Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Collins averages 1.2 ppg. This guy makes 1 free throw per game. Then we have barbosa who will average 0.0 ppg because he has a buckled knee and can't contribute. Why?

Sadly, Collins will probably still see the court before our 6th overall pick.

We are getting clowned at every corner for this deal and our overall organization and I have no defense.

I'll admit, and Gator will attest to this, that I'm not the most knowledgeable basketball fan, but expiring contracts are usually good for a team in the Wizards situation, no? Note, I'm ignoring where they are cap wise because I don't have that figured out, but generally, it's good to have more cap room if you aren't getting a whiff of the playoffs? And we got rid of a guy who isn't playing much, wasn't in favor with the coaching staff, and whose stat lines I personally cringed reading more often than not?

I'm not going to applaud the trade because I applaud almost nothing Grunfeld does, but I'm not going to ***** too loudly either.

expiring contracts are good to trade for assets to either 1) get your team below the cap to pick up more players in the futre 2) get yourself out of the luxury tax 3) use as a trade chip to get something of value in return.

We did none of this. Crawford might not be an idea player to start, but he can score, and that is a commodity in the NBA. The expiring deals don't help us at all....we didn't flip them for anything, and we still wont have any cap space in FA 2013.

Horrible trade.

Sadly, Collins will probably still see the court before our 6th overall pick.

We are getting clowned at every corner for this deal and our overall organization and I have no defense.

The defense is: who cares? We traded an end of the roster player to save money next year. The move had about as much impact on anything as a fart in the wind. Although it'll be good for Crawford because it's a chance for him to play for the next 30 games or so.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 03:59 PM ----------

This almost as bad as ATL not trading Josh, they gonna lose him for absolutely nothing.

Lose him for almost 14 million in cap relief. That's not nothing.

Crawford is an end of the bench player because the team drove his value to zero before trading him. He could be a useful bench piece on a contender and the Wizards basically put him on the front lawn with a signing saying "Free" around his neck.

Let's make a list of all the assets that the Wizards have turned into substantially less valuable assets over the past few years.

Rashard Lewis' expiring deal has to be #1 on that list, of course.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Depending on your line of work, you become desensitized to certain things you see.

Well, I'm at the point now where I just sit back and laugh at all the roster moves that the Wizards make.

How EG keeps his job is beyond me. I mean, how do you trade Crawford for NOTHING???

What was Crawford worth? To us? He wasn't even playing at all any more, he was useless to us.

They made the move for financial reasons because the team's salary is going to be high next year and they got a little relief for a player they would have waived anyway. The fan histrionics about such an insignificant move are laughable. People must have really liked Steez I guess.

this

Crawford seems to be in the mold of Nate Robinson or even Nick Young - a guy who only has value to a contender. Put him in the game for energy and figure out within five minutes whether he is feeling it or not. If the answer is yes, your bench is going to outperform the other bench. If the answer is "No," sit him asap.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

What was Crawford worth? To us? He wasn't even playing at all any more, he was useless to us.

What was he worth two months ago? Was it more than a small expiring deal and a Tom Collins?

You have this weird habit of seeing everything right in the moment even though most of your posts are about potential rosters in 2014 or 2015.

Right now, Crawford had not trade value, because the Wizards made a conscious decision to drive his trade value to zero. This seems to be their habit of late.

It's like buying a Lexus, beating it with a hammer, driving it into a swamp, and then selling it for a grand saying "Hey! What was I going to get for a Lexus that was beaten with a hammer and driven into a swamp?"

I just think he is an awesome GM so I will use him. Would Morey have ever let Crawford's value decrease like this? Or would he have figured out a way to at least get some cap relief and second round picks for him. Picks he would then somehow turn into Chase Budinger, which he would turn into Terrence Jones, which he would probably somehow magically turn into - I dunno - Chris Paul at some point.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Crawford is an end of the bench player because the team drove his value to zero before trading him. He could be a useful bench piece on a contender and the Wizards basically put him on the front lawn with a signing saying "Free" around his neck.

Crawford is an end of the bench player because he got himself demoted on an awful team. I'm not sure what value fans were expecting him to have. Boston only dealt for him because they've got no guards left and he's probably a bit better option than a street FA, but replacement level gunners like Crawford are a dime a dozen.

It's like buying a Lexus' date=' beating it with a hammer, driving it into a swamp, and then selling it for a grand saying "Hey! What was I going to get for a Lexus that was beaten with a hammer and driven into a swamp?"

.[/quote']

This made me laugh out loud! Hilarious and so true.

Crawford seems to be in the mold of Nate Robinson or even Nick Young - a guy who only has value to a contender. Put him in the game for energy and figure out within five minutes whether he is feeling it or not. If the answer is yes' date=' your bench is going to outperform the other bench. If the answer is "No," sit him asap.[/quote'] Neither of those guys have any significant trade value either
What was he worth two months ago? Was it more than a small expiring deal and a Tom Collins?

You have this weird habit of seeing everything right in the moment even though most of your posts are about potential rosters in 2014 or 2015.

Right now, Crawford had not trade value, because the Wizards made a conscious decision to drive his trade value to zero. This seems to be their habit of late.

It's like buying a Lexus, beating it with a hammer, driving it into a swamp, and then selling it for a grand saying "Hey! What was I going to get for a Lexus that was beaten with a hammer and driven into a swamp?"

I just think he is an awesome GM so I will use him. Would Morey have ever let Crawford's value decrease like this? Or would he have figured out a way to at least get some cap relief and second round picks for him. Picks he would then somehow turn into Chase Budinger, which he would turn into Terrence Jones, which he would probably somehow magically turn into - I dunno - Chris Paul at some point.

I doubt he was worth much more two months ago either.

And Crawford was never anything close to a Lexus. WE got him as an afterthought heaped into in a salary dump.

I like to plan out the future and play armchair GM as much as anyone else but I can accept the reality that very little of our roster has very much trade value and that things like Rashard Lewis's contract in the offseason before it becomes an expiring deal and Jordan Crawford aren't going to bring us back lotto picks and All Stars.

If you're saying the Wizards hold onto bad assets too long, they often do. But no fan should ever pretend he's certain about any player's market value at any point. And in this case, when exactly were we supposed to trade Crawford? When was there ever a market for him before now, right at the deadline? And it's not like we're talking about an asset that was ever really worth a damn at any point are we?

but replacement level gunners like Crawford are a dime a dozen.

Are they?

Haven't we spent the last six months talking about how the SG position in this league is pretty barren once you get past the geriatric Kobe and the aging Wade? He's a 24 year old whose shooting percentages have gone up every year and has started 62 games in the league. He brings siginficantly more to the table than someone off the street, I would think.

The Pistons won a title basically by grabbing "disgruntled" players from bad teams. It's one of the smartest move you can make in the NBA.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 05:40 PM ----------

And Crawford was never anything close to a Lexus. WE got him as an afterthought heaped into in a salary dump.

Fine. He was a Camry they hit with a hammer and drove into a swamp. Better?

I like to plan out the future and play armchair GM as much as anyone else but I can accept the reality that very little of our roster has very much trade value and that things like Rashard Lewis's contract in the offseason before it becomes an expiring deal and Jordan Crawford aren't going to bring us back lotto picks and All Stars.

If that's how you view the Wizards, you may as well sit around and hope that they get the #1 pick the year the next Lebron enters the league.

And if you read what I wrote, I never said that Crawford would net a lotto pick. But a smart organization would figure out a way to turn him into - I dunno - an actual asset like a late first rounder or multiple second rounders or cap relief. The Wizards always buy high and sell low.

:rotflmao:

****ing Ted

Read this from not too long ago:

http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/2011/04/06/learning-to-win/index.jsp

A new big three has announced its arrival - Wall, Crawford and Blatche. Big minutes - big productivity - big results. And wins, too.

Biggest bull****ter ever. Disgrace of an owner.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 05:18 PM ----------

From another board:

I'm struggling to find any rationale, and sense, any reason whatsoever for this trade and I can't find it. Even the "Avoid Luxtax Theory" doesn't make sense. Prior to the trade, the Wizards were in position to have a payroll of $62.7M next year (assuming a #5 pick). That's for 11 players. Add in two 2nd round picks and a full MLE deal for Webster (which is probably overpaying) and that only gets us to $68.8M. The luxtax threshold is $70.3M. WE COULDN'T HAVE EXCEEDED THE LUXTAX EVEN IF WE TRIED!

Shaving Crawford's $2.16M salary commitment makes no difference whatsoever.

Another head-scratcher in a long line of senseless moves. Again, this is a minor move so it's probably not a big deal, but it's yet another example of how EG squanders minor assets. This is like dumping the #46 pick, or signing Yi, or the drafting of Satoranski, or trading the Memphis pick for Crittenton. All those little failures add up.

It's not for money reasons.

This team is run by morons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/02/21/wizards-agree-to-trade-jordan-crawford-to-celtics-for-leandro-barbosa/

According to a league source, the Celtics offered Fab Melo, a 7-foot rookie from Brazil who appeared in just four games this season. The Wizards, though, had no interest in taking back salary beyond this season, especially for a big man who remains a project. They opted for the financial savings instead.

believe what you want. Houston is a much better destination than the Wizards. They have a much better front office/GM; and players know they can go there to get paid and win. Everyone knows Washington is a laughing stock of the league....we have an incompetent GM and head coach. Who would want to come here?

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 10:21 AM ----------

you really think they knew he was going to be this good and still traded him away? Seriously?

One of the reasons they have a better front office is because they do things like trade for Harden instead of praying for potential in a rookie. People may not have known Harden would be this dominant but most people knew he was a star. Pretending he came out of no where is absurd. The wizards front office **** the bed and if you would have turned the deal down too, you're just as bad.