Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm a lot more at peace with this loss than last time. It was something to grow on and we had a strong chance to win it in the end. I think we looked a lot better this game than last game. I like Seraphin and think he'll bring some consistency to our starting lineup. Crawford was real good tonight and I thought he was good last time, but just better tonight as he did a lot more in the flow of the offense (that last three pointer he took was costly though). Only problem with Crawford is which guy is going to come out next time? This guy or the guy who jacks up 30 shots and makes 10?

Good team, but not good enough to win. Is that oxymoronic?

I see know what guys are talking about with this team having Nene and Wall healthy. But that last minute or two where we just couldn't take the lead to save our life...we need someone to develop a black momba like attitude towards the end of these games. Hopefully that can be Wall or Beal. Maybe even Seraphin (but that was nuts throwing that ball out of bounds like that. Jesus)...

I hate to say it, but that guy is Crawford.

I hate to say it, but that guy is Crawford.

Augghh. Ya. Off the bench, maybe, or in the meantime, I guess. And I totally agree about Ariza from a stat-line standpoint at minimum. When you're bench scores over 60 points and you still don't break 90 as a team, something is wrong with your starting rotation. That's ridiculous...

Edit: I must of missed Beal out there, came in late. How's he looking? 0-5, rookie jitters???

Edited by Renegade7

I'm a lot more at peace with this loss than last time. It was something to grow on and we had a strong chance to win it in the end. I think we looked a lot better this game than last game. I like Seraphin and think he'll bring some consistency to our starting lineup. Crawford was real good tonight and I thought he was good last time, but just better tonight as he did a lot more in the flow of the offense (that last three pointer he took was costly though). Only problem with Crawford is which guy is going to come out next time? This guy or the guy who jacks up 30 shots and makes 10?

Yeah Seraphin looked good but he still needs to get better as a rebounder. He gets out of position too much. The guy has really nice hands and he's athletic and tough, there is no reason he shouldn't be a reliable rebounder. But he can score. He's got the instincts for it and has some moves. He can get his shot off against a quality defender.

Crawford did look good. He's elevated his level of play in Wall's absence like we needed.

Ves looked good. One thing I liked was that he played tough tonight. He will wrangle with stronger players and not back off through contact. He will give up his body on a play and hustle the entire game. I think defense comes easy to him because of his length and recovery speed. He closes out on shooters really easily.

Booker was pretty solid IMO, the best of the starters.

Beal was invisible. He doesn't need to be starting right now. He needs to come off the bench with the second line.

We have got to get more from Ariza and Okafor than we got tonight. It's shocking we were in a position to win that game with as bad as those two played.

Anyway, I liked what I saw from most of the team. I don't like Wittman and I think even less of Price. My issue is this: Guys like Pargo and Price were roster filler clearly. Why in the hell do they get so much burn???? We always do this. We play guys the FO brought in to be end of the bench bodies waaaay too much.

Wittman was horrible tonight. Very happy with Seraphin, Vesely and Crawford. Seraphin is an absolute beast and his progression points out how bad EG is at building a team. Okafor and Ariza literally serve no purpose on this team at all.

Really, really disapointed with Beal so far. I loved the pick and yeah, it's only two games, but man does he look bad. It looks like he's playing in slow motion. I could deal with turnovers and missed shots, but he's not even involved in the game. Also speaks volumes that our supposed sharp shooter wasn't in there when we needed a bucket at the end.

Wittman is horrible. I can't figure out what the hell this offense is supposed to look like and like last year too many players watching. That last shot makes me wonder if we even practice inbound plays, that was absolute ****.

Beal, again, played like absolute garbage. Ariza did nothing. Crawford is better at running the offense than either Pargo or Price and its not even close. Those two have trouble simply dribbling around against a single defender. Wall can't get back soon enough.

Seraphin... Welcome back!

Wittman was horrible tonight. Very happy with Seraphin, Vesely and Crawford. Seraphin is an absolute beast and his progression points out how bad EG is at building a team. Okafor and Ariza literally serve no purpose on this team at all.

Really, really disapointed with Beal so far. I loved the pick and yeah, it's only two games, but man does he look bad. It looks like he's playing in slow motion. I could deal with turnovers and missed shots, but he's not even involved in the game. Also speaks volumes that our supposed sharp shooter wasn't in there when we needed a bucket at the end.

Yeah he just isn't doing anything. He's a spectator trying to figure out the game on the fly.

He's just not ready to be starting at all. He needs time to sit and learn and adjust.

I don't think it's a big deal Beal wasn't chosen to take that shot though. You don't rely on a rookie in his second game to take a game winner with 4 seconds left IMO. Beal isn't going to be our big time shooter for a while IMO, rookies don't typically shoot well and shouldn't be relied upon for that. You'll only get a few like Kyrie and Curry that come in shooting like vets, they are a very rare exception.

I think Okafor will at least be alright. Ariza, not sure about. I really hope he waives his player option next season...

I don't think it's a big deal Beal wasn't chosen to take that shot though. You don't rely on a rookie in his second game to take a game winner with 4 seconds left IMO. Beal isn't going to be our big time shooter for a while IMO, rookies don't typically shoot well and shouldn't be relied upon for that. You'll only get a few like Kyrie and Curry that come in shooting like vets, they are a very rare exception.

You're right about that, I just think you'd at least have to have him in there (if he was playing better) to keep the defense honest. It's just unfortunate he's not playing well enough to consider that.

The play was DOA, not sure what Wittman was going for there. As soon as Pargo cut away from the ball after curling at the top of the key I knew we had lost the game.

Edited by MonkFan8

I didn't think we'd win this one...so it isn't as devastating...but its how we lost at the end...I'm happy they actually show they give a damn...wins will come...but its contingent on a lot...

I've been hyping Seraphin more than I should but I think performances against an elite defensive team like Boston should give fans some hope...Although we cannot expect that level of efficiency from him night in and night out. Defensively the team is about where it ought to be, and will only get better once Wall and Nene come back.

Beal needs to wake his ass up though. He's a 3rd overall pick, he's playing as bad as Derrick Williams did last year. That level of play is unacceptable for his pedigree, and randy needs to let him know it. Jordan Crawford for all his faults was the 2nd best wizard tonight and I think had he not injured himself we might not be so negative.

And finally...Randy needs to make sure Ariza stays at the end of the bench...he is absolute trash. Okafor played like **** today too. Hold the veterans accountable, there is no reason Singleton shouldn't be getting playing time over Ariza...

I don't expect to win at BOS either...but at the very least maybe not blown out. Frustrating.

They say you don't see who a big really is as a player until his fourth to sixth season. If Seraphin is already this good on the offensive end, I look forward to seeing how much he'll grow.

Seraphin is, at worst, the third big on a championship caliber team. At best, he's a really nice starter. But the one thing he has got to get better at is rebounding. I'd hate for that to be something that depresses his minutes.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2012 at 10:13 PM ----------

Beal needs to wake his ass up though. He's a 3rd overall pick, he's playing as bad as Derrick Williams did last year. That level of play is unacceptable for his pedigree, and randy needs to let him know it.

He'll be alright. James Harden was a brilliant college player that got two seasons at AZ St. and he came in as a rookie and didn't do anything either. It took him until his third season to become the guy he is now. Remember when everyone though OKC should have taken Curry or Tyreke over him? Tyreke had NBA ready moves that he came in with but never improved. Curry had an immediately translatable skill with his crazy shooting ability but he's a one dimensional player. Harden took a while, but he's a lot better player than either of them now.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

Looking back, we shouldn't have blow this team completely up. We went too young IMO. Look at the way Cleveland and New Orleans rebuilt. They got their franchise players, but kept some good players on the roster so that they didn't get too awful.

The Caron Butler trade was a mistake IMO.

We gave up Caron, D Steezy, and Haywood for Howard, Singleton, Ross, and Gooden. Looking back, we could use Caron and Haywood wouldn't have been too bad either. None of those scrubs we got back in the trade were worth a damn. Except maybe Singleton, who we let walk anyway.

They say you don't see who a big really is as a player until his fourth to sixth season. If Seraphin is already this good on the offensive end, I look forward to seeing how much he'll grow.

Seraphin is, at worst, the third big on a championship caliber team. At best, he's a really nice starter. But the one thing he has got to get better at is rebounding. I'd hate for that to be something that depresses his minutes.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2012 at 10:13 PM ----------

He'll be alright. James Harden was a brilliant college player that got two seasons at AZ St. and he came in as a rookie and didn't do anything either. It took him until his third season to become the guy he is now. Remember when everyone though OKC should have taken Curry or Tyreke over him? Tyreke had NBA ready moves that he came in with but never improved. Curry had an immediately translatable skill with his crazy shooting ability but he's a one dimensional player. Harden took a while, but he's a lot better player than either of them now.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

Looking back, we shouldn't have blow this team completely up. We went too young IMO. Look at the way Cleveland and New Orleans rebuilt. They got their franchise players, but kept some good players on the roster so that they didn't get too awful.

The Caron Butler trade was a mistake IMO.

We gave up Caron, D Steezy, and Haywood for Howard, Singleton, Ross, and Gooden. Looking back, we could use Caron and Haywood wouldn't have been too bad either. None of those scrubs we got back in the trade were worth a damn. Except maybe Singleton, who we let walk anyway.

I think Beal will eventually turn the corner but I'm worried about how the process will wear on him. Harden came into a fairly good situation with two superstars to alleviate the pressure. Our two best players are injured, a lot is falling in his shoulders to change the culture of losing around here, and that is unfair to Beal, but thats just the way it is. As far as how building this teams go...we're still missing our two best players, given the play of the opposition and our play in our first two games, we could, and probably should be 2-0.

I'm not going to completely panic yet, but Randy needs to own up to idea of playing the best players. I'm glad he left Seraphin in when it mattered. I just hope the early work doesn't re-injure him. Oh, and where the **** is shaun livingston :mad:

Hear hear.

I don't know what it is, but this position has just been impossible for us to find, and 75% of college ball seems like 6'7 scorers.

Sometimes I really miss Caron. This team could use him so bad.

yeah...in hindsight, completely blowing up the Arenas era team wasn't the soundest idea but I understand why.

We could have kept Butler definitely but Ted was determined to re-make the team like he did when he traded all the old Caps way back when

Ugh just watched the game. Haven't looked at the box score yet, just going off what I saw.

My observations: Seraphin is the stud I always thought he would be. If Crawford can play like this off the bench I will be very pleased, sucks he got injured there down the end. If not for that injury I think we would have won. Ariza has got to go, he looked terrible and no one on our team defended Pierce all night long. I thought this is why we drafted Chris Singleton?!?!?! Isn't he supposed to be our James Posey? Why the hell did he not even leave the bench as Pierce dominated us all game long. PGs looked fairly decent tonight, shot pretty well. Webster shot poorly and that final play was just an absolute joke. A fade away heave from the corner from Webster?! WTF? Emeka was less then stellar, not too excited about him yet although I think when/if Nene gets in there he'll look better. Booker also looked pretty solid, good to see him bounce back from the first game. Beal has me worried after two games. I was extremely high on him and still am I guess but he just didn't show anything tonight. Sullinger on the other hand looked solid, as I predicted Sully will be a very solid NBA player, he landed in a great situation in Boston.

That pretty much covers everyone. Oh yeah, glad to see Cartier hoop it up there at the end, I think he can be a solid bench shooter on a good team. Always liked the guy. Anyways, not a bad game I guess considering the injuries we have. Although that opening quarter when we had the starters was just terrible. I hope Wittman switches up the starters for the next game.

So... quick question: Which FO move will prove to be the worst one for the franchise in the past 15 years?

A: Jordan picks Kwame Brown

B: Washington trades 5th overall pick for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

C: Washington trades Rashard Lewis for Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor

D: Washington trades Caron Butler, Desean Stevenson, and Brendan Haywood for Josh Howard, James Singleton, Quinton Ross, and Drew Gooden

E: Washington trades Antawn Jamison and Drew Gooden for Ilgalksus ( who is released within a week and rejoins Cleveland) and Al Thornton

F: Arenas is misdiagnosed, is greenlit to play after major knee surgery... resulting in 2 more knee surgeries and the end of his career ( basically)

G: Andre Blatche is resigned

I am not quite sure which way i fall, as i hated every single move... but im voting D. We still have no shooting guard while Caron( albeit injury prone) continues to light it up at times, Stevenson had some great defense for a good 2-3 more years and is still starting in this league for ATL, and Haywood who is also still starting and has always provided decent defense. All three of which went on to win a title with dallas. Meanwhile, Howard barely even played for washington (even though everyone in the league knew he was already damaged goods due to his knees; I dont even remember Quinton Ross playing for Washington; Drew Gooden never played for Washington and is traded essentially for Al Thornton, and James Singleton is still playing in China. Just awful