Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

God help us if Nene & Okafor end up injured at the same time, which is somewhat likely given their histories.

That's not that bad considering Seraphin improved a ton in the last months of the season. That is another reason this trade sucks.

We already had Kevin Seraphin to play big minutes at C. We now have our cap tied up for two seasons in an overpaid back up center. :ols:

That's not that bad considering Seraphin improved a ton in the last months of the season. That is another reason this trade sucks.

We already had Kevin Seraphin to play big minutes at C. We now have our cap tied up for two seasons in an overpaid back up center. :ols:

It would kill the depth if they went down at the same time. The depth of the frontcourt is the overwhelming positive, not their individual characteristics.

It would kill the depth if they went down at the same time. The depth of the frontcourt is the overwhelming positive, not their individual characteristics.

Chances of both going down at the same time are quite slim.

One of Booker or Vesely will be riding the bench this season. I have a feeling that another trade might be coming as well.

In the East, we'll be fighting for the 8th seed with the current roster. I think they'll be in contention for the playoffs next year. I'm not in love with the trade, but I'm also not going to deny that we didn't get better from the deal.

Assuming everyone can stay moderately healthy, we'll be ridiculous on the defensive end of the court.

*I wonder if they'll use Booker to acquire another draft pick?

Why on earth would anyone assume Okafor can stay healthy? Especially on the Wizards where no one, no matter how young and resilient, can make such a claim! He isn't going to stay healthy and Ariza is on his 6th team for a reason... he's mediocre. All for the low low price of 21 million bucks each of the next two seasons. Great!

To me this looks more like a tanking strategy for two more years than it does an attempt to win anything.

If the Wizards do trade Trevor Booker, I think they will end up regretting it. I think he is going to have a breakout season soon wherever he goes.

Not sure if its Booker, but with the pieces that came to us, you have to think another move is likely.

Booker is most likely candidate because he probably brings back higher value than anyone else, unless they're planning on flipping Okafor.

Edited by StillUnknown

I like this:

Okafor, the son of Nigerian immigrants, is known for not only being a good basketball player but also for being an elite student. His major at UConn was finance, and he graduated with honors after three years in May 2004 with a 3.8 GPA. Okafor was named the Academic All-American of the Year in 2004 for his work on and off the court.

Why on earth would anyone assume Okafor can stay healthy? Especially on the Wizards where no one, no matter how young and resilient, can make such a claim! He isn't going to stay healthy and Ariza is on his 6th team for a reason... he's mediocre. All for the low low price of 21 million bucks each of the next two seasons. Great!

To me this looks more like a tanking strategy for two more years than it does an attempt to win anything.

How is it tanking when you're going to have a potential starting lineup (Wall, Beal, Ariza, Nene, Okafor) that's 100000x better than what we've had since the big 3 were in their primes?

How is it tanking when you're going to have a potential starting lineup (Wall, Beal, Ariza, Nene, Okafor) that's 100000x better than what we've had since the big 3 were in their primes?

At this point, people are just conditioned to hate on anything Ernie does. Like I said, I'm not even arguing this ****. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm not going to sit here and debate with people that won't budge from their opinions one centimeter.

I don't think its tanking, as much as it is resigning yourself to mediocrity. Tying up cap space in a load of crap isn't ideal.

Emeka Okafor stopped being a useful player two seasons ago. Trevor Ariza has never been good besides one post season which netted him a contract he wasn't worthy of. He's been an enormous bust ever since.

Trevor Ariza shouldn't be starting for even an 8th seeded team. And Okafor is not useful to this team at the cap space he will use up.

Edited by No Excuses

The one problem I have with the trade, if Beal is the obvious choice, why not wait until draft night? There is still an outside chance Beal goes to the Bobcats. I guess it really does mean we are happy with Beal/MKG. Hopefully, Beal is there at 2.

The solid core we would have with the new veterans could get us to an 8th or 7th seed, anything higher would be dependent upon the progress of our young guys.

Because Ariza and Okafor don't make this team better and taking it further, they stop this team from getting better. This deal is really easy to analyze:

New Orleans wanted to dump two salaries. This means that a team willing to take them is in position to ask for something of value in exchange for doing so or giving them something they need to be rid of. An expiring deal in the NBA is valuable because it's how teams trade cap space. We gave them something of value + a 2nd round pick (relatively worthless) in exchange for something they desperately wanted to be rid of. This is like offering more than the asking price at a car dealership. Ernie is a clown and this doesn't make the team better.

this doesn't make the team better.

People will not understand this. There seems to be a romanticized version of Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor. One was never a consistently good player, the other is old, injury riddled and declining.

Edited by No Excuses

I don't think its tanking, as much as it is resigning yourself to mediocrity. Tying up cap space in a load of crap isn't ideal.

Emeka Okafor stopped being a useful player two seasons ago. Trevor Ariza has never been good besides one post season which netted him a contract he wasn't worthy of. He's been an enormous bust ever since.

We keep talking about cap space...first thing about having it is being enticing enough for a high-caliber player to sign. Who exactly was going to come here? On top of it all, both of these contracts are off the books in 2 seasons.

Like I said, I'm not in love w. the trade but I'm not going to sit here and say that things are status quo. We'll have a DRASTICALLY better team to start the year in 2012-13, and let's see what can happen. Didn't we all want this team to be better? Well, now we have a better team and we're still complaining?

Got a feeling many people wouldn't be happy unless EG pulled a rabbit outta his hat and laded KD via a trade. LOL

Listen, why is this a bad trade?

We traded a dead, useless Gilbert Arenas to acquire Rashard Lewis. Trash was traded for more Trash. So Lewis was just trash sitting on the roster.

Now we get a serviceable big man who can maybe contribute off the bench and compete with Seraphin for minutes. These young guys should not be handed anything to them as they were last season. They should earn their spots. Let Kevin Seraphin beat Okafor out for the starting job, and then we have a good bench player in Emeka.

Both players only have two years on the contracts, so we are not tied up long term, we can make a big play in FA in two years.

People complain about everything on here, typically Washingtonian fans who think they know more than they do. I don't think we got worse than better.

The one problem I have with the trade, if Beal is the obvious choice, why not wait until draft night? There is still an outside chance Beal goes to the Bobcats. I guess it really does mean we are happy with Beal/MKG. Hopefully, Beal is there at 2.

The solid core we would have with the new veterans could get us to an 8th or 7th seed, anything higher would be dependent upon the progress of our young guys.

I remember reading that the Wizards were a team that thought Harri Barnes could play the 2...maybe he's the choice if Beal is off the board.

Not a big fan of Barnes at the 2...

I hope this deal doesn't eat into Seraphin's minutes, I would rather see him in the starting lineup than Okafor.

Well lets consider a genius option: Let Kevin earn his minutes!! If he is that good, which I think he can be, let him earn it and beat out Okafor. Or we can go by last year's rules and just hand out jobs on a silver platter with no competition. Poor Kevin Seraphin, little baby might actually have to earn his job now. Poor thing.

And consider this, IF Seraphin can't beat out Okafor for a starting job and minutes, he probably ain't got a great future in the NBA anyways!!

Edited by DallasBlowsBig

We keep talking about cap space...first thing about having it is being enticing enough for a high-caliber player to sign. Who exactly was going to come here? On top of it all, both of these contracts are off the books in 2 seasons.

Like I said, I'm not in love w. the trade but I'm not going to sit here and say that things are status quo. We'll have a DRASTICALLY better team to start the year in 2012-13,

This is the part I don't get it. They will not be drastically better because Trevor Ariza kind of stinks and Okafor's production has been going down for quite some time now. There is a LOT that can be done by a competent GM with 21 million in cap space than a guy who sucks and a guy who is worth maybe 1/3rd of his current contract.

Not directed at you, but Okafor will be making 14 million for the next two seasons. That's a declining in skill big man who will eat up that much space. I remember when people were slamming the idea of Javale making that much money. How about a guy who is way past his prime?

Edited by No Excuses