Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Anyone thought of maybe taking a look at Jeff Green in free agency? He's undoubtedly been a bust up to this point in his career, but injuries haven't helped. Maybe he still has some potential. He'd probably be cheap to begin with but maybe we'd get a hometown discount too.

Multiple reports have EG interested in Green. In fact, Ernie loves Jeff. Always has....going back to the G'Town days.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

I'm still advocating for Andre Drummond.

Might as well go for the homerun.

Anyone thought of maybe taking a look at Jeff Green in free agency? He's undoubtedly been a bust up to this point in his career, but injuries haven't helped. Maybe he still has some potential. He'd probably be cheap to begin with but maybe we'd get a hometown discount too.

Terrence Jones = younger version of Jeff Green. I want him....I've probably said that like 5 times in this thread :ols:

Edited by Mr Awesome

Jeff Green is a Bust? He pretty much averages 15-6-2 when healthy. He's a solid forward when he is healthy. Outside of Williams though, he will be the most coveted FA. I wouldn't mind giving him an incentive based contract with a team option for a 2nd season. Dude will command 7-10 million though.

Jeff Green is a Bust? He pretty much averages 15-6-2 when healthy. He's a solid forward when he is healthy. Outside of Williams though, he will be the most coveted FA. I wouldn't mind giving him an incentive based contract with a team option for a 2nd season. Dude will command 7-10 million though.

He went for 10-3 last year. Didn't play a game this year. And he was so highly touted coming out of GTown, that yeah, 15-6 is a bust. As far as $7-10 per, this article says different:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/5/23/3038750/nba-free-agents-2012-jeff-green

Better Know A Free Agent: Jeff Green

by Mike Prada

May 23, 2012

Depending on what the Washington Wizards do with Andray Blatche and Rashard Lewis, they could have around $12 million of salary-cap space to spend this summer. It remains to be seen if the Wizards actually use it or bank it towards the 2013 class, but in any event, there are a number of free agents that could help the team's push into playoff contention. We'll take a look at several of those options in this running series. Next up: local favorite Jeff Green.

Team: Boston Celtics

Type: Unrestricted free agent.

This past year: Well, he didn't play this year after doctors discovered a very serious heart ailment. Two years ago, he was traded from the Thunder to the Celtics, and he struggled to figure out how to become a part-time player that came off the bench. Of course, you could argue he was basically the same player with both teams, just in less minutes. His PER in 49 games for the Thunder in 2010-11 was the exact same (12.9) as his PER in 26 regular-season games for the Celtics.

Why he's fit in well: He's deferential, I guess, and he's a local guy. He's also a splendid person from all accounts. All OK if he's your ninth man.

Why he might not: To those who like Green: please explain to me what he does well? Shoot? His three-point percentage the past two years: 33 percent, 30 percent. Rebound? His career rebound rate is 9.4, which is average … for a small forward. Defend? The Thunder were 6.78 points better per 100 possessions with Green off the floor in 2010-11, 9.21 points per 100 possessions better in 2009-10, 3.51 in 2008-09 and 4 in 2007-08. Exhibit good "basketball IQ?" That's a buzzword people use to try to explain why he is so highly-regarded, but it doesn't manifest itself on the court at all. The truth is that he's a very mediocre player who wasn't getting any better before his heart ailment and doesn't really bring anything special to the table. There's a reason the Thunder went from "nice young team" to "championship contender" once they traded him away.

Likely price tag: Given his health issues, he probably won't sign for very much.

Verdict: Jeff Green is a wonderful person and I hope he can keep his career going after his scary heart issues in December. I just hope it's for a team other than the Wizards, and that's no matter his price range. Roster spots are important, and I don't see much upside in giving Green one in the hopes that he'll revive what has mostly been a mediocre career this far.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

In all fairness to him, I don't think it was wise to play him at the 4. He is a tweener undoubtedly, maybe more in a point forward role. His transition in Boston was odd, it seemed more than anything the lack of consistant playing time made him lose all fluidity to his game. He does need to get more efficient, but as long as the price isn't too high I don't think he is a bad guy to pursue. I'd rather 8 million at Batum but I doubt we'd get him for that.

Not sure Green makes a ton of sense for us anyway. We've got a few tweener forwards who don't rebound already. It's a plus that he can shoot, but not enough to go out and pay him, especially given the health risks.

Ersan Ilyasova is the FA I want to see us go out and get. I'd pay him 7 or 8 million a year to be a starter in a Wall + MKG lineup. He can shoot and he can rebound. Don't need a whole lot else from our 4 spot if we had MKG. He's almost too good a fit to be true. Makes me think there is no way we will get him.

Kris Humphries would be nice too.

And I've said it before but I'll say it again, Gerald Green or Willie Green make a lot of sense for us. If you can sign them for a couple years at 2 or 3 million per year, that's a good deal IMO. If Brandon Rush wasn't likely to be so expensive, I'd consider him too. You could start one of them in between Wall and MKG and have Ersan at the 4 and Nene or Seraphin at the 5. That'd be a good offense. The defense would be good enough I suppose.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

It'd be a God send if Vesely or Booker or Singleton came back from this summer knowing how to shoot. Or Wall...

Celtics might as well trade Pierce for the 5th pick(maybe a few other parts), take a chance on Drummond and resign Green.

I know someone in the top 10 would want a vet SF like Pierce for their pick. Sac-Town could be a good fit with Evans/Thorton/Cousins already there.

Start rebuilding around...

Rondo

21st or 22nd pick high upside SG (Or Bradley for his defense)

Green

Bass

Drummond

Plus the other 1st rounder they have.

Edited by SuperBash

I wish I wasn't reminded of this: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2472&dat=20030629&id=lfQ0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=qTsKAAAAIBAJ&pg=6977,8032054

Bullets Forever

‏@BulletsForever

In 2003, the ‪#Wizards‬ were reportedly close to a deal that would have dealt Kwame for the #5 pick (Dwyane Wade)

We still got Caron Butler out of Kwame. I've always felt it's a shame that the Lakers then flipped him for Gasol, because it kinda overshadows our rape of them.

Draft Express is saying we dealt Rashard Lewis & pick 46 for Okafor & Ariza

If true, seems to me Beal has to be selection.

Where is the part that says what we got? Okafor and Ariza are bad deals they want to shed... so we gave them an expiring deal and a pick for what exactly?

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/215507402349477889

Jonathan Givony

‏@DraftExpress

NBA source tells me Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza have been traded to the Washington Wizards for Rashard Lewis and the #46 pick

Marc Stein of ESPN confirmed it on twitter as well.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

Doesn't make much sense to draft MKG now, Beal has to be selection.

Edited by StillUnknown

Chris Littmann

‏@chrislittmann

For those wondering: Lewis has 1 year, $22M remaining on his deal. Okafor has two years at about 14M per. Ariza is 2 yrs, about $7M per.

I guess that's not too bad then.

Beal has to be the pick now I would assume...