Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It looks like Harrison Barnes is going to be the pick.

Barnes had a draft workout for Sacramento, and now its cancelled and this news is put out the same day that he worked out for Washington.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/sacramento-kings/2012/6/19/3097885/sacramento-kings-draft-rumors-harrison-barnes

He also worked out with Cleveland, he could've got the promise from them.

Everyone's highlights look good, this is Barnes this past year. Bad quality but you can see enough. Guy just reminds me of Danny Granger.

I would say he has better handles, and shot than MKG. Athleticism is a wash imo. He is obviously more advanced offensively than MKG, and probably more mature (not that MKG is immature).

I don't think MKG will be bad but if we want a SF I rather go Barnes. I can't deal with another player that is crazy athletic.... but can't shoot. And this guy has a much worse jump shot than Wall did coming out.

I don't think you have a good read on MKG.

MKG's handles are >>> than Barnes's. It's not even close. He's also much quicker and more explosive on the court than Barnes too, I don't care what Barnes's test numbers are. Dude is a plodder and MKG plays at a different speed. And I wouldn't say Barnes is as mature as MKG either. MKG came in day one and took over that team. He was it's heart and it's leader. The word on Barnes from day one is that he's a better follower and beta dog than a leader. Barnes has got a mature mid range shooting game, if that's what you mean.

Offensively, Barnes's mid range game is way ahead of MKG's. But MKG is a much, much better slasher than Barnes and he's a much better passer too. He's also a better finisher at the rack, and he's got a nifty little post game and jump hook that Barnes doesn't really have.

He's also much better than Barnes defensively.

Two months ago it wasn't even a discussion that MKG was better than Barnes. Everyone understood this to be the case. Nothing has changed since then.

---------- Post added June-19th-2012 at 09:02 PM ----------

MKG, on offense, isn't on the same planet as Barnes. Barnes has a variety of shots and moves he uses, while MKG hasnt figured out how to properly shoot a basketball. There is more to basketball than scoring however and people assume MKG will improve offensively.

I wouldn't consider either of them if TRob is available.

If you restrict offense to mean just mid range jumpshooting and three point shooting, then yes, you're correct.

But since offense also involves handling the ball, passing, driving, posting up, finishing at the rack, selecting shots, etc. that statement is flat out wrong.

MKG is far better than Barnes at all of those other things. And he's two years younger. A better athlete, better defender, better motor/hustle, much more of a winner, so on and so forth.

If Barnes is so much better than MKG, then there shouldn't be such a steep difference in their efficiency. Barnes may be a more skilled scorer than MKG, but he's a much less effective offensive player.

There isn't a doubt in my mind than MKG is the better player today and I think he always will be better than Barnes.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'm really warming up to Beal. I've been pro MKG since the tourney. Barnes is OK in my book, but I just don't think we should take him withe number 3. If we wind up trading down and can pick him up (unlikely cause reports say that Cleveland wants him at 4, but say they move to 2 and get Drummond) then I wouldn't mind as much, but right now I can't justify picking him over MKG.

The guy who I'm torn about is Robinson. I'm all for getting Robinson, but if we do then I think we need to trade one of Vesely, Booker, Nene or Seraphin. I'd probably want to keep one of Nene or Seraphin since they both can play the 5, but the question becomes how much do other teams value those players? And do we want to draft a ready-for-the NBA guy in Robinson and a need-to-be-developed guy like what we'll probably get in a trade for a pick at the bottom of the lottery? Is that really progress?

That's where I'm torn because I'm not saying that Seraphin/Booker/Vesely are all stars or anything, but we're already seeing their progress and so adding a player like MKG or Beal (or even Barnes) just adds another piece to the puzzle. Adding Robinson adds a couple of pieces, takes a couple away and we've got to look up and see how it fits again. What I liked about this team last year after the trade was the chemistry, the hard-nosed ball playing, the less me-ball (minus Crawford), and the focus on team defense. Hopefully we'll be able to do that again next year, but if we go replacing half the starting lineup, the players have to learn each other's game again and we run the risk of becoming the laughing stock of the league again.

And I really don't want Drummond. I trust that he has potential, but knowing our luck, he'll be like every other big man we draft on potential - he'll suck for us and then go somewhere else when his rookie deal is up and win a championship. I just don't trust us in developing players, especially big men.

MKG is a wing player. His ability to dunk and post up is why 6 or 7 players on his team had more shot attempts per game. Those skills are great... For a PF and C. Shooting is an essential skill of any wing player that intends to be an offensive force. Name a great SF playing right now that can't reliably hit a mid range shot? He's not a great or even good offensive player.

I'm not saying he would be but things are what they are.

I'd take MKG over Barnes btw. I think Barnes is a 17 ppg inconsistent player in the NBA that no one can figure out how big a salary his production is worth. If MKG can figure out how to hit a midrange shot reliably he could be a star. You can't teach perimeter players how to be tough and attack angry... But you might be able to teach them how to shoot.

Edited by Destino

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2012/06/kennedy-teams-trying-to-trade-into-top-4-to-select-beal/

“There’s no way Beal slips out of the top four,” said one league source. The Cleveland Cavaliers will draft him if he’s available at four.”

“Executives are falling in love with Bradley Beal. Teams are trying to trade into the top four to select Beal, according to multiple sources.”

Anyone else feel James Harden has been exposed a bit in this series?

Anyone still believe he's worth the second or third pick? Miami pretty much laid out the blueprint for guarding him: make him go right...

Absolutely he is a very good player damn sure better then Beal, Barnes or Mkg will ever be. He is getting the same shots he did all year just not hitting them. The heat have nothing to do with it game 1 he was constantly do whatever he wanted.

This assumes that MKG would be the best talent available. You could easily make an argument for TRob & Beal BPA among the 3. Some fans, myself included, view Beal as BPA if available when we select & he fits a need so its the best of both worlds.

Again, I won't complain if we draft MKG because he is a talent, but we haven't had much success in advancing a players skill set beyond what they came with. Seraphin being only exception and you could argue much of his improvement came from the playing on the French National team.

I hear you. But the problem with what you said is that it won't really matter who draft then. All of the players the Wiz have to chose from have holes in their games. If there is a belief that this team can not develop players than all is lost because one of these players "as-is" will be enough to make this team a winner. Our best bet would be to trade the pick and pick up veterans that are already developed.

I'm not sure who the BPA will be but I want the Wiz to pick the BPA because the team lacks talent. So if that player is Beal, TRob, Barnes, MKG or even Drummond than that's the direction I want them to go. It would just make me sick to my stomach for us to do a Dark over Melo type selection because of a current need.

Absolutely he is a very good player damn sure better then Beal, Barnes or Mkg will ever be. He is getting the same shots he did all year just not hitting them. The heat have nothing to do with it game 1 he was constantly do whatever he wanted.

It's not just that he hasn't been hitting his shots. He's been horrible all around. He is legitimately weak going right. Dude is overrated.

It's not just that he hasn't been hitting his shots. He's been horrible all around. He is legitimately weak going right. Dude is overrated.

Your nuts on this one Steve no offense. Even shooting 2-10 last night he still grabbed 10 boards. He has missed alot of wide open jumpers the last two games he will normally drain.

If we get a player remotely close to being as good as Harden we will be in great shape.

Harden has been a major reason why the Thunder are losing. Look at his numbers in every finals game other than game three. He's something like 25% from the field 18% from 3 point range and averaging 7points per game in over 30 minutes each. That's scrub level production. Also rebounds from guards are a nice bonus, they are like assists are to PF and C. You'll take them but not at the cost of the primary items you need from a position.

I think his ability to be more than a third option is very much in question.

Your nuts on this one Steve no offense. Even shooting 2-10 last night he still grabbed 10 boards. He has missed alot of wide open jumpers the last two games he will normally drain.

If we get a player remotely close to being as good as Harden we will be in great shape.

Are you kidding me? How can you possibly think Harden played well last night? It wasn't just the shooting. What about the dumb turnovers and getting completely abused by LeBron? He's been terrible this series.

Are you kidding me? How can you possibly think Harden played well last night? It wasn't just the shooting. What about the dumb turnovers and getting completely abused by LeBron? He's been terrible this series.

After I saw Harden drive the lane and throw the ball at dudes knees two times in a row after missing some open shots, I began texting my buddy that he was playing awful lately. As I was texting, Harden stole the ball for a easy dunk/layup so I almost deleted the text I was writing. Then, Harden amazing blows the layup so I sent the text with confidence.

I don't think I've ever been so torn on a draft in my life. Normally I fall in love with a player or two and am deadset on getting them. This year, I really have no idea. There are so many options that make sense, so many players who have the potential to be special, but you know only one or two will. This is both a scary draft and a promising draft.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I don't think I've ever been so torn on a draft in my life. Normally I fall in love with a player or two and am deadset on getting them. This year, I really have no idea. There are so many options that make sense, so many players who have the potential to be special, but you know only one or two will. This is both a scary draft and a promising draft.

I felt the same way. Now I'm in a good place on Beal and MKG and TRob though. We'll get one of them barring something strange happening.

Go with your gut. You know things like chemistry and being a good teammate truly matter. You know it's important to have overachievers who are greater than the sum of their parts rather than underachievers who are only the sum of their parts (or less).

That's the foundation of why I like Beal and MKG so much more than Barnes.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 12:07 PM ----------

Beal/MKG/TRob and I won't complain. My opinion is locked in for those three. Beal has been a favorite when the pre-draft process began so he'll probably get me the most excited.

I'm in the same boat although swap Beal with MKG for me and that's how I feel.

My order of preference right now is: 1.) MKG, 2.) Beal, 3.) TRob

He has' nt played well at all but its a few games on the biggest stage. Thats not what I was commenting on anyway. You implied he was overrated. We all can see he had a few bad games.

I'd take him in his 3rd year over anybody in this draft but Davis. He has played in the Nba almost as a duplicate of how he played in college almost exact %' s etc.

After I saw Harden drive the lane and throw the ball at dudes knees two times in a row after missing some open shots, I began texting my buddy that he was playing awful lately. As I was texting, Harden stole the ball for a easy dunk/layup so I almost deleted the text I was writing. Then, Harden amazing blows the layup so I sent the text with confidence.

Harden has lost his confidence. He's not adjusting to the stage or the opponent well.

But I think he's also got some skill deficiencies that get overlooked because he's the third option on such a great team with two truly brilliant offensive players ahead of him. Durant and Westbrook make him and everyone else look real good.

I have a preference but I don't trust it. I think the team scouts need to decide between MKG, Beal, TRob, and Drummond based entirely on who is most likely to become a superstar. No interest in highest floor and lowest risk. This team is going no where with the addition of a quality role player. We need a second star and I'm fine if we miss out on a "good" player in search of a great one.

It woul have helped to have a long term solution at head coach or GM so we knew what we wanted the team to be but Ted screwed that up.

Edited by Destino

He has' nt played well at all but its a few games on the biggest stage. Thats not what I was commenting on anyway. You implied he was overrated. We all can see he had a few bad games.

I'd take him in his 3rd year over anybody in this draft but Davis. He has played in the Nba almost as a duplicate of how he played in college almost exact %' s etc.

Fair enough. But I don't want to take him unless we keep him in almost the exact same role. This is his absolutely ideal role, he will never be better than he is right now playing third fiddle to Westbrook and Durant.

I don't think we can reproduce that situation at all here. He'd have to become our #1 option by necessity if we traded the third pick for him. I don't think he's suited for that role. He'd never live up to our expectations here.

I'm starting to really warm up to Beal. But I still think Drummond is the go big or don't go at all pick. And MKG continues to slide for me. Just not feeling him for some reason. TRob I have mixed emotions about. I think my opinion of him depends on how much sleep I got.

I have a preference but I don't trust it. I think the team scouts need to decide between MKG, Beal, TRob, and Drummond based entirely on who is most likely to become a superstar. No interest in highest floor and lowest risk. This team is going no where with the addition of a quality role player. We need a second star and I'm fine if we miss out on a "good" player in search of a great one.

It woul have helped to have a long term solution at head coach or GM so we knew what we wanted the team to be but Ted screwed that up.

I think MKG has the best chance when factoring in talent as well as the intangibles.

I don't trust Drummond at all. Has Blatche/Kwame written all over him.

Beal and TRob won't be stars, probably good players at best who make the occasional all-star game.

Anyone thought of maybe taking a look at Jeff Green in free agency? He's undoubtedly been a bust up to this point in his career, but injuries haven't helped. Maybe he still has some potential. He'd probably be cheap to begin with but maybe we'd get a hometown discount too.