Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So Kevin Seraphin earned his minutes by beating out no one else worthy on the roster? lol, if that's earning minutes wow

Its not about beating out players on a bad roster, its about watching his skill-set develop against other players in the league. That skill-set went largely unnoticed until he received consistent minutes.

pretty good summation on the financial impact of the deal:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/6/20/3101901/wizards-hornets-trade-emeka-okafor-trevor-ariza-salary-cap#storyjump

That means that, barring bounce-back seasons from Ariza and/or Okafor that cause them to opt out of their current deals, the Wizards probably won't be a free-agent player in 2013 either. Essentially, they've decided that Nene, Ariza and Okafor are their free-agent acquisitions for the next two years, with Nene also being one for the two years after that. This also means that the Wizards will not be able to execute unbalanced trades with the salary cap, which could be even more valuable that using the space to sign free agents in the coming years, with many teams likely to shed long deals to get under the luxury tax before harsher penalties kick in after the 2012-13 season.

The Wizards clearly are a better team now than they were before making this trade. It remains to be seen if the salary-cap cost is worth that improvement.

Edited by StillUnknown

And you know what, we gave up ****ing Rashard ****ing Lewis for them. Don't you need to give up something of value for it to be a bad trade? And spare me the expiring contract ****. They've become less valuable over the last few years. And we only got an extra year on that expiring deal anyway.

If the nba trade rules allowed them to give us those two players would they have done so? Absolutely. The wizards got nothing from the Hornets that they wouldn't have happily given away, that's how you know it's a bad deal.

And you know what, we gave up ****ing Rashard ****ing Lewis for them. Don't you need to give up something of value for it to be a bad trade? And spare me the expiring contract ****. They've become less valuable over the last few years. And we only got an extra year on that expiring deal anyway.

EXACTLY!!!!

And here are the salary cap implications:

The Washington Wizards have made a pretty big trade eight days before the 2012 NBA Draft, acquiring Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza from the New Orleans Hornets for Rashard Lewis and the No. 46 pick. We will talk extensively about the on-court fit of Ariza and Okafor over the next few days, as well as what this means for the Wizards' decision in the 2012 NBA Draft.

But for right now, it's important to note the salary-cap implications of this deal. They are real, and they are spectacular. Well, maybe not spectacular, but I just wanted to work in a Seinfeld reference.

Make the jump for more.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/6/20/3101901/wizards-hornets-trade-emeka-okafor-trevor-ariza-salary-cap#storyjump

Yes, it doesn't look like we'll be major players this year or next....but keep 2014 in mind. Why? We'll be leaps and bounds better than what we've been in the Wall-era to date. We'll be a MUCH improved team this year and probably next. The end of the 2014 season, we'll have expiring contracts and PLENTY of money to use in FA. Tell me what would look more attractive? A wizards team sans the move just made...or a (hopefully) 40-45+ win team at the conclusion of the 2014 season? I'd like to think we'd be an excellent FA destination by then.

i think a lot of people here act like the NBA is the NFL and team building is the same.. its not.

We need to not suck next year so Walls confidence isn't completely shot and so he develops into a FRANCHISE player we want him to be..

This deal makes the team on walls shoulders to take us to the playoffs. This is his team and in 2 years we can be rid of these contracts and make a splash in FA possibly.

But right now we need to get better and this trade certainly did. We will be very good on D next year. Im starting to see us looking like the bulls

QFE!!!! Agreed w/ EVERYTHING you said.

Love the assumption that this trade will somehow leap frog us into 40-45 win territory.

And if it doesn't, we have no flexibility and a really really crappy team.

But somehow Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor, coming from another doormat of a team will transform us. :ols:

Edited by No Excuses

Okafor can still play and Ariza defends well but this is horrible without #10

Yeah. Where was the goddamn carrot for us?

We gave them 21 million in cap space AND a pick to take two players they would give away if they could off their hands?

WTF? This was the dumbest trade I've ever heard of. One team gets everything they want and the other just takes it up the ass.

Horrible, horrible trade.

Do people realize that Shard's expiring contract was the single most valuable cap clearing tool in the entire league. We'd have been better off keeping it for ourselves than trading it for two more bad contracts.

Why didn't we get #10?

EXACTLY!!!!

And here are the salary cap implications:

Yes, it doesn't look like we'll be major players this year or next....but keep 2014 in mind. Why? We'll be leaps and bounds better than what we've been in the Wall-era to date. We'll be a MUCH improved team this year and probably next. The end of the 2014 season, we'll have expiring contracts and PLENTY of money to use in FA. Tell me what would look more attractive? A wizards team sans the move just made...or a (hopefully) 40-45+ win team at the conclusion of the 2014 season? I'd like to think we'd be an excellent FA destination by then.

This will give Wall a lot more confidence playing with smarter players with experience, by the time 2014 rolls around, he'll be more motivated to resign with us. Plus we'll have the money to get him other toys or resign or extend what we already have if some player progress nicely like Ves and Seraphin.

Cap room is like hoarding to some fans. It's a dream to have it and it's amazing when you get it. You fall deeply in love with it. Someone suggests you get rid of it to better yourself and you freak the **** out. People can't stand losing it but I think it's overrated unless you think we were really going to sign Gordon, Batum, Illyasova, Jeff Green, etc.

Edited by SuperBash

If the nba trade rules allowed them to give us those two players would they have done so? Absolutely. The wizards got nothing from the Hornets that they wouldn't have happily given away, that's how you know it's a bad deal.

Yeah. I can't understand how anyone can think this was a good deal? We just got bent over a barrell. It was terrible. So let's see how this offseason has gone:

1.) extend EG inexplicably

2.) extend Wittman without a search... inexplicably

3.) horrible trade where we give up something for less than nothing and are clear losers in the deal

4.) we haven't even gotten to the draft or free agency yet...

Oh my God. This might be the offseason we can point to that ruined John Wall's career as a Washington Wizard. What the **** is wrong with you Ted?

Ariza is a 9 year vet with a career PER of 13.6 making 7 million per year. He is a millstone, nothing more. He almost certainly takes a roster spot away from someone more deserving, and we'd probably be better off starting Vesely or Cartier Martin than him.

Okafor is at least decent, but not enough to take on his ridiculous deal much less give up something of value for him.

Why didn't we get the tenth pick from this? That has to be explained IMO. That's the only thing that could have made this value fair.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Because we are the Wizards...we dont get deals like that :pfft:

Your theory is as good as any.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

You know, if Ted is trying to be cheap and save money this offseason by keeping Ernie and Wittman, he's doing it wrong. I'd almost rather he was a cheapskate so something like this deal wouldn't happen.

You guys keep talking about "why didn't we get the #10 from NO as well?" Why SHOULD they throw in the #10? They are trying to rebuild their team as well...some of yall make it seem like they don't value their draft picks LOL. I mean ****, if the deal isn't lopsided in total favor of the Wizards, it's an awful trade, right?

See my sig.

Glad you're on board steve. :)

That face only a mother could love. With beer goggles.

Every couple of months the Wizards do something to kick a fan in the nuts eh? When EG's extension was announced I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

You guys keep talking about "why didn't we get the #10 from NO as well?" Why SHOULD they throw in the #10? They are trying to rebuild their team as well...some of yall make it seem like they don't value their draft picks LOL. I mean ****, if the deal isn't lopsided in total favor of the Wizards, it's an awful trade, right?

One team got everything they wanted out of that deal and the other... facilitated the method for that team to get everything they wanted from that deal.

There should be give and take here. But it was us giving everything and the only thing we took from it was a good ass pounding.

What did New Orleans give up that they wouldn't have gladly given away? Just answer that in a single word.

Then plug in the blank with that answer: "New Orleans got cap space and a 2nd round pick for _________?"

That should help you understand this trade.

---------- Post added June-20th-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

There should be give and take here. But it was us giving everything and the only thing we took from it was a good ass pounding.

That's certainly a colorful way to look at it. :ols::ols:

Edited by Destino

What did New Orleans give up that they wouldn't have gladly given away? Just answer that in a single word.

Then plug in the blank with that answer: "New Orleans got cap space and a 2nd round pick for _________?"

That should help you understand this trade.

I'll answer it in 5.

How do you know that?

Yes. You're exactly right.

New Orleans would have given away Okafor and Ariza if they could have.

Now they've pretty much got the flexibility to keep Gordon and Kaman AND they kept their tenth pick. They've gotten everything they wanted and we were their patsy. We even threw in a damn draft pick on top LOL!!!

the only thing we took from it was a good ass pounding.

:ols:

+1

Although I'm reading around the internet, and Ernie is getting slammed by a lot of people.

Ted has done real **** job this offseason. This team was supposed to improve the offense this offseason and we somehow managed to get worse at that end by tying up space in terrible offensive players. :ols:

That's certainly a colorful way to look at it. :ols::ols:

Shoot, didn't realize the profanity filters wouldn't catch that.

Ah well. I'm pissed more at the opportunity cost we paid in this deal than anything. Believe it or not, Shard's contract was a valuable trade chip and we essentially gave it away.

I'm alright though. I process disappointment rapidly. I was getting too optimistic lately I suppose. I needed a good reminder of the futility of hope.

Yes. You're exactly right.

New Orleans would have given away Okafor and Ariza if they could have.

Now they've pretty much got the flexibility to keep Gordon and Kaman AND they kept their tenth pick. They've gotten everything they wanted and we were their patsy. We even threw in a damn draft pick on top LOL!!!

The Wizards took this hit so they get the #1 pick next year because the NBA owns the Hornets.

/Conspiracy Theorist

Also I agree that this means we've got to go Beal if no other deals are made before/on draft day.

I don't like that this deal handcuffed us so much on draft day. Another annoying wrinkle to this...

Can't be TRob because then we'll have too many PFs. I like Okafor well enough, but damned if Ariza's spot doesn't cause problems. You can't take MKG and have him, Ariza, Singleton, and Vesely on the roster. 4 defensive SFs? We couldn't be that foolish could we? Oh wait... Barnes canceled his interviews the day we worked him out.

If we made a promise to Barnes, what did we think we were getting out of that? Not like we're actually restricting information about him, he's been on everyone's radar for years and there is absolutely nothing to hide about him.

What would be worse, MKG at three or Barnes at three?

Why did this deal have to happen before draft day?