Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/11/sources-alonzo-gee-close-to-re.html

Alonzo Gee rejoins Wizards, Lester Hudson waived

The Wizards have completed a somewhat startling reunion, as the team has brought back swingman Alonzo Gee, according to multiple league sources. In order to make the move possible, the Wizards waived reserve point guard Lester Hudson.

Gee spent part of last season with the Wizards, moving from a 10-day contract player to a starter, before making a surprising decision to bolt for San Antonio after his second 10-day contract expired. Gee averaged 7.4 points and 3 rebounds in 11 games and was well-liked by teammates and members of the coaching staff. Coach Flip Saunders was optimistic that Gee would stick around for the rest of the season after he scored a career-high 19 points in a game against Charlotte.

Gee decided to sign with the Spurs, who were familiar with the 6-foot-6 forward because Gee had spent most the year with San Antonio's Developmental League affiliate, the Austin Toros. The Wizards offered Gee an opportunity to stay for the rest of last season, but the Spurs won him over with the promise of some guaranteed money through this season. He was with the Spurs during the playoffs and participated in summer league.

San Antonio waived Gee last week, making him a free agent after he scored a total of two points in five games. The Wizards always remained high on Gee, who provides energy, hustle and intensity. He had 13 points and 10 rebounds in a game against Denver last March. Gee also is just 23 and fits with the team's rebuilding-with-youth efforts.

The Wizards had 15 players under contract, which means they would have to release someone. Hudson was on a non-guaranteed contract and struggled in his rare time on the court this season, going 0-for-9 from the field with two points and six assists in five games.

Gee received a non-guaranteed deal with the Wizards, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The team would have until early January to determine whether or not to keep him for the rest of the season. The source added that Gee's signing is not related to the health of Josh Howard, who has yet to play this season while recovering from left knee surgery. Howard is still on schedule to come back some time in December.

I mean there are the three years we made the playoffs with Gilbert. Went to the 2nd round of the playoffs, were #1 in the East at the all star break. Then **** fell apart but still. It was fun while it lasted. Now we have a new legitimate star in John Wall. I think basketball is a little different than football where one draft pick can change the entire state of a franchise. I guess that can apply in football where you get a Peyton Manning or luck into a Tom Brady but it's a lot rarer. Plus new ownership with Ted. Things are exciting right now. And another big difference is the fanbase. You older Wizard fans can be annoying Debbie Downers but it seems, to me anyway, that us younger fans are still optimistic and excited for the team. On the other hand, the entire Redskin fanbase across the age spectrum has lost it's ****ing mind.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but my mantra with this team is, "I'll believe it when I see it." We're 4-8. Pretty much what we always do.

John Wall's impact on this team goes way beyond his production on the court and his clutch play. Look at how much passion and confidence McGee and Young are playing with. They look like entirely different players.

What an incredible game tonight was. I was saying how I would be okay with the close loss given that it was an entertaining game and most everyone played well, but Wall took it to another level and got us to OT, where the team proceeded to win it.

awesome game by the young guys. loving the young talent on this team. All we really need is a SF because I really think Wall,Young,Blatche and McGee are future pieces to a contending team.

Arenas is part of that corps too. He's humbled himself and really made an effort to become part of the youth movement on the team. He's also got an impossible to move contract with 3 years left on it after this one so he's going to be here a while whether we want him to or not. Give me Harrison Barnes! Him, Wall, McGee, Young, Blatche, Arenas, and Jianlian is a strong seven man group that will be awesome once they finish growing up together. If Kevin Seraphin becomes the player I think he can be, then that's an 8 man rotation you can eventually contend with.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I had to work tonight so I taped the game. I just finished the 3rd quarter now. I don't know who won yet so I'm not gonna reply to any posts, but I just gotta say that I love this team. They love to play the game. They have passion for it. And they have heart. They are what's good about professional sports.

Wall is just so fun to watch and this is the best game of Javale McGee's career. I think us hardcore's have recognized that he is legit and if any casual fans are watching this, I can't see how they can't come to the same conclusion.

Oh and **** Andres Nocioni. He's been killing us for years. (At least Lou Williams has been fairly quiet.)

awesome game by the young guys. loving the young talent on this team. All we really need is a SF because I really think Wall,Young,Blatche and McGee are future pieces to a contending team.

Agree, minus Blatche. He might be a future piece and prove me wrong, but I am done thinking it might happen. Wall and McGee are the real deal. McGee has blossomed into a BIG MAN. Two pieces to build around for the next decade.

Young and Blatche, I will wait and see.

Our young team is beginning to blossom before our eyes. I think McGee is making a legit case to make the All-Star game. Young may have finally found his niche as the spark off the bench, it was great to see him smile and be so happy after that game winning shot. I really like the toughness and physical presence we get from Booker off the bench, he compliments the athletic but at times softness of Blatche and McGee. And Wall...wow what can you say about him? Kid is just clutch when it matters most. I know some people may think it was a bad call late but hey, he got a STAR call, thats what stars get in this league and Wall is becoming one.

Don't look now but we're tied for 8th in the conference. Verizon Center is also starting to provide some nice home court advantage, we're 5-2 at home(albeit we've mostly played pretty bad teams at home so far). A young team like ours probably won't win many road games but it's fun to see a team grow like ours. Reminds me a lot of the Caps a few years back before they hit their stride.

I gotta say though, Andray Blatche makes me sick.

:ols: Yea man. I am done with him. He might become a good player in a few years, but I am done waiting for him to consistently play. Ready to build around McGee and Wall and move on from Blatche.

Blache and Young could make good trade pieces if the numbers work out. They've both shown potential that really could help a team that needs a little fire power of the bench (which if you under rate, take a look at Miami). Blache could potentially be an important piece for the right team.

:ols: Yea man. I am done with him. He might become a good player in a few years, but I am done waiting for him to consistently play. Ready to build around McGee and Wall and move on from Blatche.

I've always been down on Blatche. To start this year though I let off of him a little cause of people were so adamant about him finally waking up with a strong finish last year (when it didn't matter). But dude is a bum. Dude has always been a bum. Dude will always be a bum. It's the intangibles not the skillset. He is a fat, lazy, POS, heartless, gutless loser. You know what really pissed me off tonight? Among many things, the one that really irked me, was that at least twice he let balls bounce out of bounds when he could have made plays for them if he actually, you know, tried. It wasn't perfectly clear to me who the ball had gone off of last. Or him as each time he whipped around to look at the ref to see if we got the possession. To me those two plays (while small and both went our way) perfectly symbolize Blatche's game and issues. He's just so ****ing lazy and heartless. Another was when dude dunked toward the end. Instead going up, fouling him hard, making him earn the points at the line, Blatche just stood there and watched him dunk. Flip called timeout immediately after that. I was hoping he was going to pull his ass but he didn't.

Anyway, thank God I added 30 minutes extra to the end of my recording. It ended like 3 seconds after the final buzzer. I would've been sick to miss the ending. But what a game. Man, the Wiz and Sixers have now played two classics this year. And we own both :) How awesome would it be if Turner develops as well (I'm still not seeing it though) and we have a Wall/Turner, DC/Philly rivalry going for the next 10 years?

I gotta say, I was on cloud nine :cloud9: in Hibachi's Dagger!!! heyday but this tops that. I'm so excited. Wall is just amazing. Amazing. He took over that 4th quarter. That was all him. I'm coming around fast on Nick Young. Javale is LEGIT. No question in my mind anymore about that. I like Booker too. Tough and not afraid to bang with the best of him. He gets more comfortable (and better) each time he plays. It's night and day between now and when he got some minutes last week. I've seen Seraphin once this year and he's the same. Tough and will bang with people. (Hopefully he develops.) Hinrich was a great edition. Only 29. And he's got the type of skillset where he'll still be playing at a pretty high level for a few more years. Yi is still only (allegedly) 23 years old. Thornton busts his ass and is only 27. Every Wiz fan should be absolutely psyched right now. This is really happening.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying that we are complete. Among other trinkets and roleplayers, we still need a big time wing player that can slash and drive and also hit outside shots. It's gonna be nice when Howard gets back but I don't see him being the future. And we also, imo, need a PF that can play down in the post. Not Blatche's behind the back, between the legs, fading jumpshot type of post play, but real post play. And I still need to think about how Gilbert fits in here. If he is the kind of player we want at the 2. I just don't know.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Let me ask you Blatche-sucks holdouts something: You see Wall, McGee, Young, Hinrich, even Gilbert putting their asses on the line, going to the floor, doing whatever it takes to make plays, do you see Blatche doing that as well? Hell he doesn't even want to go strong to the basket. That's got nothing to do with being hurt and out of shape.

Let me ask you Blatche-sucks holdouts something: You see Wall, McGee, Young, Hinrich, even Gilbert putting their asses on the line, going to the floor, doing whatever it takes to make plays, do you see Blatche doing that as well? Hell he doesn't even want to go strong to the basket. That's got nothing to do with being hurt and out of shape.

I have been a Blatche supporter but I must admit that even my patience is running a bit thin.

That being said, I'm not in the "trade him at all costs" camp either.

Because quite frankly when you look at his age, contract and ability, I don't think you'll get anything comparable in return.

Especially factoring in his sweet contract.

I don't know what game you're watching, but Blatche went to the floor at least once today and played well in the 4th. I won't defend his oftentimes horrible shot selection, but he's been making a concerted effort to get to the basket recently, despite being injured. I implore you to take a look at the shot charts if you don't believe me. The correct argument would be disagreeing with his desire to lay the ball in rather than go for the dunk and get contact.

Blatche's main issue this year has been very poor defense, which I attribute mostly to being out of shape and injured. Don't get me wrong, he's not playing anywhere near as well as Wall, Gil, or even Young and Javale the past 5 games or so. I think his poor shooting and porous defense will improve as the season goes on.

I have been a Blatche supporter but I must admit that even my patience is running a bit thin.

That being said, I'm not in the "trade him at all costs" camp either.

Because quite frankly when you look at his age, contract and ability, I don't think you'll get anything comparable in return.

Especially factoring in his sweet contract.

Oh I agree. I'm rarely in the "trade at all costs" camp. But I do think that we should be targeting a PF in the draft or free agency.