Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'll be surprised if a deal is not done by the draft. All sides are motivated to get something done quickly. 

18 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

a think a few sportstalk guys were saying yesterday, which I found to be incorrect yesterday.

Beal not only can dictate where he goes, but the return. Because he won't want to deplete a team he's going to. But, nobody mentions that the team could still decide they need a min in a return of they won't do it either. Then see if they can at the trade deadline. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd take lesser in return to get rid of his deal and consider that part of the return. Expiring contracts back would be fine too. If we have to have a bunch of overpaid bums for a season, that's fine.

I've heard a lot of people talk about this but it doesn't really make much sense. Is Beal going to say to tell Miami what to trade and what not to trade in order to get him to approve a trade? I think that's very unlikely because he's immediately second guessing Pat Riley and their GM. Remember, the Wiz have to trade him now. They don't have to be in a hurry if the return is garbage. 

31 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Is Beal going to say to tell Miami what to trade and what not to trade in order to get him to approve a trade?

He has a lot of control, but not total. Hopefully a few teams bid on him and Washington can get a little more. We'll see. 

I don’t think we get a lottery pick for Beal, probably some future 1sts, maybe a mid-late 1st this year and some salaries that match up like Lowry or Robinson from Heat or Harris from Philly.

But I’m most excited for the draft. OKC typically picked some under the radar 1st rounders (or acquired during the draft), or not super expected at that spot, that have worked out or at least  like Giddey, Jalen and Jaylin Williams, Dort, Poku, obviously getting SGA in a trade. 

We might head an unexpected name like Bufkin, Coulibaly, or Hood-Schifino but I’d also be very happy with Anthony Black.

Ideally we trade Beal before or during the draft and get a mid-late 1st this year and grab one of those 1st three I mentioned and Black. Get some high potential guards in the organization because outside of Beal, it’s a bunch of mid tier guys at best in terms of potential.

Edited by SuperBash

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Trading Beal to only move up five spots in the draft doesn't seem like great value. But I guess it also gets the contract off the books. Not sure why he'd wanna go to Portland though.

The value is getting his contract off the books. Moving up 5 spots would be a big fat bonus on that if the Front Office Big 3 see a guy there they really want.

I'd be fine with taking a collection of future picks that aren't this year. Yeah, it's a risk if Beal goes to a team and they are good. But he also could get hurt again and they stink. 

Beal was worth close to three first-rounders at one point, at least two. Should have traded his bum ass four years ago. 

Been reading about Ausar Thompson, seems like a good fit. He is described as a freak of an athlete. Needs to work on his outside shot though. 

17 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

The value is getting his contract off the books.

This has to be priority here...any opportunity to get anything close to fair return on value has long since gone...

I can live with a bunch of expiring contracts and future 2nds...there will be plenty of opinions on how we lost whatever trade we do, but reality is we lost by not doing this 2-3 years ago and will win by being lucky for someone to bail us out of a supermax contract for a player averaging only 23ppg.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This has to be priority here...any opportunity to get anything close to fair return on value has long since gone...

I can live with a bunch of expiring contracts and future 2nds...there will be plenty of opinions on how we lost whatever trade we do, but reality is we lost by not doing this 2-3 years ago and will win by being lucky for someone to bail us out of a supermax contract for a player averaging only 23ppg.

I'd be ok with that. If there is more than one team in on him, and he'd be ok with one of those bidding. Then maybe you get a little more. But the starting lineup next year should be a bunch of 25 and under guys so they can find out if the youth here can develop or if they need to be replaced ASAP.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Alright, for those who understand the CBA better than I do…it looks like a Paul and Ayton for a Beal and Morris swap passes for salary.  Phoenix has a 2024 and 2026 1st rounder they can give up. They also have Darius Bazely as a RFA. Would he have to do a sign and trade to be part of the deal? Would there be a market to flip Ayton and Paul for more picks?

On 4/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, Metalhead said:

A Miami deal built around Beal for Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, and picks could work. The Wizards are not going to get much more than that in return for Beal's contract.

Edit - plus the trade wouldn't gut Miami's roster, possibly incentivizing Beal to accept it.

Hmm, let's see how close I get ;)

Currently looking like it will be Lowry, Oladipo, another salary, and maybe Nikola Jovic.

Ideally this would just be the first move in a series over the summer. Chris Paul for example. Can't imagine he'd ever suit up here. He'd likely be flipped again to someone else who is trying to get over the top. Even for limited returns there. The point is to acquire cap space and/or draft assets/very young players on rookie deals. 

19 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

If we can swing Unicorn for the 3 and still have whatever we move Beal for...

Bruh

We'd have to include the 8th pick. Front office wants in the top-3 for either Miller or Scoot. They must think both are franchise players. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

We'd have to include the 8th pick. Front office wants in the top-3 for either Miller or Scoot. They must think both are franchise players. 

What are your thoughts on Henderson? Short, explosive guards scare me with their injury potential.