Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I agree, blow it up. These players obviously are not cohesive with one another.

When is the last time we had a legit big man? Chris Webber?

I so desperately want a good basketball team in DC. Every year I pray but the front office puts together a bunch of random second tier players. I'm sick of it.

30 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Because nobody else would sign here. Zaza turned down how much money to sign for like $2M lol....this is so embarrassing. Allowing Ernie to have a year with almost unlimited cap space was so ****ing dumb. 

You could close your eyes and point at a list of DLeague PFs right now and come up with a player that can do more than Smith's done this season.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

You could close your eyes and point at a list of DLeague PFs right now and come up with a player that can do more than Smith's done this season.  

They probably won't sign here either. They'd probably be like "**** it, I'm staying on the vipers". That's how much nobody wants to play here. 

• Like 7

Why did we choose to keep ochefu over Eddie? I stand by my claim that he was the second best move Ernie ever made. The team could really use a guy that just stands on the perimeter and shoots 3's. Instead we are forced to watch YOLO pull up over 2 defenders while Otto is wide open. You can't tell me it's because Marcus can defend and Eddie couldn't...

I really don't understand local radio talking about dealing away John? Does this ever work? Does dealing away a top 5 player and then spending the next 20 years trying to find that some player again make sense? You fire Ernie and hire someone who will get the trade for Boogie done. 

• Like 1

This has been maybe the least interested I have ever been in watching the Wizards. Caught two games so far. 

Ted keeping Ernie and letting him go to town on this FA class was the end of it for me.

But really, Ernie can be gone but Ted is the #1 problem. See my sig as to why:

This was yet another must-win game that they blew.  They needed to make up ground in this easy stretch and they've already dug the hole deeper.  This team has no cohesion or chemistry whatsoever.  They're unfocused and don't really believe in themselves or each other.  John is angry and despondent.  He's failed to set a good tone in the locker room and on defense as the team leader and seems like he's just getting his numbers now.  Beal has come up small whenever he's had the chance to prove himself, and now he's disappeared again.  The young guys in the locker room are just kind of toiling away in trying to prove themselves with their individual play.  And Brooks isn't reaching the team about their defense.

It sucks because there is real talent on the team.  The starting five would be very strong if they played together.  And there are three or four worthwhile guys on the bench in Mahinmi, Nicholson, Sato, and Oubre.  Maybe McClellan.  But Mahinmi is hurt, Nicholson has been doghoused (seriously where the **** has he been?), and Oubre is too raw to handle an important role.  Instead we've got our three worst players (Burke, Thornton and Smith) handling the load and the bench is horrible as a result.  They've choked away these big first quarter leads every time they check in.

Well... since Nicholson is MIA, looks like we lost our only rotation worthy big on the bench when we lost Mahinmi.  And our depth on the wing is a major liability.  Coming into the season with Oubre as our only back up SF has turned out to be a mistake.  Otto is playing like 40 minutes a night.  And McClellan as our only decent back up for Beal was a big mistake too.  What I wouldn't give to take the money we spent on Smith and Nicholson and spend it on a nice three and D wing that can handle a large amount of minutes and spot start.

If they don't get to around .500 within the next ten to 15 games then the season is lost.  You have to fire Ernie and hit reset.

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

I really don't understand local radio talking about dealing away John? Does this ever work? Does dealing away a top 5 player and then spending the next 20 years trying to find that some player again make sense? You fire Ernie and hire someone who will get the trade for Boogie done. 

Top 5 ? At his position or in the league. The way you present it is top 5 in the league. 

Wall is not top 5 in the league. Flame away. 

Step 1 is fire Ernie.  Let the new GM decide which players to trade and which to keep.  Personally I think the only players worth keeping are Wall, Morris, and Otto if the price is right.  Everyone else is either a bad contract or a player that makes very little difference.  That's not to say a guy like Sato doesn't have a place on a winning team, just that he's not essential to building one.  But so long as Ernie is running the show, nothing is going to get better.  

Think the Bucks would give up Monroe and Middleton?  Without us giving up Wall or Morris?  Monroe isn't starting and Middleton is out for a long time following surgery.  They might feel enough pressure to win now to talk themselves into Beal an a wonderful defensive center Mahinmi.  

Ernie needed to be fired yesterday.  Let Tommy Sheppard take the reigns and have him oversee the rebuild.  It's apparent that the FAs that Ernie put together, and the roster as a whole, just isn't cutting it.  Again, we're wasting Wall's prime years and who could blame him if he bolted at the end of his contract.  I don't want Ernie in charge of making any more roster moves just to save his job. 

4 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

Ehh John Wall is actually a pretty damn special talent at PG. And I think most of the stats back this up. 

I mean, I'm no expert on the sport but it seems like if you're a special talent in that sport, then you can carry your team to a respectable record. The Wizards are what? 70 games below 500 in his career? He's pretty good. I wouldn't say he's special.

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I mean, I'm no expert on the sport but it seems like if you're a special talent in that sport, then you can carry your team to a respectable record. The Wizards are what? 70 games below 500 in his career? He's pretty good. I wouldn't say he's special.

He's a PG who looks to distribute first. He can score quickly but he's not a me-first guy. I think at this point he's just jaded. 

29 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Since John got back from injury in 2013, he's carried the Wizards to a .500 record and a couple of playoff series wins on his own.  Don't know what the **** happened this year.  Something is seriously wrong with both him and the team.

Rare is the superstar that can make a bad team win.  There's a reason Lebron stands out.  Look at Anthony Davis in New Orleans as an example.  Anyone want to argue he's not special?  He's been on some awful teams.  If Wall had been drafted by the Spurs his winning percentage would be incredible.  Just like if K Leonard had been drafted by the 76ers his would be awful. 

• Like 1

I just added up the WS totals from our ten primary rotation players from last season and it was 42.  That's what should be expected of this team if you assume no improvement whatsoever.  .500 ball.  That's with Mahinmi and Beal, but even accounting for their games missed, this team is massively underperforming expectations and it suggests that something aside player personnel is the problem.  There is a chemistry and leadership problem.