Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm at the point where I know this team will never be good enough to win a championship in my lifetime.  After years of watching them under Abe Pollin and him be so loyal to his cronies, I really thought Ted would be a breath of fresh air.  But it looks like he's doing exactly what Abe did.  Just sell/relocate the team to Las Vegas.  They are just an annual embarrassment to the league year in and year out.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This team is really depressing to watch.  I'd love to believe this is new coach/new system growing pains but it doesn't appear that way.  It appears to be a severely undermanned team that might win 28 games.

Someone please tell me I am wrong, and why.

You are so wrong.  Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

There's no way this team can win more than 27 games.  :ols:

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This team is really depressing to watch.  I'd love to believe this is new coach/new system growing pains but it doesn't appear that way.  It appears to be a severely undermanned team that might win 28 games.

Someone please tell me I am wrong, and why.

Because we haven't seen this team with Mahimi yet to help the defense or if we'll pull off a trade for someone that can help with 3-point shooting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Mahinmi isnt good enough to be all that much help.

He's a highly regarded defensive center, the stats and professional opinion is out there to support that.  Instead of our guys taking so many risks on defense, they can stick more to their responsibilities because he should be able to anchor the interior defense much better then Gortat.  That will help a lot, so put the blade down already and see what that looks like at least.

Mahinmi has averaged more than 20 minutes per game once in his nine year career (last season).  He's a 30 year old career backup that picked a great year to finally earn a starting role for a great defensive team.  

I have my doubts about him saving this team and I hate his contract.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's a highly regarded defensive center, the stats and professional opinion is out there to support that.  Instead of our guys taking so many risks on defense, they can stick more to their responsibilities because he should be able to anchor the interior defense much better then Gortat.  That will help a lot, so put the blade down already and see what that looks like at least.

I'm not saying he stinks, but a 20 min a game player isnt gonna cure what ails this team.  Guys taking risks isnt their problem.  

It all starts at the top= Leonsis holding on to Ernie.  The team is poorly constructed and what does the team expect out of the fans when you are the only team in the NBA that hasn't won 50 games in a season since 1979?  The mere fact that I still call them "my team" should elicit a standing ovation from Ted and Ernie to fans like you and me.  I could have ditched this dumpster fire years ago.  But to a fault, I've always been loyal to my teams.  So instead of rooting for another team, I just don't show as much interest and it's apparent other fans feel the same way.

Time to go on a "Grunion" run and run his ass out of town.

Just now, pjfootballer said:

The team is poorly constructed and what does the team expect out of the fans when you are the only team in the NBA that hasn't won 50 games in a season since 1979?  

I was glad that detail finally sunk in for me in recent years.  I refuse to give this team benefit of the doubt going into any season. They've never earned it.  Even when they're "good", they'll cap out at 46 or so.

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm not saying he stinks, but a 20 min a game player isnt gonna cure what ails this team.  Guys taking risks isnt their problem.  

Didn't say it would, said it would help, and guys taking risks is a problem that is occurring, Steve has been over this, and I've noticed it, they're trying to hard to make up for defensive presence not being Gortat's strength.  There are going to be times, especially in late game situations where it will make more sense having the defensive center out there, and I want to see what that looks like before I'm ready to call the season over in November.

52 minutes ago, Destino said:

Mahinmi has averaged more than 20 minutes per game once in his nine year career (last season).  He's a 30 year old career backup that picked a great year to finally earn a starting role for a great defensive team.  

I have my doubts about him saving this team and I hate his contract.  Hope I'm wrong.

He was a starting caliber player tucked away behind Hibbert and West for a while.  When they finally moved on from those two, he got his chance and proved himself a quality starting C.  If we didn't have Gortat, Mahinmi would be starting and playing 30 MPG for us.

That's why, to be frank, I'm surprised he signed in a place where he knew the starting job wasn't open.  That tells me he came here for the money.  And I think they promised him a time share at the position.  If he was healthy right now, I bet we'd be seeing a 24/24 minute split at C.

The Pacers are an excellent defensive team, and Mahinmi was one of the key reasons why they were.  His DRtg's are awesome, demonstrating he's one of the best defensive players in the league.  Good rim protector and great pick and roll defender.  And he was thriving in line ups with Monta Ellis, George Hill, and Lavoy Allen.  Those guys are sieves.  Mahinmi and Paul George basically carried that defense to that 3rd best in the NBA team DRtg.  There is no doubt Mahinmi is a defensive upgrade over Gortat at this point and that he'd help our defense.  It's just a matter of to what degree.

No defense is going to succeed when John, Brad, and Otto playing as poorly as they have on that side of the court.  You can not have so many points of failure on your perimeter and still defend well.  Burke and Thornton have also been hellishly bad.  Brooks is going to have to find a way to fix the perimeter D before he can start winning games.  John, Brad, and Otto should not be playing this poorly.  Those guys can be plus defenders, they're just lost and/or playing lazy.

Playing Nicholson and Smith at C to spell Gortat ain't getting it done either.

Sato/Oubre/McClellan/Ochefu is a second line with far more defensive potential than the one involving Thornton and Burke and Smith.  But the issue there is the terrible shooting and lack of offensive skill.  Sato and Nicholson would be the only ones you feel confident about with the ball in their hands.

So we need to bring in a three and D wing.  Sato/X/Oubre/Nicholson/Mahinmi is a capable second line.

• Like 1