Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I’m glad the Knicks suck and “Knicks” on the schedule means an easy win.  I don’t care if it’s bad for the league or if New York is a great basketball city.  Seeing the Knicks so low makes me smile.  And Spike Lee can suck it too.   :lol: 

• Like 2

Maybe because of the last postseason, but I don't look at Chicago and think...man, this is a real test that will define the team.  Even if we lost both games, the fact remains that we did beat them in a playoff series (injuries or no) so even a negative outcome won't get me too worried, the Wiz have taken them out when it counts.  I'm with Duckus, I'd like to see them finally take San Antonio out.

Also, can someone explain to me what business the Atlanta Hawks have being in 1st place?  Come on, their job is to do just well enough to be the #7 or #8 seed and be cannon fodder in the 1st round of the playoffs.  I thought that was written in stone.

I was pissed that Atlanta won again last night.  I thought for sure Memphis would take them down.  This just sucks.  Really effin sucks.  We had to put up with Miami taking the division all those years and I thought for sure when LeBron went back to Cleveland, we'd make our move and take over the division. Then the damn Hawks come out of nowhere.  Really?  Can't give us one friggin division title, one friggin year?  I know the season isn't even half over, but damn, Atlanta is knocking off some big boys.  Why the hell can't Atlanta go back down to the 41-41 team they are supposed to be?  DAMMIT!!

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/1/8/7514297/john-wall-all-star-voting-results-returns-washington-wizards-marcin-gortat

The NBA released the latest voting results Thursday morning and not only is Wall still have the most votes among all Eastern guards, but he's actually increased his lead from last week's returns. Here are the official numbers:

1. John Wall (Was) 564,977
2. Dwyane Wade (Mia) 507,326
3. Kyle Lowry (Tor) 406,974
4. Kyrie Irving (Cle) 372,065
5. Jimmy Butler (Chi) 263,914

Looking good 2 weeks out from the final vote.

• Like 1

I was pissed that Atlanta won again last night.  I thought for sure Memphis would take them down.  This just sucks.  Really effin sucks.  We had to put up with Miami taking the division all those years and I thought for sure when LeBron went back to Cleveland, we'd make our move and take over the division. Then the damn Hawks come out of nowhere.  Really?  Can't give us one friggin division title, one friggin year?  I know the season isn't even half over, but damn, Atlanta is knocking off some big boys.  Why the hell can't Atlanta go back down to the 41-41 team they are supposed to be?  DAMMIT!!

Yeah the Hawks are for real. Also note that since the Pistons shipped Josh Smith out, they've won 7 straight. 2 of them against Houston and Dallas. 

The real question is: will Wall be in the dunk contest again? He put on a show last year, I'd love to see what he's got for an encore.

It'd be cool, but I understand if he didn't feel like doing it again. There are also enough good young dunkers in the NBA that they can do a new field and maintain the excitement in the event.

I want to see Beal do the 3 PT contest again though. Friggin Marco Bellinelli.

Yeah the Hawks are for real. Also note that since the Pistons shipped Josh Smith out, they've won 7 straight. 2 of them against Houston and Dallas.

And San Antonio.

after Al Horford gets injured again.

One of those yearly locks that never fails. No bs, I'd be willing to put money on it. Him and Nene. Which got me thinking, is ATL in a better a spot to cover Horford missing time or are the Wiz better equipped for Nene's seasonal vacation?

One of those yearly locks that never fails. No bs, I'd be willing to put money on it. Him and Nene. Which got me thinking, is ATL in a better a spot to cover Horford missing time or are the Wiz better equipped for Nene's seasonal vacation?

We're deeper in front court quality, but they're probably less reliant on Horford than we are on Nene. He hasn't been playing all that well this year but ATL is playing better than ever.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/twitter-mailbag-pierce-bench-wizards-trade-market

Rice's reputation -- deserved or not -- has some teams skeptical of touching him, especially playoff teams or teams on the cusp with good chemistry. They're unlikely to risk that for a minimum salary player. From what I'm told, he's a great teammate and isn't a locker room problem at all, but he has trouble accepting coaching and constructive criticism. He'll get a 10-day contract somewhere, with a team such as the Philadelphia 76ers who are trying to rebuild and take a look at guys at minimal cost. The New York Knicks were interested in Rice in the 2013 draft but that was before Phil Jackson took over. Given he just traded J.R. Smith and has spoken about riding his team of players with attitudes, they seem unlikely to take a chance. But he will get a chance. Rice needs time to grow and will be fine, but whatever sort of deal he gets it'll likely be a temporary, non-guaranteed deal at a minimum salary.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

There is talk of us adding Jameer Nelson to GRJr's roster spot if/when he has his contract bought out.

Doesn't help us at the 2 but he'd be better insurance against a Wall injury than Miller.  I'd still want Miller as the primary backup but Nelson would be the better starter between the two.  Miller wouldn't be able to handle Wall's minutes. 

Edited by Destino

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/morning-tip-wizards-keep-allen-nelson-birch-focus

Morning tip: Wizards keep Allen, Nelson, Birch in focus

1. Ray Allen is not out of the picture. He still hasn't given an answer about his intention to play again, but two people on separate sides of the matter have said the Wizards have made "routine" contact -- using this exact word -- since first expressing their interest in July. Until Allen says, "I'm retired" or "No thanks," the Wizards will continue to chase him. The reason: Even though they have shooters in Martell Webster and Rasual Butler coming off the bench, they're natural small forwards. Allen is a natural to backup shooting guard Bradley Beal. Currently, Otto Porter logs a lot of time there when he shares the floor with Butler, who relieves Paul Pierce. It still sounds like a long-shot but if this were to happen, Porter or Webster would lose the playing time. 

2. Players now can be brought in on 10-day contracts. This essentially is a tryout, a short-term commitment, at minimal cost and could result in uncovering a gem. 

3. Khem Birch or Damion James could return. Could be a 10-day deal or for the rest of the season. Yes, the Wizards have been closely monitoring them while they play in the D-League. Birch, who played for the Wizards at Las Vegas summer league and was a standout, declined a training camp invite and opted to join the Miami Heat's camp. Birch is offensively limited, but he's a 6-9 center with a 7-1 wingspan, a nimble kind of rim protector who can run the floor and finish on the break which would make him unique on a roster already loaded with bigs. Birch was one of the final cuts by the Heat and has been playing for the Heat's D-League team, the Sioux Falls Skyforce. He doesn't have a contract with the Heat so he can sign with any NBA team that makes him an offer. James, a 6-7 guard/forward, is in the same situation with the Texas Legends, a Dallas Mavericks affiliate.

4. Brandan Wright is available. Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge has informed the 6-10 center that he's on the block and should expect to be on another team. That's why Wright had a head-scratching DNP this week on a team that could use his skill set. The Wizards would have to execute a trade to bring him on board and he has an expiring contract that pays $5 million. Given Boston's point-guard situation -- traded Rajon Rondo and now Marcus Smart is learning the job and Evan Turner isn't a natural at distributing -- they believe that Wright doesn't fit despite 72.4% field-goal shooting. Wright running the floor with John Wall or in the half-court with Andre Miller? Still not likely, but it would make for a fantastic highlight reel. A big who can step out to slow down the pick-and-roll like Wright's old teammate, Tyson Chandler of the Mavericks, and recover to shade the rim is invaluable. The Wizards would have to match salary but players of this caliber aren't expected to be available because the demand far outweighs the supply. 

Click on the link to read.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12140203/john-wall-washington-wizards-finding-just-right-balance?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D35%26t%3D1226950%26start%3D1880%22%7D

Wall finding just the right balance Wizards star's success rooted in overcoming big obstacles not once but twice

The difference in John Wall this season isn't visible when he's playing.

Oh, you can see improvements, such as the league-leading 10.3 assists per game, the career-high 46 percent shooting and a career-best two steals per game.

And then there's his team. The Washington Wizards are on pace for 56 wins, which would be the third-best record in franchise history and the first 50-win season since 1978-79, when the then-Bullets lost to the Seattle SuperSonics in the Finals.

As far as a physical difference, that's out of view. It's a tattoo he got on his chest last summer, a reproduction of a picture of Wall and his father taken when Wall was 2 or 3 years old.

The photo is one of the few tangible connections Wall has with his father, whom he saw mostly on weekend prison visits when he was a kid and who died of cancer just before Wall turned 9. The bond is evident. So is the genetic link, which seems stronger than ever these days as the maturing son has grown facial hair that mimics the look of the father in the picture. Before Wall steps on the court, he'll kiss his wrists, tap his jersey on the spot covering the tattoo, then point to the sky. He feels connected, even as he walks alone.