Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So Pop is cool with the People's Elbow to Gortat but is crying about that foul on Manu? And if Randy were screaming obscenities at an official like that, you think a T wouldn't be handed out?

With Joey C you can't really be sure what's going to happen. Maybe he'd let Wittman get away with it, and maybe he'd start yelling and throw three people out of the game, he's unstable.

This one sucks more than the OKC game. At least in that game it was just Durant making insane shots. We just got outplayed late. Disappointing, would have been a huge statement to snap the San Antonio losing streak.

Gotta win in New Orleans and salvage a 2-3 road trip.

When Beal gets to the point where he can take and make that pull up three with a guy guarding him (and other shots like it) with regularity, this team will take the next step.

When he becomes a true AS caliber performer night in and night out, we will be an elite team and true contender.

Wall anchors us to a solid playoff team. Beal is the key to us having a championship caliber ceiling.

Beal is going to get there. Just a matter of time.

I want to beat this team in DC soooooo bad.

Spurs ball? LOL. Whatever, game is over.

Paul Pierce is not a humble man that would just play a way he thought was wrong.

As someone that has met up with him several times...you would be wrong.

He is just a guy. Regular guy that goes to work and does what he does.

You would likely be shocked at how some guys act compared to others.

We need more scoring out of Wall. 8 assists is nice but he can't be hovering around the 13-15 PPG mark. To beat a team like the Spurs he needs to be a 20/10 guy or damn near close to it. He can't be getting outscored by BOTH of their PGs.

He needs to get that pull up jump shot going.  There is no way around it, the better teams and playoffs teams are not going to let him get to the rim at will.  If he wants to be a super star he needs to be able to score when he needs to and right now he's still too hot and cold.  You never know what scoring performance you are going to get. 

Beal... if he can't figure out how to beat a single man on the dribble without a screen, he can be the best shooter in the universe and he's still a role player.  Today he struggled several times to get around 80 year old Ginobli without a screen.  His first step is incredibly slow, it might be because of the way he holds his posture or leans oddly.  I don't know what it is but the guy just can't get by anyone without help.

This one got away from us because we let the Spurs hang around until the fourth quarter and then they just out-executed us the rest of the way. We were killing their defense earlier but they stayed in it by getting to every loose ball and turning it into points. Then they just started making the plays when it mattered and we stopped doing it.

They're better and they got us on the second night of a road back to back. They're better coached and it showed in their execution.

But we're closing the gap on the likes of them. That was another game we really could have won.

Beal... if he can't figure out how to beat a single man on the dribble without a screen, he can be the best shooter in the universe and he's still a role player.  Today he struggled several times to get around 80 year old Ginobli without a screen.  His first step is incredibly slow, it might be because of the way he holds his posture or leans oddly.  I don't know what it is but the guy just can't get by anyone without help.

It's his handles. His handles are too poor to get his defender to lean in one direction far enough for him to drive past them. Yeah you're right, his first step sucks. Yet Andre Miller can penetrate better than him, and he moves like a senior citizen. Beal needs to become a better ball-handler, until he does, this offense will continue to look terrible whenever he's trying to run it in the fourth quarter. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

As someone that has met up with him several times...you would be wrong.

He is just a guy. Regular guy that goes to work and does what he does.

You would likely be shocked at how some guys act compared to others.

He's a leader.  How can he be considered a leader if he willingly goes along with bad basketball and keeps his mouth shut?  He's already piped up on the wizards and talked to them about being too soft.  Quiet guys that just keep their head down and work don't do that.  I'm not saying that he's an arrogant prick, I'm just saying that he's a proud man that isn't going to just go along with things he considers wrong.  Maybe my wording was poor, glad to hear he's cool in real life, he certainly seems to be.  

I doubt many basketball players have tiny egos, the game require irrational confidence. 

Overall, this stinks. Yeah, its just 3 games against some Western Teams. But it felt like 2 of the games they could have won. They just didn't have that Larry Michael often mentioned "intangibles". Need to get a win here and then on a roll again. I want to see them angry, but not sloppy.

I'm less disappointed about the Spurs game than the Thunder game. That Thunder game was ours, we blew that one. They won despite playing pretty poorly simply because Durant carried them. The Spurs beat us because we couldn't match their level of execution during the final 18 minutes of the game or so. That happens. Second night of a road back to back against a team like San Antonio.

What hurts for me is that the streak of losing against them lives on. I really hope we get them when they come to DC.

• Like 1

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wizards-likely-cut-rice-retain-butler-wait-march-1

Wizards likely to cut Rice, retain Butler, wait for March 1

The Wizards have been trying to move second-year guard Glen Rice Jr. in a trade before Jan. 10 when all contracts become fully guaranteed, CSNwashington.com has confirmed with persons with knowledge of the situation. A 48-hour window when a deal might have been struck has passed, however, which makes a trade unlikely and means he'd be released instead.  

Rice's release goes to show that being the MVP of the Las Vegas summer league (he was in 2014) or averaging gaudy statistics in the D-League (which he did before being drafted) mean little. Among his shortcomings: He never developed into the shooter that was he was projected to become; failed to excel at catch-and-shoot and three-point accuracy; relied on getting into the paint and drawing contact too much but found that wasn't as easy in the NBA because of the size and athleticism of the opposition; and a tendency to dribble too much which stopped the ball from moving.

The final nail in Rice's stay here, however, was determined to be attitude, people with knowledge of the situation said. Coming into the league, the Wizards knew that was a red flag but thought he could work through it. He turned off several teams during the pre-draft process and that manifested itself in a blowup with coach Randy Wittman in a 19-point loss to the Toronto Raptors on  Nov. 7. Rice was pulled from the game and went at Wittman in front of the bench. Rice never played again and was gone two weeks later. Martell Webster returned from back surgery on Dec. 30 to make his season debut.

So instead of hustling to make a trade by the Feb. 20 deadline to create a roster spot, much like the Wizards did last season when they acquired Andre Miller, sent out Eric Maynor and Jan Vesely in a three-team deal and signed Drew Gooden as a free agent, they have more flexibility.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH