Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's With The Fascination With Tupac?

blue collar

Why is he so popular and why do everybody, including educated people, put this man on a pedistal? And I don't really by into the whole "thug angel" hype. I mean just before he was shot and killed, he was caught on tape, along with others, beating up a man. What makes him any better than any other rapper or any other thug? Why he gets mad love and others don't?

I want the rap community on ES to explain that to me.

He was the greatest rapper that ever lived. Most people can relate to most stuff he rapped about. It was just dumb desisions that caused for such a short life. But he was a genious. He is up there with the Beatles and Elvis. Even a decade after his death people still thought he was alive. I was one of those people for the first like 5 years thinking he was still alive.

He was the greatest rapper that ever lived. Most people can relate to most stuff he rapped about. It was just dumb desisions that caused for such a short life. But he was a genious. He is up there with the Beatles and Elvis. Even a decade after his death people still thought he was alive. I was one of those people for the first like 5 years thinking he was still alive.

That doesn't make him an immortalized music legend like the Beatles or Elvis.....it makes you an idiot.

Is it crippy today, Maui Wowie?

Because he died young. Same with that loser Kurt Cobain and you guys can flame me if you want but also Sean Taylor.

All three had a certain amount of fame doing what they did and they all died at a young age and then all of a sudden they became the greatest that ever lived. At least according to their fanbase.

I think there's truth to that. People are projecting and saying what if... you get the same effect with Buddy Holly and even to an extent John Kennedy. They're imagining the potential left unfulfilled and filling in the blanks.

I just think it was the way he rapped and his lyrics. Yeah he was not the best human being, but he put such raw emotion into his music that it comes out of the speakers and you can feel it.

I always **** with Pac when im pissed off or just feeling crappy in general. C'mon "Keep your head up" is a song that anyone can feel.

Great question. I was watching the Tupac & Tyson 30 for 30 and Maya Angelou was gushing all about him...I was like WTF?

The 30 for 30 episode is partially why I made this thread. People drool over him as if he's the second coming. I just don't understand it. And it's not about his music.

• He was a very talented rapper/actor/artist/performer
  • His lyrics had meaning and often a positive message
  • He had great beats and production
  • He was a good person and a nice guy despite his image
  • He wasn't full of ****, he lived the life he rapped about
  • He died along the lines of the life he rapped about
  • There's lots of mystique surrounding him and his story

Most of what you're saying is true...but these two don't go together. If he truly lived the life he rapped about, he would be incredibly violent, which would not make him a nice guy nor a good person. Secondly, we could bring up things like the shooting of an off-duty police officer, the beating of a gang member in Vegas, or the jail time spent for sexual abuse (potential gangbang) of a woman.

Talented yes...good guy and nice person...a stretch. I'm just not willing to let people make stuff up like "He was born in Rikers."

[*]He was a good person and a nice guy despite his image

[*]He wasn't full of ****, he lived the life he rapped about

[*]He died along the lines of the life he rapped about

As the other poster pointed out, you can't have it both ways and that's the main problem I have with people who immortalizes him. On one hand he was a nice guy. On the other, he lived the lifestyle he rapped about. Are we talking about the same nice guy that hung around Suge Knight and was seen, along with Suge Knight beating up a guy just minutes before he was gunned down?

Tupac is idolized because when he really put his heart into a track his lyrics were meaningful and very well articulated. Also, he provided critical insight into a world that many people will never experience, like me.

His lyrics were far better than most rappers, only a select group can touch him on this.

• He was a very talented rapper/actor/artist/performer
  • His lyrics had meaning and often a positive message
  • He had great beats and production
  • He died along the lines of the life he rapped about
  • There's lots of mystique surrounding him and his story

Tupac nut-hugger!! :)

Archived