Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do people think about rotating offensive linemen - re; Dockery and Lichtensteiger

bedlamVR

When I saw Heyer in the huddle a few times in the first Q and thought damn here we go again . I didn't notice Lichtensteiger coming in for DD but this article throws some light on the subject .

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/offensive-line/offensive-line-strategy-create.html#more

Now I am not sure I have seen OL rotating players in before . Maybe it happens all the time but normally i thought it was through injury . This seems something new .

I am normally one for continuity on the line but if it keeps OL players fresh is it a bad idea . After all DL are always rotating in and out the game why should not OL players do the same if there is limited drop off ?

Whatever the coaches think is best for the current average group we have up front I guess is the short answer.

The starting front five, although improved on last year, doesn't fill with one with the utmost confidence; and the depth behind is scary if they have to play on a regular basis. But if rotating them saves injury and fatigue, and is what the coaches think is the best way forward for this year, then what do we have to lose?

One player I would rotate, in fact scrap that, replace TOTALLY; is the one O-lineman many of us couldn't understand being retained for yet another year. The pitifully undersized, penalty prone center, Rabach. Yet again he was abused BADLY Sunday, and even though Ratcliffe does that to most players, this happens week in, week out with Rabach. Kinda' defeats the object upgrading the tackles when the line often implodes from the inside out starting with him. I'd much prefer us to take a flyer on Montgomery, even given his lack of experience; or even Liechtensteiger (Sp?) who's not much bigger than persist with a man who's very rarely gotten it done through his time in DC.

Looking ahead, hopefully a replacement will be HIGH on our radar for 2011.

Hail.

Rabach is definitely a weak link as far as blocking goes. His strength is his protection recognitions. But that doesn't matter when you're not blocking people. Perhaps he can turn it around, and I hope so, but Hartwig is available and should probably be looked at, despite his age. Although, I'm sure the Redskins have explored options and determined that the ones that are out there aren't better solutions.

I think I mostly like the idea of rotating offensive linemen, esp. when you don't have the Hogs. I worry a little bit about coordination and rhythm which is so key to the line, but if you have a C+ line as it wears down it will fall into C or even D range. We saw that last year. Keeping folks fresher will help keep the level of play higher because players won't have to conserve as much energy.

We're still pretty close the pre-season, where players were rotated in and out, and O-linemen didn't play a full game. I think there is still a condiitoning reason for doing this.

Also, should a player have to keep playing while fatigued -- that's when the chances for injuries strike. So, in a way, this was a good precaution available against injury with the added benefit of giving gametime experience/training to the backups.

While I worry about continuity, I think it's a good idea --mainly early on in the season -- to rotate players in and out a bit ...assuming the talent drop-off isn't too great. In a way, it also give the O-line players an 'in-game' chance to see their position's ZBS technique in action, just before they have to trot back onto the field to use it themselves.

Does anyone know if this is Shany or Kyle's doing? I like it because if a player goes down, there is not that much of a break in continuity. Also with Zone blocking, you can get away with this more. The protection certainly seemed to be up to snuff, especially since we were playing the cry-boys.

....now the running game....that may take more time.

All good points with regards to this thread.

I have to trust the coach and will agree with his decisions.

Fresh players are better than tired players. Colts had tired players and got smoked leaving them in. Although the drop off in talent may be significant, a fresh player giving 100% effort in pass protection or sprinting on a stretch play and throwing a block is smart in many instances.

Let's see how this plays out. The biggest gain is that you continue to develop depth experience in the current system vs. the latter. This should pay huge dividends in the event of a first string injury; A long drive coupled by a defensive turnover after that drive; Mostly will pay huge dividends in the latter part of the year as the OL unit as a whole will be able to become one.

I'm not sure about whether coach has taken this path in the past, but it would appear to be quite frugal for the long run and short run when considering the injuries that would be devastating should a first string OL'men go down.

God bless the Redskins (including all the 12th men)!!!\

HTTR!!!!

Nothing.

JB was playing hard and getting the job done. Coach didn't want to play him enough to get injured as he is still getting into football shape post injury and out of football for a year.

JB will be just fine and probably reach his form in short order. The rotation they are employing is being frugal with the early part of the season in hope of developing depth and cohesiveness throughout the OL and ultimately avoiding injuries that would be devastating.

I can't help but wonder how Brown feels about being relieved in big spots. Hopefully, he is on board with it, and won't take this type of treatment personally.

I can't necessarily justify my concerns, but for some reason, he seems like a thin skinned guy. You would think we would have heard from him if it were a big problem, however, total silence could also be an indication that it's something he's not happy with.

If I am not mistaken, the 'Skins are hoping to re-sign this guy in the offseason, and if he has any negative feelings about Shanahan, then it could get tough to keep the guy...:2cents:

I can't help but wonder how Brown feels about being relieved in big spots. Hopefully, he is on board with it, and won't take this type of treatment personally.

I can't necessarily justify my concerns, but for some reason, he seems like a thin skinned guy. You would think we would have heard from him if it were a big problem, however, total silence could also be an indication that it's something he's not happy with.

If I am not mistaken, the 'Skins are hoping to re-sign this guy in the offseason, and if he has any negative feelings about Shanahan, then it could get tough to keep the guy...:2cents:

Keeping him healthy and building him up as the season goes on will probably show Brown what to expect from Shanny and how much respect he has for him. It might be frustrating early, but I would imagine that the contract is one of his biggest priorities and staying healthy is a requirement.

A side note, there is a conidtional 2012 6th rounder if he plays 90% of the plays this year. I'm sure they aren't doing it to dodge that stipulation, but it would be nice to hold onto that pick.

what happen to Jamal Brown I was at the game last night but I kept seeing #74 Heyer on the right sude

mongo.gif

What happen? Mongo tell you. Jamal Brown have surgery on hip last year. Coaches want make sure Jamal Brown not get hurt, is in shape since he not play much in preseason. Coaches rotate offensive line to compensate.

:silly:

Archived