NBCDFW.com: Dez Bryant Is Ready To "Unleash"

tr1

Are you ready for some football?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready for some football?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dude! It's baseball season... who cares about football on a Redskin board

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Dez-Bryant-Is-Ready-To-Unleash-102546499.html

Rookie receiver Dez Bryant has made no secret of the fact that he is chomping at the bit to return to the field. After missing all but three games in his final season at Oklahoma State and each of the Cowboys’ five preseason games, in fact, coaches have taken it upon themselves to keep the enthusiasm in check.

“The main thing is I have to keep him calm. He's excited and biting at the bit to have a chance to play,” said receivers coach Ray Sherman, on Monday. “It's different. It's not preseason. This is for real. This is live bullets coming at you.”

To understand Bryant’s character is to understand the need for such precaution on the part of the coaches: Bryant loves football. And, on Sunday, he will have the opportunity play for the first time in almost a year--and, not for nothing, the first time since being drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

Which is to say that for Bryant, who says he has fully recovered from the high ankle sprain that so severely limited him in camp, Sunday night can’t come soon enough.

"It's been a long time, man,'' Bryant said, per David Moore of the Dallas Morning News. "I just feel like, I'm just ready to unleash."

Dez is about to learn the hard lesson of a rookie WR: natural abilities don't get you as far in the NFL as they do in college. You don't get to play McNeese St. or Miami of Ohio to get up to speed and shake off the rust. You have to be good. You have to run good routes and study your opponents. Oh, and don't hurt your ankle on that first cut in the game, that would just be a shame.

Dez is about to learn the hard lesson of a rookie WR: natural abilities don't get you as far in the NFL as they do in college. You don't get to play McNeese St. or Miami of Ohio to get up to speed and shake off the rust. You have to be good. You have to run good routes and study your opponents. Oh, and don't hurt your ankle on that first cut in the game, that would just be a shame.

I can't wait for him to be destroyed coming across the middle by Fletch, Rocky, or Rak. That, then while trying to go deep he all of a sudden can't outrun everyone and DHall picks it in front of him and Landry blows him up on a block to free Hall to run it back.

Calvin Johnson had like 1 catch for 3 yards against us in his first season. That was the same year Kitna threw for 4000+ yards. Calvin was highly regarded coming out and he didn't sit out the better portion of his last year in college. I'm not too worried about Dez.

But there's also Randy Moss' rookie season. BEAST

Moss didn't miss a complete year of collegiate football and wasn't coming off an injury during camp in his first year as well.

Bryant may end up being the most talented WR that the Cowboys have had since Owens, but expecting him to "unleash" is a setup for disappointment.

When Randy Moss came out of Marshall, he was unlike anything anyone had seen at WR. He broke the mold and everyone remade it with his measurables. No one knew how to prepare for him, and he made them pay. Bryant isn't breaking any molds with his body type, he's just the next "best receiver" in college to come to the pros.

With the way he's been behaving and talking though, he's certainly providing enough motivational material for the Skins to shut him up.

You guys should really quiet down with the "Landry is going to kill him" nonsense. It was the same crap spewed with DeSean Jackson... who was too small to play in the NFL. And he survived and had an excellent rookie season and broke out last year.

Bryant can break out for all I care.. as long as the Skins get the "W".

I have to agree with DH on this one. The one player I would agree would lay out Dez is no longer here. LL is hit or miss and doesn't scare WR's, IMHO, anymore than any other DB in the league.

Dez is a rookie and will struggle like all rookie WR's. He could be a great talent or a bust, just have to wait and see.

If the skins can get to Romo sits to pee early and often it won't matter how good or bad Dez is.

Man you puke fans always compare bryant to Moss, how many receivers have come out and played like Moss? Oh wait, it was just Moss?

Ok, how many players came out and looked like Taylor Jacobs? Whats that you say, alot? Thanks for playing!

Man you puke fans always compare bryant to Moss, how many receivers have come out and played like Moss? Oh wait, it was just Moss?

Ok, how many players came out and looked like Taylor Jacobs? Whats that you say, alot? Thanks for playing!

Did anyone other than Redskins fans think that Taylor Jacobs could be great in the NFL? I remember everyone saying great wrs don't come out of Florida...

But denial is an ugly thing. Bryant may or may not have a good game on Sunday Night but his arrow points up. IMO, bust is unlikely.

Did anyone other than Redskins fans think that Taylor Jacobs could be great in the NFL? I remember everyone saying great wrs don't come out of Florida...

But denial is an ugly thing. Bryant may or may not have a good game on Sunday Night but his arrow points up. IMO, bust is unlikely.

How does his arrow point up Ken, we have yet to see him play a down and there are knocks on him. He might be the next Taylor Jacobs for all we know.

Archived