Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Haynesworth Possibly Inactive Week 1

dgr81

Liked him playing the whole game... against backups too.

I see it as part of his conditioning... football shape.

Well he was on the field for the field for the full game but I'm not sure you could say he played the full game. I watched him while he was out there and a lot of times he was making minimal effort - just locking up with one lineman and dancing really. There was the odd play where he flashed his explosion but he was clearly a man goin through the motions much of the night.

That said he should and will play next week. I suspect he will not start but will end up seeing the majority of reps at RDE by the end of the game. Hopefully he turns it on when it starts to count.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/03/AR2010090300155.html

"

He's got to get in football shape," Shanahan said. "For the same reasons we've talked about. We got to get him some playing time so he can get back in football shape. I got to take a look at the film to tell you exactly how he played.

"But that's one of the reasons he's playing defensive end and nose tackle positions. We've got to get him as good as he can possibly be and get in football shape. There's only one way to do it and that's to practice and play."

Asked if Haynesworth was informed he would play the entire game, Shanahan said: "He knew. I think he knew. Coaches said he knew."

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett backed up Shanahan.

"He just needed reps," Haslett said. "I didn't see any impact plays. I didn't see any sacks or things like that. But those guys [Arizona's offensive line], if they do their work, then they're playing pretty well. I know the one [play], he had a mental error.

"He went the wrong way on the quarterback scramble. Besides that, I'm not sure. Hopefully, he played well for his sake."

Well he was on the field for the field for the full game but I'm not sure you could say he played the full game. I watched him while he was out there and a lot of times he was making minimal effort - just locking up with one lineman and dancing really. There was the odd play where he flashed his explosion but he was clearly a man goin through the motions much of the night.

That said he should and will play next week. I suspect he will not start but will end up seeing the majority of reps at RDE by the end of the game. Hopefully he turns it on when it starts to count.

I don't see him starting either. AH will be in the rotation for sure and I believe he will turn it on big time this game. I can't wait to see how nasty our D should be with AH wanting to play some football.

Yes, Albert Haynesworth isn't in "football shape"...and he just happens to also be the only player who didn't participate in Shanahan's offseason training lol...Yep, ok. ;)

If anyone thinks Shanahan still wasn't sure whether or not Haynesworth was in "football shape" with 2 minutes left in the last preseason game, they're deluding themselves :ols:...there was something else at play, here. I don't know if that "something else" is good or bad, but I don't buy that every single stinkin' thing Shanahan does concerning Albert Haynesworth is based on getting him in football shape.

And I'm starting to think the term "football shape" is being tossed around a lot here on ES kind of like how "moxie" was with Colt Brennan lol :D...

Asked if Haynesworth was informed he would play the entire game, Shanahan said: "He knew. I think he knew. Coaches said he knew."

That's a little too much equivocating for my tastes, personally. "Yes. No. Maybe." lol :ols:...

"He just needed reps," Haslett said. "I didn't see any impact plays. I didn't see any sacks or things like that.

I didn't see any "impact plays" or "sacks or things like that" during the entire preseason from D-Linemen who will be starting...but they apparently didn't need the reps because of it. I'm not sure Daniels even has a tackle this preseason. I do think AH needed the reps, though...not because he has had some mental errors, though. Hell, even Fletcher has had some mental errors this preseason, and even had them last preseason. But Haynesworth himself has admitted that he's still needing to learn his exact role and responsibilities in the 3-4.

I just don't think he needed an entire game's worth. Keeping the guy as healthy as possible trumped getting him into "football shape" somewhere in the middle of the 3rd quarter, imo.

I specifically watched AH on a lot of plays lastnight and what a big disappointment he was. He was being, well, Albert. Basically, he played when he felt like and he half-assed it the majority of the time.

As mentioned many times before, he doen't like playing football, he likes getting paid to play football. Playing against O'linemen that either will ride the pine or not even make the roster should've resulted in AH dominating if he was hungry and truly show his coaches and 'mates that he is all in.

People can spin it all they want, but when the coaches see the film I'm betting they aren't thrilled with what they see IMO.

Haynesworth missed pretty much all of the OTAs. He didn't even show up for any of the mini-camps. Once training camp started, there was the whole knee/conditioning test issue. So, he missed some more valuable time. Then there were the "headaches" that caused him to miss even more time. You add all that together and it's easy to see why they did that to them. The guy simply hasn't put in the work that the others have. Haynesworth is still learning while the other players are tuning up for the season. That's gotta piss the coaches off. So they are going make an example out of him.

None of the guys on this roster wanted to be here all offseason. I'm sure they wanted to be home too. But, they sucked it up for the team. They also realized that it was even more important since they were learning new systems. Haynesworth is learning things now that other guys learned a long time ago. He could have at least come to the mandatory mini-camps. It's frustrating because the guy has so much potential. He just doesn't have the right mindset.

If Shanny does this, then I am going to cry. He has made his point. We all know who, and what, Albert is. Don't make this next week about Albert again. Let the players concentrate on the game...come on, it is DALLAS!!! If he does this, the players will be overwhelmed w/ reporters just talking about AH. Bruce Allen needs to step in, and take control. He needs to look after the team. Distractions should be done w/. Shanny was supposed to change all of this crap. If he doesn't like AH, and doesn't want him on his team, then grow a pair and cut him! If not, yell @ him behind close doors, whip him in shape, and stop all these stupid leaks to the media.

I think making him playing the entire game was over kill. Half would have made the point

if he makes him inactive he will lose the team/ It comes a time top say when

Oh please. Give me a break. If he makes him inactive he's not going to "lose the team." He'll be rewarding the guys that have been busting their ass and in return get the respect and all out effort from those guys.

I have to say, after seeing Albert out there for the entire game he doesn't look in any better shape than he was last year. One thing I tried to look at was how many guys he occupied and whether he was just supposed to hold his ground in the middle rather than make all the tackles and get sacks. I hope it's the former cause he didn't do much of the latter.

I didn't see Keomatu out there.....did he play?

I didn't see Keomatu out there.....did he play?

No - along with most of the starters he did not put pads on last night. Actually Anthony Bryant who played at NT instead of Kemo actually looked very good. He seemed to hold his ground against the Cards starting line better than I have seen from Kemo so far.

No - along with most of the starters he did not put pads on last night. Actually Anthony Bryant who played at NT instead of Kemo actually looked very good. He seemed to hold his ground against the Cards starting line better than I have seen from Kemo so far.

Agreed. I think Bryant looked much better than Kemo has. I want Kemo to be the run stuffing, space eating NT that we need, but he's been easily knocked back from the line of scrimmage repeatedly in every preseason game so far (except last night when he didn't play).

With Kemo still recovering from a year off I think we have to keep Bryant on this team, we have no depth at what is arguably the most important position in the 3-4.

I think making him playing the entire game was over kill. Half would have made the point

if he makes him inactive he will lose the team/ It comes a time top say when

It's the complete opposite of that. The team could give a rats ass about whether AH is active or inactive...whether he makes the roster or they cut him. The rest of the people on the roster have been fighting for their rolls on this team where AH protested that he didn't want to be here. The team spoke and said that if he's not with them then they would move on. That's still a fact. I think it's apparent that AH is still playing half ass'd and still has the same entitlement attitude. I think if Shanahan makes him inactive for the game then it does more to show the team that he is in charge and nobody is entitled to anything around here anymore.

I agree with Lavar about this situation and if Shanahan had already decided prior to AH coming in, what exactly he was going to do with AH, then unless AH plays his hardest and is ready to rip, then he isn't going to play. He will never play like he needs to and they're done with him. The only thing left to do is send a message to the rest of the team that this is a team and attitudes like this guy has will never be allowed.

I still think AH is done as a Redskin and he can choose to play his BS games and half ass it somewhere else.

I'm 100% behind the FO and the coach with AH. They know what they're doing and will not be manipulated by anyone.

HTTR!!!

Oh please. Give me a break. If he makes him inactive he's not going to "lose the team." He'll be rewarding the guys that have been busting their ass and in return get the respect and all out effort from those guys.

He will also be making Dallas pretty happy that they won't have to worry about Haynesworth and can just one on one block all of our guys on the DL.

Anthony Bryant > Howard Green :)

Green is an easy cut. He has looked slow and old at 32. He has shown little ability to hold up inside and allow Fletcher to make plays.

Bryant is 29 but looks hungry and a guy who gives 110%.

Not a hard decision there.

But the larger decision is what to do with Kemoeatu?

When he was 'right' physically in past seasons he was a real force inside.

But this preseason clubs have run right up the gut on the Redskins and that's not supposed to happen against the 3-4.

The question for the staff is, does Kemoeatu simply need more time to shake off the rust and return to what he has been in the past or at 31 is he simply physically past his prime and subject to the law of diminishing returns?

That's a tough one.

I doubt a NT who can help us is going to pop up on the Saturday cut lists.

We may have to go with Bryant until Kemoeatu is ready to be the full-time starter.

Perhaps Bryant suprises everyone and locks down the NT job?

Anthony Bryant > Howard Green :)

We may have to go with Bryant until Kemoeatu is ready to be the full-time starter.

Perhaps Bryant suprises everyone and locks down the NT job?

I aree with this 100%. Bryant was good last night and some of that was against the Cards 1st string not just the scrubs. It was no coincidence that last night was our best effort against the run all preseason.

Kemo is struggling to hold his ground I think because he is still not 100% in his achilles and you need that lower leg drive to engage those double teams you need your NT to absorb. I would not be surprised if Bryant ended up playing more snaps that Kemo at NT this year.

He will also be making Dallas pretty happy that they won't have to worry about Haynesworth and can just one on one block all of our guys on the DL.

I agree with this assuming AH is giving 100%. On the other hand, I would argue that an AH who's only running at, say 75%, because he's out of shape, upset with his situation here, etc. is no better or more of a concern to Dallas than a Bryant or Maake at full throttle.

I understand Shanahan saying Haynesworth needs to get into football shape, and last night was a good test of where he is as far as physical conditioning goes. He didn't look out of shape like last year, taking knees after plays, begging to come out of the game. He looked right, physically. Maybe last night was the final test to see if Haynesworth could go a full game without collapsing.

The only thing that I question is, if Shanny does intend to use Albert in full force during the regular season, it would have been pretty crappy to have him in their in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers who are playing for their football life to make a squad, and one guy gets over-zealous trying to impress coaches and an accident happens......

I understand Shanahan saying Haynesworth needs to get into football shape, and last night was a good test of where he is as far as physical conditioning goes. He didn't look out of shape like last year, taking knees after plays, begging to come out of the game. He looked right, physically. Maybe last night was the final test to see if Haynesworth could go a full game without collapsing.

The only thing that I question is, if Shanny does intend to use Albert in full force during the regular season, it would have been pretty crappy to have him in their in the 4th quarter against 3rd stringers who are playing for their football life to make a squad, and one guy gets over-zealous trying to impress coaches and an accident happens......

Its called making a player hungry to do the job he's supposed to do, viciously. AH will eat OL for lunch this year. Shanahan has played this perfectly.

Archived