Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Tiger Woods washed up?

blue collar

I'm don't particularly care for Tiger the person. I also don't really care for Tiger's on-course demeanor. Always with the long face and mini-tantrums. He's also a terrible interview.

I do however like watching good golf, and enjoy watching him when he plays well because when he is in form, he is the greatest golfer of this generation (maybe all-time). I'm no Tiger fan, but root for him to play well because it ups the excitement of the game. In that sense, maybe you could call me a "fan", but I don't think that's an accurate description.

Just as I predicted, all his "phony" fans have come out of the woodwork. Just wait, now you'll start to see your local golf courses flooded with these frauds. They'll be the ones wearing the Nike hats and polos, and hitting it all over the yard, holding everyone up.

Tiger winning yesterday might have been good for future ratings, but it also signaled the return of all the fake golf fans. Disgusting.

Where were you people the last 3 years? Bunch of phonies.

I was here August 11 2011, not even a year ago, telling you were to early in saying Woods is "washed up", being the expert on the PGA tour, you didn't even give him a chance to get healthy and play past his injuries. You are going to end up being very wrong on this one, not only will he win another major, I predict he will break Jacks record.

I think golf is a lot more interesting when Tiger is playing well.

The main thing I like about Tiger's influence on golf is that he made "winning" important again. Throughout the 80s and 90s, you had too many guys like Norman who seemed happy to consistently finish on the first page of the leader board because that kept their corporate brand going. They just had to be good enough. While Tiger was certainly a corporation, his business was built on winning tournaments.

In the 80s, I don't think anyone would have questioned Mickelson when he was going to win his first major. And they certainly wouldn't have been on his ass about winning more once he did break through.

Doesn't matter. I've been a fan of the Heels all my life. You know that and everyone I know knows that. As long as you support your team through good and bad, that's all that I care about.
That's just it, the Heels are NEVER bad. Hence, why you started pulling for them in the first place, instead of Maryland. You and I both know it makes no sense. But we already covered that enough.

As for Tiger: I respect what the guy has accomplished. Hell, he's the 2nd best golfer of all time. But he's an *******. The guy truly thinks his **** doesn't stink. For the life of me I don't know why this guy has so many followers. I guess it goes back to what I was just talking about; people will go to great lengths to pull for a 'winner'. And you guys can say what you want, but I haven't heard a peep about Tiger from friends and family that like him, up until recently. You don't just pull for someone when they're on top.

I was here August 11 2011, not even a year ago, telling you were to early in saying Woods is "washed up", being the expert on the PGA tour, you didn't even give him a chance to get healthy and play past his injuries. You are going to end up being very wrong on this one, not only will he win another major, I predict he will break Jacks record.
For the record, I wasn't totally convinced the guy was "washed up". I just can't stand the guy. So I wanted him to be. I knew he'd probably get back to his old self, sooner or later. However, I still don't see him ever getting back to the 'dominant' Tiger that he once was. The one that had a chance to win each and every tournament he entered. Those days are long gone.

And I would almost bet my life that he won't break Jack's record. It's one thing to win at Bay Hill. He isn't getting Jack's record. No chance. Jack will go down as the greatest ever. Not only does the man have 18 majors or whatever, but he only has 19 second place finishes in them, as well. That's mind-boggling. Tiger is definitely the best golfer of his generation, though, yes.

---------- Post added March-26th-2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

Since most of us are Skins fans here - I think we've mastered that notion. :ols:
Yeah, no kidding. No one can really ever accuse any of us of being fairweather. However, there were still a few Redskins fans on this board that were pulling for the Giants to win the SB. But don't even get me started on that.

For the record, I wasn't totally convinced the guy was "washed up". I just can't stand the guy. So I wanted him to be. I knew he'd probably get back to his old self, sooner or later. However, I still don't see him ever getting back to the 'dominant' Tiger that he once was. The one that had a chance to win each and every tournament he entered. Those days are long gone.

And I would almost bet my life that he won't break Jack's record. It's one thing to win at Bay Hill. He isn't getting Jack's record. No chance. Jack will go down as the greatest ever. Not only does the man have 18 majors or whatever, but he only has 19 second place finishes in them, as well. That's mind-boggling. Tiger is definitely the best golfer of his generation, though, yes.

The 2nd place bit is a differentiator, however he only has 5 more "Major Championship" victories to tie Jack, at this point, would put money on him ending up with more Majors in the "Win" category.

Bubble makes a valid point about Jacks 2nd place finishes on top of the wins, Tiger will never touch it, however if he passes Jack in wins, he will be crowned the greatest of all time by the media.

I think it's harder to get the 2nds now. The fields are much deeper than ever before.

That's just it, the Heels are NEVER bad. Hence, why you started pulling for them in the first place, instead of Maryland. You and I both know it makes no sense. But we already covered that enough.

As for Tiger: I respect what the guy has accomplished. Hell, he's the 2nd best golfer of all time. But he's an *******. The guy truly thinks his **** doesn't stink. For the life of me I don't know why this guy has so many followers. I guess it goes back to what I was just talking about; people will go to great lengths to pull for a 'winner'. And you guys can say what you want, but I haven't heard a peep about Tiger from friends and family that like him, up until recently. You don't just pull for someone when they're on top.

If I was worried about rooting for only winning teams, why do I root for the Redskins, Orioles, Wizards, and Caps? I don't have to explain my fandom to you.

I like Tiger not because he wins, but because he makes golf interesting. He's not only playing against the current players, he's playing against all-time greats like Jack. I love to see history in sports, I was rooting for the Pats to go 18-0 just to be able to say I saw that happen. I want to see Tiger break Jack's record because its history and it something cool to see. If he doesn't break it, its not the end of the world for me. I want golf to be entertained since I have no dog in the fight, Tiger is entertaining to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

As bad as he played in the Masters, I was sure that this thread would be on the front thread topic page. Another note on Tiger. He is one of the most unprofessional athletes out there. Kicking his club after a bad shot?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, all this "is Tiger back?" talk has been overblown, but that's to be expected.

Good win for him, especially with a helluva comeback on Sunday. Birdie on 3 of final 4 holes to win? That's clutch. But that's just one tournament.

Let him have some success in a big name tournament like the Open in a few weeks and then we can talk Tiger being back. Good win for him, but he's got a long way before he's "Tiger" again.

Archived