Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Inc: Clinton Portis 54th best RB in the NFL

MattFancy

54th is low but no way he's a top 20 back either. I'd put him somewhere around 35.

Bottom line. CP got his yards on a gazilion carries, not because he was breaking loose or scoring TDs. He's a workhorse and that's about it.

You know how many times Portis has averaged at least 4 ypc since joining the Skins 6 years ago? 4 times.

You know how many times LaDainian Tomlinson averaged at least 4 ypc in that same timespan? 3 times.

For LT's first six seasons in the league, he NEVER had fewer than 313 rush attempts in a season. Yet you never hear anyone describe Tomlinson the way you just described Portis.

And why, exactly, is a "workhorse" runningback something to devalue?

And why, exactly, is a "workhorse" runningback something to devalue?

I didn't know that was a bad thing either. So guys like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith, LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, etc. should be devalued because they were workhorse backs? Makes no sense.

Yesterday I looked at espn's top fantasy players and they had D McNabb all the way down at 102 under great players such as Cadillac Williams, Jets defense, Steve Slayton, Darren McFadden, Jermichael Finley, and of course Kevin Kolb. I know the Jets have a good Defense but how the hell are they gonna get more fantasy points than any starting QB not named Jamarcus Russel.

I didn't know that was a bad thing either. So guys like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith, LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, etc. should be devalued because they were workhorse backs? Makes no sense.

Dude. CP shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as most of those guys. Teams lost sleep game planning for them. No one loses sleep over CP. he's not going to break one off for a score so teams know that if they take away the deep pass, we are going to struggle to score points.

And Barry Sanders a workhorse back? Are you freekin' kidding me? He was the most dynamic back I have ever seen. 8 men in the box, no passing attack, a mediocre line, and teams still couldn't contain him.

Now if you want a workhorse with value - John Riggens. The man was a tank who wore down defenses and earned the right to be called a hog because even when the blocking wasn't there, he would run over people or drag them down the field on his back. CP's big trick is to fall forward.

CP is a decent to good back, but that's about it. *IF* he is our primary back this year, it's only because everyone else is worse. The first decent back we draft will put CP out the door.

I think it's fair to say that Clinton Portis at Marion Barber's age was a ton better than Marion Barber. I think it's "fair" to say that Clinton Portis on his absolute best day today is as good as Marion Barber and better at some things.

It's not fair to say Marion Barber is 44 ranks better than Clinton Portis today but it's fair to say he's 44 ranks more attractive in any potential coach or reporter's eyes than today's Clinton Portis.

(We'll see what happens with Shanny.) ;)

I think it's fair to say that Clinton Portis at Marion Barber's age was a ton better than Marion Barber. I think it's "fair" to say that Clinton Portis on his absolute best day today is as good as Marion Barber and better at some things.

It's not fair to say Marion Barber is 44 ranks better than Clinton Portis today but it's fair to say he's 44 ranks more attractive in any potential coach or reporter's eyes than today's Clinton Portis.

(We'll see what happens with Shanny.) ;)

Marion Barber was completely ho hum last year and he was mostly healthy. He's not even as good as his backups are. Please ESPN and Madden, why don't we wait for the guy to break 1,000 yards rushing once, just ONE TIME, in a season before we put him in the top 10 of his position in the league. ****in Fred Jackson for the awful Bills hit that mark last season and Barber has never done it.

LoL, Portis has and in the long run will have a better career than probably everyone except 10 (prob less) people in front of him on this list....

Crazy, I can't see what he is trying to state here, How good he is now, Fantasy worth, IDK... How the list is made, after the top 10, he could have been anywhere...

#54 Hahahah hysterical

Any list that has Cadillac ranked in the top 50 along with LJ is obviously written by somebody under the influence of a substantial amount of alcohol and / or drugs that may or may not cause severe hallucinations and / or death. So looking at it from that perspective, I think the author of that list did a great job even naming that many RB's. I have a problem remembering that many while I'm sober. Hopefully they can get their act together over there at Scouts Inc because they would do a great job if they laid off the sauce / PCP.

Clinton is not as bad as the world thinks. I like the bad PR; maybe it will motivate Clinton.

Dude. CP shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as most of those guys. Teams lost sleep game planning for them. No one loses sleep over CP. he's not going to break one off for a score so teams know that if they take away the deep pass, we are going to struggle to score points.

Now if you want a workhorse with value - John Riggens. The man was a tank who wore down defenses and earned the right to be called a hog because even when the blocking wasn't there, he would run over people or drag them down the field on his back. CP's big trick is to fall forward.

CP is a decent to good back, but that's about it. *IF* he is our primary back this year, it's only because everyone else is worse. The first decent back we draft will put CP out the door.

First it's good to know that you have the inside knowledge on who causes coaches to lose sleep over.

It's also good to know that you are a victim on the NFL Films mythmaking machine. No holes and John Riggins would just carry people? Have you actually watched games or just select highlights from NFL Films? Clearly it's the latter. If you watch the actual games and all his carries, you would know that when there wasn't a hole Riggins got stuffed for little yardage. Kind of explains the low career ypc number doesn't it?

As for CP, he has gained more yards at this point in a career than ANYONE except 8 players in the history of the sport. Not a bad workhorse. In Redskin history he blows away every runner and receiver in yards per game played.

As for the list, Cali has done a fine job exposing it as the farce it is.

Archived