Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Inc: Clinton Portis 54th best RB in the NFL

MattFancy

54 seems low. Although he didn't do anything last season when healthy.

40-45 sounds right. Maybe the extra 10 spots is on the belief that he will get injured.

Even 40-45 is too low, IMO. Yeah he was hurt last year, but every year he's played a full season he's had at least 1,100yds and he's only had 2 seasons cut short due to injury.

For the record, Betts is #67.

Even 40-45 is too low, IMO. Yeah he was hurt last year, but every year he's played a full season he's had at least 1,100yds and he's only had 2 seasons cut short due to injury.

For the record, Betts is #67.

So basically, Scouts rates them about even.

Could you imagine if we had a competent FO that had traded Portis years ago for a great receiver or real linemen?

God. It's decisions like that which can turn an entire franchise.

So basically, Scouts rates them about even.

Could you imagine if we had a competent FO that had traded Portis years ago for a great receiver or real linemen?

God. It's decisions like that which can turn an entire franchise.

Well going by this list, we should trade Portis for Clifton Smith. So I don't know how accurate this list is.

And I'm a huge CP supporter, so you know what my answer would be...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting/_/position/9

10. Marion Barber

11. Jamaal Charles

12. Joseph Addai

13. Pierre Thomas

14. Brian Westbrook

15. Cedric Benson

16. Rashard Mendenhall

17. Ricky Williams

18. Ahmad Bradshaw

19. Chester Taylor

20. Darren Sproles

26. Steve Slaton

30. Matt Forte

31. Fred Jackson

40. Michael Bush

41. Bernard Scott

42. Jerious Norwood

43. Kevin Smith

45. Derrick Ward

48. Clifton Smith

49. Donald Brown

50. Kevin Faulk

51. Maurice Morris

52. Sammy Morris

53. Tashard Choice

How did these guys even make the list? And behind Portis? The whole list is worthless.

Since when does less mileage make you a better RB? If that's the case give me Ryan Matthews and CJ Spiller over Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

Less mileage is always preferred.

Would you rather have a Denver Broncos version of Portis, or the one we have seen here the last few years? One that now has suffered a concussion.

Less mileage, better work ethic and not a headache.
Since when does less mileage make you a better RB? If that's the case give me Ryan Matthews and CJ Spiller over Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

In 99% of RB conversations I'd agree with Matt completely but for some reason if we're only talking about Barber and Portis and only at the current stage in their careers, I gotta go with McD. :(

As others have said, this list is horrible. I'd have Portis in the top 20 easily, and most of these guys would be way further down than they are on this list (Barber, Westbrook, Slaton, etc.)

Hopefully CP proves his doubters wrong and has a big year this year. I would put him higher on this list simply because of his pass blocking. He is more complete a back than a number of people listed ahead of him.

:logo:

You actually think that alone places Barber 44 stinkin' spots ahead of Portis? lol :ols:...Jeebus, man.

Here is the same problem we always have on this site.

Until this season, the media always says we suck. Posters call them stupid and biased. Then we suck, and the media has been right all along.

Yet people still don't get it. They never learn.

Put yourself in the writer's shoes. Do you think he has bothered to see a Skins preseason game this year, and is aware that Portis has looked a little better? Have you watched an equally bad (last year's team record) Detroit Lions or Oakland Raiders preseason game this year? Of course not. Why would you want to?

So he is going on last season.

And last season, Portis averaged only 60 yards a game when he was healthy. 60 yards! He wouldn't have started for any other team in the league after 60 yards a game. Only Dan.

He came in overweight and lazy, did absolutely nothing, then got a concussion.

Betts, Rock and Ganther all looked as good as, or better than Portis last year.

So....based on last year...when he was healthy....54 isn't that far off.

Certainly no higher than 40. No way.

If he was 40, what were Rock and Ganther--two players who haven't suffered concussions on top of everything else?

Here is the same problem we always have on this site.

Until this season, the media always says we suck. Posters call them stupid and biased. Then we suck, and the media has been right all along.

Yet people still don't get it. They never learn.

Put yourself in the writer's shoes. Do you think he has bothered to see a Skins preseason game this year, and is aware that Portis has looked a little better? Have you watched an equally bad (last year's team record) Detroit Lions or Oakland Raiders preseason game this year? Of course not. Why would you want to?

So he is going on last season.

None of that addresses what I said to YOU, though...which was if YOU felt generic things like "hard worker" and "not a headache" should place Barber 44 spots ahead of Portis. Yes. Or no.

And what kind of writer would base how anyone on the Skins will do this year based on last year only? We've made such HUGE, wholesale changes in the most important areas of the team that it's beyond stupid to think anything about this year's squad should be based on last year's squad...to the point that we should be ridiculing anyone who does, not defending that horrid type of "analysis".

But, since your logic supporting Barber's lofty position was just as flawed as this guy's logic appears to be, I can see why you'd relate to it so well lol ;)...

And last season, Portis averaged only 60 yards a game when he was healthy. 60 yards! He wouldn't have started for any other team in the league after 60 yards a game. Only Dan.

Actually it was 61.8 yards per game for Portis. Barber? Barber averaged 62.1 yards a game. 62.1 yards! Apparently those extra .3 yards made all the difference for you and the writer, and vaulted Barber up 44 freakin' spots over Portis :ols:...and yes, Barber averaged a low 14 carries per game. Portis averaged 15 carries per game. And yes, Barber ran behind a MUCH MUCH MUCH better line with a MUCH MUCH MUCH better offensive coordinator calling the plays and a MUCH MUCH MUCH better passing game to keep the defenses honest...and it resulted in a whopping .3 extra yards per game.

Betts, Rock and Ganther all looked as good as, or better than Portis last year.

That's why they all averaged less yards per carry than Portis did last year. Makes perfect sense.

If he was 40, what were Rock and Ganther--two players who haven't suffered concussions on top of everything else?

What...2 guys who have yet to actually be used to any degree for even half a season, nonetheless proven that they can produce for an entire season?...I'd imagine they'd fall somewhere below all those RBs who HAVE shown over and over again that they can produce when healthy. And guess what...Portis is one of those backs. And guess what (again)...Portis IS healthy this year.

This is beyond simple to understand...well, for anyone who is not automatically anti-Portis. Or named McD5.

Archived