Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Maybe I read that wrong (which is why I didn't really fire back about club allegiance). If so, honestly, my bad.

**** Fred though. No misunderstanding there.

Nah I was being straight up. I had quarterfinal a year ago against the best team in the entire league of all divisions. 5 mins in we struck off a cross from me. We dominated the first half and gave up a stupid tying goal. Loss in the second half 2-1 despite out playing the other team but we just couldn't break their mentality. Our defense loss focus and boom the game winning goal. Game still haunts us because even the refs said the game was so one sided.

Some of our team had tournament experience while others didn't and they got rattled.

The question is what got into the minds of Liverpool the first 10-15 mins when they looked off and then all second half. Maybe the moment was too big or they loss belief because they were only up 1? Klopp has had some serious issues in finals too so I wonder if that played any part.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Pool was not robbed though. They were up 1-0. They had every chance to kill the game and they didn't. Don't leave it to the ref to secure the game. Sevilla has been in that championship 2 times before and was a mentality tough team. Liverpool came out flat for whatever reason and Sevilla came out on fire. The big question is why Liverpool seem to fold at halftime when things were good? That would be my big issue if I was a Pool supporter. Actually I'd be wondering why we came out slow at the beginning and allowed Sevilla early chances and then why did we just go to sleep the second half? So essentially Pool played great 30 out of 90 mins because they were on their heels early first half. 30-35 mins in 90 min championship is not good enough. Especially if you aren't finishing.

agree and disagree. (and fair enough on the misunderstanding)

liverpool scored after 1-3 handballs that could have been called (the one where the defender had his hands low and out from his sides to make his profile bigger, to me, was the most egregious). that would have been 2-0 and a different ball game from both sides. it wasn't that we are looking for the refs to "save us" here, the score should have been 1-0 prior to the goal (assuming a good pk of course).

while the first 15 minutes wasn't pretty ball from either team, it didn't feel at all like 'pool was on their back foot... at least not any more than sevilla. i chalk it up to the excitement, adrenaline and nerves of a cup game on both sides.

where i agree with you: 1) we came out flat. unexcusable. we preach that to our HS teams... don't lose focus in the first 5 or the last 5 of a period. it's true for soccer, football, hockey, field hockey, etc. also the first 5 min after a score (either way). it's basic **** that baffles me at the professional level. i expect HS kids to be mentally weak, but pros should be better than that. 2) sevilla came out in the 2nd to play. as complete **** as our defense was, you can't take anything from sevilla and their goals.

i'd say things were equally chaotic for the first 15-20 min, with liverpool owning the last 25-30. sevilla owned the last 45+4. liverpool were hardly outmatched, which i take to mean out of their league or embarrassed. they were outplayed in the 2nd half.

i expect things to improve after klopp dictates a transfer window, though rebuilding liverpool will likely take more than one window to fix. as with the redskins, i don't think splashing the most cash on free agents is the right way to go. like with scotty mac, the 'pool supporters will need to be patient as klopp builds his young team into the terror of europe.

Edited by dchogs

Had flights all ready to book this AM for Trondheim. Guess we can cancel those rooms now. Ah well, that saves a shed load of money Norwegian prices.

Completely flat this morning as you can imagine. Never expected that and not sure what happened. Outside of Kolo I can't make a case for any player. Just about the worst we've played under him. Certainly in Europe. Against far from a top side. But still more than worthy winners. Yeah, the officiating was piss poor and completely against us. But we were just completely flat all game and deserved nottin'. And that includes the fans. Everything was just limp and unexplaianable. Only one team believed they'd win second half which is even more bizarre given all the great results/ performances/ comebacks in Europe this year.

Don't want to pick out individuals as everyone was wank, but if Moreno plays for this football club again the whole management team wants binning.

No European trips for a whole year. That's a complete killer. Live to go away in Europe. But at least there's a possible new ground to look forward to the second round the league cup right? Haha.

Just utterly depressed. But at least we've seen more than enough in 8 months under Klopp to know we're in real safe hands going forward. Just makes the summer targets that much harder with no European footie to offer. Can't see Gotze coming now at all.

Ahh well, least the train journey Geneva round the lake later is a picturesque one.

Mighty Reds.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

LFC didn't make it, but everything they did in the european cup was unexpected and already a big plus. It is going to be very interesting to see the Reds in the CL next year.

Something I noticed, the anthem of FC Sevilla is our national anthem La Marseillaise with different lyrics.

Probably an aftereffect of Sevilla 1982 :(

Edited by FrFan

LFC didn't make it, but everything they did in the european cup was unexpected and already a big plus. It is going to be very interesting to see the Reds in the CL next year.

Something I noticed, the anthem of FC Sevilla is our national anthem La Marseillaise with different lyrics.

Probably an aftereffect of Sevilla 1982 :(

Next year?

----

It is strange me that Klop's team have a habit of suddenly turning off in championships though. I think he loss his 5th in a row or something. I just don't get how that happens. I mean if Liverpool came out the same way it did parts of first half there's a good chance they win. But instead they got run over like Dortmund last year in the Pokal who had been playing inspired for Klop's exit.

Difficult to "Kill" a game when literally 4 of your attempts into the box are illegally handled.

Sure we had an opportunity (time) to get another... but there was a 30 minute stretch there that was ridiculous.

If the same happened to Munich, Real, Celtic, or Galatassary you'd have the same opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying that Sevilla didn't play the better over game (their game) but it's different if one or even two of those pens are given.  If all of them are given then it's 5 or 6-0 at HT.  Frustrating to see no clear hand balls given yet all of the soft dives were given as free kicks. 

Sevilla played the system and they played it well, but they were in serious trouble if it was a crooked number in the 1st half, as it should've been... at least twice.

Difficult to "Kill" a game when literally 4 of your attempts into the box are illegally handled.

Sure we had an opportunity (time) to get another... but there was a 30 minute stretch there that was ridiculous.

If the same happened to Munich, Real, Celtic, or Galatassary you'd have the same opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying that Sevilla didn't play the better over game (their game) but it's different if one or even two of those pens are given. If all of them are given then it's 5 or 6-0 at HT. Frustrating to see no clear hand balls given yet all of the soft dives were given as free kicks.

Sevilla played the system and they played it well, but they were in serious trouble if it was a crooked number in the 1st half, as it should've been... at least twice.

The pens didn't lose Pool the game. Only showing up for about 40 mins out of 90 did.

Sorry my bad only the winner plays the CL.

Yeah no Europe for Liverpool next year. But I assume they'll make it back to EL or CL next season.

The pens didn't lose Pool the game. Only showing up for about 40 mins out of 90 did.

Can't argue with that. That's a fact.

But what is also a fact is that Liverpool were hard done by that official.  Not once, but at least four solid times.

That changes the game and that is also a fact.

Can't argue with that. That's a fact.

But what is also a fact is that Liverpool were hard done by that official. Not once, but at least four solid times.

That changes the game and that is also a fact.

Like I said before my biggest issue is how Pool turned off. Which in championships seems to be a MO of Klop's teams. Dating back to 2013 his teams have had issues in finals. I don't think his tactics are bad at all in those games yet his teams seem to fall asleep. Edited by RichmondRedskin88

The only handie that I saw that was a flat out terrible miss was the one where the defender stuck his hand out low.  That's as blatant as it gets and it was missed.  The other couple, from what I remember, weren't nearly as bad and could be argued were simply football plays.  Again, from what I remember..could be wrong.

Liverpool now joins Chelsea with no europe next year.  It provides the opportunity for both to focus solely on the league and get back into good form.  As GHH mentioned though, it will be much harder for them to recruit talents to come play.  Oh well, hope Roman has his pocket book open..need to offer insane wages. 

The Firmino one early was a defo

The handle you mentioned above was a defo

The one where the center half pushed the ball out after Moreno went down was 50/50 but it was an intentional hand ball.  Would've been given earlier in the tournament and wasn't even given as a corner, it was a goal kick.  And you have 3 officials watching... not two.  ****ing three.

The Milner undercut was a 60/40 and I'm not really sure how that one wasn't called either

At least three of those are given in England and less have been given throughout the tournament.  Hardly any of the tackles that Sevilla got as fouls have been given anywhere else in the tournament.

I think the moment was too big for a lot of the players, but to completely ignore that it could've easily been 3, 4 or 5 nil at the half is revisionist. 

Have it if you need it.  :lol:

And I am not an idiot, Liverpool left it in the hands of the officials and didn't show up for the second half.  Showed up like it was job done.  But they got ****ed.  I don't need anyone in here to say they did or they didn't, I know they did.

We'll win a European Trophy within the next two years.

Like I said before my biggest issue is how Pool turned off. Which in championships seems to be a MO of Klop's teams. Dating back to 2013 his teams have had issues in finals. I don't think his tactics are bad at all in those games yet his teams seem to fall asleep.

I'll worry about that after a window or two where he brings in his guys.  I just think in that CL game, as it was before your time as a Bayern fan, Munich were more talented and it was actually a pretty close game.

This one was not that close.

Edited by DC9

Glad I didn't go to that US Open Cup match. Local team (semi-pros) got beat by amateur side. 

Honestly though, there isn't much difference between the semi-pros and the amateur sides. Basically pulling from the same pool of players.

The only handie that I saw that was a flat out terrible miss was the one where the defender stuck his hand out low.  That's as blatant as it gets and it was missed.  The other couple, from what I remember, weren't nearly as bad and could be argued were simply football plays.  Again, from what I remember..could be wrong.

Liverpool now joins Chelsea with no europe next year.  It provides the opportunity for both to focus solely on the league and get back into good form.  As GHH mentioned though, it will be much harder for them to recruit talents to come play.  Oh well, hope Roman has his pocket book open..need to offer insane wages. 

EPL could have about 9 teams challenging for the CL spots next season.

Glad I didn't go to that US Open Cup match. Local team (semi-pros) got beat by amateur side.

Honestly though, there isn't much difference between the semi-pros and the amateur sides. Basically pulling from the same pool of players.

The battery? No that's embarrassing. Kickers threw out 3rd and 2nd string and won 4-0. There is quite a gap between amateur and semi pro. USL teams are MLS loans. No business losing unless it's 3rd string maybe.

The battery? No that's embarrassing. Kickers threw out 3rd and 2nd string and won 4-0. There is quite a gap between amateur and semi pro. USL teams are MLS loans. No business losing unless it's 3rd string maybe.

1. is the worst of the bunch to me.

2. was tough to see, though i could tell in real time the ball went out of the sevilla player (just not of which body part). even in slow mo, it was tricky to see the trajectory or spin of the ball change (though it definitely did).

3. if firmino didn't run through the sevilla player, i bet that gets called. as it happened, the player to player contact essentially masked that the ball struck arm first because it was a bang-bang play.

i agree with you that all three were handballs. i can see where non-red fans could argue 2 and 3. #1 was just so blatant.

if we had that, then sturridge's goal, and then lovren's goal (without sturridge's correctly called offsides interference), we're at 3-0 and sitting pretty. the team came out looking like they thought they had that 3-0 lead. the second half was ugly.

• Like 1

From the angle, I can't tell how egregious the 3rd one is.  If his arm is extended then yeah, I'd agree.  Other two are fouls for sure.

it was past a 45 degree angle.

Firmino chipped it by him and he stuck his arm out to knock it down and then he also fouled Firmino when Firmino passed him

1. is the worst of the bunch to me.

2. was tough to see, though i could tell in real time the ball went out of the sevilla player (just not of which body part). even in slow mo, it was tricky to see the trajectory or spin of the ball change (though it definitely did).

3. if firmino didn't run through the sevilla player, i bet that gets called. as it happened, the player to player contact essentially masked that the ball struck arm first because it was a bang-bang play.

i agree with you that all three were handballs. i can see where non-red fans could argue 2 and 3. #1 was just so blatant.

if we had that, then sturridge's goal, and then lovren's goal (without sturridge's correctly called offsides interference), we're at 3-0 and sitting pretty. the team came out looking like they thought they had that 3-0 lead. the second half was ugly.

They have a 3rd official on the goal line.

They were using goal line technology.

His SOLE mission was to look for stuff like this. :lol: