Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Pearce said he's on the bench, Sturridge will start.

The way it should be. Have Sturrridge down for a MoM performance and at least a couple of goals in a 3-0 win. 

Just for MisterP:

Wednesday will be the 6th UEFA trophy we've played for (2 EC/ 2 UEFA/ 2 SC- 4 W/ 1 L) since Everton last won a trophy.  :D.

Right, a few hours sleep then I shall see you present and correct sometime late Thursday night/ Friday morning. With yet another UEFA Cup in the bag! And before you tell me about being cautious and Sevilla going for a three-pete .....

CS5yj_rWoAAvprF.png

ChsPiHsVEAAFqdQ.jpg

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

How did y'all come to pick the Euro clubs you root for? I personally have trouble finding a stake in a team that's playing on a completely different continent. I mean, I can understand it to an extent, certai

Similar to Mr. Pinstripe, just different club.  I started following Blackburn because of Brad Friedel and they stuck

• Like 1

Similar to Mr. Pinstripe, just different club.  I started following Blackburn because of Brad Friedel and they stuck

Ahem....

n_liverpool_fc_various-3845388.jpg

I'm stoked... tonight it's going to be difficult to sleep. 

This is so huge for Liverpool.

Also, I MUCH prefer Friedel's commentary to Alexi Lalas'. 

I notice Alexi hasn't called a match since the Man United series.  Probably because of the back lash from the fans.

The way the dude talks he better take the USMNT from Klinsmann and win the World Cup.... which I actually supported a couple of years ago, tbf.

Also, I MUCH prefer Friedel's commentary Nails on a Chalkboard to Alexi Lalas'. 

I notice Alexi hasn't called a match since the Man United series.  Probably because of the back lash from the fans.

There, fixed it for you.

• Like 1

Nah, Alexi talks about quality of play and he isn't shy about it.  Which is why I think he should get a managerial position somewhere.  Would like to see him put his money where his mouth is.

He does spend a lot of time talking about hand balls.  If a ball touches a hand, no matter what the distance or what the circumstance, it's a penalty. :lol:

I am not sure the Welsh Pirlo wants to take his talents up there. But you never know.

Dave O’Connell ‏@DaveOCKOP 1h1 hour ago

Looks like Brendan Rodgers could be off to Celtic. Sky reporting he's their number one choice.

Rodgers to Celtic. That would be interesting. Maybe it's a nice fresh start for him. I don't think he's a bad manager just maybe not right for Pool.

Viktor Fagerström @ViktorFagerLFC 5m5 minutes ago

Sevilla's manager Unai Emery: "#LFC are one of the top 10 sides in the world."

This is for you Richmond

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 3h3 hours ago

Milner: "So much put on being in top 4 & CL. But ultimately if look back on career, won nothing, then nothing in your cabinet to look at."

Viktor Fagerström @ViktorFagerLFC 5m5 minutes ago

Sevilla's manager Unai Emery: "#LFC are one of the top 10 sides in the world."

This is for you Richmond

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 3h3 hours ago

Milner: "So much put on being in top 4 & CL. But ultimately if look back on career, won nothing, then nothing in your cabinet to look at."

Eh, that's true in a sense, but also depends on the situation. Would you want to play in the Championship so you could win the league and get a trophy? No, you want to play in the EPL and try to win. You want to win a trophy at the highest level, I don't find anything wrong with people putting more stock in winning the CL over EL. Its a tougher trophy to win and so it means more. Doesn't mean if a team is in the EL they wouldn't want to win that trophy.

If its all about just winning a trophy, would you expect a team like Arsenal to drop out of the CL and try to win the EL since it would be easier and a higher chance of winning a trophy? No, because you would expect them to try to compete and win at the highest level.

Eh, that's true in a sense, but also depends on the situation. Would you want to play in the Championship so you could win the league and get a trophy? No, you want to play in the EPL and try to win. You want to win a trophy at the highest level, I don't find anything wrong with people putting more stock in winning the CL over EL. Its a tougher trophy to win and so it means more. Doesn't mean if a team is in the EL they wouldn't want to win that trophy.

If its all about just winning a trophy, would you expect a team like Arsenal to drop out of the CL and try to win the EL since it would be easier and a higher chance of winning a trophy? No, because you would expect them to try to compete and win at the highest level.

I don't disagree.

But the discussion was Top 4 over Europa League and going out the CL semis over winning Europa league.

They don't give medals out for either.

I don't disagree.

But the discussion was Top 4 over Europa League and going out the CL semis over winning Europa league.

They don't give medals out for either.

If I knew for a fact that my team would not win the league or the CL I would take the Europa for sure. I agree that a trophy is worth a lot more. You want to actually win something. However the choice wouldnt be so easy if I was told I could either see my team win the EL or have a good chance to win the league or CL.

If I knew for a fact that my team would not win the league or the CL I would take the Europa for sure. I agree that a trophy is worth a lot more. You want to actually win something. However the choice wouldnt be so easy if I was told I could either see my team win the EL or have a good chance to win the league or CL.

This guy gets it^^

If you are completely overmatched domestically and at CL level yeah Europa is good for you. But if you have legit chance you'd want to be in the CL. Bayern could win the EL every year but they also have a great chance of winning the CL. Which would you rather be playing for?

If I knew for a fact that my team would not win the league or the CL I would take the Europa for sure.

Well, I'm sure you'd take anything at this point :lol:  :P

This guy gets it^^

If you are completely overmatched domestically and at CL level yeah Europa is good for you. But if you have legit chance you'd want to be in the CL. Bayern could win the EL every year but they also have a great chance of winning the CL. Which would you rather be playing for?

350x232px-d4837514_Point_over_your_head.

However the choice wouldnt be so easy if I was told I could either see my team win the EL or have a good chance to win the league or CL.

Here's the very simple question:

Would you rather:

(1)  Win the Europa League

(2) Go out in the Semis of the Champions League

I know the answer.  The fact that ya'll are in here dorking around the point is because I know that you know that I know that you know. :lol:

Edited by DC9

Well, I'm sure you'd take anything at this point :lol::P

350x232px-d4837514_Point_over_your_head.

Not really... To have a legit argument as best in the world you must best compete against the best. It would be like BCS vs FCS. If you won the FCS you win a national title but it's really 137 behind all the bowls. Vs BCS which is the national champion.

Trophies are great and you should always want to win them but their meaning is important too. A few here have attacked Bayern's Deutscher Meister. Saying its a one horse league so it means nothing. So why is it a exception when Pool plays in a lesser Eurooean competition? Yeah it is huge for Pool fans as they haven't had Eurooean success in over a decade but it is lesser competition.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1

Here's the very simple question:

Would you rather:

(1)  Win the Europa League

(2) Go out in the Semis of the Champions League

I know the answer.  The fact that ya'll are in here dorking around the point is because I know that you know that I know that you know. :lol:

But you are missing the point of what I said. What I said was:

Would you rather:

(1) Win the Europa League

(2) Be in the Semis of the CL with a good chance to win it?

I think any player would take option number 2. And thats what a team like Bayern, Barcelona, Real, City, Dortmund, Arsenal, etc is looking at going into a season. They are looking at making a deep run into the CL to try to win it. Are you saying they should just drop down to the Europa league and win that instead as its a lot easier to do for a team like that? Because they have a higher chance of getting a trophy in a lesser competition?

I would think not, of course all of those teams are and should going to want to win in the biggest competition, the biggest trophy.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Would you rather:

I think any player would take option number 2. And thats what a team like Bayern, Barcelona, Real, City, Dortmund, Arsenal, etc is looking at going into a season. They are looking at making a deep run into the CL to try to win it. Are you saying they should just drop down to the Europa league and win that instead as its a lot easier to do for a team like that? Because they have a higher chance of getting a trophy in a lesser competition?

I would think not, of course all of those teams are and should going to want to win in the biggest competition, the biggest trophy.

Please do not lump Arsenal and City in with teams like BM barca and real.  It makes my brain hurt.

carry on.  

Edited by SkinssRvA

Please do not lump Arsenal and City in with teams like BM barca and real. It makes my brain hurt.

carry on.

Wait you are Chelsea supporter so you should understand this best. Euro vs CL. Euro was a good win but wasn't winning the CL in the most unlikely fashion (Damn you lucky turds lol) exciting as hell?

Heh, not all are equal but all are in the CLs and typically make it deep into it. Just finding examples, no need to get panties in a bunch. :lol::P

Just having some fun at the expense of Arsenal and City.  It would be like including, say, wolfsburg to you.  

Wait you are Chelsea supporter so you should understand this best. Euro vs CL. Euro was a good win but wasn't winning the CL in the most unlikely fashion (Damn you lucky turds lol) exciting as hell?

I want to be competing for the top prize year in year out.  That's CL.  EL to me is European hardware, but much like winning the bronze medal.  The two champions league finalists get gold and silver.

Beating Bayern for the CL was one of the greatest days for me as a supporter of any team.  Did not even come close to the same feeling winning EL a year later.  

• Like 1

Would you rather:

That wasn't the discussion.

The discussion started AFTER they lost.  And being a blue, you can understand how bitter they were at the time.

Where it was said "I'd rather lose the Champions League semis than win the Europa League."

You can have all these side conversations and what nots, but I know that you know that I know that you know that I know what you'd say. 

I think you lost the privilege to pick at fan bases a couple of pages back.

You've been a Bayern fan for 15 minutes. :lol:

Answer. The. Question.

Would you rather:

1)  Win. The. Europa. League.

2) Go. Out. In. The. Champions. League. Semis.

Not rocket science.  1 or 2?

If you don't answer I'll assume I'm right and you'd take a trophy.

Edited by DC9