Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I don't know... some dude with a lot of "stch" sounds in his name.

And I know ESPN FC isn't the best show to watch. Which is why I wanted to preface it with "they had a German journo on".

No one is being hard on the bundesliga.... I think many of us are merely pointing out that, along with the Ukrainian League, they're the only ones with one side left in Europe... while Spain has 4 and England has 2.

That's a decent point. But I think it's somewhat validated in that this is just how business is done in Germany. It's been a monopoly for a while.

You think Aubamoyang is staying? Hummels has one more shot at a big deal and he wants a shot at a trophy. Probably headed straight to Bayern or Spain. Aubamayang can go wherever he wants. 37 goals in a season is ridiculous.

I think Reus probably stays cause he's a local boy.

I'm more concerned about what you're going to do when Bayern and Real meet in the final?

That's gotta be tough.

What's funny is I'm literally going back and looking at old btfoom and Fred posts to format, and now that the counter-point works against it's all of a sudden a pot shot. :lol:

Grow some thick skin, ya'll. We're probably playing our U-21's against Bournemouth tomorrow... you may have a chance at fun.

Good show, brother.

I'm honestly hoping Real gets taken out by City. Real has been basically given a pass. When Ronaldo leaves there I'll have no reason to like them. Bale is cool but Ronaldo will always be favorite player. I been considering a trip to NJ this summer to see Bayern and Ronaldo as they take on Madrid. Real should have been against Roma and Wolfsburg. If they pull that kind of stuff against they get burned. I can only hope Pep realizes a away goal is vital in the first leg at Atletico.1-0 or 2-0 would be very bad.

If Dorymund stays together they will contend for titles. Auba is a beast with insane speed. Hummels is 50/50. I thought he dissed Bayern once though. We do need a defender so he would fit. I would prefer Ramos if he did indeed request a transfer.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think that would mean that rumur was true, just the nature of the modern game. Lewendoski and Gotze left while Klopp was there, did that mean they had an issue with Klopp? Don't think so, they just wanted to play somewhere else and get more money.

That's weird, though.  I thought the money was the same and the clubs were all fan owned?

How does one have more than another?

I mean, I'm tracking that Bayern has 15 players making over 100k a week, but for argument's sake.

EDIT:  But also keep in mind, that at the time, Klopp had already won Bundesliga and been to a CL final.

Edited by DC9

That's weird, though. I thought the money was the same and the clubs were all fan owned?

How does one have more than another?

I mean, I'm tracking that Bayern has 15 players making over 100k a week, but for argument's sake.

EDIT: But also keep in mind, that at the time, Klopp had already won Bundesliga and been to a CL final.

Uhhhhh, guess you have had this discussion with one of the German league followers? I'm not quite sure what you are going for here.

And don't see what your last statement has to do with anything, if you want to clarify.

Uhhhhh, guess you have had this discussion with one of the German league followers? I'm not quite sure what you are going for here.

And don't see what your last statement has to do with anything, if you want to clarify.

Yeah, that was from a conversation with them. 

Why I threw that last bit in was because you brought up that Lewi and Gotze left, but you didn't think it was a slight against Klopp... they just wanted more money.

We're talking about Tuchel right now and why players are leaving.  The Journo said that "they want to win trophies".  I was reminding you that Klopp had won Bundesliga before Gotze and Lewi left.  And he'd been to a CL final. 

Breaking it down further, Klopp had won trophies, so they didn't have to leave for them.

I'm still convinced that Bundesliga uses Bayern as a slick way to get the German Nationals extra caps together between competitions.  They just sprinkle in a bit of everyone else here and there.

But I'm a little crazy.

Klopp completely built Dortmund into the powerhouse they currently are. They'd done nothing the previous 5 seasons (not even making Europe for the previous three) and had really fallen on hard times. They hadn't had this consistency since Hitzfeld the mid '90's. Crowds had dipped and he got them believing and coming back. The whole nine yards. Everything that everyone so envies BvB for right now is, as everyone in Dortmund will so happily tell you, all down to one man. (Or two if you include his DoF Michael Zorc.). Even last season, after a disastrous start down to losing yet more players and injuries, he tweaked his style slightly to fit what he had at his disposal and turned things around to the extent they still made Europe and the German Cup final. 

Tuchel has done great this year, and is slowly changing some of the personnel. But let's not try make out everything wasn't already in place and he's not just continuing on from what his predecessor laid down. 

Rodgers at Liverpool on the other hand .....

Reading above this really has been a pointless debate. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Boy and girl had their first games today.  I'm not sure my daughter will appreciate the game based off today :lol:

The boy on the other hand... 5 tackles, an assist and a goal.  Mercy me.  I'm tickled pink right now.

Played a good center mid and cut off all but one attack from the other team which snuck through the keeper.  Kid worked his ass off.

Goal came at 3-1 to make it 4 (5-1 final) when the game was long gone but he deserved it.

Rocking the 8 shirt this year.  His choice not mine. :D

• Like 2

Boy and girl had their first games today.  I'm not sure my daughter will appreciate the game based off today :lol:

The boy on the other hand... 5 tackles, an assist and a goal.  Mercy me.  I'm tickled pink right now.

Played a good center mid and cut off all but one attack from the other team which snuck through the keeper.  Kid worked his ass off.

Goal came at 3-1 to make it 4 (5-1 final) when the game was long gone but he deserved it.

Rocking the 8 shirt this year.  His choice not mine. :D

Superb to read. Must get it from those Scouse roots.  :D.

Talking of class #8's .....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-pays-hillsborough-tribute-11194847

Hail. 

• Like 1

This thread has become like a family atmosphere with a side show of hypocrisy.

Example 456 - Post 19952 - Just couldn't resist a cheap shot, and for no reason

Example 474 - Post 19957 - Don't care, and not because it is not nice to read or that it's not cool, but if this was a friendly thread it would have it's place.  But, the comments by the big two in this thread have made a post like that hypocritical.

But, what the heck do I know.  My family story consists of heading downtown, same downtown as I go to now, and watching the Redskin parades when they won the Superbowl.  And, skipping school to do it.

Self evaluation man?

Seriously, if you ever have a spare set of those blinkered glasses that ONLY see one thing, send us a pair. I'd love to try them out 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Example 456 - Post 19952 - Just couldn't resist a cheap shot, and for no reason

Example 474 - Post 19957 - Don't care, and not because it is not nice to read or that it's not cool, but if this was a friendly thread it would have it's place.  But, the comments by the big two in this thread have made a post like that hypocritical.

But, what the heck do I know.  My family story consists of heading downtown, same downtown as I go to now, and watching the Redskin parades when they won the Superbowl.  And, skipping school to do it.

You shouldn't walk alone, Fred.

I'll take you in to meet the fellas if you want.

• Like 1

I'm at the stage where I'm wondering if Klopp's open dislike for Bayern, like any other BvB man, is playing a part here now he's ours?

Hail. 

Could be.  I can't remember the last time we've seen Fred twice in a couple of days.

But I also think it's tough for any fans who root for an entire league to stomach seeing "Those Scousers Again" whooping up on the hottest team in their league!

What's with that anyways?  I couldn't care less how other English teams do.  In fact I almost openly root for them to go to extras and expand all energy in Europe so they suffer in the league :lol:

Did you know Dortmund had only conceded 4 times in 2016?  And we got them 5 times in two legs.  Crazy.

What do you think about tomorrow?  I think Firmino has to play.  Coming off the injury, I think we rushed him into that Dortmund tie too soon.  Have to have him for Villareal, so give him minutes tomorrow.

• Like 1

Could be.  I can't remember the last time we've seen Fred twice in a couple of days.

But I also think it's tough for any fans who root for an entire league to stomach seeing "Those Scousers Again" whooping up on the hottest team in their league!

What's with that anyways?  I couldn't care less how other English teams do.  In fact I almost openly root for them to go to extras and expand all energy in Europe so they suffer in the league :lol:

Did you know Dortmund had only conceded 4 times in 2016?  And we got them 5 times in two legs.  Crazy.

What do you think about tomorrow?  I think Firmino has to play.  Coming off the injury, I think we rushed him into that Dortmund tie too soon.  Have to have him for Villareal, so give him minutes tomorrow.

Another great stat for you. Against German opposition at Anfield our record now stands at 14 wins, 3 draws and ZERO defeats. #europeanroyalty

For tomorrow, to start Derby week before the biggie Wednesday, I'd go something like Mingolet; Flanno,, Toure, Lucas, Smth; Stewart; Milner, Allen; Lallana, Bobby, Ojo; Sturridge.

I'd personally be giving Caulker a game with Lucas in midfield to rest Milner or Lallana. But he looks like the preverbal emergency loan who won't figure again. Maybe look to get Ibe involved. With a strong bench if needed.

Be giving Lucas and Allen every possible minute now with Hendo and Can looking done for the year. Agree about Firmino. He looked WELL off the pace Thursday and was anonymous without the ball.

Hail.

• Like 1

But, what the heck do I know. My family story consists of heading downtown, same downtown as I go to now, and watching the Redskin parades when they won the Superbowl. And, skipping school to do it.

I hope you are drunk because that makes no sense. None. Walk away while you still have some dignity. And don't think I'll forget you making light of a tragedy to try and score a weak ass point.

• Like 1

I hope you are drunk because that makes no sense. None. Walk away while you still have some dignity. And don't think I'll forget you making light of a tragedy to try and score a weak ass point.

SO glad I missed that. But reading that I can but imagine and think it's about time I knocked Fred off the response/ acknowledge list. 

Lazy, crazy day of watching today. Old Firm Scottish Cup semi at mid-day. Followed by Bournemouth- L'pool. Followed by the Cologne game for another look at my man-crush Hector to confirm he is that good. Rounded off be maybe the Samp- Milan game. 

It's what lazy Sunday's were made for haha. 

Hail. 

Really nice read this. And from an Evertonian to boot:

Anfield effect can be overstated but there’s no denying it is also spectacular | Paul Wilson | Football | The Guardian

I posted on these here pages after I got back from Dortmund about how it blew me away the amount of BvB fans who hadn't been over in 2001 the Champs League or the friendly a few years ago who just couldn't wait to experience the 'unique atmosphere of Anfield Road' as they call it. And again on Thursday, they were literally in awe outside taking photos and sampling it all in, in anticipation of getting inside. They'd come for the experience as much as to support their team. (Which they did magnificently. Watching their rhythmic bouncing and swaying as one from the other end was mesmerising. The constant flag waving just added to that.). And this from fans who are part of 80,000 plus at the Westfalenstadion with that whopping South terrace, the 'Yellow Wall', which has helped elevate their club into one of the most envied currently in Europe. But that is the reputation Liverpool FC and Anfield on a European night STILL carries around the Continent. We know, like most every Premier League ground since the introduction of seating, the price hike, and the new generation of 'middle class' fan that can afford that seats attracted, often the old place can be like a morgue for a run of the mill league game. But when we DO get it right ..... Man alive, there really is NO other place like it. ANYWHERE. And Thursday my word did we get it right. I LOVE that line from Tuchel about the 'stadium just seeming to know what was going to happen.' It really does sound trite but the bond and belief between the club and support, not least on nights like these is unique and one money just can't buy. 

I called round a good friends house last night to drop off my Derby ticket. (That one is KILLING me but finances are bitting hard and the European aways catching up with Villarreal so close to Dortmund and then the <hopefully> final in Basle. Something had to give.). And his son, who is 14, was still buzzing from Thursday. The single best game he's ever experienced and one he'll NEVER forget and be talking to his kids about in years to come. It's games and nights like that, that go down in folklore not just here but across the Continent and continue to keep LFC as a special football club in peoples minds. And when I think on it, it's probably the greatest game I've ever experienced at the old Stadium. The atmosphere didn't seem up there with he Chelsea semi in '05. But then everyone you read and speak to who watched said it sounded electric. From the awesome scenes of the players coach being greeted, to the spine-tingling YNWA then the ups and downs of an epic football match. Maybe you're just too invested on the game and nervous and then in disbelief at how it all turned out to really appreciate it. But to come back like that, after going 2-0 and then 3-1 behind and needing to score 3 times in a half hour or so against one of the best sides currently in Europe ..... Yeah, that has to rank as one of the the greatest nights of all that we'll be talking about for years and years and years. 

And in the transient World we live in, I wonder just how many new fans we picked up who watched that? Or how many players looked at it and thought 'man, I want to be a part of THAT!?' That special, special game against BvB really could be the catalyst on so many levels to shooting the club back to real prominence. 

I've personally been so, SO fortunate to of been born where I was, to of been brought up on the right side of this great City; and to of gotten to experience SO many fantastic nights, particularly on the European stage, that money just can not buy with memories that live with you forever. 

Thursday, not just in the life of a 14 year old and his generation, may just of been the greatest Anfield night of the lot. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Jurgen said he'd never seen anything like it.  He also couldn't stop talking about the drive to the ground.  That was very welldone.

Curious to see this 11.  Promised the kids a trip to the zoo if they played well yesterday so I'll be watching on the DVR later.  Looks like we will get to see Danny Ward, though.

The Anfield Chat @TheAnfieldChat 3m3 minutes ago

Confirmed #LFC starting XI to face @afcbournemouth: Ward, Randall, Toure, Lucas, Smith, Allen, Stewart, Ibe, Ojo, Firmino, Sturridge.

Smith is going to have his hands full with Ritchie.  If he can do Ritchie today, I think he'll earn more time.  Might even earn a PL loan next year.

• Like 1

Hmmm. MUCH changed side. Expected most of that bar Ward, Randle (who's looked completely out of his depth to me every game he's played) and the bang out of form/ confidence Ibe. Can't understand why there's no Fanno. Presume we're taking the opportunity to have a good look at Ward in competitive action to see if he has what it takes to be a solid back-up which I get. 

Great to see Smith back finally and another start for the very impressive Stewart and Ojo. 

Good luck boys. Mighty Reds.

Hail. 

Great half boys!

Love what I'm seeing from Ojo, and Ibe has been just ridiculous.

Was getting down on Danny, as he was not having a good run, then...BOOM!

Oh, and Ward looks very much the part, though he hasn't really been challenged. What a foot on that boy!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1