Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

The timidness is so annoying.... Also poor passing. I think at one point there was 20 passes just between the back four of the US.

Do not like the two forwards we have playing, but they are new to me so perhaps they are just having a bad game.

Hernandez, 11, keeps giving the ball away when we are in the offensive third. Once he had open space in front of him and turned right into an England player. Another time he had a lot of open space in front of him, with players running with him, and he slows down to a trot.

Really dislike this guy.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

The Europa League squad on UEFA's site. No Texeira is as surprising as it is disappointing. But I guess we're finally taking it seriously. At least in personnel. Attitude might still be another thing again .....

SQUAD 
Goalkeepers No. Name P G 22 Simon Mignolet - - 34 Ádám Bogdán - -
Defenders No. Name P G 2 Nathaniel Clyne - - 4 Kolo Touré - - 6 Dejan Lovren - - 12 Joe Gomez - - 17 Mamadou Sakho - - 18 Alberto Moreno - - 37 Martin Škrtel - -
Midfielders No. Name P G 7 James Milner - - 10 Coutinho - - 11 Roberto Firmino - - 14 Jordan Henderson - - 20 Adam Lallana - - 21 Lucas - - 23 Emre Can - - 24 Joe Allen - -
Forwards No. Name P G 9 Christian Benteke - - 15 Daniel Sturridge - - 27 Divock Origi - - 28 Danny Ings - -

Ibe and Rossiter don't need to be listed as they're both under-21 and have been at the club for 2 years continuous since the age of 15. Which is UEFA rules apparently. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

So I put on Germany- Poland, just because, like Germany- Austria/ Netherlands; England- Scotland; Australia- New Zealand; it's just one of those sporting occasions that totally transcends the sport being played and is about WAY much more ..... 

..... And there's Emre Can, making his full International debut ..... at RIGHT BACK! WTF? Who does Low think he is? BR?  :lol: .

Mixed first start for Emre. (Not surprising as he's NOT a fricking FB!  :angry: .). Very good going forward. Some very strong tackles and good distribution. But getting caught positionally, not least for the goal that got Poland back in it at 2-1 when he'd pushed up and there was gaping space in behind. And he had a miscued clearance that almost presented the Poles with a chance. Grew more into his defensive role second half whilst still great going forward.

We've known it was going to be sooner rather than later when he stepped up to full International level given the way Low has gushed about him but he could give you so much more in his natural position Joachim.

Hail. 

We've known it was going to be sooner rather than later when he stepped up to full International level given the way Low has gushed about him but he could give you so much more in his natural position Joachim.

First, who exactly was he going to replace in the midfield?  The only possible player would be Bellarabi.  Maybe Low, being the successfull national team coach that he is, decided to get him on the field in one of the few open spots (Lahm retired).  Like any good coach he is finding out exactly what the final roster will look like when they begin the tournament next summer.

As a Liverpool fan, I would expect you to be exited he was on the pitch.

And, it appeared to me that Low reigned his attacking defenders in the second half.  I would guess he instructed them to make runs in the first half, even though it left open the counter attack.

First, who exactly was he going to replace in the midfield?  The only possible player would be Bellarabi.  Maybe Low, being the successfull national team coach that he is, decided to get him on the field in one of the few open spots (Lahm retired).  Like any good coach he is finding out exactly what the final roster will look like when they begin the tournament next summer.

As a Liverpool fan, I would expect you to be exited he was on the pitch.

And, it appeared to me that Low reigned his attacking defenders in the second half.  I would guess he instructed them to make runs in the first half, even though it left open the counter attack.

I honestly would rather not have any Liverpool players playing Internationals. Could do without the extra games/ travelling and potential injuries personally. 

That said, I was very happy for Can to take the next step in his development yesterday. But trying to turn him into a RB is still foolhardy regardless of how successful a Coach Low is. He's a very intelligent player who could doubtless play anywhere across the midfield in whatever role with experience. But defence is  complete new ball game and he was all over the place when Rodgers stuck him back there last year as the right side of a three. And was even worse as a FB in a flat 4. 

I'd personally be looking to integrate him into the squad to take over from Schweinsteiger (who I thought looked a step slow again yesterday); to ultimately be in that role alongside Kroos. He just needs more experience and more discipline to hold his position that will come with that as he's more a natural box-to-box midfielder right now. 

Maybe it ultimately works. Maybe it doesn't. And overall I thought he handled things well and had a decent first full game. But Emre Can as a FB is asking for trouble. 

Hail. 

Great piece on the man, the myth, the living LEG-END Joe freaking Gomez in yesterdays paper:

Gomez: my rapid Liverpool FC rise, learning from Brendan Rodgers, and the long term aim to play centre back - Liverpool Echo

Watched the first hour of the U-21 game until Southgate went nuts with 9 changes, and he did ok considering the step up. A little nervous, but grew into the RB role. As he notes, it's giving him great perspective playing FB of other defensive roles within a scheme. (Ibe also looked a lot better with confidence and running at and beating people. Would imagine both will start the qualifier Monday.). 

Can't speak highly enough about #12. Not seen anyone look this composed stepping up like this since Robbie Jones. He keeps on progressing at this rate, and both ourselves and England will have an absolute stud back there for years to come. 

Be REAL interesting to see who Van Gaal puts on his side as with Clyne on the other, we finally have two solid as FB's again who can actually defend. And defend well.

Hail. 

• Like 1

So I'm playing FIFA 14 yesterday... I'm in like 2018 now.  Started with York City, brought them up to the PL and then was hired by LFC.  Won the PL in my first year Real offer me $45 mil for Coutinho... I jokingly counter ith 150 mil and they decided to match.  I was so pissed.  Then United buy Henderson for $25 mil.  So immediately I go out with that money and buy Pogba, Rues, and Kovacic.  On the bench I still have Can and Milner.  I have Benteke, Leandrinho, and Firmino in my attacking third.

Should be an interesting season with that.  Might be a lot of long range shots.

So I'm playing FIFA 14 yesterday... I'm in like 2018 now.  Started with York City, brought them up to the PL and then was hired by LFC.  Won the PL in my first year Real offer me $45 mil for Coutinho... I jokingly counter ith 150 mil and they decided to match.  I was so pissed.  Then United buy Henderson for $25 mil.  So immediately I go out with that money and buy Pogba, Rues, and Kovacic.  On the bench I still have Can and Milner.  I have Benteke, Leandrinho, and Firmino in my attacking third.

Should be an interesting season with that.  Might be a lot of long range shots.

Who the F is 'Leandrinho?' Regen?

Hail. 

Having just watched an absolutely abysmal Belgium performance against Cyprus (just like the WC, they are a collection of egotistical individuals and not a team. They're the new Holland. They aren't winning diddly-squat under Wilmots), where they struggled to a late 1-0 win; both out strikers played a half and both barely touched the ball. 

Benteke better up his game MASSIVELY for Saturday.

Hail. 

I'd personally be looking to integrate him into the squad to take over from Schweinsteiger (who I thought looked a step slow again yesterday); to ultimately be in that role alongside Kroos. He just needs more experience and more discipline to hold his position that will come with that as he's more a natural box-to-box midfielder right now. 

I don't know what Low is or is not going to do, but he got Cam on the field to gain experience, gain play time with the starters and to see what kind of player he has.  Schweinsteiger is getting old for international play, and I am sure Low knows that, but you have a player that has played for you for years, and it is hard to just cut the guy and be rid of them.  Schweinie will eventually be replaced, maybe after the tournament next summer.  I don't see him next world cup besides as a sub.  Getting Cam on the field now gives Low a chance to view him first hand and find a place for him in the starting 11.  Also, Hector, who started on the left, wasn't even on the world cup roster.  So, Low is finding his players, his best 11.

Obviously, have to wait and see, but I am going to assume Low will find the right place for Cam in time.

Edit:  To add, I see him as an upgrade over Khedira and Kramer, but again, guy played one game.  Time will tell.  And, for you bellow.

CONiPXhWEAAsFm5.jpg

Edited by Fred Jones

#12 (RB again) and Ibe starting the qualifier. 

This will now be the second England U-21 game I've watched in 5 days. Me. Watching England. 

That's the magical power of the man, the myth, the living LEG-END Joe freaking Gomez! y'all!  :D.

Hail. 

*Edit* Finished 1-0 England again. Both had decent second games at this level. Joe was solid defensively. Caught out of position once or twice but for the youngest player on the pitch not called Odegaard (first time I've seen him BTW. Technically brilliant and very strong for a 16 year old. Certainly held his own) he had a solid game. Ibe did what he does best. Running at people and committing them. Went on a great length of the field run beating 4 or 5 that ended with him cutting in and just putting his shot inches wide with the 'keeper wrong footed. 

REAL impressed by the Southampton LB Matt Targett both games BTW. He's another gem out of their academy. 

Onto Emre Can getting his second successive start for Germany against Scotland now. Again at RB.

Mixed night again for Can. Great going forward. Not so great defensively. Needless foul that lead to Scotland's first equaliser. Good shot saved that Muller got the rebound from to put Germany back in front at 2-1. He get's away with it in the German system with the DM's dropping in and the CB covering. But he's not a RB in any way, shape or form. 

That said, he's found a way into the World Champions starting XI so all credit to the young man for that and long may it continue for his development into what we all hope he will be for a long time to come.

So Bordeaux next Thursday is £13. ($19/ €17.). 

Compare that to this Saturday at United. (£45.<$69/ €61.). Which is cheap for what we normally have to pay. (City for example is £58 <$89/ €79>, with Arsenal and Chelsea both topping £60.). Or even £20 ($30/ €27) for a Kop ticket for Carlisle. 

We SERIOUSLY don't realise what power we could have as fans over this if we all stuck together. 

Instead, we follow like sheep and get fleeced to the nines. 

Disgraceful. So spare a thought for the paying customer next time NBC or FOX are promoting the super duper Premier League. 

And can the scumbag L'pool 'fans' (term used VERY loosely) who forced Joe Gomez to take down a tweet congratulating Rooney on breaking the English National team scoring record please take their low life ass' and **** off to some other club. 

Thank you. 

Hail. 

If anyones interested, here's an excellent pre-match discussion between 3 Scouser's from 'The Redmen TV' and a United lad from one of their fan channels, covering just what the game means to both clubs and just how big it still is and always will be (in case anyone is still in ANY doubt); the pros and cons of both sides, poor state of both clubs currently to what they should be, and views on the match in general. 

Interesting POV from the United fan over Van Gaal and DDG and whether he'll play or not too.

​Even at a truncated 37 minutes (subscription channel after all), good watch. 

If anyones interested, here's an excellent pre-match discussion between 3 Scouser's from 'The Redmen TV' and a United lad from one of their fan channels, covering just what the game means to both clubs and just how big it still is and always will be (in case anyone is still in ANY doubt); the pros and cons of both sides, poor state of both clubs currently to what they should be, and views on the match in general. 

Interesting POV from the United fan over Van Gaal and DDG and whether he'll play or not too.

I'll save all you the time and effort with this summary:

Pool supporter 1:  We're gonna run hard and fast all game.

Pool supporter 2:  We're gonna run fast and hard all game.

Pool supporter 3:  I don't care, I'm drunk.

rest of 35 minutes:  "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

Yeah. Come back when yers not raped and pillaged a league. -)

Hail.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the ringing of all the silverware in the trophy case.   :D

Any idea where that Suarez money went????  ;)

Seriously though, if given the choice, I'd take a Pool win and a Bayern loss this weekend over a Bayern win and a Pool loss.

• Like 1

on friday mornings, our school's chapel service is contemplative-- moments of silence before and after a student performance. this morning, of all fridays, a young lady stepped up and absolutely killed "you'll never walk alone." the choir teacher, the voice instructor, and the young lady were all absolutely clueless that YNWA is liverpool's anthem or that they were playing man u tomorrow.

an awesome way to start a friday! i'm going to request fields of anfield road on january 15...

• Like 3

on friday mornings, our school's chapel service is contemplative-- moments of silence before and after a student performance. this morning, of all fridays, a young lady stepped up and absolutely killed "you'll never walk alone." the choir teacher, the voice instructor, and the young lady were all absolutely clueless that YNWA is liverpool's anthem or that they were playing man u tomorrow.

an awesome way to start a friday! i'm going to request fields of anfield road on january 15...

It's a sign!

A small and grasping one I admit, but I'll take all we can get tomorrow and cling to it with dear life. 

God bless that super smart student at dc's school.   :).

Hail.