Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

As for the game ......

Didn't quite end up how we all so craved huh? I could jump on Karius but **** happens and he's been a part through all 15 games this season of reaching the pinnacle game in football so I'm not going to jump on him. He's had enough from absolute, low life knobheads all over social media who aren't worth wasting our time on. We win as a team. We lose as a team. Not going to pick out individuals. I genuinely think we have a cracking chance of winning that if that horrible, snidey ****house Ramos doesn't do Salah. But as soon as he did, with little on the bench to compensate, we dropped deeper, had no out ball with Bobby isolated, and, more pertinently, it freed up Marcelo from any defensive responsibility. Madrid ultimately deserved the win. Just frustrating that they never achieved that by out-footballing us with sparkling play. To get beat handing it to them is just frustrating. But when they can bring £90 million pound footballer's off the bench who probably won't even be there next year and you're down to the bare bones of an already depleted squad (God what a difference Oxo-Chambo would have made there. Sighs); then that, and Madrid's vast experience on the biggest stage of all, is ultimately what gave them a deserved 13th title. 

It's been amusing reading opposition fans saying it's been a worthless season as we won nothing again. Presumably, fans that never go to a game in their lives and spout nonsense from behind a screen. I've just come off 5 fabulous days away at another European Cup Final. Off the back of a stupendous ride that's taken me through Germany, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal, Manchester (hardly a glamorous trip haha but still), Italy, Poland, Ukraine and Poland again. All with some boss mates following a boss football club that just keeps on doing this like no other in England. Not a bad way to see the World is it? The memories from that group of players through this brilliant European campaign will last a lifetime. They've gone out and scared the heck out of the rest of Europe with how they've performed this year and they're only going to get better with another season's development under Klopp under their belts. This is just the start under the German Meister. If all these 'fans' want to do is measure their enjoyment of football by the ultimate end result and think Liverpool have failed this season as they fell at the final hurdle and finished trophyless then I can but pity them. They'll never have the sense of pride and wellbeing in their clubs that Liverpudlians have in our own.

*Sidenote- Thought we had a superb crowd in Kiev. Not talking about taking over 2/3rds of the ground with wonderfully inventive banners and partying all weekend. I know I'd be envious looking from the outside in of the fan experience of Liverpudlians. I don't mind being big headed in saying NOBODY does Europe like us. It's just what we do. But I'm more talking the reaction to the defeat which in the past has been wholly different. A large percentage stayed behind to not only applaud Madrid on the win but to recognise and thank Liverpool for a marvellous journey this European season. Which they RICHLY deserved. Karius, as fuming as no doubt many were at him, got a great reception when he came around, tear-strewn. As did Henry and his misses. Which fly's against the anti-FSG rhetoric from many. THAT'S how you handle the biggest defeat of all. 

Superb effort Redmen. You've had a season most every other club in Europe bar one will be envious of. And it's no disgrace at all to lose to just fall short against them. Excessively proud of every last one of you. And things are only going to keep getting better and better as you're the one side on the trajectory to really give Pep a run for his money going forward. 

Roll on next years group stage draw and another magical mystery tour through Europe next season.

Up the Dua Lipa Reds!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1

Zidane stepping down at RM.  He's done it right...waltz into the greatest job the in the world, win three consecutive champions league with the best squad possible, and leave on a high note.  He will get an astronomical fee wherever he decides to go next.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Pep just needs to spend 100 million more for a productive offseason.

I get why he was named manager of the season, but really it should've been Sean Dyche (as much as that pains me to say).  Rafa Benitez or Roy Hodgson could merit a discussion as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, been crazy mad busy. 

Presume you're referring to coloured people. No, outside of those that travelled, I honestly don't think I saw a black face in Gdansk, Kiev or Wroclaw. Or maybe I was just in the wrong places? Regardless, I'm personally missing Kiev already. :(

Hail. 

I'm Jewish, and as a teenager in my home country we were always warned about tucking the star of David chain (wouldn't wear one  anywhere if you paid me)in your shirt if you travel to eastern Europe. Not like Jewish mothers to blow things out of proportion (couldn't even type that sentence with a straight face)

Edited by Berggy9598

33 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I'm Jewish, and as a teenager in my home country we were always warned about tucking the star of David chain (wouldn't wear one  anywhere if you paid me)in your shirt if you travel to eastern Europe. Not like Jewish mothers to blow things out of proportion (couldn't even type that sentence with a straight face)

There's a gorgeous, if utterly mad, orthodox cathedral the centre in Kiev. 

But as all I did was took some photies the outside I wouldn't like to speak of which orthodoxy it pertains to. 

Hail. 

On 29/05/2018 at 6:52 AM, FrFan said:

W39tqBW.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party on our first signing of the summer but for anyone interested .....

So, after landing at Doncaster at half 9 Monday evening (don't ask. Good, cheap route home), and everyone's moby's going mad when they were switched back on with the breaking news that hour that Fabinho had signed, after the initial, excited surprise picking everyone up after the frustrating disappointment of last Saturday evening, the next question was 'who?' from virtually every Red on the plane. Myself pretty much included. I knew of him. Mainly remembering the Monaco owner and manager steadfastly refusing to sell him at any coast whilst every other member of the squad was available for the right price it seemed last summer. But I honestly had little idea of how good or what sort of a player he was having never watched him.

So, after reading what a boss signing L'pool had made from most everyone, opposition fans included, curiosity got the better of me. Not least as I never in a million years thought Klopp would sign someone who I was reading was an ostensive DM. And I spent the last two nights rewatching Monaco's last 16 CL game against Pep's City from 2016-17. *Sidenote- Hard to find now on the net but 2 brilliant games of pure, attacking football from both sides. 

Seemed as good a tie to as any to gauge him on the biggest stage of all against one of the best sides in World football at present to see if the hype stacked up .....

..... NOW I see why he's been so highly coveted by so many major clubs! This lad is a really, really good footballer. The ideal combination of ability and athleticism with super football intelligence to make him the perfect fit for how Klopp's L'pool view the #6 role. He was up against a midfield of Toure/ Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Silva, and a front three of Sané, 
Augero and Sterling those two games and was the best player of any of them the park both games. Particularly the second game in Monaco. He played alongside Bakayoko in a deeper 2 at City. And was the deepest midfielder at home with Bakayoko a little more advanced. Scoring 1 and assisting 2 of Monaco's 6 goals over the two games. Not only is he strong and quick, but he's technically great as well as you'd expect from a Brazilian with great touch and passing range. Everything good Monaco did (and they did a LOT of good) most all started from him as he dictated the pace of their play. He get's forward and supports the attack well (he's a noteable web on him from distance), but it's at the other end he excels. Taking up some superb defensive position's and cleanly tackling anyone trying to go past him. Starting out as a RB seems to have given him a real good appreciation of others positions as he was consistently filling in and covering when Sidibé bombed on down the right or one of the CH's or other midfielder pushed up. 

I've watched a lot of Napoli this past year. Heck of an exciting side to watch. But mainly for another Brazilian in a similar role. Jorginho. Who it turns out L'pool used as a complete smokescreen for Fabinho who by all accounts they've been working on all season long on the quiet. And as great a player as Jorginho is, and as made up as I'd have been with him, I think for ourselves and what we need, we're getting the better player here down to his better tackling/ physicality. (He's 6'2 compared to the soon to be City guy at 5'11. And it shows.). Plus he's a couple of years Jorginho's junior too for a very similar price. City 
are (soon to be) getting an excellent addition who's the perfect fit for them. Whilst we're getting an excellent addition who's the perfect fit for us and who'll compliment Naby, Fekir and co as we take this on to the next level. 

Love the fact he was Monaco's vice-captain too which speaks highly of him. Their most important player and a real leader at 24. Along with his almost flawless penalty record. The more opportunity's for goals from midfield the better. 

Kudos to Edwards for another superb piece of business of a highly sought after player conducted in stealth like brilliance. Him not being in the Brazilian squad the WC is just the icing on the cake to get a full, proper pre-season in. 

Seriously excited having watched him dominate City in Europe. A proper defensive #6 who can't half play with it. 

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

what's everyone's take on the keepers being shopped this window? 

My preference for Liverpool would be:  Oblak>>Allison>>Donnarumma>>Courtois>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Butland (is he really much of an upgrade over what liverpool already have?)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dchogs said:

My preference for Liverpool would be:  Oblak>>Allison>>Donnarumma>>Courtois>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Butland (is he really much of an upgrade over what liverpool already have?)

In for the best of the best. All or nothing! 

7 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Zidane stepping down at RM.  He's done it right...waltz into the greatest job the in the world, win three consecutive champions league with the best squad possible, and leave on a high note.  He will get an astronomical fee wherever he decides to go next.

'Is Madrid anywhere near Benidorm and how do you say 'More gravy' in Spanish?'

46D0637100000578-5128801-image-a-2_15119

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dchogs said:

Fabinho, Fekir and Pulisic will be one HELL of a window by themselves. 

If we add Oblak or Allison ..... Watch out World! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

On 31/5/2018 at 2:03 PM, SkinssRvA said:

I doubt it, I can be wrong but I think he won't coach another club because he knows he could be Guardiola 2.0, his next move : team France.

Edit : Deschamps is signed until 2020.

Edited by FrFan

17 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I doubt it, I can be wrong but I think he won't coach another club because he knows he'll be Guardiola 2.0, his next move : team France.

CL medal as player and manager

League medals as player and manager

WC and Euro medals as player and _________

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Long time no see around us here, what's up ?

Just been waiting to get rid of Arsene. He lost the squad 2 years ago, but no one had the balls to show him out. 

But apart from that, this thread has pretty much become a liverpool thread. Nothing wrong with that. I just have nothing to contribute on the topic. 

I popped in just to see what was Zidane related. Outside my family he's like my favorite human. 

On 5/31/2018 at 3:11 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

In for the best of the best. All or nothing! 

I’m with you. No problems with spending £80 million on Oblak, as I believe he’s neck and neck with DeGea as world’s best now.

Lot of $$, but not if it locks down the position for a decade.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This Sat'day has been ****e compared to last Sat'day. 

No Dua Lipa. No party! 

Hail. 

Well, Fekir’s best mate tweeted a pic of Nabil in a LFC shirt, saying it’ll be announced after the WC. So there is that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Well, Fekir’s best mate tweeted a pic of Nabil in a LFC shirt, saying it’ll be announced after the WC. So there is that.

FWIW: 

#Fekir et son agent Jean-Pierre #Bernès devraient être ce dimanche 03/06/2018 à #Liverpool pour régler les derniers détails du transfert de l'international français. Si tout va bien, visite médicale dans la foulée ! #LFC

Embedded

Google translation:

#Fekir and his agent Jean-Pierre # Bernès should be this Sunday 03/06/2018 at #Liverpool to settle the last details of the transfer of the French international. If all goes well, medical visit in the wake! #LFC

Hail. 

• Thanks 2

I think (and hope) United have actually made a very good signing here. It's a little bittersweet for me being a huge Ander Herrera supporter but Fred is probably an upgrade when it comes to his attacking contribution. Quick with his feet and his brain in tight spaces and can carry the ball forward very well. My favorite thing about him is how quickly he spots those probing passes in between the lines that lead to attacking opportunities, and he's a very good passer of the ball to boot. Perfect option next to a more static deep lying playmaker like Magic too. Made the Brazil world cup squad playing in the Ukranian league. 

Just read an article on ESPN saying that Karius had a concussion after getting hit by Ramos, could explain his awful blunders. I still think the first one was just a mind blowingly stupid mistake, but the second one could very well be due to the concussion and trying to track the ball. But if he wasnt thinking clearly perhaps the first one as well.