Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

29 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Why they can have Sam allerdyce for half the money and play the exact same football. 

Someone sounds a tad bitter.

On another note, Frankfurt takes down Bayern in the Pokal final, wow! Kovac showing his future employer just what their getting.

3 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Someone sounds a tad bitter.

On another note, Frankfurt takes down Bayern in the Pokal final, wow! Kovac showing his future employer just what their getting.

Bitter? No, I've been a Man Utd fan since 1990. In the words of One Republic, please tell me what there's to complain about. I just thought it was ironic that it was a forgone conclusion that United would play a certain way and Chelsea ended up the ones pulling off a smash and grab. 

5 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Bitter? No, I've been a Man Utd fan since 1990. In the words of One Republic, please tell me what there's to complain about. I just thought it was ironic that it was a forgone conclusion that United would play a certain way and Chelsea ended up the ones pulling off a smash and grab. 

Just fortunate there was an early goal or else there’d doubtless have been another 30 minutes more of absolute teadium. At least Utd had to try come out second half after the abject first. 

Nottin’ more to be expected from those two managers than a snoozefest and it delivered. 

Something devilishly ironic in Mourinho being Mourinhoed.

Hail.

I posted this earlier but I guess it got lost n the ether...

Today is Iniesta's last game in a Barca shirt. End of an era.

Real Sociedad gave a guard of honor which I THINK was for him, though I'm not 100% sure because the game is only on in Spanish. Nice gesture.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Just fortunate there was an early goal or else there’d doubtless have been another 30 minutes more of absolute teadium. At least Utd had to try come out second half after the abject first. 

Nottin’ more to be expected from those two managers than a snoozefest and it delivered. 

Something devilishly ironic in Mourinho being Mourinhoed.

Hail.

You'd think Mourinho would use his deep familiarity with a team that can't wait to get away from their manager to his advantage. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, I read that last night, after all the celebrations and the presentation of the La Liga trophy (which might have been the reason for the Guard of Honor, not Iniesta per se, again Spanish), and the tributes to Iniesta, they cleared out the whole stadium and he stayed behind and just walked around barefoot and sat in the grass.

Such a bittersweet moment, but I think he's making the right call. It's always so hard to see the greats diminished, and although he is still fantastic, you could start to see time was catching up with him this year. Better to go out on top.

And of course, I'm sure 35 million Euros a year from a team in China doesn't hurt either. :ols: 

But wow... the feels were strong in this one, seeing him crying on the bench as fans sang to him, all the players hugging him as he was subbing off for the last time (Messi especially clinging like he didn't want to let go), Xavi in the stands looking so solemn...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Along with Xavi and Xabi Alonso, Iniesta has been one of the three best passers of a football the World over for the past two decades IMHO. 

Absolute living LEG-END! Made up he's in the Spain squad for one last hurrah the WC. 

Just hope he doesn't take up Pep's offer to join his staff. 

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

:table2:

Party and a half this weekend in Frankfurt. Place must have been drunk dry. 

Almost as good as Kiev and L'pool will be next weekend. 

Almost. ;)

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll preface this by saying I FIRMLY believe we'll be sat here this time next week basking in the best thing possible for a football fan. The euphoric glow of being European Champions .....

..... But 
yanno', it really wouldn't take that much of a shine off this awesomely brilliant season if Real did beat us. At least speaking personally for me. This year has already been a major success with the massive strides forward again. All the scintillating attacking football that just has you not being able to wait to go the next game. The togetherness of players and supporters. All harnassed by one very special man bringing it all together. The memories we've been left with, not least in Europe and some of the very best Anfield nights in our illustrious history. The whole gambit. It's been a wonderful experience on this journey with these lads through this season. Good and bad. And even in a worse case scenario where we did get beat, we've made Europe SERIOUSLY sit up and take notice of one of her marquee football clubs again as we've returned in spectacular style to her top table to contest the biggest prize of all. Together with already having sewn up 6 more games at the least in next seasons competition as they battled key injury loses on a thin squad to superbly marry up a CL league season along with this magnificent, record-breaking run to Kiev.

How could you possibly be mad at them if it fell short at the hands of one of only two clubs in UEFA lore we look up to? The team going for a treble of consecutive European big ones? Disappointing. No doubt. But annoyed and P at them? They've done us WAY too proud this year and left us with priceless memories that will last a lifetime to feel that. Setting themselves up to take the next step forward next year as we continue to build this the right way. 

That's football supporting in a nutshell for me. Moments and memories. Naturally, you want to win every trophy going too. But that's the bonus to it all. It's the memories built along the way. The excitement of being at the match and being entertained with heart thumping, exhilarating football. Anfield back rocking as only she can under the European lights. (How many other sets of fans look back on games in Europe and talk about the crowd and atmosphere before the game like we can/ do? The Chelsea semi in '05. 13 years on and the first thing you say when that comes up isn't the game and Luis' 'ghost' goal. It's 'What an awesomely loud, mad night that was on the Kop!'). Topped off with going to yet another European Cup final. Memories and moments that live with you forever and these lads keep delivering in spades. 

All that said, it would just be impolite to not win it now we're here like. 
;)

Been TOO long since we've been able to belt out what we'll be again next Saturday evening .....

'Campione, Campione, Campione Liv-er-pool!'

Hail.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Jürgens CL Final presser from earlier. 

Seriously. That man ..... ' ..... I think really if you have Wikipedia or Google and put in European Night's must be the answer 'Anfield'.... '

Just gone at that. Completely makes you feel like he just spoke directly to you and personally thanked you.

Which just completely emphasises the thing that shines through in 
most every interview. 'Togetherness.' Not least rekindling that special bond between fans and players to an extent I've not known in my lifetime. Being too young to fully remember and appreciate Shankly. They genuinely do feel apart of us and us them. The cornerstone of what all our great sides were built on. Shanks 'Holy Trinity'- Fans, Players, Manager. Together, as one, we'll take on the bloody World and not be beaten! 

Nowhere was this more hammered home than the 
celebration the final whistle Rome to me. 

Honestly, when was the last time you saw such a togetherness between fans and players. Like, ANYWHERE? The way they were belting out 'Allez, Allez, Allez' and all loving joining in singing and clapping. The way Sadio said 'F this!' and broke through the security line to celebrate with us. Followed by the rest of the players who went 'Is F rite lad!' The way the Captain's (
yanno', that lad who isn't good enough to be here and doesn't understand the L'pool way) first thought was to make a beeline straight for the Sean Cox banner asking if he could borrow it to have the players remember our fallen compadre unable to be there. The way young Trent and Ben were filming it on their moby's. Absolutely in awe at the connection between supporters and players that sets this football club apart .....

..... And then, after some of the longest celebrations of a none-final win I've ever seen, with them all back the 
changies and everything quiet again save for two mad mini-footies being launched up and down the away section, out comes our mad btard manager who embodies EVERYTHING that this City and football club is all about and who's brought back that togetherness in spectacular style again; charging down to celebrate personally with his people. Fist pumping away and topping off the most memorable of nights perfectly. 

That magnificent night in Rome just encapsulated Klopp's Liverpool and all the values we stand for. He's building something exceptionally special here that's going way beyond one-off season success. Our cycle is coming around again.

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

Harry Kane, some time footballer, full-time Olympic standard diver, ALL about 'ME' and NOT the 'team', without a leadership bone in his body, and all around moaning gob****e, is the England captain for the WC. 

The joke of an organisation that the FA is in a nutshell ..... 'SO sorry we tweeted a joke about you Sir Harry. How can we make it up to you? You know you're our number 1 guy!'

Although that said, maybe as Captain he can just claim everyone else's goals straight up instead of sinking to the pathetic depths of swearing on his daughter's life? (Whilst lying through his gormless looking grid.).

Hail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As if this gang of CL record-breaking Reds this season ..... Sorry, 'mentally weak no-hoppers', needed ANY more motivation:

Why Everyone in Madrid Is so Confident Real Will Beat 'Mentally Weak' Liverpool | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

These arrogant, t-shirt wearing F won't know what's hit them when Jürgen's Red Army tips up Sat'day Kiev!

Hail. 

• Like 1