Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Liverpool are safe as long as Chelsea don't score a million more goals.  Our hope is Tottenham losing a game here at the end.  Haven't pulled for Rafa in a long time...

actually just kidding i think pool have to win next game?  

Edited by SkinssRvA

22 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Liverpool are safe as long as Chelsea don't score a million more goals.  Our hope is Tottenham losing a game here at the end.  Haven't pulled for Rafa in a long time...

If Chelsea win out, Liverpool needs to win v Brighton.  If Chelsea draws one game, Liverpool can draw.  If Chelsea lose a game, Liverpool is set now. 

I think. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dchogs said:

If Chelsea win out, Liverpool needs to win v Brighton.  If Chelsea draws one game, Liverpool can draw.  If Chelsea lose a game, Liverpool is set now. 

I think. 

Yep forgot Liverpool is a game up. A win and they are good. Anything else and it’s game on 

Edited by SkinssRvA
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dchogs said:

rest up, reds!  there's a game (and Europe) to win next week.  followed by a longer rest before a game (and ALL OF EUROPE) to win two weeks following!

LINE!

As mildly irritating as yesterday was as it was against them (with the safeguard of a safe Brighton, with their second worst away record the league, to fall back on at home), it's hard to be pissed at a team one game away from having the best season of any side in Europe this year. 

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

20 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Doesn't matter they're going to kick some galacticos' asses ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For all the, rightly, bad press the Roma Ultras have gotten after the gutless, premeditated attack at Anfield the first leg from which an innocent family man is still fighting for his life, this is a real heartwarming story from the many real good people in the Eternal City.

Great read: 

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/05/liverpool-and-as-roma-divided-by-history-united-in-supporting-sean-cox/

BRILLIANT gesture and genuine, 
heartfelt feeling from Angelo Consoli and the people/ Council of Rome. 

It's easy to forget that the 
Ultra's are just a small minority of Roma's following and the vast majority of Roman's are decent people just supporting their team. For all the natural apprehension prior to the game (this wasn't my first Rome rodeo and what happened to Sean the first leg just heightened what had gone before), I can't speak highly enough of the organisation from the Italian authorities this time around in ensuring our safety. They totally boxed off Rome and the main place they had us meeting for the busses up the ground. The only criticism would be the carnage getting in which took well over an hour outside down to scanners not working and the same checks and searches you'd just had 15 yards before. They still aren't set up to deal with large numbers arriving all at once. 

I even think they purposefully lied about where we'd be dropped off the park after the match as a decoy to send the Ultra's one way whilst they bussed us straight back into town to the main railway station the centre. Which was perfect for us as our hotel was just around the corner and we'd organised a small bar/ pizzeria to stay open knowing e probably wouldn't be back until 1/2 AM ..... Leaving there at 7 AM when 
you've a train to catch a little over 2 hours later probably wasn't the best idea haha. But hey, getting to European Cup finals don't come around every year so you relish and celebrate every one like it's the last. The owner and staff were all Roma fans but they couldn't have been friendlier in the disappointment of their defeat and were sending out free pizzas to go along with the ale and vino being heartily consumed with his place full of merry Scousers. He was even begging to buy one of the boys flags to have on his wall and loved having his picture taken in front of it haha. Which was the theme of the afternoon in Rome. People couldn't have been friendlier when you went in somewhere and they found you were from L'pool. 

A TOTALLY different picture from the pre-trip media sensationalist lies of 1,000 Scouse hoolies descending on Rome to rape, pillage and have it with anyone in their path. (Believe we had one arrest in Rome from someone the worse for wear through drink to go along with zero football-related arrests in Europe this year. Which surprises me on Seville, in particular, the abuse we got from their bizzies outside that ground. Way to do some investigative journalism before you put out the scaremongering sensationalism. Dickheads!).

One of the highlights of the night for me, was seeing Henderson come over and take the Sean Cox banner from the crowd in the awesomely mad celebrations after the final whistle and have the whole team honouring him with it. Classy, superb move from Jordan. But he's not a 'captain' and 'doesn't get Liverpool' as the (WHOLLY wrong) narrative goes .....

A terrible shame what happened at Anfield to Sean underpinned the whole semi-final. But I can attest to there being genuine, heartfelt shame and sadness from the majority in Rome at the continued antics of the minority that shame them all. 

Here's praying that Sean makes a jump the next three weeks and can at least watch the final with his family where he belongs. He's in a lot of peoples minds, not least the manager and players who'd openly like nothing better than to win this one for him.

Hail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Starting to see some of the rumors about the summer coming out.

Fehkir is an absolute must have, for me.  Talk about someone perfect for our style of play.

Get by with Maddison or Neves.  Fine with either.

Pulisic is meh, for me.  I'd rather have both of Neves or Maddison.  I think Ojo or Ben will be able to play in the front next season and they'll be ready.  If would be very good for the MNT but if he wants to **** around and go to play for Jose I'm all for his wishes, lol.  That's on him.

Slide Joe over to CB, hopefully sessignon is available though I think that's a pipe dream at the minute.

Find a keeper and buy him.  I'm happy with Karius, but I'll make my final decision by how the final goes.  I think we can get to Real but the problem will be that Kaylor Navas is tremendous.  Really it was him keeping Bayern out especially the last 20 mins.  I'm not sure Loris does that for us but maybe.

7 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

They totally boxed off Rome and the main place they had us meeting for the busses up the ground.

For El Clasico, Barca's team bus was refused entry and they had to back out and try again.

This led to Phil Schoen (I think?) remarking that Barca just doesn't know how to park the bus.

Edited by techboy
  • Haha 1

Just now, SkinInsite said:

Pulisic would be more about marketing for FSG, America's golden boy is going to sell alot of jerseys. 

I'm not sure we've ever been about marketing... Certainly not right now.  You don't do that type of thing when you're a money ball team.

That's for the United's of the world (cc: Paul Pogba move)

13 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Pulisic would be more about marketing for FSG, America's golden boy is going to sell alot of jerseys. 

See the Bild story the other day?

Telling yer. Honesty believe they think they have him after all the groundwork they've put in the last few years with him and his father. 

20 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I spent a good part of a very drunken night with yer 'mate' Tony Evo in Bologna Tuesday who came and found us. 

Top, top fella' him. It just gets pricey when yers out with him haha. 

Seriously need to pick up his new book on '86. 

Hail. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

See the Bild story the other day?

Telling yer. Honesty believe they think they have him after all the groundwork they've put in the last few years with him and his father. 

Hail. 

Yeah 60 mil is steep since he's far from a finished product. Hell i'd be willing to loan him back for another year of development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, techboy said:

For El Clasico, Barca's team bus was refused entry and they had to back out and try again.

This led to Phil Schoen (I think?) remarking that Barca just doesn't know how to park the bus.

LOL. 

Not sure how Barcelona didn't win that. The European Cup final is fixing to be a madly entertaining high scoring one. 

Loved a tweet from Pique in response to Madrid not forming a guard of honour as Barca hadn't when Madrid won the Club World Cup as they hadn't participated in it. Went along the lines of 'Well, Madrid haven't participated in this season's La Liga ..... ' :rofl89:

Hail. 

19 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I spent a good part of a very drunken night with yer 'mate' Tony Evo in Bologna Tuesday who came and found us. 

Top, top fella' him. It just gets pricey when yers out with him haha. 

Seriously need to pick up his new book on '86. 

Hail. 

Ah good lad, Tony!  Haha.

We're keeping him well-served over here.  Hoping to see him in July.  We'll see how that goes with the new stadium opening up.  Still owe you and L and L an answer on that, but while I have a TON of free time with this new job I just don't know when that time will be until the week of.  I can't complain, though.

He certainly is a midnight Cowboy.  Even more so now that we're in the same time zone.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Measure of the man that his first words are about Ferguson. Brilliant gesture from the club giving him the gold PL replica too. 

Feels like the end of an era in many ways. I mean he had to go. Probably should have done a few years back for the benefit of the club. But no denying what part he played in dragging the English game, let alone Arsenal FC, kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Genuine PL legend. 

The less said about (many)  of the two-faced Arsenal fans yesterday after all the abuse he's gotten the last few years the better. 

Hail. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

More money is always good though, given we are giving massive wage raises to the front three.

Did you see Kloppo after the Chelsea match when they said we'd agreed for Fekir and Dembele during the match?

That was hilarious.

Those are the moves you're going to see.  Unfinished products with potential, though Fekir is about as close to Phil as you're going to get, with pace I might add, and he's about that age.  But youngins without bad habits who can handle the ball and love the game.  It's that simple for Klopp.  That's who he picks out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Did you see Kloppo after the Chelsea match .....

Related aside but I totally wasn't arsed yesterday. Just enjoyed a relaxed day the sun winding the plastic ****s up over L'pool being in yet another European Cup final. 

No secret that I I hate Chelsea with a passion. (Everton and Utd are positively favourable in comparison personally.). But with the safeguard of an already safe Brighton, with their second worst away record and lowest away goals scored all year (a whopping NINE) to come at home; I really wasn't that arsed what happened yesterday still being on the massive high of what happened in Rome and going to yet another European Cup final. It was more frustrating than annoying. 

Hard to get mad right now with these lads and all they've achieved this year and the boss entertainment and memories they've given us. 

We'll be sound next Sunday. And then we're a game away from another European Cup and having the best season of any side across Europe this year. 

Doesn't get ANY better than that.

Hail. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Starting to see some of the rumors about the summer coming out.

Fehkir is an absolute must have, for me.  Talk about someone perfect for our style of play.

Get by with Maddison or Neves.  Fine with either.

Pulisic is meh, for me.  I'd rather have both of Neves or Maddison.  I think Ojo or Ben will be able to play in the front next season and they'll be ready.  If would be very good for the MNT but if he wants to **** around and go to play for Jose I'm all for his wishes, lol.  That's on him.

Slide Joe over to CB, hopefully sessignon is available though I think that's a pipe dream at the minute.

Find a keeper and buy him.  I'm happy with Karius, but I'll make my final decision by how the final goes.  I think we can get to Real but the problem will be that Kaylor Navas is tremendous.  Really it was him keeping Bayern out especially the last 20 mins.  I'm not sure Loris does that for us but maybe.

We need 5/6 top class additions alongside Nabby if we want to be consistently challenging on all fronts come May every year. The first XI is a match for City. But the depth they can call on compared to ours ..... Really told the last month with the key injuries and lack of similar quality to come in. Mo and Bobby's legs have all but fallen off having to play every game. The two-week rest before Kiev is a Godsend. 

Personally, a top-notch goalie is imperative for me. Karius has looked a Worlds better since he's had a sustained run without fear of being binned for every mistake. But he still doesn't fill you with confidence and is still prone to stupid errors that will cost you over 38 games. Go splash the money on Alisson or the lad Atletico and box this off once and for all! Worries me the way Klopp's been talking Karius up lately. We know his loyalty to guys. 

Need to decide whether we roll the dice on Joe already to partner big Virge or go add someone. Lovren is sound as experienced depth but he never was the answer full-time. Defo need a top quality, play-making Klopp 6 with Henderson's continued foot problems. Jorginho preferably. And another top attacking midfielder wouldn't go amiss. The Monaco lad has never gone away and should be a heck of a lot cheaper now. Then add a Pulisic and/ or Fahkir as you said. Players that can comfortably play across the front three and allow Mo and Sadio to be rested without a drop-off. A veteran, reliable back-up would be nice to Bobby too. But finding one that fits what he does is another thing again. 

Then off-load what's left of the dead-wood. If the likes of Danny Ings are still here next season somethings gone BADLY wrong. 

Certain players can only take you so far. Then you need the next level up to get you to the next level up. We're at that stage now and can't have sentiment with lads that just aren't of the required quality to compete at the very top level. 

At least FSG have shown they aren't afraid to compete with anyone to back the manager who's repaying that faith in spades. And they sure as Hell have the money to go mad this summer with the added incentive of being European Champions again. I would say 'hopefully' but I've been telling you we were going Kiev for #6 since Hoffenheim. But does anyone ever listen to me ..... :P

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Put a couple Benjis on Argentina today at 9/1.

Hope that comes in for yer mate. Aguero be a big loss if he doesn't make it but that would be a real nice pick-up. 

Good luck! 

Hail. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Is rite! #6 is coming home! 

BTW, who's this lad at Lyon? Is he that good or is just that he looks that good in Ligue 1?

Hail. 

TRUST me.... that's the one I wanted in January.

He's the real deal.  Payet plus.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

LOL. 

Not sure how Barcelona didn't win that. The European Cup final is fixing to be a madly entertaining high scoring one. 

Loved a tweet from Pique in response to Madrid not forming a guard of honour as Barca hadn't when Madrid won the Club World Cup as they hadn't participated in it. Went along the lines of 'Well, Madrid haven't participated in this season's La Liga ..... ' :rofl89:

Hail. 

:ols: Pique is hilarious, and is either very witty or has a really good ghost writer. His pieces in the Player's Tribune have been pretty cool as well.

The Pasillo has been interesting to watch unfold. Maybe it's because I'm not fully steeped in hating Madrid (and therefore biased), but I actually think they have a point. I realize that technically the tradition may not apply to competitions the other team didn't participate in, but I know Barca got a Pasillo a few years ago after winning the Club World Cup, so it has been done.

I also think the whole thing has morphed from a gesture of respect to a humiliation. Most of the Barca fans I read are up in arms about it, but it's because they wanted to meme the whole thing, and now they get another chance to take a shot at "classless" Madrid, so maybe it's for the best for everyone.

So really, I don't think it'd be the end of the world if that died, though I don't really have much invested in it.

That being noted, Villareal is going to give Barca a Pasillo on Wednesday, anyway. http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2018/05/07/5af05a00e2704efb048b45e4.html

In terms of the match, that was quite intense for something where there was technically nothing on the line. I can see why many call it the biggest club rivalry in sports, and of course there's more to it than just sport. I was also suprisingly invested, and a bit hoarse afterwards.

The refereeing was terrible, and I think both sides could legitimately claim to have been done wrong, so maybe it evened out?

I mean, there was this from Bale in the first half: https://streamable.com/baho5, where he could have gotten a straight red, or at least a yellow (and he probably should have gotten a yellow a few other times).

And then Roberto DID get a straight red for this: https://streamja.com/A0Vd where he did hit Marcelo, but in the shoulder, with a kind of slap, at which point Marcelo fell like he had been shot and writhed on the ground holding his face, until the red card came out when he magically recovered. :ols:

And so Barca had to play a man down for a half, which was probably bad. They also had a goal waved off for a non-existent offside, and it could be argued that Bale shouldn't have been on to score in the first place. On the other hand, Marcelo was pulled down in the box with no penalty, and Messi's goal, which was a beauty, came after Suarez committed a foul to get the ball. 

Eh.

Draw was probably a good result for Barca, as it keeps the historic undefeated run alive.

Speaking of Navas, though, he was amazing and probably saved the game for Madrid, because even down a man, Messi was Messi'ing, and Navas stopped him cold including on a breakaway. My favorite bit was near the end (like at about 80 minutes), though, where game recognizes game. Messi had just embarrassed the Madrid defender, and got off an insane shot at a near impossible angle. It was going in, but Navas managed to get to it, and earned this: