Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Uh, what I was thinking, exactly, is, "We'll score another 5 against these defenses."

2 goals shy of the all-time CL record goals total for a single season. 

A ridiculous English record 44 through 13 games and counting. (3.38 Golas scored per game average.). 

Most goals scored in a season:

45 from 16 games (av. 2.81) FC Barcelona 1999/00
41 from 13 games (av. 3.15) Real Madrid CF 2013/14
36 from 13 games (av. 2.77) Real Madrid CF 2016/17 
35 from 12 games (av. 2.92) FC Barcelona 2011/12
35 from 12 games (av. 2.92) Real Madrid CF 2011/12 
35 from 16 games (av. 2.19) Real Madrid CF 2000/01 
35 from 17 games (av. 2.06) Real Madrid CF 1999/00
35 from 17 games (av. 2.06) Real Madrid CF 2001/02

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Uh, what I was thinking, exactly, is, "We'll score another 5 against these defenses."

Would struggle against both over two legs because of their experience...

Over 90 minutes we'll empty the full mag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why should we be surprised? The media and establishment have hated us for decades because we stand up to them and fight for ourselves and what's right. And they wonder why we don't consider ourselves English? 

The Daily Express. Another ****ing disgrace to journalism. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/incorrect-ignorant-offensive-newspaper-response-14579442#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_MessageShare

Hail. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The Daily Express. Another ****ing disgrace to journalism. 

This is something I've always found odd... Do you guys across the pond take tabloids more seriously then we do over here? 

I mean, you can pick up the National Inquirer or the Star at the checkout of the grocery store, or at least you used to be able to (I don't think I've seen them lately), but except for a couple of cases where they hit national prominence (breaking a story about John Edwards, or interfering and spiking a story about Trump), Americans kind of laugh at them and the people that read them.

By contrast, though, you guys seem to have a lot more of them and they seem to be a lot more popular.

I don't think anyone here would describe the Star as journalism, for example, or even notice what they publish.

No surprise that the ****house used to work for the S*n. But it's not just him. That's gone past a sub-editor and editor. The Press Association wants to do them all. 

And the rag wants
banning from Anfield.

Talking of low life ****houses .....

Remanded in custody for a month. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-italians-court-over-brutal-14578492#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_MessageShare

Let's hope they ****ed over whatever nick they get put in. Preferably they go local and stick them Walton. Scumbags.

Hail. 

41 minutes ago, techboy said:

This is something I've always found odd... Do you guys across the pond take tabloids more seriously then we do over here? 

Only your average lil' Englander who wouldn't know his arse from elbow. 

But they all voted to F the Country up further and take us out the biggest common trade market in the World so it comes as no surprise they gravitate to the lying, agenda filled POS most of the red tops are. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But they all voted to F the Country up further and take us out the biggest common trade market in the World so it comes as no surprise they gravitate to the lying, agenda filled POS most of the red tops are. 

Yeah, I decided to do a little reading myself since the exchange got me curious, and I found this from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/world/europe/london-tabloids-brexit.html

"To Understand ‘Brexit,’ Look to Britain’s Tabloids"

Interesting (and scary) stuff. I had no idea that Boris Johnson used to work in the field. 

Mr. Johnson, wild-haired and witty, became a chief architect of Brexit when, four months before the referendum, he threw his weight behind a cause until then most closely associated with the populist U.K. Independence Party. But his main contribution to Brexit may go back more than two decades.

A correspondent in Brussels for The Daily Telegraph in the early 1990s, Mr. Johnson was credited by fellow reporters with pioneering the euroskeptic coverage of the European Union that has since become the default setting for much of the British press. With little regard for the truth — he was previously fired by The Times of London for making up a quote — Mr. Johnson wrote about a Europe scheming to impose standard condom sizes and ban his country’s beloved prawn-****tail-flavored chips (both untrue).

“Boris invented fake news,” said Martin Fletcher, a former foreign editor of The Times, who was in Brussels shortly after Mr. Johnson. “He turned euroskepticism into an art form that every news editor in London came to expect.”

Before the referendum, Mr. Fletcher added, “Boris campaigned against the cartoon caricature of Brussels that he himself invented.”

In the US, the British media we're mostly exposed to is the BBC, and broadsheets like the Guardian.

Funny story... my wife does Scottish Dance with a local branch of the RSCD, and one of the longtime members was a writer for the Guardian who was here covering the Obama Administration.

She didn't think much of it until she was watching PBS Frontline one day, the episode about Snowden, and they have reporters talking about how they went to meet Snowden, and what it was like, and she's like "Hey! I know that guy! That's Ewen!"

They won a Pullitzer, and she had no idea he was involved until she saw him on TV.  :ols:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/14/guardian-washington-post-pulitzer-nsa-revelations

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm probably the only one here who watched the CCL final last night but it was actually an entertaining game.

Too bad it came down to this. 

At this point, I'm not even surprised he missed.

(and **** you again Bruce Arena for not cap-tieing his replacement)

arsenal gonna arsenal

Edited by FanboyOf91
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

At this point, I'm not even surprised he missed.

Yeah, kind of a stamp on his career. Always been there...almost always chokes in the clutch.

Be interested to see the side Jurgy puts out tomorrow. Get 4 days rest till the Rome return, so I can see most of the first team getting the nod, since it is a pivotal game to assure top 4. Also, could see him trying some youngsters in the mid to give Milly and Hendo a break. Whatever you do Jurgy, PLEASE NO ALBY!...unless he's in the mid.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Yeah, kind of a stamp on his career. Always been there...almost always chokes in the clutch.

Be interested to see the side Jurgy puts out tomorrow. Get 4 days rest till the Rome return, so I can see most of the first team getting the nod, since it is a pivotal game to assure top 4. Also, could see him trying some youngsters in the mid to give Milly and Hendo a break. Whatever you do Jurgy, PLEASE NO ALBY!...unless he's in the mid.

We both have been less-than-thrilled with Bradley.  Ahead of just about everyone else, lol.  Probably had to do with being spoiled by Stevie, Alonso, and Mascherano all of those years.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno up front and Woodburn in the 11, either.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DC9 said:

We both have been less-than-thrilled with Bradley.  Ahead of just about everyone else, lol.  Probably had to do with being spoiled by Stevie, Alonso, and Mascherano all of those years.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno up front and Woodburn in the 11, either.

I wonder if he'll tweak the formation. If he sticks with the 4-3-3, I could see Clyne, Lovren, VVD, Robbo, Gini, Hendo, Alby, Woodburn, Bobby, Mo. Probably sit Ben a little deeper than Bobby and Mo. Get those two out early if they get a lead.

I meant to say, after the Mo brace!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I wonder if he'll tweak the formation. If he sticks with the 4-3-3, I could see Clyne, Lovren, VVD, Robbo, Gini, Hendo, Alby, Woodburn, Bobby, Mo. Probably sit Ben a little deeper than Bobby and Mo. Get those two out early if they get a lead.

Yeah Jurgen seems to like Ben in the 10/8 role that Phil played.  I know Wales plays him a little further up but he's kind of like Pulisic in that he can play a few different spots really well.  He also distributes as well as he scores and he has a high football IQ, which you tend to want a little further back in the attack.

• Like 1

As I'm up early and bored whilst it's quite .....

Yesterday's tedium ..... Starting with P poor officiating yet again. could and should have been down to 8/9 men. Salah was completely out of the game for a 20-minute spell trying to run off injury form one of them. But thankfully, for them, they had the absolute, incompetent bellend that is A. Mariner Esq.reffing the game. Aside from letting Stoke's continued assaults go all game, two of the most blatant penalty's you'll ever see not only turned down. But he was laughing at them as he did. Mo getting wrestled the ground was bad enough. But the handball ..... Man alive, Maradona would have been proud of that. Mariner and the main stand lino were an absolute joke. I hate VAR with a passion. But the amount of times we've been done by officials this year is no longer funny. And blatantly done at that. Just reading Tottenham have more Anfield penalty's this year than L'pool. That's mad by itself. And neither of those should have stood! Something SERIOUSLY needs doing with the standard of officiating. It's getting SO costly for clubs in today's mega millions game it's untrue. 

As for the actual game, not too much to say on that. Preverbal European hangover and the Reds just never got going. Dogs dinner of a match. And when they did create, Mo had a complete off day along with a good few other big chances wasted. Trent one of the most glaring. 

Don't think the switch 
in formation to what looked a midfield diamond helped. Certainly down the right which was non-existent. Trent didn't seem to know where he was playing. Gomez had an absolute shocker. Although learning after he turned his ankle early goes some way to explaining that. Bobby worked his behind off in behind Mo and the continued, abject Ings. But he looked uncomfortably out of place as a 10. It just unsettled our whole rhythm. Lot of work to do there Klopp mate the training ground of yers gonna' try that switch again. 

Thought Klaven was MOTM. He was composed and in control all through. Closely followed by Gini and Milner. But it's REAL slim pickings. Gomez was woeful as noted. Put that in part down to the ankle as it's the few exceptions to the norm from him this season. Moreno's Moreno. No question he'd improved massively early season. Which was a credit to 
him. Equally no question he's still a brain-dead idiot who never learns and needs to go. Along with Ings who yet again was an absolute non-entity for the majority of his time on the pitch. Played up-front in a partnership with Mo. Bar an excellent strike for the disallowed goal, you wouldn't have known he was on the pitch if you didn't know. Great guy. Boss attitude. No harder worker at the club. But just nowhere near good enough for this side and where we're headed. A real glaring example of players being good enough to get you to one level. But when you improve as a team and club to take that next step up the next, VERY top level to be consistently challenging on all fronts late in seasons, player's like that just can't cut it and need to be replaced by better quality. As has shown the last two weekends in squad depth with the injuries. Yeah, we've lost three key midfielders at a key time which is rotten luck. Along with obviously losing a £140 plus million one January. But it just attests to there needing to be 5/6 top quality additions to the squad in the summer, aside from Keita, to cover that and not have a drop off like there have been the last two woeful League outings against West Brom and Stoke. But on the flip side of that is the absolutely ridiculous European campaign rolling to what would be an absolutely magnificent 6th European Cup which will cement those next, top bracket of players to take what we're building here to the next level. 

Save for it being a handy away, I won't be sorry to see the back of Stoke City and the continued thuggery from their collection of yard dogs in any way, shape or form from this league. 

As for the Reds, ironically, as poor as they were, that was a great, vital point in putting CL football for next season completely in our own hands. Something we've not had for nigh on a decade. Successive seasons of CL football. That's another massive step forward and another massive season of improvement for Kloppo's continually developing Reds. We've three options now. Get something from Chelsea next week. Or if we lose that, go beat a safe Brighton side at home the last game. Or just go do what everything has 
building to all season long. Bring home arl' 'Big Ears' for a 6th time in Kiev the end of the month! 

Up the 'F Stoke. Rome and our destiny 
is what it's ALL about' Reds!

Hail. 

Lying btard media and Police creating a false narrative and stirring things up even more. Will that EVER change?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/italian-police-spark-outrage-bizarre-14590044

Our history with Roma goes back 4 decades. Yet 
STILL UEFA do F all about them and their continued, ****house attacks on most every set of supporters that visit. The stats the Gab Marcotti piece Thursday were as staggering as they weren't surprising: 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/roma-failing-to-contain-a-new-breed-of-hooligan-cbbpldxnk

Pallotta: It’s time for things to change in Italy now

That club more than any other wants a LONG ban from UEFA competition until they sort their pricks out.

Hail.