Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

First, a minutes 'applause Sat'day befor

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

First, a minutes 'applause' Sat'day before the game. What, exactly, is there to 'applaud?' I want to respect and remember 96 lives less fortunate than myself that aren't here to do the same. 'Applauding' is the very LAST emotion that should be on show.

Sorry about the quote... On my phone. Additional thought edited in in a moment.

I noticed something similar in a match I watched earlier this year... I think it was for a Spanish former player that had died. 

I also had a similar reaction (though obviously not as invested), but I think the reason they do applause is to show respect with the thought that if they do a moment of silence some moron always screams out in the middle. 

Maybe they were afraid not everyone would be respectful, especially with the makeup of big team crowds these days.

Still, it sounds like you have reason to be upset... They don't seem to have taken it seriously.

Edited by techboy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, techboy said:

Sorry about the quote... On my phone. Additional thought edited in in a moment.

I noticed something similar in a match I watched earlier this year... I think it was for a Spanish former player that had died. 

I also had a similar reaction (though obviously not as invested), but I think the reason they do applause is to show respect with the thought that if they do a moment of silence some moron always screams out in the middle. 

Maybe they were afraid not everyone would be respectful, especially with the makeup of big team crowds these days.

Still, it sounds like you have reason to be upset... They don't seem to have taken it seriously.

Europeans, particularly Italians and Spanish, have always shown their respect in those instances by clapping mate. The culture in England has been different where it's always been a silence But over the last few years, a minutes applause has become more prevalent. In large part to negate opposition fans disrupting a silence/ people reacting to said disruption and the potential escalating consequences as you alluded to above. 

TBF, Saturday was more on the Hillsborough Family Support Group than the club. The football club rolls with their wishes. (I have a lot of issues with the HFSG but this isn't the time.). "The victims’ families have requested applause rather than silence to not only remember those who died at the FA Cup semi-final in 1989, but also to recognise the achievements of the families, survivors, fans and all those who have supported the campaign for justice"

I have a problem with that. There's a time and place.

I'm a survivor. I don't need applauding for fighting through the last nigh on 3 decades of the single worst experience anyone should ever have to live through. It's not about the families. Or survivors. Or the on-going fight for justice. There's a place and a time for that. And like many other survivors round me the Kop Sat'day, it seriously P a lot of people off. Just like we stopped going to the HFSG 'Remembrance Service' at the ground, when it was held there, and started doing our own thing. It became a sideshow and the very LAST thing it was supposed to be about. Respect and remembrance for lost friends. 

Absolutely nottin' to be 'applauding' to my mind when you're doing that. 

Hail. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Long n Left looks like Dortmund 22 July in Charlotte!

Was REALLY hoping for Nashville... my wife already started planning with her sister for that visit.  So I might be ****ed lol.

BVB Charlotte 22 July

City - New York (Meadowlands) 26 July

United - the Big House in Michigan 28 July

Then Napoli, August 4th in Dublin.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DC9 said:

@Long n Left looks like Dortmund 22 July in Charlotte!

Was REALLY hoping for Nashville... my wife already started planning with her sister for that visit.  So I might be ****ed lol.

BVB Charlotte 22 July

City - New York (Meadowlands) 26 July

United - the Big House in Michigan 28 July

Then Napoli, August 4th in Dublin.

Yup, and if anyone is interested/in the area, there will be an official announcement celebration in conjunction with LFC at Romare Bearden Park this Thursday the 19th from 11am-1pm.

Also, as a member of the Charlotte Reds OLSC, I, and all other paid members, will get advanced shot a tickets. If you're a Red in the Charlotte area, join now (find us on Facebook), pay your $15 dues, and you can sit with the cool kids!

Waiting for my daughter to get the info from UM, but hoping they have an orientation session for incoming freshman around the 28th so we can see the Reds in the Big House also!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2018 at 4:24 PM, Long n Left said:

Talking travel ..... And don't scream at me for tempting fate .....

Booked the two outward flights to Kiev the route we've been sat on today as it has just started to creep up. 

Calculated gamble. With potentially Munich (not so much Madrid. The Spanish never travel in great numbers), having 24 hours start with our 2nd leg being on Wednesday. And they'll be all over the same routes we are. Along with being out in Rome and not needing to try sort things out whilst travelling home. Rather take a worst case of standing the cost of the flights if we got beat as opposed to flight prices going mega stupid in another 2 weeks time. 

Worry about the return after at least next Tuesday's out the way and where things stand then.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Last night my daughter got her orientation info, and the dates for orientation are all right around the game date, so, lo and behold, looks as though I'll be seeing the Reds twice in a week!

Knew there was a good reason I'll be paying an arm and leg for her to be a Wolverine.

Woohoo! Going to be sitting the Kop in the Big House! Presale for LFC members stateside. Can't put it up on any social media platform, but if you want to get tix now in the presale, for Ann Arbor only, PM me and I'll tell ya how.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Last night my daughter got her orientation info, and the dates for orientation are all right around the game date, so, lo and behold, looks as though I'll be seeing the Reds twice in a week!

Knew there was a good reason I'll be paying an arm and leg for her to be a Wolverine.

Woohoo! Going to be sitting the Kop in the Big House! Presale for LFC members stateside. Can't put it up on any social media platform, but if you want to get tix now in the presale, for Ann Arbor only, PM me and I'll tell ya how.

So yer saying yuse are gonna’ see Pulisic twice before I do?

****ER! 

Hail.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

So yer saying yuse are gonna’ see Pulisic twice before I do?

****ER! 

Hail.

My wife when I told her about the tickets in Michigan, "You're going to make us sit in the Kop?"

My reply, "**** yeah!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well that was a pleasantly relaxed day out in the sun. With the added amusement of dickhead ‘Brummies seriously thinking any Red was arsed ..... ‘2-0 and yers F-ed it up?’ ..... Aside from the fact you were just a sideshow to Tuesday, you’ve F’ed up yer whole season! Bellends.

Not sure how that wasn’t a penalty on Ings or just how the big Egyptian snidey **** stayed on the pitch but meh, who cares? Mo another step toward the record. Just another game for the Egyptian King. Karius showing again just why Alisson is SO imperative this summer. Alby’s Alby. Never learns the daft bugger. Chamberlain now on 5 goals/ 8 assists for the year. ****e him like ..... Two sloppy goals was frustrating but no harm, no fowl. Like the Derby, today was just a means to an end to Tuesday.

Hail.

• Like 1