Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So is Donovan's retirement as big a deal as it's being made out to be?

Granted he's the all time leader for the US in goals and assists and brought passion when he was on the field.  But, he also had decent stretches of lethargy off of it and seemed to often have sebaticals.  I actually thought he was fairly well overrated up until the 2010 World Cup.  That tournament opened my eyes to what others were talking about.  Will the fallout with Jurgen tarnish his record with the USMNT?

Thoughts?

To not give Donovan his due as the greatest player in US history would be a shame.  Many times he was the only option on the field and he still found ways to score.  Anyone who has followed the US for 20 years will not hold this year against him.

That 2002WC game against Germany still ranks as the greatest game I have witnessed the US play,  And Donovan played out of his head, even if he didn't score.

So is Donovan's retirement as big a deal as it's being made out to be?

Granted he's the all time leader for the US in goals and assists and brought passion when he was on the field.  But, he also had decent stretches of lethargy off of it and seemed to often have sebaticals.  I actually thought he was fairly well overrated up until the 2010 World Cup.  That tournament opened my eyes to what others were talking about.  Will the fallout with Jurgen tarnish his record with the USMNT?

Thoughts?

its a huge deal. Donovan was the face of the US team for like 14 years.

The only time he had lethargy on the field was the last couple of years when he fell off physically.

The fallout with Jurgen will not tarnish his legacy. Not even close.

Better late than never .....

Belated congratulations to Liverpool Ladies on retaining the FA Woman's Super League against all the odds last Sunday. They now join Arsenal Ladies as the only two time winners.

The defending champions went into the last day as rank outsiders. LL started the day in third, 3 points behind Chelsea Ladies and a point behind Birmingham Ladies. But due to Chelsea getting beat 2-1 at Manchester City Ladies, and Birmingham drawing 2-2 at Notts County Ladies (City and County where 4th and 3rd bottom respectively); Liverpool's 3-0 win over 2nd bottom Bristol Academy Ladies gave them a second successive crown on goal difference from Chelsea. (Plus 9 to plus 7.).

And now tonight the girls have a massive game in Sweden in the UEFA Woman's Champions League last 32 against :Linkopping, who they hold a 2-1 first leg lead over. Good luck girls. Bring it home!

*Any excuse to sing ..... 'CAMPIONE, CAMPIONE, CAMPIONE LIV-ER-POOL!' :D

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Alas the girls got beat 3-0, and went out 4-2 on aggregate.

Over to the men to show them how it's done next Wednesday at a rocking Anfield. (Yes Morrison, one of THOSE nights ONLY Anfield produces. ;) .).

5 times European Champions against 10 times current holders. Both one of only 5 clubs to actually OWN a European Cup. :D.

The all reds against the all whites. With the all reds leading 3-0 in previous games, with 7 scored and none conceded. Including the 1981 final in Paris.

Going into work late as I have a feeling this will be one of the very special Anfield nights. I aren/t missing this one for the World.

It doesn't get ANY bigger than this.

Hail.

Going into work late as I have a feeling this will be one of the very special Anfield nights. I aren/t missing this one for the World.

It doesn't get ANY bigger than this.

Hail.

I thought it was on Tuesday?  It's on Wednesday?

I'm just glad this international break is over, brother.  We need to put it on QPR on Sunday.  I know that's one of your favorite away grounds, are you headed out that way?

I thought it was on Tuesday?  It's on Wednesday?

I'm just glad this international break is over, brother.  We need to put it on QPR on Sunday.  I know that's one of your favorite away grounds, are you headed out that way?

Yeah, Wednesday. They rotate you alternate Tuesday's and Wednesday's the Champions League. Talking of .....

Madrid away is Tuesday November 4. So sadly I'm missing out on what's always a boss trip to QPR as I'm in saving mode with 5 straight in November taking in two Euro away's. And there's still that last game Cowboys battle I'm working toward. ;).

Back on track Sunday. 3 straight to set us up for Chelsea at home and putting the Special Needs one in his place. And with Daniel finally back, we can FINALLY get the partnership up and running. Brilliant to reed Mario saying he's so happy and settling in great in the City and that he's working real hard to adapt his game to become more of a clinical penalty box goal scorer. Man alive if he starts adding regular goals to his immense talent they'll be some SERIOUS crow being eaten in this thread by MANY. Having Sturridge back Sunday to share the load and take defenders off of him will be a start.

Glad the International break is over too matey. Now we can get back to the real stuff. And I just loved reading Giggs defend Sterling over the current English B/S that Raheem 'doesn't want to play for his Country.' But above that Giggs saying we're STILL Utd's top rival and the team they always want to finish above made me smile. Giggs knows. Chelsea, City and Arsenal fans just delude themselves into thinking they actually matter. ;)  :D  :P

Talking of that shower down the other end of the East Lancs, you'll just LOVE this one .....

A friend has just been in Iceland the past week and a half for his wife's 40th. She's always wanted to go so he splashed out. Anyways, long story short, he showed us a hilarious piece he filmed on his 'phone when they landed back at Manchester. RVP and Blind (returning home sheepish after the Netherlands defeat in Iceland) where in the cue at passport control ahead of him and Mike shouts out 'Alright Robin lad. Bet yers r not used to all this foreign travel lark now Utd aren't big in enough to be in Europe anymore!' Which got a wry smile from RVP and major laughs from everyone else queuing. Have it saved on my moby. :lol:.

Hail.

• Like 1

Back on track Sunday. 3 straight to set us up for Chelsea at home and putting the Special Needs one in his place. And with Daniel finally back, we can FINALLY get the partnership up and running. Brilliant to reed Mario saying he's so happy and settling in great in the City and that he's working real hard to adapt his game to become more of a clinical penalty box goal scorer. Man alive if he starts adding regular goals to his immense talent they'll be some SERIOUS crow being eaten in this thread by MANY. Having Sturridge back Sunday to share the load and take defenders off of him will be a start.

That "genius" tweet was awesome, as was the banner.  I'm excited, too.  Daniel is just what he needs and he is just what Daniel needs.

A friend has just been in Iceland the past week and a half for his wife's 40th. She's always wanted to go so he splashed out. Anyways, long story short, he showed us a hilarious piece he filmed on his 'phone when they landed back at Manchester. RVP and Blind (returning home sheepish after the Netherlands defeat in Iceland) where in the cue at passport control ahead of him and Mike shouts out 'Alright Robin lad. Bet yers r not used to all this foreign travel lark now Utd aren't big in enough to be in Europe anymore!' Which got a wry smile from RVP and major laughs from everyone else queuing. Have it saved on my moby. :lol:.

:lol: that is the BEST!!  Is there anyway you can post that on here?

Anything to bring LVS back.  Speaking of wry...

If I can figure it out I gladly will.

But something tells me our erstwhile 'friend' is on another extended 'vacation.'

What was Mario's banner BTW? Missed that.

Hail.

*Edit* Oh, you meant this one right? I thought for a minute he'd done his own. :lol:.

1413042032537_wps_1_A_banner_aimed_at_Ma

'I have nothing to declare except my genius' Yeah, another instant classic reds banner.

Hail.

Would of rather a partner for Mario but at least he's pushed Stevie forward which is far more positive.

Hail.

He's been staunch in that approach hasn't he?  What with all the goals we've scored from it...

I mean, the middle isn't completely packed like it has been for every game.

Every team we play against looks exactly the same.  Which, to me, means that we aren't getting the most out of our talent.