Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I guess this time caughtoffside was right.

"I can confirm that Cavani has received offers from Liverpool and Arsenal. Has already said he would like to play in England, but he has not made a final decision. He is neither interested in money nor by fame. He just wants to be happy playing football, "said his agent in the columns of El Telegrafo.

United and Everton fans go back to twiddling your thumbs. This is for the major players only .....

So Celtic get a reprieve back into the Champions League and as good as a bye into the group stage as surely even they can't F up Maribor. Right decision as much as I dislike Celtic. Rules are rules. And as their fans took a serious battering the other week in Warsaw it saves any potential bloodbath so all things considered glad Wisla screwed up. Plus Glasgow is a short trip and we'd muller them. MEGA tough draw for Arsenal. You DON'T want to be having to go to Istanbul at ANY time. Let alone the start of the year when you aren't back to full fitness and fully in the swing of things. Honestly wouldn't like to call that one. And Bilbao (my dream trip) got a horrid tie in Naples. 

Draw:

Maribor (Slovenia) v Celtic (Scotland)

Salzburg (Austria) v Malmo (Sweden)
AaB (Denmark) v Apoel (Cyprus)
Steaua Bucharest (Romania) v Ludogorets (Bulgaria)
Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) v BATE Borisov (Belarus)
Besiktas (Turkey) v Arsenal (England)
Standard Liege (Belgium) v Zenit St Petersburg (Russia)
FC Copenhagen (Denmark) v Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
Lille (France) v Porto (Portugal)
Napoli (Italy) v Athletic Bilbao (Spain)

Pots for Group Stage draw as we currently stand. (Schalke and Dortmund would replace Porto and Arsenal in pot 1 if they got knocked out, respectively putting Leverkusen (if they win!) and Olympiakos into pot 2.).

All teams listed in current UEFA coefficient order with an asterisk next to teams in the final qualifying rounds.

Pot 1.                   Pot 2.                         Pot 3.                      Pot 4.

Real Madrid         Schalke 04                 Bayer Leverkusen*  Anderlecht 

Barcelona            Borrusia Dortmund     Olimpiacos              FC Salzburg*

Bayern Munich    Juventus                     CSKA Moscow         AS Roma

Chelsea               PSG                           Ajax                         Steaua Bucharest*

Benfica                Shaktar Donetsk        Napoli*                     APOEL Nicosia*

Atletico Madrid    FC Basel                    Liverpool                 Celtic*

Arsenal*              Zenit St. Petersburg*  Sporting Lisbon       BATE Borisov*

FC Porto*            Manchester City         Galatasaray            AS Monaco

Remember there's Country protection in the Group Stage so no two teams from the same Country can be in the same group. 

Out of that, Id prefer Porto from pot one; Schalke (or Dortmund, But been there enough times) from pot 2 (everything else in there is a hooligan's dream); our friends from Piraeus, Olympiacos from pot 3 and (hopefully) Bilbao from pot four, (Or Salzburg if no Billbao.). 

Nightmare group would be Benfica (just boring although Lisbon is just about the cheapest Capital City in Europe)/ ANYONE not called Schalke or Dortmund from Pot 2 (Aggro and Visa nightmare)/ Napoli or Moscow from pot 3 (reason as pot 2)/ Roma or Borisov from pot 4. (Reason as 2 and 3.). 

3 weeks today boys at 5PM (12 PM Eastern) we'll know.  

Excitement building. It's great to back where we belong.

Uh oh. Well, if he comes to Arsenal, it will only be because he'd rather live in London, right, GHH, jobaga, DC9?

Be as facetious as you like but London still has a MAJOR draw for foreigners over any other City in England. 

Even Utd have struggled at times in the Premiership years when competing against London clubs for players.

Hail.  

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Be as facetious as you like but London still has a MAJOR draw for foreigners over any other City in England. 

Even Utd have struggled at times in the Premiership years when competing against London clubs for players.

Hail.  

Wait a tick, have I finally succeeded in striking a nerve?

Uh oh. Well, if he comes to Arsenal, it will only be because he'd rather live in London, right, GHH, jobaga, DC9?

I hope he saw how much support his countryman received in the face of all his madness. I hope he wants to play in front of those same passionate fans.

United and Everton fans go back to twiddling your thumbs. This is for the major players only .....

So Celtic get a reprieve back into the Champions League and as good as a bye into the group stage as surely even they can't F up Maribor. Right decision as much as I dislike Celtic. Rules are rules. And as their fans took a serious battering the other week in Warsaw it saves any potential bloodbath so all things considered glad Wisla screwed up. Plus Glasgow is a short trip and we'd muller them. MEGA tough draw for Arsenal. You DON'T want to be having to go to Istanbul at ANY time. Let alone the start of the year when you aren't back to full fitness and fully in the swing of things. Honestly wouldn't like to call that one. And Bilbao (my dream trip) got a horrid tie in Naples. 

Draw:

Maribor (Slovenia) v Celtic (Scotland)

Salzburg (Austria) v Malmo (Sweden)

AaB (Denmark) v Apoel (Cyprus)

Steaua Bucharest (Romania) v Ludogorets (Bulgaria)

Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) v BATE Borisov (Belarus)

Besiktas (Turkey) v Arsenal (England)

Standard Liege (Belgium) v Zenit St Petersburg (Russia)

FC Copenhagen (Denmark) v Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

Lille (France) v Porto (Portugal)

Napoli (Italy) v Athletic Bilbao (Spain)

Pots for Group Stage draw as we currently stand. (Schalke and Dortmund would replace Porto and Arsenal in pot 1 if they got knocked out, respectively putting Leverkusen (if they win!) and Olympiakos into pot 2.).

All teams listed in current UEFA coefficient order with an asterisk next to teams in the final qualifying rounds.

Pot 1.                   Pot 2.                         Pot 3.                      Pot 4.

Real Madrid         Schalke 04                 Bayer Leverkusen*  Anderlecht 

Barcelona            Borrusia Dortmund     Olimpiacos              FC Salzburg*

Bayern Munich    Juventus                     CSKA Moscow         AS Roma

Chelsea               PSG                           Ajax                         Steaua Bucharest*

Benfica                Shaktar Donetsk        Napoli*                     APOEL Nicosia*

Atletico Madrid    FC Basel                    Liverpool                 Celtic*

Arsenal*              Zenit St. Petersburg*  Sporting Lisbon       BATE Borisov*

FC Porto*            Manchester City         Galatasaray            AS Monaco

Remember there's Country protection in the Group Stage so no two teams from the same Country can be in the same group. 

Out of that, Id prefer Porto from pot one; Schalke (or Dortmund, But been there enough times) from pot 2 (everything else in there is a hooligan's dream); our friends from Piraeus, Olympiacos from pot 3 and (hopefully) Bilbao from pot four, (Or Salzburg if no Billbao.). 

Nightmare group would be Benfica (just boring although Lisbon is just about the cheapest Capital City in Europe)/ ANYONE not called Schalke or Dortmund from Pot 2 (Aggro and Visa nightmare)/ Napoli or Moscow from pot 3 (reason as pot 2)/ Roma or Borisov from pot 4. (Reason as 2 and 3.). 

3 weeks today boys at 5PM (12 PM Eastern) we'll know.  

Excitement building. It's great to back where we belong.

Hail.  

The major players are in pot 1. There's a lot of work to be done for United to falter their into pot 3 with Liverpool and what does it tell you that if United were to qualify again this season they'd be ranked higher than Liverpool.

It must be nice to have that kind of money.  That is ridiculous.

What's it feel like Richmond?

Well if it makes you feel better I'll always be pushing behind one not so wealthy club in Dortmund.  The fans at that club are (I mean this with all do respect GHH) some of the most awesome if not the most awesome in the world.  Plus going head to head with Bayern while having their players stolen from them. I can't help but have love for a club that puts up with that crap. I hope Dortmund wins the Bunda (Won't happen) and does great things in Champions league.  I was pushing hard as hell for them in Champions League the year they made the final.  If it comes at the expense of Real or Man Utd I won't be upset because that club gets knocked out and gets right back up. Now they got to put up with Bayern trying to get Reus or get him out of the league.  I heard Schalke is next on Bayern's list.  Poor Bunda. **** Bayern

Hey Bayern

Also GHH I saw this and I knew you had to see this.  About brought tears to my eyes and I ain't a Liverpool supporter.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

I'm all 804, baby :lol:

Almost... :ph34r:

You know I'm going to give you **** and it's all love.

oh of course I expect it.  I'd be more surprised if you didn't.  Irony is Dortmund's slogan is True Love in German.  Only thing probably keeping Dortmund people from losing their minds seeing every star get sucked away.  Sadly Bunda better get use to it. Thats the overall issue now is while Bayern isn't good at scouting (True fact)  they have the money and influence to get any player who starts doing great things in the league.  Bayern already made it known Draxler and some others will be targets at Schalke (Who know all about getting poached by Bayern).  They'll come for Dortmund again. Problem is those players will just sit there on the bench at that point.  No one wins.  Like you were saying with Madrid seemly stockpiling. The difference is Madrid isn't afraid to go up against other big clubs for players.  Bayern doesn't.  They target within the league and seemly put a monopoly over it.   At least with other big clubs is a inter league fight over players.  In Germany its now just one gets to have everyone and steals players away from clubs that spent years developing only to watch them sit on the bench because Bayern just wanted to weaken the club. Honestly Bayern is hurting itself.  It's best years lately was when it got pushed by a tough bunda. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

The major players are in pot 1. There's a lot of work to be done for United to falter their into pot 3 with Liverpool and what does it tell you that if United were to qualify again this season they'd be ranked higher than Liverpool.

Here's the rub on that, that should be a glaring, flashing warning to you .....

2006 through 2009 we ranked 3rd highest all 4 years on UEFA's coefficient rankings. 2010 we were still top 5.

Then no Champions league football for 4 years (Hell, no European football 2 out of those 4 years period and no better than a Europa Lge Rnd of 16 best) and Liverpool's rating has now dropped them to 32 and unseeded in pot 3.

You miss out not just the Champs Lge, but Europe altogether for just one year and your ranking suffers massively.

If that's not a glaring, flashing warning of what could be ahead for Unitsd I don't know what is.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Ligue 1 also starts.....

PSG wins while 12 teams battle to avoid relegation

PSG off to an expected slow start with a 2-2 draw, Ibracadabra hitting the post once and missing a pk. Cavani ordered to play on the left side where he was a no show. This pisses me off, what a waist of talent playing him out of position. I wish for Edinson's sake that he'll be traded, c'mon LFC !

Since Monaco lost Rodriguez and probably Falcao too, I don't see any challenger for PSG exception made of PSG itself. They'll have to deal with a lack of motivation in an average league, weaker clubs pumped up to kick'em ass, while the only worthy goal is the champions league.

This club is soulless, Blanc is clueless when it comes to CL and Qataris are dummies. They roughed up the feathers of Ancelotti who finally got the greatest possible revenge by winning the champions league.

They're not learning anything, building a defense with Brazilians !, since when Brazil was ever famous for its defense ? I would have rather traded for De Vrij and Blind, two young and very talented players, and also much cheaper than this Luiz clown. I bet right now Mourinho can't stop laughing at the Qataris overpaying €50 millions for him.

"It's hard to forget the way we lost in the semifinals against Germany (7-1). It's hard but you have to handle this situation and try to forget gradually because you have to be ready mentally to win every game with Paris, "said Silva the diva.

World cup hangover is gonna haunt him and Luiz for quite a long time. Then you've got Marquinhos and Lucas still pissed by the fact they were not selected to play for Brazil.

I hope some club will challenge them (Bielsa's Marseille ?) eventhough I doubt it, unless it's going to be a long boring season.

Edited by FrFan

I was in Paris a lot in the 90s and my custom is to buy the local club's jersey. I never did for PSG, because they were pretty bad back in the 90s, right?

Brazilian outside backs have been pretty good for decades, but I don't know if there's anyone since Maicon and Alves. Brazilian center backs, IMO, have been solid even though not stars—arguably, they didn't need to be the best because they had ridiculous midfielders and forwards.

In the WC, I think, Scolari overestimated his CBs and didn't assign his midfielders to provide more cover. Surprising that Blanc, a defender, can't see the need for that.

There's Cafu, Roberto Carlos, and Marcelo too.

I'll be curious who Arsenal starts against Besiktas. The best available I can think of:

Szcz

Debuchy, Chambers, Kos, Gibbs

Ramsey, Arteta

Sanchez, Cazorla, Ox (or Sanchez, Rosicky, Cazorla)

Sanogo

The Germans reportedly won't be ready for a while, Giroud wasn't getting high marks for fitness yet either, and Theo doesn't start training until the end of August. 

I don't know if Chambers is ready to make his debut in CL qualifier, so, scary as it seems, Monreal might be back there. Who knows if Kos is ready, but he may play out of necessity. Debuchy is new as well, so I'm worried about how this group will play together. 

I was in Paris a lot in the 90s and my custom is to buy the local club's jersey. I never did for PSG, because they were pretty bad back in the 90s, right?

Not so bad, they won a european cup, lost another in the final to Barcelona, and kicked Real's ass 4-1.

The problem with PSG in th 90s was that some of the fans were obnoxious, violents and racists.