Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Just seen the highlights.

City looked poor. Evertons defending on both Djeko goals in particular was woeful. The less said about Howard the better. Great save by Hart at 2-1 from Naismith. Barkley looked immense.

All around flat game and flat atmosphere from that cutdown as expected. But it's past.

Onto Palace Monday.

Hail.

Barkley will look immense in the famous red next year :)

I wouldn't be upset, anyways.

Citeh get Silva back for Villa on Wednesday, too.  Kompany has been manic these last few games.  Either fantastic or dreadful, there's really not middle ground.  Losing Aguero won't prevent City from winning the title, either.  For them it's all about movement and moving the keeper to one side and passing to the other.  They've probably got more goals off the wing than any other Premier league side. 

I'm rooting hard for Guzan.  Would love to see someone steal a couple of points from them.  We've come too far for this.  I haven't had a team win a championship since I was 7 years old, this is getting ridiculous.

A lot of the bigger clubs make preventative moves because they have the money too.  Not sure who was after Mata.

But Chelsea snatched at least two players from LFC (Willian last summer and Salah in January) who weren't on their radar until they visited/scheduled a visit to Melwood.

I thought Chelsea dodn't need Mata because they had plenty of attacking threats.

See I completely agree with this, yet Mata didn't contribute much yesterday so kinda makes this null.

Chelsea is toast guaranteed third auto Champions league, now its all on Reds tomorrow and we'll see if ManC has enough composure to finish it off.

Happens all the time.

Chelsea is toast guaranteed third auto Champions league, now its all on Reds tomorrow and we'll see if ManC has enough composure to finish it off.

If we can put up 5 or 6 tomorrow I think we put enough pressure on them to force a blunder in one of their last two.  I don't see the new Palace giving up that many goals.  I'd be satisfied to get out of their with three points and root hard for Guzan on Wednesday.

But Chelsea has enough with possession and distro, they just don't have the finishers.  Mata wasn't going to do you any favors there.  And Hazard is already better than he is and younger.

Maybe not in terms of scoring (Although he did his share of their too) but they are so static and unimaginative at times but they do have players who could have benefited from playing with Mata. Hazard is their only catalyst and with no center forward you don't really have to worry about anyone else. Willian and Schurrle are inside forwards IMO not playmakers.

Edited by SJValleySkinz

I thought Chelsea dodn't need Mata because they had plenty of attacking threats.

It's pretty apparent they are a limited squad offensively. Been the tale of this season, when they've needed a score, they charge a brick wall and fall down like squid on glass.

A club like Roma could face a parked-bus defense and just tap the ball back and forth, triangulate passing, use accuracy, subtlety and control with the touches. Blues' are clodhoppers in comparison, poor passing, poor in tight spaces, all heavy-footed, no subtle touch. 

Hazard does set things up, he's got the numbers, but other guys fail to create in unison with him, in that tight quarter triangulation. It's not the controlled beauty you see with Roma.

The best passer, still, the guy who can still control a pass kicked at him and then make a subsequent accurate pass, is Lamps, but he's being phased out, unfortunately. 

If it's a half-field game for the offense, forget about it. If it's open-field, a fastbreak, that helps.  

The backbone of the club is and has been the defense. That's also pretty apparent to see. Loaded in that department in fact. Terry, Ivanovic, Cole (who's playing like a man on a mission since being allowed back in), Cahill & Az ... 

And when Cech was back there, the defense overall as a unit could carry the team, alone. Would seem like next season is the time to bring Courtois into the fold. 

Anyway, you see this stuff a lot, where they just lob the ball into the box endlessly with nothing to show for it. It's a gangly group on offense. Thus you get these mercurial outcomes. One week playing and beating the top of europe, the next week losing or drawing with a relegation club. 

Again, as to why Lukaku was not with the club, beats me. He was obviously ready during the summer tour. Could have used his skill. Why they needed to gnash teeth for another year with Torres, beats me. I know at one point last summer there was a rumor that Jose M. was after Rooney since he was supposed to be the facilitator extraordinaire that would raise everyone else up, with assists.

IDK. 

Nonetheless, the detractors only see the name, the badge and assign the perceived hype to the squad without realizing that it truly is a limited club. They have flaws. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Nope they decided Mata was surplus to requirements because Jose thought he was not what he wanted from the 10 position. He wants people with speed in his 3 attacking midfield positions who can carry the ball quickly as his game plan is based on a counter attacking philosophy. Mata is not that kind of player - he does his best work passing the ball but is not great carrying the ball and is not really quick.

When they play teams who drop deep and dont offer space behind their back 4 or even two banks of 4 Chelsea struggle to break them down. Thats why their record against the lower teams who sit back against them is poor compared to their record against the better teams who do try to attack them. They do need to develop a plan B and C against teams who drop deep.

Jose also requires his attacking midfield players to track back and carry out defensive responsibilities. Again thats not Mata's strength.

Chelsea have lots of depth and options in attacking midfield roles (though I do think they need a number 10 who can use the ball as well as his legs) what they lack is an effective world class striker who can play on his own with his back to goal. Someone with pace and power like a young Drogba. If only someone like Lukaku was a Chelsea player ....

• Like 1

But Chelsea snatched at least two players from LFC (Willian last summer and Salah in January) who weren't on their radar until they visited/scheduled a visit to Melwood.

not near a Chelsea fan, but surely you know this is crap?

Salah had gone against Chelsea the last 2 seasons and was the star of those matches for Basel.

Willian ran the show last season against Chelsea for Shaktar and has been a known European talent for at least 3 seasons.

Also, Lukaku has shaky technique. Im not that convinced by him, but he is younger.

Last game of the season just ended in the Championship for those not involved in the play offs - and Leeds certainly are not. A mediocre season and a difficult season with the takeover and still 30,000 turned up for the last game today at Elland Road.

Rovers fell short.  Went on a good run at the end, unbeaten in the last 12 or 13.  But draws against Yeovil and Sheffield Wednesday don't really help the cause. 

not near a Chelsea fan, but surely you know this is crap?

Salah had gone against Chelsea the last 2 seasons and was the star of those matches for Basel.

Willian ran the show last season against Chelsea for Shaktar and has been a known European talent for at least 3 seasons.

Also, Lukaku has shaky technique. Im not that convinced by him, but he is younger.

Don't call me Shirley :P

No mention was made until after their visits to Melwood.  Then all of a sudden all of the London clubs hopped on.  And I mean all except Palace and West Ham :ph34r:.

Just a bit ironic.  Same thing happened with the Eastern European winger at the end of January.  P-something or other.  We were about to seal the deal and then Spurs comes in to outbid.

More of a preventative move than a necesitty is all I'm saying.  Though Willian has fought his way into the regular rotation.  And I'm not hating, it's all part of the game and good clubs ($$$$) can afford to do such things. 

• Like 1

Don't call me Shirley :P

No mention was made until after their visits to Melwood.  Then all of a sudden all of the London clubs hopped on.  And I mean all except Palace and West Ham :ph34r:.

Just a bit ironic.  Same thing happened with the Eastern European winger at the end of January.  P-something or other.  We were about to seal the deal and then Spurs comes in to outbid.

More of a preventative move than a necesitty is all I'm saying.  Though Willian has fought his way into the regular rotation.  And I'm not hating, it's all part of the game and good clubs ($$$$) can afford to do such things.

Willian has been necessary for Chelsea tho. IDK, both players were known in Europe for a few years. Willian had just sound for that long-named Russian club for like 40 million.
  • Like 1

Nope they decided Mata was surplus to requirements because Jose thought he was not what he wanted from the 10 position. He wants people with speed in his 3 attacking midfield positions who can carry the ball quickly as his game plan is based on a counter attacking philosophy. Mata is not that kind of player - he does his best work passing the ball but is not great carrying the ball and is not really quick.

When they play teams who drop deep and dont offer space behind their back 4 or even two banks of 4 Chelsea struggle to break them down. Thats why their record against the lower teams who sit back against them is poor compared to their record against the better teams who do try to attack them. They do need to develop a plan B and C against teams who drop deep.

Jose also requires his attacking midfield players to track back and carry out defensive responsibilities. Again thats not Mata's strength.

Chelsea have lots of depth and options in attacking midfield roles (though I do think they need a number 10 who can use the ball as well as his legs) what they lack is an effective world class striker who can play on his own with his back to goal. Someone with pace and power like a young Drogba. If only someone like Lukaku was a Chelsea player ....

Chelsea have this, Chelsea have that. Chelsea have forced me to watch City and Liverpool duke it out for the title because they cant score against relegation teams.

they dont

they need a forward.

Mata has definitely added things to United's attack, innit? Got them all the way up to 7th.

So because he didnt single handedly turn bums like Ashley Young and Valencia into world beaters you think Chelsea couldn't have used him?

Chelsea have this, Chelsea have that. Chelsea have forced me to watch City and Liverpool duke it out for the title because they cant score against relegation teams.

Pretty much - although City's record against the bottom feeders is not great either.

So because he didnt single handedly turn bums like Ashley Young and Valencia into world beaters you think Chelsea couldn't have used him?

yes and yes.

They paid 40 million for him, and he hasnt played anywhere near good enough. Ozil had Giroud looking like a really good striker and people think he had a down season, yet Mata skated free.

Also, Mata doesn't defend. Mata is in the running for one of the most overrated players in the premier league.

yes and yes.

They paid 40 million for him, and he hasnt played anywhere near good enough. Ozil had Giroud looking like a really good striker and people think he had a down season, yet Mata skated free.

Also, Mata doesn't defend. Mata is in the running for one of the most overrated players in the premier league.

And he had a whole less than half a season to do it in playing in an awful system. Until he moved to United he was considered one of the best. Interesting isn't it?

And he had a whole less than half a season to do it in playing in an awful system. Until he moved to United he was considered one of the best. Interesting isn't it?

Ozil is playing in a system that doesnt accommodate him either and hit the ground running, and this was playing in a new league.

Mata was only considered one of the best by the un-initiated.

Mata not a special player that you build a title winning team with him as the centerpiece. He does not defend, has poor workrate. Really good in the final 3rd, but not a standout type. United fans will realize this by February of next season. Chelsea made the right move selling him, they just should have done it in the summer when PSG were interested.

Ozil is playing in a system that doesnt accommodate him either and hit the ground running, and this was playing in a new league.

Mata was only considered one of the best by the un-initiated.

Mata not a special player that you build a title winning team with him as the centerpiece. He does not defend, has poor workrate. Really good in the final 3rd, but not a standout type. United fans will realize this by February of next season. Chelsea made the right move selling him, they just should have done it in the summer when PSG were interested.

Wenger's system doesn't accomodate Ozil? Do you need a little further initiation? Your reasons for Mata being overrated are a parroting of what the media has said about him BTW.