Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Every single one of these 30 for 30's ESPN does about soccer is fantastic. The first is Garrincha. A Brazilian legend who helped Brazil win 2 World Cups, and then had his life ruined by his alcoholism. Very sad. 

The second is about a terrorist attack at halftime of an Ireland - Italy World Cup match. 

Both of these movies are pretty moving. ESPN gets a lot of hate but every single one of t hese 30 for 30 movies they have done on soccer is amazing. I would highly recommend. 

Yeah I was really hoping to watch that one tonight, ix... had the dvr set and everything.  But these storms in NC knocked out the ole' DirecTV for a spell.  I'll have to catch it on the flip side.

Agreed, though... they've all been fantastic, though the Marodonna one was kind of lazy.  The "Competition" about Chile during the coup was absolutely phenominal.

Some interesting comments for Mourinho ahead of tonights second leg against Athletico although not specifically about tonights game. He was fielding questions about his approach in the first leg and against Liverpool.

"If the opponent is very fast and needs space behind your defence and you give them that space, you are stupid," added Mourinho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27215502

I think he is 100% correct personally. He understands how to set a team up to defend and he has the system and players to do it then he allows his front 3 or 4 to go play on the counter (which by the way is EXACTLY how Real played Bayern in both legs). Chelsea have beaten Liverpool and City home and away this year. However if a team does not attack Chelsea they struggle to adapt to a plan B and can be vulnerable. They have the attacking players to beat anyone when they get the wind in their sales though as they showed against PSG coming back from being 3-1 down in the first leg.

If I'm Athletico tonight I'm not playing into Chelsea's hands by attacking them - I'm being compact and keeping things tight for the first 20 minutes and seeing how Chelsea react. Not conceding two goals from set pieces in the first 10 minutes would help from both teams perspectives as well ...

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

WOOT the good guys comes back 1 - 1

I hope Athletico bunkers and wins on away goal

And watch the delusional one moan like Hell if they do and tell everyone he knows Chelsea are the true European Champions.

Keep it going Atletico! 45 minutes more hard work boys.

loads of Athletico fans at the bridge, so jealous

gotta figure out how to time my business to trip London with Liverpool games

Next time you're in London and we're down South hollar at me and I'll box a ticket off.

But you've NO chance for Monday before you ask, lol. Only just got one myself. Those ****ers are like gold dust.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

ES OFFICIAL **** JOSE THREAD!!! ....,

He's now lost all 3 European Cup semis with Chrlsea. Two to the team he hates more than any other, Liverpool (the ghost goal narks the living piss out of him to this day); and one to Atletico. Winning a whopping 1 of those 6 games.

I guess the self proclaimed 'special one' isn't that special after all.

Oh yeah, **** JOSE!

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Now for the excuse. Certainly won't be they lost to the better side.

Hail.

They were beaten by the better side - but my hunch is if Chelsea had not conceded that first goal late in the first half they would have gone through. Ifs and buts ......

Atletico's debt:  €500 millions

Real's debt: €541 millions

Platini said financial fairplay ! :lol:

You can't take anything anyone in a governing sports body says seriously.

• Like 1

You know I just sir here and think how different things would have been had Ramsey and Ozil not went down. Gunners look like a completely different squad now. But injuries are all Arsenals fans know nowadays....

You know I just sir here and think how different things would have been had Ramsey and Ozil didn't go down. Gunners look like a completely different squad now. But injuries are all Arsenal fans know nowadays....

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

They were beaten by the better side - but my hunch is if Chelsea had not conceded that first goal late in the first half they would have gone through. Ifs and buts ......

no they wouldnt

Its why I never understood the wankfest over the 0-0 first leg. All Atletico needed to do was score 1 goal at the bridge and it was over.

And Atletico is a much better team than Chelsea and was the worst match up for them since they don't mind grinding out games and not having the ball.