Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I think the US draw looks worse than it really is. Yes it is tough, and we are gonna have to be at the top of our game to advance. But that's what the World Cup is all about. If we played ****ty we don't deserve to advance anyway, regardless of the group. The way I see it (much like Kilmer said):

- we HAVE to get 3 points in the first game against Ghana. Anything less pretty much ends our World Cup ( obviously not mathematically, but theoretically)

- if we are able to get three points in the first game, and can manage a tie against Portugal, we will be in good shape. I think Portugal is one of the more overrated teams in uefa. Sure, Ronaldo is a game changer who could light us up by himself. However, I have faith in kilnsmann as a tactician that he will not trot Beasley and Evans out there against Portugal, and will put the more athletic Fabian Johnson, Timmy chandler, Geoff Cameron, ect. Out there to help slow down Ronaldo. While Portugal is talented, if we can somehow slow down Ronaldo and get in his head, I think we can hang with Portugal. Although I am not a fan of jermaine jones, I would like to see him play that game just to get some hard fouls on Ronaldo and get him crying to the ref early.

- luckily we draw the Germans in the third game. Hopefully they can pull out two victories in the first games and will be able to sit some players against the US. At that point, if we are in a position to need points in that game, it is at least achievable. Also, remember that kilnsmann pretty much assembled that German team. He coached them for two years, and their current coach and assistants were part of his staff during that time. He should know that team very well, and be able to prepare for them better than anyone else in the tourney.

- IF we can somehow manage to make it out of the group stage, we are able to avoid teams like Brazil and Spain. While we would most likely get matched up against a tough Belgium squad, it could have been a lot worse.

In the end, this could be the strongest US team that we have ever brought to a World Cup. We are a talented team that has proven in the past that we can beat teams like Spain, Italy and Portugal. It's certainly a large task to try and make it out of this group, but it is in no way unattainable. I'm still optimistic and hoping for the best.

Well that was a weird game. Three oggies. Maybe four. (Was Suarez's shot even on target before the deflection?). Terrible defending on top of wastefulness that almost let West Ham back into the game as we became nervy at 2-1. Yet at the end of the day, the rightful scoreline for our dominance and chances created. 

LOVE the irony of Assiadi scoring the winner against Chelsea being as he's on loan from ourselves at Stoke. And with the two Manc clubs dropping more points, a great day allround. Talking of which, Newcastle's first win at the Theatre of Wet Dreams since 1972? First time in 11 seasons Utd have lost successive home games. Barely a chance created all game. Looking at being 15 points off first tomorrow. In December. David Moyes is a Football GENIUS!  :D

Honestly, I caught a debate on the TV this AM asking where it was going wrong after all he did at Everton and the success he was there. Uhmmmmm, 'success?' No SNIFF of a trophy in decade. Only qualified for Europe ONCE in that time, and managed the unique feat of going our of not one, but TWO different European Competitions in the space of a month. Woeful record against the bigger clubs. Yeah, he had MAJOR success at Everton Football Club, As is being shown now at Utd.  :lol: Totally and utterly out of his depth. 

Don't say I didn't warn you all Richmond and co this past summer. The only bad thing is if this continues he might be sacked by Easter. Which would be a DARN shame given the fantastic job he's doing there.  :P

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

LOVE the irony of Assiadi scoring the winner against Chelsea being as he's on loan from ourselves at Stoke.

Borini was very close to tying it up against Spurs.  He earned a corner where there was a handball that wasn't called.

Dare I say it was a red letter day? :lol:

• Like 1

Everton were great in the midfield today. First time Ive seen an Arsenal team get comprehensively outplayed in the midfield in years. Ross Barkley was amazing. The hype is real, he is the one. Hope he plays for Nigeria, lol.

Saying that, because of the play of the backline Everton created nothing. That Delofeu goal was incredible tho. No backlift at all.

Oh well, gained a point and now 5 clear. Should rest Özil and Ramsey for Napoli so they can get ready for the City match. And Wenger is right about the premiership not caring about its clubs. Arsenal play the late Sunday game, then play Wednesday in Napoli, then lunchtime on Saturday at City. No other European League has no regard for their teams like the premiership.

Man, Lukaku running at you has to be a scary thing. Must be like a young Drogba.

Unless you're Laurent Koscielny. He just places you into his pocket like he has done with most of the great strikers in the premiership. Edited by JoeWolf990

Being ad Arsenal have already qualified, I implore any and all Arsenal fans to stay WELL away from that absolute ****hole in Southern Italy.

Save your money for the next round. And in so doing save any potential (or should that be probable) gutless attacks and stabbings from the oh so hard Naples scooter boys.

It's not worth it. Stay at home and let the gypos fight among themselves.

Hail.

Critics out in full force to call Arsenal pretenders because they drew with Everton....

One article said that Man City and Chelsea wouldn't have let that happen...even though they just lost to weaker sides. Glad to see the media sucks worldwide still lol

Im confused by what they mean by that. Everton has already beaten Chelsea and its not like we are bottom feeders. Right now Everton is a top 5 team and playing very well, so dont see how a draw against us shows Arsenal is in trouble.

Now if they had drawn Liverpool I could understand. :P

Im confused by what they mean by that. Everton has already beaten Chelsea and its not like we are bottom feeders. Right now Everton is a top 5 team and playing very well, so dont see how a draw against us shows Arsenal is in trouble.

I think Everton was the toughest game we've played all season. 

I don't know if you guys dominated our midfield the whole game either—control shifted in diff. phases of the game. It was better than anyone we've played against so far. 

Critics out in full force to call Arsenal pretenders because they drew with Everton....

One article said that Man City and Chelsea wouldn't have let that happen...even though they just lost to weaker sides. Glad to see the media sucks worldwide still lol

link?

I dont think anyone is calling Arsenal out for drawing with Everton. Thats a damn good team with p4p the best manager in the premiership.

Being ad Arsenal have already qualified, I implore any and all Arsenal fans to stay WELL away from that absolute ****hole in Southern Italy.

technically havent qualified (just need to not lose by 3 goals), and we need to draw to top of the group.

technically havent qualified (just need to not lose by 3 goals), and we need to draw to top of the group.

Damn it. Thought yuse had. Well God speed to anyone brave (or stupid) enough to go out there. Stay in Sorento or Pompeii would be my best advice and only venture up to Naples on the day on whatever transport the useless Carabinieri lay on for Arsenal fans. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Man, Lukaku running at you has to be a scary thing. Must be like a young Drogba.

I will say he's been the best striker we've faced all year.  He was killing us in the Derby.  If not for Mignolet he could've scored 3 or 4 goals on his own.

And your father smelled of elderberries :lol:

• Like 1

link?

I dont think anyone is calling Arsenal out for drawing with Everton. Thats a damn good team with p4p the best manager in the premiership.

I think Everton was the toughest game we've played all season. 

I don't know if you guys dominated our midfield the whole game either—control shifted in diff. phases of the game. It was better than anyone we've played against so far. 

"On the field, I came away from Sunday’s game shaking my head. That performance by Arsenal against Evertonis exactly why they will not win the league this season. Champions win those games. Champions take advantage of their rivals’ slip-ups and put their foot on the pedal. I give great credit to Everton – and we’ll get to Roberto Martinez in a moment – but that draw is why the doubt is there for the Arsenal.

People say Arsene Wenger knows how to win titles, and that’s fair enough – but I’m not sure his players do. I remember in 1996, with Newcastle, when we slipped up: Arsenal came in and beat us, and that proved to be the nail in our coffin, as Manchester United went on to take a title I think we all thought we would win at Newcastle. Believe me when I say I know how damaging a result like this can be. It is early yet, but psychologically, this draw is damaging. It reveals some cracks in Arsenal and it gives hope to their rivals. I think Chelsea and Liverpool and Manchester City are all thinking that they’ve got a chance now against this Arsenal team."

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/arsenal-everton-liverpool-manchester-united-chelsea-manchester-city-epl-analysis-120813

Warren Barton 

Damn it. Thought yuse had. Well God speed to anyone brave (or stupid) enough to go out there. Stay in Sorento or Pompeii would be my best advice and only venture up to Naples on the day on whatever transport the useless Carabinieri lay on for Arsenal fans. 

Hail. 

speaking from experience (I hope not) ?

"On the field, I came away from Sunday’s game shaking my head. That performance by Arsenal against Evertonis exactly why they will not win the league this season. Champions win those games. Champions take advantage of their rivals’ slip-ups and put their foot on the pedal. I give great credit to Everton – and we’ll get to Roberto Martinez in a moment – but that draw is why the doubt is there for the Arsenal.

People say Arsene Wenger knows how to win titles, and that’s fair enough – but I’m not sure his players do. I remember in 1996, with Newcastle, when we slipped up: Arsenal came in and beat us, and that proved to be the nail in our coffin, as Manchester United went on to take a title I think we all thought we would win at Newcastle. Believe me when I say I know how damaging a result like this can be. It is early yet, but psychologically, this draw is damaging. It reveals some cracks in Arsenal and it gives hope to their rivals. I think Chelsea and Liverpool and Manchester City are all thinking that they’ve got a chance now against this Arsenal team."

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/arsenal-everton-liverpool-manchester-united-chelsea-manchester-city-epl-analysis-120813

Warren Barton 

I stopped reading/watching/listening to sports media about 5 years ago. They're all just trolling, insincere hype machines—they say something incendiary to get clicks. 

What does the losses and draws to Cardiff, Stoke City, Sunderland for City. A loss to United, LOSS to Everton, draw with Spurs (lol), loss to Newcastle? If a draw to Everton is a crack, what the hell are those? Gaping chasms? 

Going into Everton, Arsenal were on pace to put up 92 points—that wins the league in all but one year the past decade (going back to the Invincibles, coincidentally). 

Three inches down and to the left and Giroud's screamer goes in and Warren Barton is writing a puff piece on "Arsenal is the Real Thing".