Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

who is spains back line? lol... germany needs to be consistent and play as a unit

When you've got the attacking players the Spanish have, who's worried about the back end? But as you keep making the point, Casillas is arguably the best keeper in the World; Pique's developed into a real solid center half since he's been at Barcelona, Ramos is as solid an experienced a full back that's in the competition, and Javi Martinez will doubtless bring in some real big offers to tempt Bilbao this summer. And the two holding midfielders Busquetes and Alonso provide solid midfield cover. I wouldn't worry too much about the Spaniards at either end of the pitch.

The last thing I'd ever accuse the Germans of is not playing as a unit. In International terms, nine times out of ten their the ultimate team. Often not pretty, but effective as all heck and they more often than not just do enough to progress and still be in there at the end. As opposed to say the Netherlands who often have all the talent going, but lack the mentality and maturity to see it through.

Simple rule of thumb for any World Cup or European Nations Cup finals. NEVER write off the Italians or Germans. No matter how bad or lacking in quality they may look. When it comes to knock-out tournament soccer, their the past masters.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

who is spains back line? lol... germany needs to be consistent and play as a unit

They will do that - they always do - but I'm not sure they have quite the quality to go all the way. I think the Netherlands have that quality.

They will do that - they always do - but I'm not sure they have quite the quality to go all the way. I think the Netherlands have that quality.

The Dutch will doubtless implode again. Something will erupt within that camp as always does with the Dutch and their mentality to deprive them yet again. Not liking Holland at all when it get's to the business end. The weakness at the back will cost them when it all tightens up.

Hail.

yup whose worried about defense. offense wins.. ramos is solid?? solid at what? he's a liability in the defense... true he comes forward like many backs but hes lean and can get pushed off the ball easily. peque is good but lacks speed. the spanish win in the midfield and their forwards.. but last time i checked defense wins in any sport..

the spanish come forward allot and that is a huge mistake... italy will abuse that and will counter and play solid counter attack defensive game to frustrate the Spaniards...

the german team is good but not great. yes they dont play as a unit. sorry but many of there players are over rated.... bayern munich was led by a dutchman and swinstigger still is overrated.. klose is a good poucher but he doesnt offer anything in defense.

and whose consitant spain? spain got on a run the last couple years but i dont see them winning it all.. the germans are consistant but im not impressed.. the best defender in the bundesliga is a kyriakos papadopolous and hes only 20. thats not a good thing when a 20 year old is the best defender in your league..

Shinji Kagawa for £12 million, I would have thought Dortmund would at least held out for 20million, considering how much Lille got for Hazard.

That's Utd's Asian profits gone through the roof.

Regardless of if he's a success or not in England, the Far East merchandising alone will pay for that transfer.

---------- Post added June-5th-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

The last two major International tournaments, the Spaniards have conceded a grand total of ZERO goals in 7 knock-out games against Germany twice, Italy, Russia, Portugal, Paraguay and the Netherlands. With the main bulk of this squad being victorious in 2008 and '10.

That's one shoddy record for a team that's a liability at the back huh?

And I must profess I've never seen the young Schalke defender play. But I sure as heck hope he's better than the one Greek I had the mis-pleasure of watching first hand for a few years; the big lumbering buffoon that is Soto Krygiakos.

Hail.

I wouldn't be surprised if England doesn't even come out of group play. I mean when your core consists of 6 Liverpool players it just doesn't look good.

the question is...Did Liverpool finish 8th because Kenny believed in English players? Or is England bad because of Liverpool? I really can't name many good English players on the teams that finished ahead of Liverpool (barring the injured player that were already on the team)

I wouldn't be surprised if ROI doesn't come out of group play. Tough group with Spain, Italy and Croatia

---------- Post added June-5th-2012 at 06:56 PM ----------

Great story on Sportscenter just now about FC Start and their defiance against the Nazis in 1943. I criticize ESPN a lot for being garbage, but that is one rare outstanding piece of reporting they've done. Props to them. Absolutely touching

Edited by ixcuincle

the question is...Did Liverpool finish 8th because Kenny believed in English players? Or is England bad because of Liverpool? I really can't name many good English players on the teams that finished ahead of Liverpool (barring the injured player that were already on the team)

Hey man thanks for letting Ren and I play on your team last night. Had a great time. Picked up a nice bruise on my left foot. :)

Hey man thanks for letting Ren and I play on your team last night. Had a great time. Picked up a nice bruise on my left foot. :)

Absolutely...thanks for coming out. I think the next game is in your backyard. I will message you this week. By the way, I think a couple of us are going to the Irish Channel (in Crofton) on Sunday around noontime to watch Italy v Spain followed by Ireland v Croatia....you two are welcome to join us

I think a case could easily be made for:

Phil Jagielka - Everton

Micah Richards - Manchester City

Adam Johnson - Manchester City

Paul Scholes - Manchester United

Michael Carrick - Manchester United

Maybe Ryan and Steven Taylor of Newcastle, though maybe a stretch.

I think there were some guys in the lower half who could've made the squad and probably deserved it, most notably Grant Holt of Norwich.

Phil Jagielka - Everton

I think there were some guys in the lower half who could've made the squad and probably deserved it, most notably Grant Holt of Norwich.

I thought Micah was not interested in being a squad player, but I have no Idea why he can't make it into the starting line up.

I think Adam Johnson is better than Downing, even though Downing has played better for country than club

I though Jagielka made the squad, but Kelly offers flexibility.

Carrick retired from the National team

I would rather have Henderson for the future than Scholes on the team

Phil Jagielka - Everton

Jagielka was the first outfield player called up after the first original squad member, Barry, went down. Richards and Johnson should of been in the original 23 for me. But Richards ruind his chances of replacing Cahill by refusing to be on the stand-by list, hence Kelly's call-up. Without actually saying it before a major tournament, Hodgson has been tasked with rebuilding for the future, so Scholes was a complete no-go and would of been a shockingly backward step at 38. Carrick, like Richards, refused to be on the stand-by list or else he'd of probably been in Poland now.

As regards the 6 Liverpool players currently in the squad, personally, I'd of had 3, maybe 4. Johnson would of been backing up Richards at right back for me. Kelly would of been one of my 4 center backs. (Why he played so few times last year is anyone's guess. Outside of Agger he's Liverpool's most solid defender, who rarely puts a foot wrong.). Gerrard goes without saying, even if he is on the wane and the downside of his career sadly now through age and injury catching up. Say's it all about the dirth of talent when even at that he's the most influential player England have. Downing and Carrol could of gone either way. The way Carrol's game improved all round as the year went on, culminating in his strong finish; you'd probably of taken him for something different and the mere fact there's very little choice attack wise. And Downing, although his form this year shouldn't have him anywhere near an International squad, would probably of made most peoples lists as the wide options aren't exactly overflowing. What in Gods name Jordan fricking Henderson is doing out there heck only knows.

So Liverpool having the biggest contingent of players in the England squad for the Nations Cup has more to do with the top clubs having a small pool of English players in the main; and some very substandard ones at that making it all much of a muchness.

I'd love to see some lesser players from lower clubs who deserve a chance get it at International level, but that's never been the way it works in England. Successive England managers going way back have, in the main, picked the bulk of their squads from 4 or 5 big clubs, regardless of whether those players deserve it or not. And I don't see the B/S politics changing anytime soon sadly.

Hail.

I agree that having Scholes in it would've been backwards, but still a quality player. I hadn't realized Jagielka had been called up. I had heard that Richards and Carrick refused the stand by list. I think if they had remained the squad would've been stronger, though Kelly isn't a bad choice by any means.

Some fans sad not to participate in the Euro 2012 festivities, had the original idea of selling their services. The highest bidder wins the right to be so supported by this group of Red Devils.

The message of Belgian fans is: "Sale of Belgian fans in new condition no longer served since the 2002 World Cup. We will watch the games, will carry the colors, maybe even buy us flag. We will also learn the national anthem. Photos and videos will be taken and sent to the winning bidder. A slight hooliganism is available at extra cost. We can, for example, launch a pigeon or smoke in a non-smoking area if it pleases to our buyer.

Once the team is eliminated, we will weep for 24 hours, then we will get back on eBay. All proceeds will be sent directly to Unicef. "

belgium1.jpg

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/More-than-15-000-Belgian-football-fans-will-root-for-your-team-during-euro-2012-/140765009787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_123&hash=item20c63f977b

Currently €635.00

Chemical foul play in EURO 2012 football shirts

Edited by FrFan

the german team is good but not great. yes they dont play as a unit. sorry but many of there players are over rated.... bayern munich was led by a dutchman and swinstigger still is overrated.. klose is a good poucher but he doesnt offer anything in defense.

and whose consitant spain? spain got on a run the last couple years but i dont see them winning it all.. the germans are consistant but im not impressed.. the best defender in the bundesliga is a kyriakos papadopolous and hes only 20. thats not a good thing when a 20 year old is the best defender in your league..

Not sure where to go with this but saying that Schweinsteiger is overrated is silly. Sure this year he was slowed down by a nagging injury but WHEN he is in form he is one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world. The question now is his health and fitness. Again if he is in full form he will likely be one of the best midfielders in the tourney, IMO. Not sure why Klose has to offer anything in defense when he is an out and out striker. I think he does a good job of applying pressure when the Germans loose possession. Regardless, Klose will be coming off the bench when a goal/spark is needed. The number 1 striker will clearly be Mario Gomez.

Also, I've been sensing a little Hellas bias in your posts ;) but saying that papadopulous is the best defender in the bundesliga is a bit shortsighted to say the least. While he is a good young player and certainly on his way to becoming a very good defender, he is not quite the best in the bundesliga at the moment.

Um, do you even watch German soccer?

If you think that Germany is good but not great, then I wonder if you think that any team is great. Right now, Germany is clearly in the top 5 around the world. They defend well, have a great midfield, and several world-class strikers. Their biggest obstacles at the Euros will be Holland (who they get in group stages, so won't face until finals) and Spain. No other Euro team is close to those 3.

As far a Bayern go, yes their main attacking mid-fielders are Dutch and French, but the engine that runs that team is German (even if you can't spell Schweinsteiger correctly). He is one of the best overall midfielders in the game, so I think he'll do there. Also, don't know if you heard of this guy named Neuer, but he's not a bad GK. Lahm, Badstuber, and Boateng all play very well for the National team (as well as Bayern).

The main reason that Germany does so well is that they keep almost all of their good players in the Bundesliga. These teams play similar styles which allow the players to come together more easily than those with players spread around the globe.

Finally, with Spain and Germany out of your list, who do you think will win the Euros?

Loew makes Germany iconic.

Germany and Spain are my favorites to go deep in Euro 2012.

Can't wait for Euro 2012. Was channel surfing yesterday, happened to stumble upon an promo for Euro 2012, and they had that ESPN "World Cup" Music. ESPN's World Cup music is absolutely transcendent.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 11:03 AM ----------

246570_10150833766022143_366689452142_9974471_682695790_n.jpg

..... Germany and Spain are my favorites to go deep in Euro 2012. .....

Provided they both win their respective groups, then that would be my repeat final.

If the Dutch win group B (Can't see anything other than the Spanish winning their group), and Germany ends up playing Spain in the semi; then I'll take Italy to triumph over the Netherlands in the other semi-final and meet Spain in the final.

With Spain becoming the first ever Country to retain the European Nations Cup and thus the first European Country to be victorious in three successive major International tournaments.

Which would be one HELL of an achievement for Spains golden generation. Just retaining the European Championship would be magnificent in itself as the Euro's are often much harder to win, with a much higher overall standard than the World Cup; which has gotten WAY too big and WAY too sanitised for FIFA's own good.

Hail.

Not sure where to go with this but saying that Schweinsteiger is overrated is silly. Sure this year he was slowed down by a nagging injury but WHEN he is in form he is one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world. The question now is his health and fitness. Again if he is in full form he will likely be one of the best midfielders in the tourney, IMO. Not sure why Klose has to offer anything in defense when he is an out and out striker. I think he does a good job of applying pressure when the Germans loose possession. Regardless, Klose will be coming off the bench when a goal/spark is needed. The number 1 striker will clearly be Mario Gomez.

Also, I've been sensing a little Hellas bias in your posts ;) but saying that papadopulous is the best defender in the bundesliga is a bit shortsighted to say the least. While he is a good young player and certainly on his way to becoming a very good defender, he is not quite the best in the bundesliga at the moment.

gomez is overrated come on.. they do not have a true striker and yes he is the best defender. what more can you ask from a man play cb, rb and def mid. and still score goals ... who is better than him in the german league.. and yes of course biased but who doesnt here have a bias?

no mention of the other youth in the u-19 group that almost won it all for hellas lol.. i like it that way just like 04 haters are gonna hate. guess gotta go for it again like 04

...... i like it that way just like 04 haters are gonna hate. guess gotta go for it again like 04

Worst team to EVER win an International tournament bar NONE! I can see why the flair and imagination of the Spaniards don't float your boat when the only time Greece has ever gotten out of the groups was with that dour, sterile, ubber defensive side. Not that I blame the Greeks. You play to your strengths and cut your cloth accordingly. But man was it horrid to sit through as the Greeks bored their way to victory.

If your gona' 'go for it again like 04', then at least I can be sure of a good hour and a half's sleep whilst the Greece matches are on.

Guess that makes me a 'hater.' :cool:

Hail.

*Edit* And if 80 goals in 97 games for his club the last two years, including a phenomenal 21 in 22 Champions League games; not to mention a darn good International record of a goal every 2.3 Internationals or so (22 goals in 52 games for Germany); makes Mario Gomez 'overrated', then I'd just love to read your definition of someone who isn't.

You might want to cut back on the slamming of major football Nations as your beginning to sound more than a tad biased. Not to say ridiculous. Which is compounded even more coming from a, with no disrespect intended, minor soccer Nation such as Greece.

Germany wins the Eurocup, write it down.

England, Italy don't make it out of their groups.

Picks anyone?

1st Round:

A: Czech, Russia, Greece, Poland

B: Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Portugal (I'm from Uruguay.....never, ever, ever underestimate the Danes.)

C: Spain, Ireland, Croatia, Italy

D: France, Ukraine, Sweden, England

Quarters:

Czech v Denmark -> Czech

Spain v Ukraine -> Ukraine

Germany v Russia -> Germany

France v Ireland -> France

Semis:

Czech v Ukraine -> Ukraine

Germany v France -> Germany

Final:

Ukraine v Germany -> Germany

Trying hard to think why a Uruguayan would have anything against the Danes Rodriggo man?

Still holding a grudge from the 6-1 ass whooping back in '86 from that wonderful, Laudrup inspired 'Danish Dynamite' side of the mid 80's?

Hail.

*Edit* You don't read as though you have a 'grudge' per se. More a long memory, lol.

Sorry man, that was too good not to share, particularly the Michael Laudrup goal:

Trying hard to think why a Uruguayan would have anything against the Danes Rodriggo man?

Still holding a grudge from the 6-1 ass whooping back in '86 from that wonderful, Laudrup inspired 'Danish Dynamite' side?

Hail.

*Edit* You don't read as though you have a 'grudge' per se. More a long memory, lol.

Um, yeah. :) and the 2-1 they gave us in Ulsan, SK...I was there. That team, Uruguay, had more talent than the 2010 team....was there too.

Edited by Rodriggo
grammar