Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Philly DC's Biggest Sports Rival City (Currently)?

ACW

I say yes.

Yeah, the Pens might be the TEAM with the biggest rivalry against one of our teams; then HISTORICALLY there's the Cowboys (I actually dislike the Eagles and Giants as much as the Cowboys); but think about it:

-Eagles are one of the Skins' top 5 (if not top 3) rivals

-Phillies are the Nats' biggest rival (or top 3 at least)

-Flyers and Caps are rivals

Only team not there is the 76ers.

Ehh, to be honest, it's more the fans of Philly I despise. Sports wise, it's Dallas and Pittsburgh.

And Cleveland. Though that's not going to last. If it's not dead already. Miami is a more natural rival anyway as they're in the same division as the Wiz.

But Miami fans are so weak I doubt I'll get the same pleasure out of talking **** to them as I got out of Cleveland fans. Sad in a way. The end of an era. The end of a rivalry.

And Cleveland. Though that's not going to last. If it's not dead already. Miami is a more natural rival anyway as they're in the same division as the Wiz.

But Miami fans are so weak I doubt I'll get the same pleasure out of talking **** to them as I got out of Cleveland fans. Sad in a way. The end of an era. The end of a rivalry.

Yeah, but, the rivalry vs. Cleveland is not even close to the rivalry with the Pittsburgh and I won't even mention Dallas.

Yeah, but, the rivalry vs. Cleveland is not even close to the rivalry with the Pittsburgh and I won't even mention Dallas.

Oh I'm not saying it's of the same intensity as Dallas (I can comment on Pittsburgh.) I was just listing them as a rival.

And honestly, personally, I hate the Cowboy fanbase more than the Cavs but I hate the city o Cleveland more than I hate Dallas. If that makes sense.

Well, I only hate Cavs fans because my Dad is from Cleveland and I've been there and it's not as bad as people say. Pretty cool actually. Jacobs Field is gorgeous (it will always be Jacobs not Progressive).

But yes, I don't really hate the city of Dallas itself.

As for Pittsburgh, the Caps/Penguins have been going at it in the playoffs since the early 90's and all but once we've found a way to lose/choke. F Pittsburgh.

I hate Dallas, but their fans aren't really so bad. I can watch a Skins/Gurls game, have fun and a mutual respect for that person. However, I can't stand Steeler/Ravens fans, they are some of the most ignorant people I've ever seen. One of my good friends is a Steelers fan (never even been to Pitt) and defends them and Big Ben like he's the messiah.

Eh, not really in my opinion.

As much as I hate Philly fans, I really hate fans from Pittsburgh. I am still bitter over the 2008 Monday night game and the 2009 NHL playoffs.

Dallas-its only the Cowboys we care about

Philly has the Eagles and Flyers but I dont think they really care about the Nationals and I really don't give 2 ****s about the Phillies right now.

In time, with a few more playoff games/series it could be. I just don't think it is

Except the Skins and Steelers don't really have a rivalry. Just the Pens. Not to mention, while Pittsburgh fans can be obnoxious (even a coworker of mine-a Steelers fan-admits this), Philly fans are just

ass_hole.jpg

Eh don't agree. It's gotta be Dallas first (since this is a football town) then Pittsburgh.

Nats v. Philly? Nats aren't good enough to have a rivalry.

Maybe it's because the Skins haven't done much in awhile but I tend to hate the NY teams almost on par with Dallas. Hate the Giants and the Rangers teams and fans.

In terms of football anyway, Philly is its own biggest rival/foil. Nobody does it to Philly the way they do it to themselves. (Dallas is second, I'd say.)

For general rival-city status, much of the time I think Philly is looking at NYC... but NYC doesn't seem to care much. There's so much indulgent self-loathing in the Philly area, I can't say they hate any other city more than their own.

I'm not sure DC registers very high up here. A couple of seasons ago I put on my Skins cap and went out actively looking for arguments with Philly fans for fun, and only got one bite in three months of daily effort. I was not impressed.

On the fan level, yes. Eagles fans LOATHE the Redskins (some even more than Dallas). If the Nats ever get competitive, I can see a Phillies-Nationals rivalry getting heated. Also, the cities are in fairly close proximity to each other (the train ride can't be any more than 60-90 minutes). Philly and Baltimore don't like Washington and vice versa.

cleveland? how? because of one sport really? its defintely pittsburgh and phila

Pittsburgh? How? Because of one sport really?

Besides, DC is really a basketball town more than anything. We've just had ****ty teams for so long that people (especially the newer generation) don't recognize it anymore or don't understand the history. I'm not including the suburbs in this.

Pittsburgh? How? Because of one sport really?

Besides, DC is really a basketball town more than anything. We've just had ****ty teams for so long that people (especially the newer generation) don't recognize it anymore or don't understand the history. I'm not including the suburbs in this.

Um are you serious? The Redskins could literally not win a game for the next 4 seasons and still ppl will give a damn...the Wizards have been relevant maybe 3 times in the last 30 years

Except the Skins and Steelers don't really have a rivalry. Just the Pens. Not to mention, while Pittsburgh fans can be obnoxious (even a coworker of mine-a Steelers fan-admits this), Philly fans are just

ass_hole.jpg

I spent years living in Western PA surrounded by Steeler fans. Trust me, they don't hate or care about the Redskins at all. When our camps were close, they kind of liked us because we'd scrimmage, and we both hate Dallas. They hate Cleveland and Cincy...and kind of shrug off Baltimore.

Nats v. Philly? Nats aren't good enough to have a rivalry.

I'll point out one quick fact here before making my big point. While the Nationals are not in contention this year, the Nats record against the Phillies this year is 4-5, with nine more games to play, so it's not as if we're rolling over for them.

Anyway, regarding the OP question, the answer is that Philly certainly has the potential to be #1 overall, simply because all of our major teams play in the same conference/division etc.

Football: Eagles and Skins are huge rivals, in same division.

Baseball: Phillies and Nats are in same division, Nats need to be more competitive overall.

Hockey: Caps and Flyers are in same conference, but not same division, and the games are usually very close and contested. There is mutual dislike on both sides.

Basketball: Same conference, but not same division. Neither team particularly good at the moment.

College BBall: As someone said, G-Town-Villanova is a pretty big game.

But like I said, the potential is there for Philly to be #1 overall, simply because of the competitive/playoff possibilities and the proximity of the cities. Baltimore would be up there, but they only have two teams and neither is in the same conference. We all hate the Cowboys but there's not even a spark of a Wizards-Mavericks rivalry, or Nats-Rangers, or Caps-Stars.

The only other possibility would be New York on a number of levels. Nats-Mets is a divisonal rivalry, as are the Giants-Skins. Wizards-Knicks doesn't have much to it, but they are the same conference. The Caps could have had something good with the Rangers after that 7 games playoff series, coupled with the Brashear hit on Blair Betts, but then Brash wound up on the Rangers of all teams.

Other things to consider...the power rivalry of New York-Washington, the glitzy, Wall Street, glamour city vs. the conservative, government run, power city. The historical Georgetown-St. Johns rivalry. On the downside, the Mets aren't even New York's #1 baseball team, I'm not sure who is more popular between the Giants and Jets. And the fact that New York and Boston already have a mutual dislike that we can't approach.

So my vote is for Philly on potential alone, with New York as a potential second. Otherwise, we don't have one.

Archived