Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Philly DC's Biggest Sports Rival City (Currently)?

ACW

As for why they have an irrational hatred of the Skins, you're guess is a good as mine. Most of my friends that are Raven fans don't seem to dislike the Skins. So I guess I need to venture to a Ravens bar one Sunday with Skins gear on and see what happens lol.

I would add that the older Baltimoreans who rooted for the Baltimore Colts seem to have more of a hatred toward the Redskins. It may not be as strong among the younger crowd that grew up without the Colts, but old-school B-more folks definitely hate the Skins. In fact, if they had embraced the Skins, they might never have gotten the Browns to move there. Baltimore reached out to Art Moddell and built him a new stadium because they refused to adopt the Skins as their own.

...but still doesn't show that DC is a basketball town.

That's because, quite simply, DC is NOT a professional basketball town. It has a rich history of amateur basketball (high school and college), but is NOT a professional basketball city. People get that confused all the time and spout off the cliche that "DC is a basketball town first and foremost" without discerning between the Bullets and what makes DC a basketball town (Morgan Wooten, John Thompson, etc.).

On topic...I think Philly is a good choice for city-to-city rival, but it's an odd question since every sports team within a city will develop its own rivalries (Redskins have Dallas, Caps have Pittsburgh, etc.).

Very few cities have another city that meshes well to be a full-blown rival for 4 seasons.

Well I consider 8 playoff matchups in less than 20 years to not be a "new-fangled" rivalry. Flyers-Caps goes back further but it has mostly been confined to the regular season compared to the Penguins rivalry.

I'm just saying...if you had grown up in the 80s hating the Flyers, you'd understand.

I know the Caps have a lot of playoff history in the last 20 years with the Penguins...and I'm not saying I like the Penguins. I'm just saying that when I first cut my teeth watching the Caps 25-30 years ago, the Penguins were terrible and the Flyers were dispicable, dirty goons, and their fans were even worse. I grew to hate the Flyers more than any other hockey team, and events of the last 20 years haven't changed that. Back then, we were in the same division with the Flyers too, so that only added to the rivalry.

I can't imagine ever disliking a hockey player the way I disliked Ron Hextall. One of the dirtiest SOBs to ever play the game. The quintessential Philadelphia Flyer.

I'm just saying...if you had grown up in the 80s hating the Flyers, you'd understand.

I know the Caps have a lot of playoff history in the last 20 years with the Penguins...and I'm not saying I like the Penguins. I'm just saying that when I first cut my teeth watching the Caps 25-30 years ago, the Penguins were terrible and the Flyers were dispicable, dirty goons, and their fans were even worse. I grew to hate the Flyers more than any other hockey team, and events of the last 20 years haven't changed that. Back then, we were in the same division with the Flyers too, so that only added to the rivalry.

I can't imagine ever disliking a hockey player the way I disliked Ron Hextall. One of the dirtiest SOBs to ever play the game. The quintessential Philadelphia Flyer.

I do understand. As I said, the Flyers rivalry goes back further. They are still dirty goons (not like Bobby Clarke and the Bullies but still) and their fans are still pieces of crap.

And the NHL needs to go back to the old division system. The Patrick division would be great today.

For DC, I would have to say that yes, Philly is probably #1 as a whole. There are other cities with big rivalries, but really only in one sport. There is no rivalry between the Caps and Stars, or the Wizards and Mavs, or Nats/O's and Rangers.

For Dallas, ours is a little more confusing because of our central location, and how we are in the west in NHL, NBA, and MLB and the east in the NFL. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Anaheim/LA as our top rival city because it's the only city that has Dallas rivals in more than one sport...unless you want to count San Jose and Oakland together as the bay area.

NFL: Washington, Philly, New York

NBA: San Antonio, Houston

MLB: Oakland, Anaheim/LA, Seattle

NHL: Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Phoenix

For DC, I would have to say that yes, Philly is probably #1 as a whole. There are other cities with big rivalries, but really only in one sport. There is no rivalry between the Caps and Stars, or the Wizards and Mavs, or Nats/O's and Rangers.

For Dallas, ours is a little more confusing because of our central location, and how we are in the west in NHL, NBA, and MLB and the east in the NFL. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Anaheim/LA as our top rival city because it's the only city that has Dallas rivals in more than one sport...unless you want to count San Jose and Oakland together as the bay area.

I always wondered why they don't just put Houston in the AL West. That way it balances out the leagues and you get a nice Rangers/Astros rivalry.

How for the NHL could you not put Detroit? Detroit vs. Dallas were some of the most entertaining games outside of Colorado vs. Detroit in the 90s.

Another point that might be interesting is how rivalries change over the years. It might alternate from several teams but the primary rivals can change.

I think there are times I hate and want to beat Philly or NY more than Dallas. There are also times I hate (nhl) Buffalo or Philly fans more than Pittsburgh.

For example. I hate the Penguins but I really don't care about the regular season matches. We have dominated them lately but it doesn't translate to when it matters in the post-season that takes away from the rivalry. But the year after Philly knocked us out in 08 ... I couldn't wait for that next regular season match.

I always wondered why they don't just put Houston in the AL West. That way it balances out the leagues and you get a nice Rangers/Astros rivalry.

The problem is that you can't have an odd number of teams in both leagues. One team would be left out unless there is always one interleague series going on at all times. But I agree that if the Rangers and Astros were in the same league (same with the Texans and Cowboys), then Houston would easily be our #1 rival city. Until then, I really don't care about the Astros. It's fun beating them every year like we've been doing recently. But I don't hope they lose every game like I do with the Angels.

How for the NHL could you not put Detroit? Detroit vs. Dallas were some of the most entertaining games outside of Colorado vs. Detroit in the 90s.

I thought about adding more, like Detroit and Colorado (Denver) to NHL, but I decided to just list division rivals. But yeah, those two can be included as well. Same goes with San Francisco and Green Bay in the NFL.

There is no way DC is a basketball town, since when? The Bullets/Wizards haven't won a title in 30 years and last year no one was talking about the Wizards.

Were you refuting to my post, or just quoting it as a starting point? :D

The problem is that you can't have an odd number of teams in both leagues. One team would be left out unless there is always one interleague series going on at all times. But I agree that if the Rangers and Astros were in the same league (same with the Texans and Cowboys), then Houston would easily be our #1 rival city. Until then, I really don't care about the Astros. It's fun beating them every year like we've been doing recently. But I don't hope they lose every game like I do with the Angels.

No it would work if the Astros moved over because there are 16 in the NL and 14 in the AL. There are 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 in the AL West. So this would put 15 teams in both leagues and 5 teams in each division. As of right now, when interleague is going on there is always one NL series going on because 2 NL teams get left out.

No it would work if the Astros moved over because there are 16 in the NL and 14 in the AL. There are 6 teams in the NL Central and 4 in the AL West. So this would put 15 teams in both leagues and 5 teams in each division. As of right now, when interleague is going on there is always one NL series going on because 2 NL teams get left out.

But 15 and 15 would mean that for the majority of the season (non-interleague) you'd have a team in each league with either an off-series or having to play an interleague series.

But 15 and 15 would mean that for the majority of the season (non-interleague) you'd have a team in each league with either an off-series or having to play an interleague series.

yep, it could really only work if two more expansion teams came in. Then it'd be an easy 16 and 16. The thing I like about being a fan of the AL West is that since we only have three other teams in our division, it kinda makes the rivalries more intimate. I don't like the A's or Mariners, but the Angels are definitely #1 on my hate list within the division.

Unfair comparison. The Capitals have sold out every home game since midway through the 2008-2009 season. They are only 11th because the other hockey arenas hold more than 18,277.

I think it goes without saying that a city that is majority black is always going to love hockey and be indifferent towards basketball. I remember being a poor child in the projects and waiting for the first day when dad could freeze the parking lot with a garden hose.

I get utterly bored with the "Let's define DC culture" threads that think that DC is Reston.

I think it goes without saying that a city that is majority black is always going to love hockey and be indifferent towards basketball. I remember being a poor child in the projects and waiting for the first day when dad could freeze the parking lot with a garden hose.

I get utterly bored with the "Let's define DC culture" threads that think that DC is Reston.

Yo Clarenden Grill B****es!

Agree. I mean you have to be realistic. For one' date=' the NBA is just a much better marketed league than the NHL. The NHL needs to get back on ESPN immediately.

[b']And D.C. is 56% black and that is significantly lower than it has been in decades[/b]; chances are it's going to enjoy basketball more than hockey and that is not a racist statement in any way, it's just the way it is.

Didn't want to mention where I already stated that?

Archived