Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: 100 greatest players show (only 2 Skins?)

hail2skins

I'm surprised Monk isn't mentioned in any of this......

It really shouldn't be that surprising considering he was constantly left out of the HOF for many years him not in the greatest 100 players wouldn't shock me one bit and it's a shame what he did in his career was amazing and unheard of at the time.

All I'm saying is that even though I've never seen Baugh play in person or even a full Redskins game between the years 1937 to 1952, how can you say that a man who lead the league in punting, passing, and interceptions in one season (something no one has done before or since, if memory serves me correctly) doesn't belong in the top 5? Even in an era when players were expected to play both sides of the ball, he was head and shoulders above them all.

Have any of the people deciding these things actually watched a 1930's game tape? I'm pretty sure most of us here would have seen such a thing if it actually existed outside some NFL vault. That's a real shame in my opinion. I'd never suffer through an offseason again if I could just watch a random season from before my time every year, I know which ones end in championships and that the first 11 games in '91 are wins but beyond that the weekly results would be surprises.

I've seen that same Baugh highlight tape they air any time his name comes up on any network a dozen times, what I want to see is an entire game of his. The tapes exist somewhere.

From what I know Sabol got together like 70 people--HOF voters, scouts, GM's, coaches, etc--and they watched over 4,000,000 feet of film from the NFL Films vaults. So it's supposed to be pretty thorough.

I was actually gonna start a thread on this on the ATN board. See who people think the #1 greatest player of all time will be. I think a lot of people would say Jim Brown but Sabol said that while Jim Brown is the greatest ballcarrier of all time, Walter Payton is the greatest all around RB of all time. It's hard for me cause I'm only in my 20's so I didn't see most of these people play, but off the top of my head I think I'd have to say Jerry Rice.

Sammy Baugh is a no brainer but after that it's pretty close. For me Ken Houston or Charlie Taylor are the next best Redskins of all time. I think that most of you are right though it will be Green. He was the fastest man in the NFL and he played a very long time especally at that position!

Chicago understandable but how does Dallas have so many players on the list unless this list is limited to the SB era - which I have to assume it is otherwise GB should have a ton on there?

If it is just SB era I assume it is Riggins and Green?

Agreed!! He had many a records til a guy named Rice came along.

Baugh and DG will probably be in the list.

Monk deserves it. Riggo is down the list of best RBs ever so he will not be on the list. Sonny has a chance but then again there are numerous QBs ahead of him.

So look for DG and Sammy. Once again Art Monk will be overlooked for how great of a WR he was.

Green and Baugh are the gimmies on this list. Which mean Charlie Taylor and Art Monk are gonna get screwed (as usual).

I can accept Riggins and Jurgensen getting bumped since as much as I love them both as a Skins fan, if I was forced to make a top 100 with every position represented, I can put at least 5-10 RBs/QBs in front of them.

Chicago understandable but how does Dallas have so many players on the list unless this list is limited to the SB era - which I have to assume it is otherwise GB should have a ton on there?

If it is just SB era I assume it is Riggins and Green?

Dallas will probably have Roger Staubach, Randy White, Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith. Aikman I'd say is borderline. Irvin will probably be on the list, but he shouldn't be.

Ken Houston was the best Strong Safety I've seen in 40 years of watching the NFL. Should be a no-brainer, but I'm sure he'll be left off.

I agree with you, it's unfortunate he gets over looked, even by our own fans. If you ran a poll who was the greatest saftey in Redskin history, Sean Taylor would proabley win it! Ken Houston is top 5 all-time at his position, is there any other Redskin that we can say that about? No.

Well, it's ironic because Ken Houston IS on the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team along with Rod Woodson at safety :)

And he is in the Hall of Fame........................

I have never understood why the Redskins didn't extend the 'big tent' to Houston and withhold his jersey from use the way they have with Charley Taylor, Sonny Jurgensen, Joe Theismann and others.

He clearly deserves it.

I love Monk, but he doesn't deserve to be on the list. Neither does Riggins.

Look at it this way, there are 100 players on the list for 22 starting positions. So for a position like WR or RB, there will probably be about 10. A few positions such as safety, fullback & TE will be underrepresented but QB will undoubtedly be overrepresented. Hopefully the won't ignore the lines.

Do you honestly think Art Monk was one of the top 10 WRs ever to play the game? Yes he had the receiving record when he retired but he's 14th now and falling.

And Riggins isn't close to a top 10 of all time back - Jim Brown, Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Dickerson, Dorsett, OJ, Tomlinson, & Marcus Allen just off the top of my head were all better and that's not counting any old timers.

Vince Lombardi is quoted as saying that Sonny Jurgeson was the best QB he ever saw play. What really gets me is they like to compare QBs from Sonny's era to QBs from the 90s & today. There is no comparision in Sonny's day it was much harder to be a QB & a WR because the rules weren't tilted in their favorite. The dumbest thing the NFL ever did was change the bump & run rules. It's football not a track meet.:beavisnbutthead:

It really loosened up the defense and increase scoring, but it sucks IMO. Gifted guys can no longer excell at the corner position. No wonder alot just lay back and hope to lay wood or pick off a pass. What choice do they have.

I agree with you, it's unfortunate he gets over looked, even by our own fans. If you ran a poll who was the greatest saftey in Redskin history, Sean Taylor would proabley win it! Ken Houston is top 5 all-time at his position, is there any other Redskin that we can say that about? No.

qft. All of us would have loved to see Taylor challenge that. Houston was a legend if you ever watched him, if you didn't see him, you don't know what you were missing.

It really loosened up the defense and increase scoring, but it sucks IMO. Gifted guys can no longer excell at the corner position. No wonder alot just lay back and hope to lay wood or pick off a pass. What choice do they have.

Woodson and Harris are two of the better CBs in the league and they love playing the bump and run. Sure, the secondary takes more penalties than most, but I think the results are worth it.

Do you honestly think Art Monk was one of the top 10 WRs ever to play the game? Yes he had the receiving record when he retired but he's 14th now and falling.
I dunno. You got to include old guys like Don Hutson, and guys get faster and stronger every year. But if you compare Monk with his peers, the only objective and fair way to evaluate a player, could the case be made he was the second best WR of his time? (Jerry Rice being #1). Monk wasn't the fastest on his team but he was the best.

• 1 month later...
You don't retire with the all time receptions lead, and not make this list. Period, dot, end of discussion.

You'll have to be more specific. We had two receivers do that. I love Art Monk and I think he should have gone into the HOF much earlier than he did, but I don't think he was our best receiver ever. I'd put him on par with Bobby Mitchell with both of them behind Charley Taylor.

How long did Sam play for the Giants vs. his playing time with the Redskins? I think if you asked Sam, he'd prefer to be labeled a Redskin, at least thats what I garnered after watching "Brothers of a Legacy"

There are a couple of reasons for that. One, the Giants traded him and he was bitter as hell about it. Two, he has now been part of the Redskin family for about 45 years. But if you just take his playing career he was a Giant much more than a Redskin.

Archived