Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: 100 greatest players show (only 2 Skins?)

hail2skins

Yes Baugh will be in the top 10. My biggest complaint about Redskins players is Ken Houston not on the list. He would be the only Skin that is considered top 5 at his position all time.

As for non-Redskin players I think Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson in the the 40's in not high enough. Remember Walter Payton only led the NFL in rushing (one time) because in did it the year before Campbell's rookie season.

As already stated Jim Brown will be rated #1. It will be interesting who will be the top rated QB? You got Unitus, Montana, Manning, Graham. I think Marino was as good as those guys.

Emmitt Smith was ranked ahead of Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, O.J. Simpson, and Red Grange

Bob Lilly was ranked ahead of Bruce Smith, Alan Page, and Merlin Olsen.

Deion Sanders was ranked ahead of Rod Woodson, Mel Blount, and Darrell Green and was *almost* ranked ahead of Night Train Lane.

/sarcasm on

I'm loving this list.

/sarcasm off

Emmitt Smith was ranked ahead of Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, O.J. Simpson, and Red Grange

Bob Lilly was ranked ahead of Bruce Smith, Alan Page, and Merlin Olsen.

Deion Sanders was ranked ahead of Rod Woodson, Mel Blount, and Darrell Green and was *almost* ranked ahead of Night Train Lane.

/sarcasm on

I'm loving this list.

/sarcasm off

No historical context at all. That, or they're just a bunch of Cowboys lovers.

http://top100.nfl.com/

NFL Rank Rank Name Position Team First Year Status Career Watch

14 74 Baugh, Sammy QB Redskins 1937 Hall of Famer 22 seasons

Draft vote Sammy Baugh

Sammy Baugh

Sammy Baugh QB

* Drafted: 1937, Round 1, Pick 6

* Career: 16 seasons, 165 games

* Notes: An accurate thrower, Baugh's passing ability helped change the game. He won a record six NFL passing titles, while also setting marks as a punter and defensive back. He led the NFL in passing, punting and INTs in 1943.

Redskins Hall of FamerHof_logo

NFL Rank Rank Name Position Team First Year Status Career Watch

75 58 Green, Darrell DB Redskins 1983 Hall of Famer 15 seasons Video

Draft vote Darrell Green

Darrell Green

Darrell Green DB

* Drafted: 1983, Round 1, Pick 28

* Career: 20 seasons, 295 games

* Notes: With his blazing speed and covering ability, Green developed into a premier corner and remained one over his 20-season career. He had at least one INT in a record 19 straight years, and had a club-record 54 overall.

Redskins Hall of FamerHof_logo

You can probably count Sam Huff even though he went in as a Giant.

93 - Huff, Sam LB Giants 1956 Hall of Famer 13 seasons

The list is mostly of Puke, Packer, Raider, and Steeler players.

I swear, if I see another Packer on there, I will ****ing scream! I'm surprised the Packer waterboy isn't on the list!

I was under the impression that the list is of players who changed how the game was played and super dominant players, not a "who's who" via popularity list;

Now, I'm not going to say that the list should have most every Redskin player to ever play the game, but damn, when they're doing it with the above mentioned teams, it does lose creditability, and like in Green's case; he changed how teams played against the Skins, and was a huge influence. Monk was a dominant receiver in mostly running type teams, and Red Grange, Sammy Baugh, were players far ahead of their time in how the game was played, but instead we get Deion, who's mouth is a far better runner, Irvin, who's nose is still dusty, and, well, there's no point in going on because the damage is done already; I just shake my head when I hear about best of catagories being aired now...

The Redskins, if the number is actually 2, are both mathematically and realistically underrepresented on that list.

My guess is Baugh and Green. Houston might be on there and Sabol might have not thought of him as pure Redskin (just speculation, I know that there is a major discrepancy in seasons played between Houston and Washington).

Darrell Green fails to make this list the list is worthless. Well the list is worthless anyway even if he does make it. These top lists are just opinions and they never really say how they are compiled or the criteria. A Monkey could pulls names out of a hat with the top 1000 and it could be argued that they are the top 100. JMHO.

Truth.. Any greatest of all time list that doesn't include DG, isn't worth much

DG is in on the list at #75....fans rank him at 58. Sammy Baugh is #14 on the list...fans rank him at 74.

They will show the top 10 next Thursday (Nov. 4th). My guess is Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Reggie White, and Johnny Unitas will be on that list.

Peyton Manning will be in the top 10 with Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Reggie White, and someone else I can't think of at the moment because I THOUGHT Sammy Baugh was a shoo-in for top 10.

I guess I overestimated NFL network. Instead, Baugh is 14th. But then again, Deacon Jones got screwed over too.

When it's all said and done, the Cowboys and Bears will be tied for eight players each on the list.

I will forever disagree with Michael Irvin being on the list. Yeah, he won Super Bowls and was one of the best in the post season. But that entire Cowboys team was dominant, and the majority of Irvin's success is with one quarterback.

Guys like Tim Brown, Andre Reed, and Isaac Bruce all got the snub. Why? Don't say Super Bowls either, because there are plenty of players on this list without a ring.

Was Ronnie Lott that beastly? To be the 11th best professional football player of all ime? I'm 27 so I was 12 or so when he retired. I know the legends (the finger amputation is arguably the most badass sports story of all time) and I hear the talk, but I pretty much missed his playing days. Can an older fan break him down for me? Do you agree with his ranking? Thanks.

Oh and there is no ****ing way Joe Namath should be on that list over Sonny. That right there is my biggest, most specific beef.

Was Ronnie Lott that beastly? To be the 11th best professional football player of all ime? I'm 27 so I was 12 or so when he retired. I know the legends (the finger amputation is arguably the most badass sports story of all time) and I hear the talk, but I pretty much missed his playing days. Can an older fan break him down for me? Do you agree with his ranking? Thanks.

Oh and there is no ****ing way Joe Namath should be on that list over Sonny. That right there is my biggest, most specific beef.

Yes, he was that beastly...Sean Taylor was a Ronnie Lott clone. Lott DEFINED the modern day saftey.

Archived