Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Handshake Etiquette Question

Drew_Fl

So at the end of work today, my boss was just saying thanks for a good days work and offered me a hand shake. The weird thing is, he offered it with his left hand, and he didn't have anything other than a set of keys in his right.

It caught me off guard, and i did the over the top shake with my right hand, because my left hand had a set of keys in it, and i wouldn't have shaken with left hands anyways.

The setting isn't professional, just the backroom part of a retail store. I guess i handled it enough for it to not be awkward, but it kind of irked me.

What do you do if/when someone extends the left hand shake?

Do you feel compelled to count the cracks in the sidewalk on your way home, or do you have to shut the refrigerator door a certain number of times whenever you get a glass of milk?

I would not worry about it at all. I'd be pleased the boss offered me the congratulations for a job well done.

But I would have felt weird shaking with the left, too.

~Bang

Thank God. The handshake thread. I was waiting for this.

The limp handshake always bothers me, of course.

But know what drives me crazy? Somebody offers their hand to shake, so I reach forward, but before I can get the web of my hand securely in there, he grabs my fingers and begins shaking, leaving me with hardly any grasp at all. Apparently these people don't realize they do it.

My dad often shakes with his left hand these days, but that's because his right shoulder is destroyed. I've done both. I've shaken his left hand with my right, and my left. I don't know which is proper when shaking hands with someone who has an injury. I'd assume left to left, but propriety isn't quite as important when it's your father.

My dad often shakes with his left hand these days, but that's because his right shoulder is destroyed. I've done both. I've shaken his left hand with my right, and my left. I don't know which is proper when shaking hands with someone who has an injury. I'd assume left to left, but propriety isn't quite as important when it's your father.

When I worked in DC I had the opportunity to meet and shake hands with Bob Dole. He shook his left to your right sort of an overhand/backhand kind of deal.

Thank God. The handshake thread. I was waiting for this.

The limp handshake always bothers me, of course.

But know what drives me crazy? Somebody offers their hand to shake, so I reach forward, but before I can get the web of my hand securely in there, he grabs my fingers and begins shaking, leaving me with hardly any grasp at all. Apparently these people don't realize they do it.

You can tell a lot about someone from their handshake.

Among the worst...

A neighbor who I had been feuding with (gave me the hebie-jebies)

an ex-boss (handshake was so week that I could have been shaking hands with the air)-he was a REAL scoundrel.

Some social worker who refused my hand and was incredibly condescending.

This bothers the hell out of me also. I also believe that you can tell a lot about a person by their handshake. When I meet someone with a wussy hand shake, I feel like I could easily make them my *****. But when someone closes on my hand to early, I feel like I have to go out of my way to show that they can't make me their *****.

Left hand shake? Never noticed never cared. My dad destroyed his right shoulder in an accident and has a titanium plastic shoulder joint in there now. He shakes with his left hand so maybe that's why I don't care. I heard it's a big deal in some parts of the world but it's never been in the circles I've ran in.

When I initiate a shake it's with my right hand though so perhaps I've just avoided it ever coming up.

That's the worst man... hate that.

Dad taught me that a firm handshake is the first measure of a man when meeting a stranger. I always try to give a good one. In your scenario, I would have just used the left.

Sounds like King of the Hill when Hank shakes George Bush's hand and it's weak so he doesn't want to vote for him anymore.

Man, I was at a function for school last week and some guy was being introduced to the group, he would grab your hand and literally pull it up to face level, then slam it back down, and i mean with FORCE. Like he learned to shake hands from Bugs Bunny. It was off-putting to say the least.

My personal philosophy on shaking hands with other men is to grip just hard enough so that they realize that I am physically stronger than they are. :)

I heard it's a big deal in some parts of the world but it's never been in the circles I've ran in.

In some cultures where they now (or used to) use the left hand for, uh, cleanup, it is very rude to use one's left hand for anything, and an insult to offer it to another. I think this is mostly found in the Middle East and Persia.

Dad taught me that a firm handshake is the first measure of a man when meeting a stranger. I always try to give a good one. In your scenario, I would have just used the left.

I think this is way overblown. I always try to give a firm handshake. But I've always found it ridiculous that so much is made over people that don't. Its a friggin' HANDSHAKE for gawd's sake. It doesn't mean you are weak if you don't give a firm one. Doesn't mean you are Hercules if you DO give a firm one. Just stupid.

I can't imagine meeting someone for the first time and giving them a fist bump. haha.

I would have reached over awkwardly, but it would not have bothered me that much.

I guess I should have added this guy --->:silly: when I made that comment.

I enjoy giving "weak" handshakes... just because I know people make snap judgments of other people based on their handshake.

And afterwards, I will sleep with their wives... just to really mess them up.

After of course giving her a nice massage. ;)

I don't think my lady would go for that one though. She might murder me.

Archived