Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Android vs Iphone - Public Poll

TMK9973

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The phones are pretty evenly matched.

But your list was, at best, incredibly incomplete. I mean, you take pains to point out that "higher isn't necessarily better" when it comes to camera resolution (an EVO paper advantage), but you complete forget the same lesson when discussing screen resolution (an iPhone paper advantage). Many EVO advantages don't even appear on your list although they should. Maybe you were just trying to point out where the iPhone 4 advantages are, rather than provide a complete list that would show the EVO's many technical edges.

I think a person could be very happy with either phone. To me, iPhone ownership has more material drawbacks (higher cost, no provider choice, AT&T network reputation, closed platform, more limited user experience, no swappable battery, no swappable memory cards, etc.) but EVO has its own as well (Sprint customer service reputation, UI that still has to close the last 10% gap against Apple, tight music integration if you need that). To my eye, giving up a lot of material advantages in return for that last 10% of UI silkiness would be an incredibly poor choice.

But neither of us is everyone. To each his own.

One again, the higher megapixel count means absolutely nothing. So many more factors go into evaluating picture quality than megapixels. Are you going to be making some huge prints with your camera phone photos?

As far as screen resolution goes, the iPhone packs more pixels in a smaller space. If HTC did the same with the EVO, I would have been more impressed with a larger screen. Size doesn't always matter.

Well it works on my Sprint so can't be a carrier problem. Must be that damn apple OS ;)

:silly:

Why is Android the smarter buy? Why does it have greater potential? Because it is open source? I would say that being open source is actually hurting Android. If there were more strict guidelines, I think it would be even better.

I would love to know what devices you are talking about that are barely an upgrade. Apple is a company that is for the most part, on the cutting edge of technology.

Why buy the Evo when 4G is barely accessible yet? Not to mention having to pay a $10 premium for 4G service.

Android is a great OS, but upgrading the OS on every device can be tricky because not all hardware will be able to support newer versions of the OS. Overall, iOS offers the ease of use and ease of upgrade to its users. The hardware is pretty high quality as well. Everyone ****es that because iOS is a "closed" system that it is garbage. The reason that the iOS has been successful is because it is a closed system.

Maybe I'm naive - But why does the fact that it is on different HW hurt Android? The OS upgrades work on all. It's like saying windows won't work because there are to many different types of PC's.

And not sure how android became just EVO. I don't like the EVO due to size (Too big) but I still love my Incredible.

BTW - Did someone actually say the camera is better on the Iphone? Are you kidding? My 8mp camera on the incredible is a GREAT camera! I do wish it had image stabilization, but the Droid X does I hear.

edit...After a google search, it looks like I loaded the NFL mobile app on my Sprint EVO and it works which is a Verizon application now. Sweetness!!!! Try that iPhone! LOL

Huh. I had it on one of my Sprint phones (I may never switch... I have an old $30 plan with unlimited data, texting, roaming, and nights and weekends, as well as 500 minutes a month), and it broke when Verizon took over.

If we're just evaluating the phones it's the iPhone. Honestly the hardware Apple makes is not any better than the Android phones, but the support its App store gets is unparalleled.

If the iPhone moves to Verizon then you can guarantee AT&T takes a nosedive because it is so far inferior to Verizon in coverage.

I wouldn't say that AT&T has inferior coverage to Verizon. Can you talk on your cell phone and check your email or surf the net at the same time with Verizon. Last time I checked you couldn't. I went on a cruise out of Baltimore and while we were in the bay and parts of the channel going out to the ocean I was the only one who had service in my group.

Huh. I had it on one of my Sprint phones (I may never switch... I have an old $30 plan with unlimited data, texting, roaming, and nights and weekends, as well as 500 minutes a month), and it broke when Verizon took over.

hmmm not sure. I found the .apk file for NFL mobile and installed it on my evo and it worked fine. What phone did you have? Maybe the app only works on android phones.

Who knows, Verizon may catch on and disable the ports to get in once they realize Sprint users are still connecting to their service.

I've seen the EVO and the pictures of the new Droid X and I really can't believe there is such a huge market for a phone that big. The EVO did not look like it could fit comfortably in someones hand, let alone their pocket.

Either way, I love my iPhone but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to try out a Droid - especially once they get a Slingbox app like iPhone has.

Either way, I love my iPhone but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to try out a Droid - especially once they get a Slingbox app like iPhone has.

they do. $29.99

http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=slingbox

FYI - for all those droid users - Check out Appbrain! Its a way to surf and look for apps on line from your computer, download from your PC, and sync up your phone after. Much eaiser then using the market.

I've seen the EVO and the pictures of the new Droid X and I really can't believe there is such a huge market for a phone that big. The EVO did not look like it could fit comfortably in someones hand, let alone their pocket.

It does look big at first but honestly it is not much bigger then the iPhone. I had the iPhone and the EVO is just a tad bit bigger. Fits in my jean pocket just fine. Can't tell the difference in my pocket. If you are wearing tight ass jeans then it may suck but then again, you probably have some other issues wearing tight ass jeans.

Maybe I'm naive - But why does the fact that it is on different HW hurt Android? The OS upgrades work on all. It's like saying windows won't work because there are to many different types of PC's.

And not sure how android became just EVO. I don't like the EVO due to size (Too big) but I still love my Incredible.

BTW - Did someone actually say the camera is better on the Iphone? Are you kidding? My 8mp camera on the incredible is a GREAT camera! I do wish it had image stabilization, but the Droid X does I hear.

It is possible that not all hardware will be able to support newer features and run the OS very efficiently. Plus, some hardware might work better with the OS than with other hardware. I am not saying the OS won't work. But it might not work as efficiently because the hardware is less. IT is like comparing a netbook running Windows 7 vs a $600 laptop runinng Windows 7. The $600 laptop, with higher specs than the netbook, should theoretically be able to run the OS more efficiently.

Many tests have been done between many camera phones. The camera in the new iPhone has consistently been in the top. For some reason, everyone thinks that the higher the megapixel, the better the picture. That couldn't be further from the truth.

All done on an iPhone. http://vimeo.com/12819723

Many tests have been done between many camera phones. The camera in the new iPhone has consistently been in the top. For some reason, everyone thinks that the higher the megapixel, the better the picture. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Many tests? Can you send me any of them that show Iphone has better pics that then incredibile?

Look - I have link too....:ols:

All done on Incredibile http://www.flickr.com/photos/ynotbike/

One again, the higher megapixel count means absolutely nothing. So many more factors go into evaluating picture quality than megapixels. Are you going to be making some huge prints with your camera phone photos?

Dude. We agree on this. Thanks for the elaboration, but nobody is disagreeing with you.

As far as screen resolution goes, the iPhone packs more pixels in a smaller space. If HTC did the same with the EVO, I would have been more impressed with a larger screen. Size doesn't always matter.
And neither does the resolution difference, in this case.

What does that resolution do for you on a tiny screen? These resolutions are already approaching (or in the case of iPhone 4, beyond) what the human eye can resolve at 12 inches away. Steve Jobs even admits it, and experts weighing in on the issue tend to agree with him. So to fully enjoy the resolution advantage of the iPhone 4, you have to hold the thing closer than 12 inches from your face at all times while watching content that makes use of the higher resolution in the first place.

Again: material advantages. Just like with the camera, more resolution isn't worth much unless it's actually useful.

Many tests? Can you send me any of them that show Iphone has better pics that then incredibile?

Look - I have link too....:ols:

All done on Incredibile http://www.flickr.com/photos/ynotbike/

http://www.macworld.com/article/152314/2010/06/iphonecameratests.html

http://gizmodo.com/5572766/test-notes-iphone-4-camera

There are two for you to check out.

Honestly, I could give a crap less about camera quality. I am just tired of people ****ing about the iPhone only having a 5 megapixel camera when there is more that goes into image quality than megapixel count.

It is possible that not all hardware will be able to support newer features and run the OS very efficiently. Plus, some hardware might work better with the OS than with other hardware. I am not saying the OS won't work. But it might not work as efficiently because the hardware is less. IT is like comparing a netbook running Windows 7 vs a $600 laptop runinng Windows 7. The $600 laptop, with higher specs than the netbook, should theoretically be able to run the OS more efficiently.

The hardware is only getting better and they're already limiting updates to hardware that can handle it, which is basically anything that's not the G1.

Just downloaded the Slingplayer on my EVO and it is wonderful. On top of that, I got it for free and it works over 4G. Wonderful!!!

That's all well and good, but you don't have 4G where you are, plus you still have to pay the extra $10 a month for having a 4G phone regardless. I fail to see how this is a good thing until they actually bring 4G to our area?

BTW - Another advantage of Android -

Music Wizzard, MP3 Download, tuune music

Just 3 of the many aps that Droid has on the market that go out, finds music on the web, and re-records it to your phone for free....

Something the Iphone won't allow....

That's all well and good, but you don't have 4G where you are, plus you still have to pay the extra $10 a month for having a 4G phone regardless. I fail to see how this is a good thing until they actually bring 4G to our area?

Dude, 4G has been available in our area since the phone launched on June 4th. Actually it was launched a few days prior. I live in Bethesda and get 4G there. I work in Germantown, MD and I have 4G up here. Don't tell me what I have and don't, pokey!

Why is Android the smarter buy? Why does it have greater potential? Because it is open source? I would say that being open source is actually hurting Android. If there were more strict guidelines, I think it would be even better.

I would love to know what devices you are talking about that are barely an upgrade. Apple is a company that is for the most part, on the cutting edge of technology.

Why buy the Evo when 4G is barely accessible yet? Not to mention having to pay a $10 premium for 4G service.

Android is a great OS, but upgrading the OS on every device can be tricky because not all hardware will be able to support newer versions of the OS. Overall, iOS offers the ease of use and ease of upgrade to its users. The hardware is pretty high quality as well. Everyone ****es that because iOS is a "closed" system that it is garbage. The reason that the iOS has been successful is because it is a closed system.

Quoted for truth...

Open source is going to be a problem... there are lots of issues popping up with malware, viruses and other problems because no one is approving android apps... There was an article just the other day showing how they had to use their "kill switch" to remotely remove apps from peoples phones without their approval...

http://www.iphonealley.com/current/whatever-happened-to-open

Also, why in the world would anyone buy an EVO if you don't have 4G in your area yet?? You pay 10 more dollars even though you don't have the service and guess what, by the time you actually have 4G service, there will be a better phone...

speaking of all the fighting between the iphone vs. android crowds i found these videos on a tech blog poking fun at the different viewpoints. both are nsfw due to language but are pretty funny.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/28/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g/

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/29/evo-4g-iphone-4-video/

I saw those this morning and thought they were hilarious!

Personally, I chose a Droid because I don't see much difference in what the phones do for me and AT&T's coverage stinks for me in some areas that I frequent.

Archived