Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Android vs Iphone - Public Poll

TMK9973

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Regarding the whole data back-up debate, IMO that is one of the best features of Android. All contacts, calendar stuff, settings can be set to automatically back up on Google servers. Say your phone is lost or runs out of batteries, just go to your PC and you can access all your important info online. Also, when you buy a new Android phone all your contacts and settings update instantly over the internet with no need to even connect to your computer. Sure, this doesn't work with pics and music (although you can link your device to Picasa for photos and use free third party media player software to sync your music with iTunes). What's more, if you use Google Voice you can also go online on your PC and see and hear all you text messages and voice mails without using your phone. The really exciting aspects of Android are all the integrated cloud functionality, it is really amazing stuff and this is where Google is way ahead.

Regarding the whole data back-up debate, IMO that is one of the best features of Android. All contacts, calendar stuff, settings can be set to automatically back up on Google servers. Say your phone is lost or runs out of batteries, just go to your PC and you can access all your important info online. Also, when you buy a new Android phone all your contacts and settings update instantly over the internet with no need to even connect to your computer. Sure, this doesn't work with pics and music (although you can link your device to Picasa for photos and use free third party media player software to sync your music with iTunes). What's more, if you use Google Voice you can also go online on your PC and see and hear all you text messages and voice mails without using your phone. The really exciting aspects of Android are all the integrated cloud functionality, it is really amazing stuff and this is where Google is way ahead.

Yeah cloud computing is very cool, and definitely the future. However, you can use Google Sync on the iPhone as well. You can also use Google Voice on the iPhone.

Well, my kids don't need Skype. Either way you bought a Mac Book. Good for you. I am thinking of getting the kids either a Mini, or a used iMac. Anything besides the noisy ass PC they have now.

Sandman, we would get along great. I would love to buy you a beer sometime.

I had Ubuntu, and a camera for my daughters machine. Problem was in facebook they use flash based application for their video support. I couldn't get the camera to work correctly with flash. It of course worked fine with all other apps on ubuntu, but not for flash video.

So, I decided to go the Mac Mini route. The girl in the apple store failed to tell me that the adapter cord for the monitor came with the unit. In addition, my daughters machine had a hardwired mouse and keyboard. After pricing out everything I thought I would need to get to make it all work, I determined the price was so close I might as well go with the macbook. The KICKER was her "second party" camera has the same problems on the Mac as ubuntu. Flash video support. This problem doesn't exist with the built in Mac camera. In addition, iMovie had issues with second party cameras. My life really doesn't allow hours of time to make a video camera work in facebook. :ols: So I had a choice, save $100 after everything I would need to buy for the mini, or just go macbook.

If you already have the wireless keyboard, mouse, etc...the Mini might be a good option...if your daughter doesn't use facebook :)

As far as .Net. My partner purchased a web based timekeeping system, which is hosted by the company but uses client side .net code. That code does not work in ANY browser but IE. It won't work in any compatibility mode. Nothing.

So as I sit here and type on my Macbook pro (first Mac ever and will never go back) my frustrations with Apple are the proprietary nature of some things (second party cameras and full integration with todays technology) and the fact that you are handcuffed with not working with SOME websites, if the geniuses that build those sites take a proprietary route in building their sites.

Regardless, I owe you a beer, apologize for being a jerk. It's frustrating (as in my technology thread) when things don't work (like second party cameras on Unix and flash support) and people just throw out useless links like "This camera says it works on a Mac". Well duh, I know that.

But in the end, love my Mac, don't miss the PC at all, only wish I didn't have to miss opportunities to use some technology, because the technology I choose doesn't support it.

So android -vs- iphone, well I wouldn't chose an iPad, because it doesn't support flash. Same frustration would probably be true on an iphone. Meanwhile, it works great on my wifes android. I don't have to miss an opportunity to watch a flash video. :D

If you already have the wireless keyboard, mouse, etc...the Mini might be a good option...if your daughter doesn't use facebook :)

As far as .Net. My partner purchased a web based timekeeping system, which is hosted by the company but uses client side .net code. That code does not work in ANY browser but IE. It won't work in any compatibility mode. Nothing.

So as I sit here and type on my Macbook pro (first Mac ever and will never go back) my frustrations with Apple are the proprietary nature of some things (second party cameras and full integration with todays technology) and the fact that you are handcuffed with not working with SOME websites, if the geniuses that build those sites take a proprietary route in building their sites.

Regardless, I owe you a beer, apologize for being a jerk. It's frustrating (as in my technology thread) when things don't work (like second party cameras on Unix and flash support) and people just throw out useless links like "This camera says it works on a Mac". Well duh, I know that.

But in the end, love my Mac, don't miss the PC at all, only wish I didn't have to miss opportunities to use some technology, because the technology I choose doesn't support it.

So android -vs- iphone, well I wouldn't chose an iPad, because it doesn't support flash. Same frustration would probably be true on an iphone. Meanwhile, it works great on my wifes android. I don't have to miss an opportunity to watch a flash video. :D

Its all good. A cold beer sometime sounds sweet, or a nice scotch!

That is a bummer about the camera, I guess since I am on the iMac I don't have that problem since I use the built-in iSight camera.

Yeah I have to use some Sametime sites for work that don't work on any browser but IE. For those times I use VMWare and boot into Windows XP so I can do that. Or if I need full resources I can boot camp over into Windows. That might have been an option as well, though for $100 more, I probably woulda gone the Mac Book route as well. They are nice laptops.

I hope to god I don't have to worry about the daughter on Facebook anytime soon. She is only three, but gets around on the PC good. My son who is 7 does a great job as well. I Just hate having to worry about them on Windows, and would like to get them into MAC early. Especially, since their school has them. NOt to mention, our office is silent minus the fish tank when only the wife's an my iMacs are running.

Yeah the droids are cool, and I do with Apple would work on the Flash. However, Steve is a stubborn **** at times. I can't believe the comments with the whole antenna issue. Embarrassing. HOwever, I have not problem with it since I never hold a phone to my head. I use the ear buds and the phone is usually in my pocket or on the car seat.

Anyway, enjoy. Damn work is early tomorrow, but so is getting off early to start the long weekend.

Its all good. A cold beer sometime sounds sweet, or a nice scotch!

That is a bummer about the camera, I guess since I am on the iMac I don't have that problem since I use the built-in iSight camera.

Yeah I have to use some Sametime sites for work that don't work on any browser but IE. For those times I use VMWare and boot into Windows XP so I can do that. Or if I need full resources I can boot camp over into Windows. That might have been an option as well, though for $100 more, I probably woulda gone the Mac Book route as well. They are nice laptops.

I hope to god I don't have to worry about the daughter on Facebook anytime soon. She is only three, but gets around on the PC good. My son who is 7 does a great job as well. I Just hate having to worry about them on Windows, and would like to get them into MAC early. Especially, since their school has them. NOt to mention, our office is silent minus the fish tank when only the wife's an my iMacs are running.

Yeah the droids are cool, and I do with Apple would work on the Flash. However, Steve is a stubborn **** at times. I can't believe the comments with the whole antenna issue. Embarrassing. HOwever, I have not problem with it since I never hold a phone to my head. I use the ear buds and the phone is usually in my pocket or on the car seat.

Anyway, enjoy. Damn work is early tomorrow, but so is getting off early to start the long weekend.

Scotch it is, it's on me.

On my macbook pro I ended up buying vmware and a copy of Windows home 7. I run it as a vm, vise a dual boot. It works great.

I went on a trip with a buddy with an iphone. He forgot his car charger, so we bought an iphone car charger at a gas station. iPhone had a popup. This is not a certified Apple car charger, or something like that, and wouldn't charge the phone. :ols: Those are the things that drive me crazy about Apple. But my daughters, 10 soon to be 11, and 15, upon using my Macbook never want to touch a PC again. So good luck with your 3 year old. Once she gets hooked, it's over. :)

Have a nice fourth.

• 8 months later...

Archived