Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Android vs Iphone - Public Poll

TMK9973

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Are you kidding me, the worst thing about the iphone is the network. the Iphone 4 is losing calls if you don't hold the phone properly. Just read the reviews and it is why Droid ads are saying you can hold the phone any way you want to. Take the phone out of Iphone and it is wonderful hence "itouch".

There is no product called the iTouch. Are you referring to the iPod Touch?

If the call drop problem does turn out to be a hardware issue, this is an enormous engineering mistake by Apple. Apparently the signal bars are not displayed properly in the OS, so it looks like there is absolutely zero reception when there actually is. If you read more than one article on the issue, you will see there are many theories, none of which Apple are supporting now. I'm sure they are trying to figure out what the deal is with it, but people are getting pissed. Understandably so.

There is no product called the iTouch. Are you referring to the iPod Touch?

If the call drop problem does turn out to be a hardware issue, this is an enormous engineering mistake by Apple. Apparently the signal bars are not displayed properly in the OS, so it looks like there is absolutely zero reception when there actually is. If you read more than one article on the issue, you will see there are many theories, none of which Apple are supporting now. I'm sure they are trying to figure out what the deal is with it, but people are getting pissed. Understandably so.

Engadget reported yesterday, SS included, that Apple's career site has three postings for antenna engineers for the iPhone and iPad.

Interesting...could it be that they are used to Apple products? The most common complaint I hear about Apple products from people around me is that it's not intuitive. I have an iPod Touch and it's pretty easy to operate, but not any easier than my Incredible. At the same time, any PC is much easier than a Mac (unless you're an Apple guy).

Funny, because I mostly hear the exact opposite. I was never a Mac guy but I think their OS is ridiculously easy to learn and understand as opposed to Windows.

Windows Vista and 7 have basically been trying to replicate aspects of the Apple OS that they have had for years now.

If it weren't for the fact that they are expensive and that Windows is more compatible with what I do for work I would definitely love to have a Mac for the sole reason that they are so intuitive.

Engadget reported yesterday, SS included, that Apple's career site has three postings for antenna engineers for the iPhone and iPad.

I saw that too. I guess maybe it is a hardware issue? Still, a huge **** up by Apple. In emails, Jobs keeps saying "stay tuned." I am wondering if they are going to do a software update and hope it fixes the problem.. They already fixed the Exchange issue.

I think a lot of people are also forgetting that you can add memory to an Android device, so if you want more later you can just add it. Also, if you want to switch a battery you can buy a new one on eBay for $20 to replace it yourself, and not have to get punched in the nuts to pay apple $75 to replace it...more openness of the phone.

Funny, because I mostly hear the exact opposite. I was never a Mac guy but I think their OS is ridiculously easy to learn and understand as opposed to Windows.

Windows Vista and 7 have basically been trying to replicate aspects of the Apple OS that they have had for years now.

If it weren't for the fact that they are expensive and that Windows is more compatible with what I do for work I would definitely love to have a Mac for the sole reason that they are so intuitive.

I don't have much trouble getting around with a Mac, but it's just what I hear. Hell, some people don't even know how to close a browser. I like the look and navigation of a PC better, but I can manage in both. I'm perfectly willing to write it off as more people are used to a PC so a Mac is different to them.

Anyway, the point I was making with that post was to show that calling something "easy to use" is very subjective so it's not really useful for this debate when everyone has a different opinion.

Why is another card necessary? To hold more apps, music, videos and photos? I feel like that would be turning into a mini-disk player type situation where you have a bunch of cards to keep track of and can't remember what content is on what card.

Aside from doing DIY fixes to your phone, why does the battery need to be user replaceable? Or do you use extended life batteries?

Why is another card necessary? To hold more apps, music, videos and photos? I feel like that would be turning into a mini-disk player type situation where you have a bunch of cards to keep track of and can't remember what content is on what card.

Aside from doing DIY fixes to your phone, why does the battery need to be user replaceable? Or do you use extended life batteries?

Yes, so yo can put more videos/music on your player, duh. Batteries can die at any moment, and start to decay after a year. Even more so now because people are recharging their phones a lot more.

1) I do like having the MICROS SD card for 2 major reasons. If my phone needs replacing (Like when I dropped it into pot of water...whoops), I took my card out and stuck it in the new phone bam. All my music, pic, and videos where there. Second reason is I like that it shares it with my camera. I.E - Had my camera on a trip, took a really good pic and wanted to send it to someone. Very easy to pop it out of my camera, put in my phone and email it.

2) Battery -Are you kidding? Batterys need replacing more then often then phones.

1) i do like having the micros sd card for 2 major reasons. If my phone needs replacing (like when i dropped it into pot of water...whoops), i took my card out and stuck it in the new phone bam. All my music, pic, and videos where there. Second reason is i like that it shares it with my camera. I.e - had my camera on a trip, took a really good pic and wanted to send it to someone. Very easy to pop it out of my camera, put in my phone and email it.

2) battery -are you kidding? Batterys need replacing more then often then phones.

+1

1) Then don't use more than one card? Honestly, with 32GB of space on the card alone and eight more on the phone itself, I doubt that I would need more than one, but it's nice to know that I can. I don't think that the mini-disk analogy works here. 32GB holds a crap ton of stuff. Unless you're transporting your hard drive or a lot of HD movies, you're not going to fill that up.

2) Seriously? You've never had to replace a battery on your phone? Batteries die or have problems holding a charge pretty often. I'd like to be able to rectify that on my own or keep a spare if I'm on a long trip/there's an emergency and power isn't available.

1) I do like having the MICROS SD card for 2 major reasons. If my phone needs replacing (Like when I dropped it into pot of water...whoops), I took my card out and stuck it in the new phone bam. All my music, pic, and videos where there. Second reason is I like that it shares it with my camera. I.E - Had my camera on a trip, took a really good pic and wanted to send it to someone. Very easy to pop it out of my camera, put in my phone and email it.

2) Battery -Are you kidding? Batterys need replacing more then often then phones.

1) Not discounting the benefit of having a removable SD card, however, with the iphone if you ruin it and buy a new one as soon as you plug it into iTunes it restores everything on the old phone to the new phone. I can see the usefulness of moving a card from a camera to the phone, but it isn't a show stopper for me.

2) I have never replaced a battery in my 15+ years having a cell phone. I have replaced the phone way before the battery is useless. However, I see your point and nicety of changing a battery. I think apple went their route to keep it smaller and more solid, since you don't need to worry about removable connectors and aftermarket batteries that may be questionable. Now if I was on a long trip it may be useful to put a backup battery in. But also not a show stopper for me, since I typically have one type of charger available.

Yes, so yo can put more videos/music on your player, duh. Batteries can die at any moment, and start to decay after a year. Even more so now because people are recharging their phones a lot more.

Dude, no need to be a jackass. I was just confirming that was the reason for wanting an SD card. So for a $200 phone you are going to spend another $90 on a 32 GB SD card to be able to fit more content on your phone?

You cannot sync your phone with a computer and have all that data transferred? Funny that iPhones can do that. :silly:

What kind of batteries are in Android phones? Lithium Ion?

Android phones don't have an application where you can sync them with your computer? I can see the advantage for an SD card, but I don't think it is a necessity.

The battery in my two and a half year old phone has lasted for 2.5 years. Still holds a charge for 5 days.

If your battery dies relatively soon, that blows. I have never had that issue with a phone.

Google has some amazing stuff that just puts the Android platform ahead technologically and I think there will be an even bigger gap in the future. Google Voice and Google Goggles are awesome. The fact that the entire phone can be operated using the best voice recognition available is amazing as well. These services are all using cloud computing which Google definitely has a huge advantage in considering all the servers they own. In the future, the list of these capabilities will get even more amazing - Google has already stated that they are working on combining speech recognition with their translation services and believe that in a few years people will be able to have phone conversations with one another in different languages. The fact that Google also includes free navigation in all new devices is just the icing on the cake. Android's services far exceed what the iPhone is doing.

1) Not discounting the benefit of having a removable SD card, however, with the iphone if you ruin it and buy a new one as soon as you plug it into iTunes it restores everything on the old phone to the new phone. I can see the usefulness of moving a card from a camera to the phone, but it isn't a show stopper for me.

2) I have never replaced a battery in my 15+ years having a cell phone. I have replaced the phone way before the battery is useless. However, I see your point and nicety of changing a battery. I think apple went their route to keep it smaller and more solid, since you don't need to worry about removable connectors and aftermarket batteries that may be questionable. Now if I was on a long trip it may be useful to put a backup battery in. But also not a show stopper for me, since I typically have one type of charger available.

Dude, no need to be a jackass. I was just confirming that was the reason for wanting an SD card. So for a $200 phone you are going to spend another $90 on a 32 GB SD card to be able to fit more content on your phone?

You cannot sync your phone with a computer and have all that data transferred? Funny that iPhones can do that. :silly:

Android phones don't have an application where you can sync them with your computer? I can see the advantage for an SD card, but I don't think it is a necessity.

The battery in my two and a half year old phone has lasted for 2.5 years. Still holds a charge for 5 days.

If your battery dies relatively soon, that blows. I have never had that issue with a phone.

You guys are lucky if your batteries never die. However, that doesn't change the reality that if you are on a long trip or in an emergency, you can't change the battery.

Also, your iPhone CANNOT hold all of the information that the Droid X would be able to hold (you're forgetting the eight GB that it comes with), and with updates, 32 GB may be expanded. The cost is irrelevant (even though I'm seeing some cost in the $80 range right now) as prices for memory plummet very quickly. However, if you'd like to add more memory to an iPhone, then you have to purchase a whole new phone.

And please remember, I'm not bashing the iPhone. I would get one if it were on Verizon.

?

Of course -But if I download a song on my phone, take a picture or video does it sync in real time? Or does it sync next time I plug it into my computer? I really don't know.

In the case when I runined my phone, it had been 5 days since i plugged it into my computer. About 6 songs, about 25 pictures (Had been away for a weekend) and 2 videos.

Also - For battery - I was in a long conference the other day and my phone was dead and I needed to send a email. I borrowed the battery from my co-worker and plugged it in.

Also - Does Iphone have free Nav with Real time traffic? Again, Serious question cause I use the traffic ALL the time.

1.) I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass

2.) yes, lithium ion. BTW I am looking at Amazon now, I see droid batteries (OEM & new) for $7.

I think its a highway train robbery for what apple charges to replace the battery.

The battery life of the iPhone has been criticized by several technology journalists as insufficient and less than Apple's claims.[49][50][51][52] This is also reflected by a J. D. Power and Associates customer satisfaction survey, which gave the "battery aspects" of the iPhone 3G its lowest rating of 2 out of 5 stars.[53][54]

If the battery malfunctions or dies prematurely, the phone can be returned to Apple and replaced for free while still under warranty.[55] The warranty lasts one year from purchase and can be extended to two years with AppleCare. Though the battery replacement service and its pricing was not made known to buyers until the day the product was launched,[56][57] it is similar to how Apple (and third parties) replace batteries for iPods. The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, a consumer advocate group, has sent a complaint to Apple and AT&T over the fee that consumers have to pay to have the battery replaced.[56] Since July 2007 third party battery replacement kits have been available[58] at a much lower price than Apple's own battery replacement program. These kits often include a small screwdriver and an instruction leaflet, but as with many newer iPod models the battery in the original iPhone has been soldered in. Therefore a soldering iron is required to install the new battery. The iPhone 3G uses a different battery fitted with a connector that is easier to replace, although replacement by any besides Apple still voids the warranty.[59]

Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Battery

3.) Double twist acts exactly like itunes and can sync MP3's, videos, etc with your droid phone. http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt I use it on my mac and it works flawless.

You guys are lucky if your batteries never die. However, that doesn't change the reality that if you are on a long trip or in an emergency, you can't change the battery.

Also, your iPhone CANNOT hold all of the information that the Droid X would be able to hold (you're forgetting the eight GB that it comes with), and with updates, 32 GB may be expanded. The cost is irrelevant (even though I'm seeing some cost in the $80 range right now) as prices for memory plummet very quickly. However, if you'd like to add more memory to an iPhone, then you have to purchase a whole new phone.

And please remember, I'm not bashing the iPhone. I would get one if it were on Verizon.

No, its cool. It is a good debate!

If I don't have 32 GB worth of content, an iPhone would be able to handle anything I throw at it. I would really only have apps, music, contacts and calendars.

As I said, I see the advantage an SD card would provide in having a physical copy of a backup versus only a backup on a computer, which could crash.

The entire battery thing does suck if you are in an emergency and need to quickly make a change, it would be nice to have that option available.

Of course -But if I download a song on my phone, take a picture or video does it sync in real time? Or does it sync next time I plug it into my computer? I really don't know.

In the case when I runined my phone, it had been 5 days since i plugged it into my computer. About 6 songs, about 25 pictures (Had been away for a weekend) and 2 videos.

Also - For battery - I was in a long conference the other day and my phone was dead and I needed to send a email. I borrowed the battery from my co-worker and plugged it in.

Also - Does Iphone have free Nav with Real time traffic? Again, Serious question cause I use the traffic ALL the time.

Definitely cool convenience features. I can understand why they would be nice to have. The most practical feature for me would be having to replace the battery myself instead of paying for it to be replaced, which does indeed suck.

1.) I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass

2.) yes, lithium ion. BTW I am looking at Amazon now, I see droid batteries (OEM & new) for $7.

Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Battery

3.) Double twist acts exactly like itunes and can sync MP3's, videos, etc with your droid phone. http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

I have always read about those criticisms too, but anyone I have spoken with says they just have to charge their phone every night. I haven't met one person who has had to have their battery replaced by Apple, though. I believe that Apple uses their Lithium Polymer battery in the iPhones as well, which should lead to a longer battery lifetime. I could be wrong about that though.

I guess I am. Though my wife has never needed to change her battery, nor have my friends.

However, Apple will change your battery for free if it dies within the first year, since it is covered under warranty. I would wager most people only have one battery, and the fact that it is removable will not help you, if there is an emergency and you do not have access to a charger. I can see the benefit, but like I said it isn't a deal stopper for me.

Yeah the Droid can hold more than my iphone, but neither will come close to holding all my stuff anyway, so it isn't a huge deal for me. I don't want to have to have multiple SDs to juggle either.

I have nothing against the Droid platform. I just like my iPhone, and how it integrates with everything I have perfectly.

I'm saying it because I believe that as much as half of the people that have android based phones only have them because they can't have an iPhone because its not on their carrier. Once the iPhone is on Verizon, I'm betting a very very large number of people with android based phones switch to iPhones.

My parents and several others that I know fit that mold. Hell, read the comments here in this thread. Sure, there will be programmer types that love the open source that android offers, but that is a small number of people. My dad has a droid, he will ditch it as soon as the iPhone is on verizon. He is so afraid of AT&T because of all the negative adds even though I get better service than he does (In our area).

I'm probably like him then. Anyway I always go to whatever provider gives me the best price per month and call quality. Right now I run with Sprint and Android software, plus I'm on an unlimited data and Text messages plan for $40 a month thanks to my job discounts. Would I get an Iphone? Maybe but I can wait until AT&T stops gouging me in prices. Seriously $95(probably be around $15-20 cheaper with my job discount if it has one for At&t) per month for a freaking phone. And yes I even tried going with Verizon but their pricing isn't much better.

Anyway this could be a bit biased since I've only used windows mobile and android software but I don't understand why At&t as a company charges so much for their wireless plans. So Iphone users am I really missing much? Be honest since my plan ends with Sprint soon and I can switch if it's really worth all the cost.

I'm not loyal by no means. I use to have Ntelos(trash reception so it had to go), and Tmobile because they had the best prices at the time. I've always been interested as you can see. I just don't want to feel hosed if I do and it"s not as awesome as I see all Iphone users seem to be having. I decided not to vote though because again I've never used an Iphone or had service with At&t.

It would be nice to replace the IPhones battery, but the 4's battery life is very good. I don't think I would need more than 32gb of storage at a time. I could probably fill up a 64 gb's worth, but it's not really a necessity for the general public.

If Apple takes FaceTime over 3G before the Verizon move Android's new user market will dwindle quickly. My children have spoken and saw their grandmother and uncle for the first time in a year. I understand we couldve done this on the computer, but it's just different the way Apple has done it.

Steve Jobs Tells customer to, "“Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.”

Steve Jobs, “Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.”

by Matt Burns on July 1, 2010

The iPhone 4 antenna issue is real. The leaked Apple troubleshooting documents and job posting confirms what a lot of iPhone 4 owners are stating. Worse yet, a lot of owners are finding that bumpers — DIY or official ones — don’t totally solve the problem. The world is quickly crashing down around Apple fans everywhere. But Steve Jobs has some advice, “Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.”

That’s what he supposedly emailed to one very irate iPhone 4 owner who, along with a few friends, are finding the iPhone 4 has major problems. Steve first tells the owner to calm down, then blames his problems on signal strength, and then finally states “[Apple] is working on it.”

Of course Apple is working on it. Sure, there might some PR-type spinning going on by stating that there isn’t a problem or users are just holding the phone wrong, but it’s AT&T that’s likely pushing for a quick solution. For once, it’s not the carrier’s fault that the iPhone is dropping calls even though AT&T is the front line support for most iPhone owners. A working solution must be right around the corner although most people said that about the Gulf oil spill months ago, too. (In no way does the iPhone 4 compare to the Gulf crisis, btw)

Source: tech crunch

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/01/steve-jobs-retire-relax-enjoy-your-family-it-is-just-a-phone-not-worth-it/

I'm saying it because I believe that as much as half of the people that have android based phones only have them because they can't have an iPhone because its not on their carrier.

Pure speculation, and totally subjective. You're ignoring cost of ownership, Android feature exclusives which definitely DO matter to people, the ever-decreasing gap between Android phones and the iPhone, etc. This is just a statement of your personal preference, with no weight behind it.

My personal anecdote-based experience has been the opposite of yours: my friends and family have been far more enthusiastic about a phone and OS that aren't irrevocably Apple-y in feel and user experience. But I can see past the limits of my own self-selected sample and recognize that both platforms will continue to justify their own existence. To assume that "there can/will be only one" is ridiculous.

Also, iPhone on Verizon likely will be the most expensive combination of phone and service on the market. I can't imagine any other phone/service combo costing more. Price matters very much to many folks; that's basically why Sprint is still in business and selling out of EVOs daily.

Android will become Linux. It won't cease to exist, but it will be used by far fewer people. It will be used by the "tech smarter" people, but fewer.
Like PCs are used by fewer people? :D

Take a look around. Android-on-phones has already surpassed Linux-on-computers in terms of market penetration, and it has done it incredibly quickly. And it continues to grow. Worldwide it's 10% vs. iOS's 15%. Stateside the gap is larger but Android still has incredible momentum. The Linux market position is in the rear view mirror for everyone except WebOS and its ilk.

I'm not saying iOS is "better" than Android, I'm just saying for all the reasons combined, it appeals to more people and is much easier to use, and once it is on Verizon, it will take a huge portion of android business...
It would appear that functional simplicity isn't really the most important thing on consumers' minds when they go shopping for tech gear. I've never seen consumer behavior truly discern between "95% simple" and "100% simple." Beyond a certain point they don't really care enough to make it worth their while to switch, regardless of marketing push.

I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that simplicity sells itself long-term, either. That has never seemed to be the case with phones, really; I'd say iPhone sold a bazillion units due to its feature advantages, not its menu structure. But regardless, you're predicting that an utterly massive group of people will jump en masse to a phone/carrier combination at the very tippy-top of the cost pyramid. It's just not compatible with consumer reality. Plenty of people will jump. Others won't. Some will jump in the other direction after seeing that there are major savings elsewhere with phones that are just as good for their needs.

It would be no less ludicrous for me to suggest that iPhone will die due to its inevitably higher cost than Android (free) with its own killer apps like Google turn-by-turn nav (free) on phones which will inevitably become dirt cheap (read: some lesser phones will be free by 2012, book it) and dirt-cheap networks like Sprint. Yet the truth is, iPhone isn't going anywhere. And neither is the massive and growing slew of Android phones...

Archived