Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Android vs Iphone - Public Poll

TMK9973

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Flash has never worked perfectly on any of my Macs. It has always made my CPU go insane. Hopefully the upcoming version will be what so many people have been crying for. Hardware acceleration! Not sure of the release date but I think a beta is out right now.

My Razer gaming mouse works beautifully with my Mac. My Presonus Firepod worked flawlessly when I had it. My Digidesign 003 works without a hitch. My WD hard drive works fine with my Mac. My Lacie drive works fine too. My Lexmark printer worked fine since day 1 with zero problems...3 years later. Strange that none of those products are made by Apple. :silly:

What sites are you going to that do not work well that end in .net? I haven't run into that before. Then again, I don't go to a lot of .net sites.

My companies timesheet website.

https://www.gotimeforce.com/

If you understand why .Net doesn't work on the Mac, then you wouldn't ask the question. If you don't, then you might do some research. :D

Don't let your ignorance to technology blind you from your intelligence. ;)

Uh...my daughter has a standard connector.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A

And google any "generic" camera and read why it doesn't work with flash, just like Linux.

Not bragging, I just didn't want to spend time on Ubuntu or Mac to make a stupid camera work for facebook or skype. There are issues, just google Mac Mini.

Don't throw numbers about how many users your unix servers support. Or "developing' a unix server in college. What are your unix "skills" Can you set up a Yum server? Can you install Unix from the command line? Boot in single user mode and configure DNS? How do you do that? Write bash/korn/csh shells? Provide me with the find command to show files with the term "guru" in a Unix file. Show me your skills.

Trust me, I fondled the Mac/Ubuntu camera options and discovered the Mac with built in camera worked flawlessly and the opposite didn't.

No bragging required.

But go buy your Mac Mini. ;)

Q: UVC Webcam support for Mac OS 10.4.9 and above

Mac_Logo.jpg

Logitech webcams for Mac

Which Logitech webcams are UVC compliant and can be used with Macintosh OS X (10.4.9 and above) as well as other operating systems that fully support this standard?

Your Logitech camera must be UVC (Universal Video Class) compliant in order to be used on your Mac OS 10.4.9 and above computer. These standard UVC drivers are provided by the Operating System and will only provide minimal camera support. Currently, Logitech does not provide additional Web Camera software drivers for Macintosh.

For updates on compatibility issues and driver support, please continue to check the Logitech Support Website for updates or click the "Notify Me by Email..." button located on the bottom of this article

NOTE: With the exception of the QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac, all other UVC cameras are not officially supported on the Mac and some features or application support may not work.

Mac can be a major pain in the ass with compatibility, that's why sometimes I miss my PC. Plus, I am discovering mac is not that great, however the operating system is rock solid and stable. Here is a a list of Logitech web-cams that will work with Mac. I bought the C260 and it works flawless with my mac mini. Its probably too late since you brought back the mac.

Click link for compatible Logitech web-cams.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6471

Uh...my daughter has a standard connector.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A

Most video cards today are DVI and would require a DVI to VGA convertor as well. The MINI comes with a HDMI to DVI cable, since almost every monitor out there has a DVI connector.

And google any "generic" camera and read why it doesn't work with flash, just like Linux.

Not bragging, I just didn't want to spend time on Ubuntu or Mac to make a stupid camera work for facebook or skype. There are issues, just google Mac Mini.

I did a google search and quickly found several cameras that work on the Mac Mini and can be used with Skype such as Ecams IMAGE WebCam. But, you bought a Mac Book, so you must not be too much against Apple.

Don't throw numbers about how many users your unix servers support. Or "developing' a unix server in college. What are your unix "skills" Can you set up a Yum server? Can you install Unix from the command line? Boot in single user mode and configure DNS? How do you do that? Write bash/korn/csh shells? Provide me with the find command to show files with the term "guru" in a Unix file. Show me your skills.

LoL, you are the one that started tooting your horn.

BTW, it wasn't a "Server" I developed in college, it was the Operating System that managed the memory, the file system, the serial ports, the display output, the keyboard and mouse input etc. I also wrote a Compiler that could compile your C like code to run on the OS. ;)

You know those 20K users? They are using the Trusted Solaris OS that I configured via JumpStart, including a couple dozen finish scripts, that includes configuring everything the box needs to work at net - install time, including updating tsolgateways for every network used, DNS, NTP, NIS+ (yes we are still on NIS+ since TSOL 8 doesn't support LDAP), setups and configures the SunRay software, installs and configures the Citrix Client on each network that is used, sets up the IPF filter rules, configures the PAM authentication stack to use the modules I wrote to tie a user to a specific Smart Card.... I could go on.

Configuring DNS in Single User Mode? Write shell scripts? How to run a Find command? Really? That is the best you can ask me? :evilg:

LoL, I have a feeling you and I would get along great.

I have written dozens of DTKSH scripts that do everything an admin could think of. Since I have to support a Helpdesk that I like to call the helplessdesk or the rock garden. Do they use SMC to manage accounts? No, they use the GUI front end that I wrote since SMC sucks ass. Do they use the Sun Web front end for managing Sessions and the Smart Card database? No they use the GUI I wrote for them. Do they use vi to update the Trusted Networking Database? LoL, I don't give them command line, they use the GUI I wrote to update hosts,trusted networking database, monitor sessions, terminate sessions. I had to write a SunRay debug script that keeps the auth daemon from dying, since Sun couldn't write a fix for the utresexec bug that I discovered.

Trust me, I fondled the Mac/Ubuntu camera options and discovered the Mac with built in camera worked flawlessly and the opposite didn't.

No bragging required.

But go buy your Mac Mini. ;)

Well, my kids don't need Skype. Either way you bought a Mac Book. Good for you. I am thinking of getting the kids either a Mini, or a used iMac. Anything besides the noisy ass PC they have now.

Seriously you make yourself look foolish. Just shut your trap now. Read about .Net and understand how silly you make yourself look. It's frankly embarrassing. ;)

Sorry, I will not shut my trap.

Whatever floats your boat. I am not embarrassed because I don't care about .NET. Sorry. ;)

Don't need it, don't want it.

What sites are you going to that do not work well that end in .net? I haven't run into that before. Then again, I don't go to a lot of .net sites.

He's talking about the .NET Web Development Framework that Microsoft created to be a new standard in web development. Not domain names that end in .net.

Simply put, the purpose is to allow different web development languages to utilize this frameworks as a "standard" to allow inner-operability and simpler development of web based applications. I believe SameTime is based on .NET. Most of these require a Windows based OS, unless that has changed. It is basically like libraries written to allow quicker/simpler development of common based functions.

Sorry for the regurgitation, I see Chip already clarified that.

Android will die because of one phone that finally has a top-quality carrier?

MegaLOL. One ticket to Fantasyland, please.

There's a wide variety of consumer needs out there. There are phones that satisfy many folks' particular needs better than iPhone, just as iPhone is the go-choice for other folks' needs, and that won't change. I mean, we've even had a pitch for WebOS in here. Talk about different strokes.

The user experiences on these top-end phones really aren't that far apart, and I really doubt that they'll get any farther apart unless one manufacturer goes where another can't -- which hasn't happened yet, and which, apart from features that only some users need (Google's free turn-by-turn nav, for instance), probably won't happen. Overall I think it's far more likely that the user experiences will converge a bit more over time. Just as with everything else, the rate of user-need-driven technology development and the onset rate of new killer-apps will fall off considerably. Arguably that has already started.

So predicting the death of Android only makes sense if you're predicting the death of iOS at the same time. Which is to say, not a whole lot of sense.

I'm saying it because I believe that as much as half of the people that have android based phones only have them because they can't have an iPhone because its not on their carrier. Once the iPhone is on Verizon, I'm betting a very very large number of people with android based phones switch to iPhones.

My parents and several others that I know fit that mold. Hell, read the comments here in this thread. Sure, there will be programmer types that love the open source that android offers, but that is a small number of people. My dad has a droid, he will ditch it as soon as the iPhone is on verizon. He is so afraid of AT&T because of all the negative adds even though I get better service than he does (In our area).

Whether you like Apple or not, the iPhone is a great product. It is NOT a necessity. But, for better or for worse, it has become a status symbol of sorts. Kids using iPod touches are already being groomed to become iPhone users... Apple is smart. The iPhone is easy to use. Not everyone wants an open source phone. Android will become Linux. It won't cease to exist, but it will be used by far fewer people. It will be used by the "tech smarter" people, but fewer.

I'm not saying iOS is "better" than Android, I'm just saying for all the reasons combined, it appeals to more people and is much easier to use, and once it is on Verizon, it will take a huge portion of android business...

Apple is better than PC, so there is no hate for Apple here. However, Droid is better than Iphone. the main reason here is it has a better operating system and the main complaint about Iphone is the phone. The droid has an 8mp camera vs. the 5mp for the Iphone.

Now, Droid X vs. Droid Incredible. Both are very good phones, but X has longer battery life and a larger screen 4.3" inch vs. 3.7." Because of this the phone is larger 5" x 2.6" for the X vs. 4.6" x 2.3 inch for the incredible. I've ordered my incredible and it is on the way, but I may exchange it for the X. Both are winners in my book.

It seems like the iPhone has the better apps and such, but alot of people complain about call quality and the problems with AT&T. If the iPhone came to Verizon, I'd be tempted to get it, even though I'm not a big Apple fan.

Apple announced yesterday that Iphone was coming to Verizon. Probably to take away some of the attention that the Droid X and Incredible are getting.

Apple is better than PC, so there is no hate for Apple here. However, Droid is better than Iphone. the main reason here is it has a better operating system and the main complaint about Iphone is the phone. The droid has an 8mp camera vs. the 5mp for the Iphone.

Just in case you missed the rest of the thread....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199845/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4_vs_the_android_army.html

http://gizmodo.com/5572766/test-notes-iphone-4-camera

http://www.macworld.com/article/152314/2010/06/iphonecameratests.html

Megapixels are not a defining factor of quality. 5 vs 8 means nothing. But the Droid X did pretty well.

Apple announced yesterday that Iphone was coming to Verizon. Probably to take away some of the attention that the Droid X and Incredible are getting.

Absolutely incorrect. Rumors are not fact. :)

Anyone else find it odd that none of these tests is between the iphone4 and the incredibile? The incredibile being the most popular Droid phone right now?

I initially went to the Shack to get an HTC EVO, but after looking at the size of the thing and realizing I have to pay for 4g when I don't get 4g, I decided to go with the HTC Hero. It runs the Android OS, and I love the size.

Open source or not, the bottom line is the IPhone OS is simply easier to use than any Droid phone.

My grandmother and my 19 month old daughter can play without any instruction on my IPhone. I've had three other smart phones before I went with Apple and I've never been happier. My wife lost hers months ago and I swear it felt like a family pet died.

Open source or not, the bottom line is the IPhone OS is simply easier to use than any Droid phone.

My grandmother and my 19 month old daughter can play without any instruction on my IPhone. I've had three other smart phones before I went with Apple and I've never been happier. My wife lost hers months ago and I swear it felt like a family pet died.

That's a odd argument, not sure what its based on.

I think the Iphone is very easy to use....so is the droid. My 6 year old daughter loves playing on my incredible....

Interesting...could it be that they are used to Apple products? The most common complaint I hear about Apple products from people around me is that it's not intuitive. I have an iPod Touch and it's pretty easy to operate, but not any easier than my Incredible. At the same time, any PC is much easier than a Mac (unless you're an Apple guy).

Verizon v ATT is a different debate.

On the phones alone the iPhone wins easily. The Android feels like iPhone prototype.

Are you kidding me, the worst thing about the iphone is the network. the Iphone 4 is losing calls if you don't hold the phone properly. Just read the reviews and it is why Droid ads are saying you can hold the phone any way you want to. Take the phone out of Iphone and it is wonderful hence "itouch".

This pretty much sums it up! NSFW due to language...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

At the same time, any PC is much easier than a Mac (unless you're an Apple guy).

Ease of use is totally subjective. You shouldn't state your opinion as a fact. ;) Every day I have pc users commenting to me on how easy OS X is to use. Some people claim it is difficult without even trying to figure it out, which makes zero sense to me. Some folks do not want to re-learn a new OS, and that is totally fine.

My mom & my girlfriend switched to macs about a year and a half ago. Both Windows people. Both commented on how easy things were to use and to make sense of. They weren't Apple folks before. Things seem to be working out well there. People want iPads because they are so easy to use. Same reason folks want an iPhone.

Archived