Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Android vs Iphone - Public Poll

TMK9973

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Here it is in a nutshell....

Lots of people hate AT&T/ Love Verizon.... In some areas, the AT&T hate is probably justified. In mine, its not, but, since there is no iPhone on Verizon, despite constant rumors, there are people who are not willing/scared to get an iPhone because they won't have service or they buy into the idea that they won't (like my dad) so they stick with Verizon and use an iPhone clone and love it.

Mark my words, when the iPhone finally gets to Verizon, and it will at some point, people will be coming out of the closet everywhere and getting one. Android will probably die...

If Verizon had gotten the iPhone now, I think Android would have fallen big time.

Just my opinion...

Lots of people hate AT&T/ Love Verizon.... In some areas, the AT&T hate is probably justified. In mine, its not, but, since there is no iPhone on Verizon, despite constant rumors, there are people who are not willing/scared to get an iPhone because they won't have service or they buy into the idea that they won't (like my dad) so they stick with Verizon and use an iPhone clone and love it.

Mark my words, when the iPhone finally gets to Verizon, and it will at some point, people will be coming out of the closet everywhere and getting one. Android will probably die...

If Verizon had gotten the iPhone now, I think Android would have fallen big time.

Just my opinion...

I don't know if Android will die, but when iPhone makes the jump, I will almost certainly be getting it. I just don't want to leave Verizon. I'm a brand loyalist and have been with it since Cellular One days. Plus everything else that I have is Verizon, and paying one bill is easier than paying two. :)

I don't know if Android will die, but when iPhone makes the jump, I will almost certainly be getting it. I just don't want to leave Verizon. I'm a brand loyalist and have been with it since Cellular One days. Plus everything else that I have is Verizon, and paying one bill is easier than paying two. :)

So all the people that stood in line for the Sprint 4G and Droid Incredible are non-existent? Are the supply shortages of many of the droids a myth? Can people only stand in line for the iphone? Android is activating 160,000 plus units a day and is exploding as we speak. Sorry apple fan-boy, android is here to stay :pfft: :ols:... BTW I decided to get a Moto droid over the iphone, where I have been blown away. The openness of the platform (and Google navigation) is what did it for me. I can do what ever I want to my phone and not have Steve Jobs tell me whats best for me!

Google Android Sales Reach 160,000 A Day; Growing By 60 Percent Every Month

It’s too bad that Google’s business model isn’t to charge for the Android operating system—because it’s selling like hotcakes.

Google (NSDQ: GOOG) CEO Eric Schmidt told The Guardian in an interview that the company is now activating 160,000 Android phones a day, up from only 100,000 a day in mid-May—indicating a monthly growth rate of 60 percent. At this rate, Google is activating 4.8 million devices a month and nearly 15 million a quarter. The trajectory is astounding considering that it was activating only 60,000 a day in February, but still pales in comparison to Apple, which reported 600,000 iPhone 4 orders in a single day last week.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-google-android-sales-reach-160000-a-day-growing-by-60-percent-every-mon/

Yeah, I am on Verizon and if the iPhone made its way there, I would probably get it. But for me, Verizon's service is just so much better, so I am not going anywhere. I have been on AT&T and Sprint in the past, and for me, they do not compare.

Just my opinion...

don't underestimate the open-source/Apple-hating market.

Development: Android wins on this one. Well-managed, open-source projects have the resources to overtake anything, in terms of development, support and community. With open-source, you can attract participants from all around the world, from different walks of life and with different abilities. You're not boxing your own employees as in a closed-source project, as is Apple. While open-source projects typically aren't the most successful in terms of market share, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a superior product if you go open-source.

I think Android being open-source is a good and bad thing. Great because, as you said, there is such a huge pool of talent to have develop the OS. At the same time though, because it is open-source not everything will work flawlessly.

People piss on Apple for having a closed OS, but I think its the best option to preserve their "it just works" marketing.

Yea both phones basically do the same. I prefer the droid because I prefer verizon and prefer the open source. I hate apple because I dont want to be restricted to only apple. Closes off all competition and my chances of getting the same thing for a better price.

Blackest in the end Open Source > Closed Source

Firefox is proof of that.

Yeah, just like Linux > Windows. :evilg:

Yea both phones basically do the same. I prefer the droid because I prefer verizon and prefer the open source. I hate apple because I dont want to be restricted to only apple. Closes off all competition and my chances of getting the same thing for a better price.

What do you mean restricted to only Apple? I am totally confused.

What do you mean restricted to only Apple? I am totally confused.

I mean all the syncing and all that either doesnt work with other products or doesnt work well. Specifically, my wife had an ipod and they require you to use itunes to use music and we hated itunes. Cant use anything else though. They keep it so if you buy one apple product, you need other apple products to utilize all the features properly unless you hack their equipment.

They keep it so if you buy one apple product, you need other apple products to utilize all the features properly unless you hack their equipment.

Only thing you have to use for an iPod is iTunes. It isn't like they are telling you to use a Mac to sync your iPod. I'm sure they would like you have such an enjoyable experience that you would consider buying a Mac eventually.

Using iTunes makes perfect sense because it is essentially a media hub for all of your content (music, movies, photos, podcasts, apps). You can still use other media players to play your content, you just can't sync your iPod with that. You can download music from any other music service and use those files on your iPod. You can rip your own DVD's and put them on your iPod. Once again, sure Apple would like you to use their service to buy stuff, but it isn't a requirement...except for Apps. But that makes complete sense. The apps are verified and checked for proper functionality. I don't want to download a program and have it suck or have the provider have to push a "kill switch" because it contains malicious content.

Each to their own though.

I mean all the syncing and all that either doesnt work with other products or doesnt work well. Specifically, my wife had an ipod and they require you to use itunes to use music and we hated itunes. Cant use anything else though. They keep it so if you buy one apple product, you need other apple products to utilize all the features properly unless you hack their equipment.

Actually, you can use other music managers instead of itunes. Though I like how itunes does everything in one application. I also like the genius functionality.

Is there an all-in one manager for other phones that easily syncs Music, movies, tv shows, pod casts, books, photos, contacts and games?

I do wish iTunes had a small player option, but as far as managing my device I don't see how anything could be more capable.

Open source is fine and dandy, I do a good bit of work on Linux and Open Solaris. However, for my phone I am fine with having the company that makes the hardware also makes the underlying OS. I am also fine with them vetting applications before they are available. Droid doesn't have that, and if stupid users install an app that they think does one thing, and give it access it can do all sort of nastys if you aren't careful.

I wonder how many that voted droid would change their vote if iPhone was available on Verizon.

Yeah, just like Linux > Windows. :evilg:

Well in all honesty your post is a little naive.

I set my daughter up with Ubuntu linux because I was tired of all of the viruses from facebook, etc. It worked well until I tried to hook up the camera for chatting and making youtube movies and such.

There were a ton of incompatibilities with the Linux drivers and standard eyeball/pc cameras you buy off the market. It got frustrating. The drivers weren't compatible. They had major issues with flash too. So I *almost* bought my daughter a Mac Mini. Well I couldn't find a *non apple* camera that worked with the mac mini. They had the same issues as Ubuntu. Keep in mind Mac is just Unix. To get everything to work correctly I would have had to buy an Apple camera which was price prohibitive. It was cheaper to buy a mac laptop with built in camera...which just works.

Mac has the same problems as Linux if you don't go "Mac Proprietary".

That is a little naive as well. I have a Mac, and use plenty of non-Mac hardware devices. I am surprised you had a camera that wouldn't work witht he Mini.

There are plenty of non-Apple Webcams that work with the mac. Just have to do a few minutes of research.

http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

I am planning on getting one for the kiddos this Christmas. I am tired of their loud ass PC and having to worry about the normal PC things. I will give you the problems of a Windows box, but the wife and I have had no problems with our Macs since we switched 2.5 years ago.

I am a UNIX guy, so I like being able to do some things easily via the command line. And if I need Windows or Solaris or Linux I can fire up a VM or bootcamp.

I set my daughter up with Ubuntu linux because I was tired of all of the viruses from facebook, etc. It worked well until I tried to hook up the camera for chatting and making youtube movies and such.

There were a ton of incompatibilities with the Linux drivers and standard eyeball/pc cameras you buy off the market. It got frustrating. The drivers weren't compatible. They had major issues with flash too. So I *almost* bought my daughter a Mac Mini. Well I couldn't find a *non apple* camera that worked with the mac mini. They had the same issues as Ubuntu. Keep in mind Mac is just Unix. To get everything to work correctly I would have had to buy an Apple camera which was price prohibitive. It was cheaper to buy a mac laptop with built in camera...which just works.

In the post I was replying to, the poster said that open source > closed source. My response was meant to be sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't translate in words only.

I see nothing wrong with open source. But for many things it doesn't always work. I will choose a different emoticon next time :)

That is a little naive as well. I have a Mac, and use plenty of non-Mac hardware devices. I am surprised you had a camera that wouldn't work witht he Mini.

I am planning on getting one for the kiddos this Christmas. I am tired of their loud ass PC and having to worry about the normal PC things. I will give you the problems of a Windows box, but the wife and I have had no problems with our Macs since we switched 2.5 years ago.

I am a UNIX guy, so I like being able to do some things easily via the command line. And if I need Windows or Solaris or Linux I can fire up a VM or bootcamp.

LOL Dude I am a Unix GURU. I have been working with Unix since 1991-2 SunOS and other Unix systems on PC's.

The Mac Mini I *initially* bought didn't have connector for my daughters PC monitor (I would have needed a connector). I also was having problems with Ubuntu and Flash, where the driver wasn't compatible. The same issue existed on the Mac Mini. Trust me, I researched it. And I do know Unix like the back of my had. I couldn't get the flash connection on facebook to work in Ubuntu, and the same problems are documented with the Mac. Just google.

So I tossed the idea of buying the Mac Mini, Apple Camera, connectors to work with the Mac, and new wireless keyboard for the Mac Mini and just got the $999 Mac laptop. It was cheaper, and trust me more time consuming. I am not naive, I am a Unix guru and a technologist. ;)

LOL Dude I am a Unix GURU. I have been working with Unix since 1991-2 SunOS and other Unix systems on PC's.

The Mac Mini I *initially* bought didn't have connector for my daughters PC monitor (I would have needed a connector). I also was having problems with Ubuntu and Flash, where the driver wasn't compatible. The same issue existed on the Mac Mini. Trust me, I researched it. And I do know Unix like the back of my had. I couldn't get the flash connection on facebook to work in Ubuntu, and the same problems are documented with the Mac. Just google.

So I tossed the idea of buying the Mac Mini, Apple Camera, connectors to work with the Mac, and new wireless keyboard for the Mac Mini and just got the $999 Mac laptop. It was cheaper, and trust me more time consuming. I am not naive, I am a Unix guru and a technologist. ;)

Agreed, I am using a mac mini as we speak. Flash consistently crashes my Firefox Browser, literally every-time I use it (way more than my windows pc). Chrome is probably the most stable web browser for mac that I have used. But yeah in general I am having issues.

Agreed, I am using a mac mini as we speak. Flash consistently crashes my Firefox Browser, literally every-time I use it (way more than my windows pc). Chrome is probably the most stable web browser for mac that I have used. But yeah in general I am having issues.

Yeah the Mac "just works" with Apple hardware. And also if the websites you visit don't use .Net you are OK, but .Net is incompatible.

What does you being a UNIX guru have to do with saying you need Apple proprietary hardware on Apple systems?

Since we want to brag, I am a UNIX "guru as well, and have been working with Sun since 1990 and was developing a UNIX based OS in college in the mid 90s. I helped develop a thin-client solution for Sun a few years back. I currently work on 5, multi-million dollar Sun Enterprise Class servers supporting 20k users. I know a thing or two about UNIX as well.

If you did the research on the mini, I believe you. I have not done that yet, and I am surprised. For My Information, why would you need a connector for the monitor? It supposedly comes with an HDMI-DVI connector. Did your daughters Monitor not have a DVI port? I am not doubting you at all, but find it surprising that Apple states on the mini page that it can connect to an Apple Cinema display or your third party monitor.

Android will die because of one phone that finally has a top-quality carrier?

MegaLOL. One ticket to Fantasyland, please.

There's a wide variety of consumer needs out there. There are phones that satisfy many folks' particular needs better than iPhone, just as iPhone is the go-choice for other folks' needs, and that won't change. I mean, we've even had a pitch for WebOS in here. Talk about different strokes.

The user experiences on these top-end phones really aren't that far apart, and I really doubt that they'll get any farther apart unless one manufacturer goes where another can't -- which hasn't happened yet, and which, apart from features that only some users need (Google's free turn-by-turn nav, for instance), probably won't happen. Overall I think it's far more likely that the user experiences will converge a bit more over time. Just as with everything else, the rate of user-need-driven technology development and the onset rate of new killer-apps will fall off considerably. Arguably that has already started.

So predicting the death of Android only makes sense if you're predicting the death of iOS at the same time. Which is to say, not a whole lot of sense.

Yeah the Mac "just works" with Apple hardware. And also if the websites you visit don't use .Net you are OK, but .Net is incompatible.

A UNIX guy worrying about something working with .Net, classic! :silly:

Don't perpetuate lies. My MAC just works with my TC-Electronics G-Major2 with no problem. It works with my Lexicon MX200 as a Hardware Plugin Effects processor with no problem. It works with my M-Audio MIDI interface with no problems. It works with both my HD and non-HD Digital Camcorders with no problem. It works with my Line-6 Pod devices with no problem. It works with my Roland Synthesizer with no problem. It works with my <gasp> Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse out of the box. It works with my HP All-In-One with no-problem.

The only Apple hardware I own is the MAC itself, a Time Capsule, an ipod and an Iphone. Everything else is non-Apple and they all work.

What does you being a UNIX guru have to do with saying you need Apple proprietary hardware on Apple systems?

Since we want to brag, I am a UNIX "guru as well, and have been working with Sun since 1990 and was developing a UNIX based OS in college in the mid 90s. I helped develop a thin-client solution for Sun a few years back. I currently work on 5, multi-million dollar Sun Enterprise Class servers supporting 20k users. I know a thing or two about UNIX as well.

If you did the research on the mini, I believe you. I have not done that yet, and I am surprised. For My Information, why would you need a connector for the monitor? It supposedly comes with an HDMI-DVI connector. Did your daughters Monitor not have a DVI port? I am not doubting you at all, but find it surprising that Apple states on the mini page that it can connect to an Apple Cinema display or your third party monitor.

Uh...my daughter has a standard connector.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A

And google any "generic" camera and read why it doesn't work with flash, just like Linux.

Not bragging, I just didn't want to spend time on Ubuntu or Mac to make a stupid camera work for facebook or skype. There are issues, just google Mac Mini.

Don't throw numbers about how many users your unix servers support. Or "developing' a unix server in college. What are your unix "skills" Can you set up a Yum server? Can you install Unix from the command line? Boot in single user mode and configure DNS? How do you do that? Write bash/korn/csh shells? Provide me with the find command to show files with the term "guru" in a Unix file. Show me your skills.

Trust me, I fondled the Mac/Ubuntu camera options and discovered the Mac with built in camera worked flawlessly and the opposite didn't.

No bragging required.

But go buy your Mac Mini. ;)

Flash has never worked perfectly on any of my Macs. It has always made my CPU go insane. Hopefully the upcoming version will be what so many people have been crying for. Hardware acceleration! Not sure of the release date but I think a beta is out right now.

I have a ton of non-Apple hardware and it all works perfectly fine.

What sites are you going to that do not work well that end in .net? I haven't run into that before. Then again, I don't go to a lot of .net sites.

A UNIX guy worrying about something working with .Net, classic! :silly:

Don't perpetuate lies. My MAC just works with my TC-Electronics G-Major2 with no problem. It works with my Lexicon MX200 as a Hardware Plugin Effects processor with no problem. It works with my M-Audio MIDI interface with no problems. It works with both my HD and non-HD Digital Camcorders with no problem. It works with my Line-6 Pod devices with no problem. It works with my Roland Synthesizer with no problem. It works with my <gasp> Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse out of the box. It works with my HP All-In-One with no-problem.

The only Apple hardware I own is the MAC itself, a Time Capsule, an ipod and an Iphone. Everything else is non-Apple and they all work.

Seriously you make yourself look foolish. Just shut your trap now. Read about .Net and understand how silly you make yourself look. It's frankly embarrassing. ;)

Archived