Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ryanohalloran - Former Redskins QB Brunnell files for bankruptcy

c4man5282

If most of the cause is from business loans on which he co-signed (and upon which the signors obviously defaulted), then it's proof these guys are just dumb, dumb, dumb. It's one thing to trust people, but not with that kind of cash.

This article offers some details into the financial trouble - it looks like he got slammed by the downturn in the real estate market. He was part of a partnership called Champions LLC with ex-Jaguars Joel Smeenge and Todd Fordham that defaulted on a loan for a real estate project in Jacksonville Beach. He also invested in real estate projects that failed Traverse City and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

This article offers some details into the financial trouble - it looks like he got slammed by the downturn in the real estate market. He was part of a partnership called Champions LLC with ex-Jaguars Joel Smeenge and Todd Fordham that defaulted on a loan for a real estate project in Jacksonville Beach. He also invested in real estate projects that failed Traverse City and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Lots of folks took a bath in real estate over the last couple of years - its been a very difficult period for all kinds of investments. Its a bit like betting though - if you are so expossed on an investment that you cant pay it back if it goes bad you made a poor decision getting involved in the first place.

People who earned as much as Mark have no business going bankrupt. By all means make some of your money work for you but too many people make investments believing its a one way bet - prices can and do go down as well as up!

Like many of those who lost big with the Madoff Ponzi scheme rich people sometimes over reach themselves in an effort to get even more rich.

I liked Mark and hope he gets back on his feet.

Is he personally filing for bankruptcy or his corporation is filing? I could understand his real estate corporation going bankrupt, but you have to believe he has some money saved up. He just made $1.8 million last year so I be surprised if he would throw every penny he had in real estate.

A huge number of players file BK within 2 years of leaving the league. I believe the stat is 40%.

I wouldn't trade places with any NFL player.

Brunnell was just faster than most.

On the 106.7 interview with Joe Gibbs 78% of NFL players are bankrupt within 3 years of leaving the NFL. It came up because Gibbs and Strayer are sponsoring some free financial education seminars for players. They just did their first seminar with the Redskins and plan on offering it to the league.

I think they got that stat from this sports illustrated article:

By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/index.htm

I'm guessing he personally is not bankrupt, and that it is simply the corporation he owned went bankrupt. If anything Brunell was extremely smart for forming a LLC so that the liabilities he had in his business ventures wouldn't spill over and affect his personal income that wasn't invested in real estate.

On the 106.7 interview with Joe Gibbs 78% of NFL players are bankrupt within 3 years of leaving the NFL. It came up because Gibbs and Strayer are sponsoring some free financial education seminars for players. They just did their first seminar with the Redskins and plan on offering it to the league.

I think they got that stat from this sports illustrated article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/index.htm

I AM WAITING FOR THE DAY WHEN THAT FAT AL HAYNESWORTH goes bankrupt!!! I have never hated any active redskins player more than this ba**ard

I'm guessing he personally is not bankrupt, and that it is simply the corporation he owned went bankrupt. If anything Brunell was extremely smart for forming a LLC so that the liabilities he had in his business ventures wouldn't spill over and affect his personal income that wasn't invested in real estate.

First intelligent post ITT.

It's amazing how stupid people are. Fifty two million dollars and it's gone. Just give me one, and I'll be set for life.

No it isn't.

A lot of people in this thread have very little understanding of Bankruptcy. You do it to protect your assets when you know you are going to lose money. He will pay his creditors pennies on the dollar and come out just peachy on the other side.

Archived