Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should peanuts be banned from planes?

SkinInsite

Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?  

441 members have voted

1. 1. Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?

On the other hand, I also have to admit that I am a little shocked that so many people are so selfish about something so insignificant as a snack, when they could make the lives of others easier and safer by just eating something else.

Well, not really. I read [The Tailgate] :)

Fixed that for you.

No it isn't. Not at all.

That's close to a person per planeload. Not at all insignificant.

If that is the case wouldn't more cases of Peanut Allergies be heard of on airplanes? Especially, when they were more prevalent.

And if the issue is with airborne particles, shouldn't they be wearing masks anyway? Even if they are banned, someone may have had some in the airport with residue on their clothing. Maybe they need to put a "Peanut Air Detector" Machine next to the one that scans for explosive residue. I would also hope they would have an Epi-Pen with them along with an antihistamine at all times.

when is the last time someone died from a peanut allergy. In fact has it ever happend? Everyone is selfish, just likes those who want the world to bow to them because they have an obscure allergy. Why does everyone have to suffer for the extreme minority. I don't even like peanuts like that but i hate to see stuff banned over minor issues like this.

I just flew yesterday, and this issue came up! I thought it was ironic, since we had been discussing this.

Well, JetBlue offers cashews, and the guy next to me asked for some. The stewardess told him apologetically that, "sorry, someone has a nut allergy, so we've been asked not to serve nuts to anyone in rows 7, 8, and 9. I guess it's pretty severe." (We were in row 9).

So he was fine, but then he told me that he was disappointed bc he had brought nuts in his bag. What if he had taken them out before the snacks came around? I think they should have told us at the beginning of the flight about this.

I was right about to ask this question, has there ever been a peanut related breakout on a plane ever?

Study from 2008:

BACKGROUND: Minimal data exist on the prevalence and characteristics of in-flight reactions to foods. OBJECTIVES: To characterize reactions to foods experienced by passengers aboard commercial airplanes and to examine information about flying with a food allergy available from airlines. METHODS: Telephone questionnaires were administered to individuals in a peanut, tree nut, and seed allergy database who self-reported reactions aboard aircraft. Airlines were contacted to obtain information on food allergy policies. RESULTS: Forty-one of 471 individuals reported allergic reactions to food while on airplanes, including 4 reporting more than 1 reaction. Peanuts accounted for most of the reactions. Twenty-one individuals (51%) treated their reactions during flight. Only 12 individuals (29%) reported the reaction to a flight attendant. Six individuals went to an emergency department after landing, including 1 after a flight diversion. Airline personnel were notified of only 3 of these severe reactions. Comparison of information given to 3 different investigators by airline customer service representatives showed that inconsistencies regarding important information occurred, such as whether the airline regularly serves peanuts. CONCLUSIONS: In this group of mainly adults with severe nut/seed allergy, approximately 9% reported experiencing an allergic reaction to food while on board an airplane. Some reactions were serious and potentially life-threatening. Individuals commonly did not inform airline personnel about their experiences. In addition, the quality of information about flying with food allergies available from customer service departments is highly variable and, in some cases, incomplete or inaccurate.

http://allergies.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=allergies&cdn=health&tm=25&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p619.13.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18681085%3Fordinalpos%3D1%26itool%3DEntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This is what this country is coming to.

Bubble Boy

That's one way of looking at it.

Of course, another way is to notice that people are unwilling to give up roughly 15 peanuts out of courtesy.

People make things too difficult.

~Bang

That's one way of looking at it.

Of course, another way is to notice that people are unwilling to give up roughly 15 peanuts out of courtesy.

People make things too difficult.

~Bang

First they charged me $30 for booking my ticket over the phone so I could make sure my wife and I sat next to each other to hold our kids [the seat option was not working since we were booking within 24 hours (family death)]

Then they charged me $25 for using our miles to get one of the tickets free.

Next they charged me $25 for checking 1 bag.

Pittsburgh rental car was 8.95 per car seat (2) per day (6) as well as over 23% in various taxes.

Now you are saying I can't have my 15 peanuts on the flight?

Now you are saying I can't have my 15 peanuts on the flight?

If you can't have some basic compassion for a fellow passenger, perhaps it will help you to know that your flight won't be diverted to another airport, thus avoiding inconvenience to yourself.

You should eat pretzels anyway. It's what John Wayne would do. ;)

If you can't have some basic compassion for a fellow passenger, perhaps it will help you to know that your flight won't be diverted to another airport, thus avoiding inconvenience to yourself.

You should eat pretzels anyway. It's what John Wayne would do. ;)

Oh really? Lets examine the timeline.

The air time from takeoff to touchdown is just under an hour.

0:00-0:10 takeoff

0:10-0:20 fruity flight attendant starts to hand out drinks and talks to every person as he makes his way down the aisle.

0:35 I get my drink

0:36 I open up and begin to shell and eat a large bag of freshly salted peanuts.

0:46 the person in the front row has a reaction.

0:48 we start are decent to Pittsburgh.

0:58 we land.

We aren't getting diverted. I get my Peanuts. The guy gets his help. See how this all would work fine?

when is the last time someone died from a peanut allergy. In fact has it ever happend?

Wikipedia says that about 100 Americans die from peanut allergies each year. More people than from any other allergy problem.

It's not a typical allergy that just makes you sneeze. It makes your throat close up and can cause anaphylactic shock.

Everyone is selfish, just likes those who want the world to bow to them because they have an obscure allergy. Why does everyone have to suffer for the extreme minority. I don't even like peanuts like that but i hate to see stuff banned over minor issues like this.

Doubt it seems minor to them, especially at 38,000 feet. Still, I'm sure they feel terrible about your suffering, having to eat pretzels or chips instead of peanuts for a couple of hours.

Oh really? Lets examine the timeline.

The air time from takeoff to touchdown is just under an hour.

0:00-0:10 takeoff

0:10-0:20 fruity flight attendant starts to hand out drinks and talks to every person as he makes his way down the aisle.

0:35 I get my drink

0:36 I open up and begin to shell and eat a large bag of freshly salted peanuts.

0:46 the person in the front row has a reaction.

0:48 we start are decent to Pittsburgh.

0:58 we land.

We aren't getting diverted. I get my Peanuts. The guy gets his help. See how this all would work fine?

This is a remarkably stupid post. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Why would anyone go to Pittsburgh? :silly:

Okay, on very short flights where the nearest emergency airport is the destination airport, you won't be inconvenienced in that manner.

Of course, you'll have to wait for the EMTs to come on board and wheel the guy in 7A off the plane and on to the hospital. That's pretty annoying too. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone go to Pittsburgh? :silly:

I ask myself that every day after I moved up here :doh:. Considering everybody who used to live here left, it is slightly less annoying without all those Steelers fans that went elsewhere.

OTOH, if the guy on the airplane who was allergic to peanuts was a Cowboys fan, don't tell me you wouldn't be tempted.... :evil:

Wikipedia says that about 100 Americans die from peanut allergies each year. More people than from any other allergy problem.

It's not a typical allergy that just makes you sneeze. It makes your throat close up and can cause anaphylactic shock.

Doubt it seems minor to them, especially at 38,000 feet. Still, I'm sure they feel terrible about your suffering, having to eat pretzels or chips instead of peanuts for a couple of hours.

OK I meant when was the last time someone died from a peanut allergy while on a plane? But I think you knew that ;)

Once again, if you have such a serious reaction then YOU should do your due diligence and find a airline that doesn't serve peanuts. You shouldn't expect the whole country to bend to your obscure allergy. If my child had a peanut allergy then I would take steps to prevent them coming in contact with peanuts, I wouldn't expect people to bend to my childs allergy, but that's just me...

Archived