Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should peanuts be banned from planes?

SkinInsite

Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?  

441 members have voted

1. 1. Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?

Just so many people in this thread are aware, the issue is that peanuts allergies in some people can be so severe that just breathing near them can cause serious, even deadly allergic reactions. It's the only allergy I'm aware of that has this issue, at least with any significant number of people.

I don't think the government should ban peanuts on flights (especially since many airlines have stopped serving them for this reason), but I also don't understand the group of people that seem willing to either risk the health of these people, or demand that they not fly (which is usually not a problem, but can be if one needs to visit a sick relative, or go overseas).

Just eat pretzels. It's not such a huge sacrifice.

First, I would just like to say I love the Mark Twain quote in your sig.

On topic though, I am aware that there are people who are allergic to peanuts, we have posted that .6 - 1.5% of the population is, but what percentage of those are that deathly allergic? Surely you aren't suggesting that all those that are allergic are deathly allergic.

Bottom line is banning peanuts on a flight when no one is allergic is idiotic and eating peanuts on a flight when you know someone's allergic is being a douchebag.

Exactly, if there's a food allergy, make it known, they will announce it, and everyone should be fine.

On topic though, I am aware that there are people who are allergic to peanuts, we have posted that .6 - 1.5% of the population is, but what percentage of those are that deathly allergic? Surely you aren't suggesting that all those that are allergic are deathly allergic.

No, the number is a small subset of those with allergies, but the consequences are dire, and peanuts are hardly an essential component of comfortable travel. There are many substitutes.

Common courtesy is wonderful, but it relies on the responsibility of 300+ random people. It's easier for airlines to not serve them. Peanuts aren't a right.

a classmate of my daughter went to the hospital due to smelling peanuts that were right next to her.

Seems very odd, but i agree with Bang, 11 peanuts in a shotbag doesn't seem worth it.

Bring out the Turkey sammiches instead so we can all fall asleep.

No more than fat people should be banned.

No more than smelly people should be banned.

No more that obnoxious people should be banned.

Put a mask on if you are allergic.

Can we ban fat, smelly, obnoxious people with peanut allergies? I think that would be a far more satisfying solution.

:silly:

Ya'll do realize that anaphylactic reactions aren't funny and people can die from them right? This isn't a matter of someone sneezing from being allergic to ragweed, this is something that is extremely dangerous and can kill people in little to no time at all.
I am one of those people, I don't need the ****ing government to protect me. I've flown plenty and I'm smart enough to avoid eating goddam peanuts. If the airlines want to do it, I don't care, but I will not be the helpless victim that government stands up for.

and yes, I have a life threatening peanut allergy

As I understand it, peanut allergies are not like other food allergies. They are much more dangerous, and the people who are affected can be much more sensitive.

How many of you would be happy if your flight to Aruba had to make an emergency landing in Mobile Alabama because someone went into shock or died?

There are a ton of substitutes for peanuts. Take your "oh my FREEDOM!!!" nonsense to some thread where it matters. :silly:

Just so many people in this thread are aware, the issue is that peanuts allergies in some people can be so severe that just breathing near them can cause serious, even deadly allergic reactions.
Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein. In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/nut_allergy.html

flying back from hawaii I had to sit across from a smelly hippy who obviously declared war on deodorant. I was literally getting physically Ill from his stench. then when I sprayed some axe he freaked out and said he was "scent sensitive" lmao I replied that so was I and if he had bothered to shower before a 6 hour flight I wouldnt have sprayed axe.

4,605,098 people in the United States alone, you do realize that's about the population of the entire state of Kentucky (rather Commonwealth). I'd say that's substantial.

No, you said a substantial portion of the population, which is defined as "a part of a whole." In other words, a percentage of a whole. Nowhere is .06-1.5% considered substantial anything.

And no one cares about Kentucky, so you're wrong on both counts. Go breed me a horse, bleeding heart.;)

Just eat pretzels. It's not such a huge sacrifice.

You and I both know pretzels suck compared to peanuts, so don't even try it.

Fact: Pretzels are carb-heavy, peanuts are protein-y goodness.

Fact: Pretzels make you thirsty, peanuts make you manly.

Fact: Both can be honey roasted, but honey-roasted peanuts rule, so back the hell off.:pfft:

Fact: What snack is mentioned in the classic baseball song, Take me Out to the Ballgame? Do they say, "Buy me some pretzels and crackerjack?" Of course not, whoever wrote the song would have been drug into the street and shot for such a ridiculous line. It's PEANUTS and Crackerjack...crackerjack that contains MORE PEANUTS, I might add.

15% of the population is allergic to pets.

Should we ban dogs and cats on planes?

Other things that can cause an anaphylaxis reaction:

Latex, bananas, avocados, kiwi fruit, figs, or other fruits and vegetables including even potatoes and tomatoes, fish and less commonly spices.

Guess that means no joining the mile high club ;)

1) Didn't we have this argument about a year ago with an ES member whose child had an allergy to peanuts and they banned it at the school? Nothing was solved in that argument.

2) Why do you HAVE to eat on a plane for a 2 hour flight? Eat before you leave in the morning. This is why this country is obese. We EXPECT to be fed everytime we go somewhere.

I've flown plenty and I'm smart enough to avoid eating goddam peanuts.

This isn't elementary school, where the issue is stupid kids trading lunches (a real problem in its own right).

This is about a small but real subset that are so allergic that they can have a reaction triggered by breathing it in.

In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar)

Or like an airplane with recirculated air?

If you are so seriously allergic that being near peanuts can cause you harm, you should carry an epipen at all times.

Yes, you should, but epipens are hardly a panacea. They aren't guaranteed to work, and application is in itself dangerous. You're basically flooding the body with otherwise dangerous levels of epinepherine.

Thi

Yes, you should, but epipens are hardly a panacea. They aren't guaranteed to work, and application is in itself dangerous. You're basically flooding the body with otherwise dangerous levels of epinepherine.

It's safe enough for the FDA to approve and allow doc's to prescribe for average americans to self administer as needed.

Although, I'm sure the FAA/TSA doesn't want them on board. Something that occured to me as I typed this.

Archived