Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should peanuts be banned from planes?

SkinInsite

Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?  

441 members have voted

1. 1. Contest: What will be the Redskins 2010 Regular Season Record?

Aimee Katz Zipkin, the mother of a 3-year-old girl with a severe peanut allergy, has been too afraid to get on an airplane with her daughter, worried that passengers enjoying the snacks could endanger the child.

"If you so desire, take a bath in peanuts," she said, "but if you're 30,000 feet up and someone has an allergic reaction, then the plane is going to have to go into emergency landing in God knows where, so why would you want to take that risk?"

The U.S. Department of Transportation's recent proposals for improving air travel include the possibility of banning packets of peanuts to accommodate those allergic to the nuts.

"The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination by U.S. and foreign air carriers against individuals with disabilities," the proposal reads. "Airline passengers with severe allergies to peanuts have a qualifying disability."

Blog: Hiding from nuts on planes

The DOT wants to hear from the public about this and is considering four alternative plans of action. Should it ban peanuts from aircrafts outright; provide a peanut-free flight when requested in advance; install a peanut-free buffer zone around a passenger; or do nothing?

more...

They can take my peanuts when they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

I cannot remember the last time I got peanuts on a flight. It's usually pretzels now ... probably because of that.

Yep, same here, I can't remember the last peanut I got on a plane.

And the worst part .... these pretzels are making me thirsty! ... and that damn drink cart doesnt come around enough haha.

Easy remedy...ask for it in the can.

BTW, that reminds me of my favorite National Lampoon's joke.

Ya'll do realize that anaphylactic reactions aren't funny and people can die from them right? This isn't a matter of someone sneezing from being allergic to ragweed, this is something that is extremely dangerous and can kill people in little to no time at all.

Nobody said they are funny....it's just absurd that we have to cater to every single person.

If she has an allergy to peanuts, there are a few different things she can do: Call the airline ahead and explain the situation. They may be one that only serves pretzels, if not, find one that does. If she gets nowhere with that, there are other modes of transportation. There are steps that can be taken instead of banning them. This is crazy....

Uuh, if you or anyone you plan on flying with, is knowingly allergic to peanuts, then don't fly. Ride the train. Or tell those corporate guys to universally switch from peanuts to Grandma's cookies for everyone.

So people who are allergic shouldn't fly? Ok...tell ya what let's just stick to soccer this morning.

I cannot remember the last time I got peanuts on a flight. It's usually pretzels now ... probably because of that.

And the worst part .... these pretzels are making me thirsty! ... and that damn drink cart doesnt come around enough haha.

United doesn't serve peanuts anymore, so usually i bring my own nut mix on long flights. Nobody keeled over yet.

Nobody said they are funny....it's just absurd that we have to cater to every single person.

You're not having to cater to "every single person", it's not like there is only one person who is allergic to peanuts, it's a substantial portion of the population that is allergic to peanuts.

If she has an allergy to peanuts, there are a few different things she can do: Call the airline ahead and explain the situation. They may be one that only serves pretzels, if not, find one that does. If she gets nowhere with that, there are other modes of transportation. There are steps that can be taken instead of banning them. This is crazy....

Agreed the vast majority of people with severe food allergies have learned to be proactive in the avoidance, and for the most part this works well.

Personally, I think a ban is unnecessary because it seems redundant in that most airlines have stopped serving peanuts to begin with.

You're not having to cater to "every single person", it's not like there is only one person who is allergic to peanuts, it's a substantial portion of the population that is allergic to peanuts.

:ols:

Come on....I've seen you tear into people before for making unfounded statements like this. Here, I did some Googling for you:

"How many people have a peanut allergy?

Recent population based studies in the United States, UK, and Canada estimate that approximately 0.6 – 1.5% of the U.S. population has a peanut allergy."

http://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/nutrition-foodallergy_questions.php

:ols:

Come on....I've seen you tear into people before for making unfounded statements like this. Here, I did some Googling for you:

"How many people have a peanut allergy?

Recent population based studies in the United States, UK, and Canada estimate that approximately 0.6 – 1.5% of the U.S. population has a peanut allergy."

http://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/nutrition-foodallergy_questions.php

4,605,098 people in the United States alone, you do realize that's about the population of the entire state of Kentucky (rather Commonwealth). I'd say that's substantial.

4,605,098 people in the United States alone, you do realize that's about the population of the entire state of Kentucky (rather Commonwealth). I'd say that's substantial.

I wouldn't call .6 - 1.5% of the population "substantial", but to each his own.

The thing is, say peanuts were to be banned on flights. Why stop there? You might as well ban all foods in public places as well as fragrances, etc..

What about at sporting arenas? All of them have peanuts. I mean, it would be a never-ending series of bans.

I got peanuts to and from DC on a recent flight from Atlanta (Delta). My daughter is under 2, so doesn't get peanuts yet, and LOVES those shortbread cookie things. Both ways I asked them for something else instead, and they said they had nothing else on the plane. No pretzels, no cookies, no nothing. It struck me as odd, given the peanut allergies issue.

I don't see why this is a big deal. Usually the concern with schools is about kids trading lunches, or getting the fingers of a kid who had pb&j in their mouth or whatever. How is that going to happen on a plane? Keep control of your kids and it seems like a non-issue to me. I respect the allergy, and pray my daughter doesn't have it, but it's not as if people who are allergic can't be in the same room as a peanut...

*Edit* - okay, apparently I'm wrong about that last part. Pretzels taste better anyway

Pretty sure if you asked for something else to snack on they would accomodate you. If someone is allergic, don't eat it. Is that too hard?

As for those that haven't had peanuts on a flight in a while I traveled last week quite a bit and got nothing but peanuts on Southwest. I'm totally peanut'ed out right about now.

So people who are allergic shouldn't fly? Ok...tell ya what let's just stick to soccer this morning.

Yes! Last time I checked smart guy, people who are allergic to tomato sauce don't eat anything that contains tomatoe sauce. People who are allergic o rasberry don't eat anything that contains rasberry. If you are allergic to peanuts, don't eat peanuts. If your allergies are so bad that you can't be around people who eat peanuts, then don't fly.It reduces the risk of a severe allergic reaction 3,00 ft. in the air, which is not a good place to be. There are other means of transportation, just so you know.

Nice to see you in such a good mood

The peanuts are sealed in bags. Don't open the bag or eat peanuts and those allergic will be fine.

Just so many people in this thread are aware, the issue is that peanuts allergies in some people can be so severe that just breathing near them can cause serious, even deadly allergic reactions. It's the only allergy I'm aware of that has this issue, at least with any significant number of people.

I don't think the government should ban peanuts on flights (especially since many airlines have stopped serving them for this reason), but I also don't understand the group of people that seem willing to either risk the health of these people, or demand that they not fly (which is usually not a problem, but can be if one needs to visit a sick relative, or go overseas).

Just eat pretzels. It's not such a huge sacrifice.

Not substantial considering the other side of that, there are 762,911,235 people who are not, you do realize that's about the population of the entire other 49 states + US territories. I'd say that's substantial. But again, I haven't gotten peanuts in years, and pretzels really do suck.

Deodorant should be REQUIRED to get onto an airplane.......Breathmints too.....

Those things should be but they are not.

I believe magazine/books should be required as well. At the very least some type of crossword or video game. I hate the random people that want to have conversations with me on the plane.

A little common sense and courtesy will solve this problem without a ban.

On a flight from London to Rome one of the passenger's daughter sitting behind me had peanut allergy. The flight attendant announced over the intercom for other passenger to refrain from eating peanut based snacked. And no one complained.

Archived