Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do soccer fans want me to watch soccer so badly?

The question about hating soccer is fair. So, I would like to add the flip side. I have three or four friends who are absolutely adament that I would love soccer if I just gave it time. I've actually had to ask one of them to stop trying to turn me into a fan as I am not interested.

And while this is not true of all soccer fans, there is certainly a large evangelical subset among the soccer crowd. I mean, I find it interesting that in the past three years more people have asked to watch soccer with them than have asked me to start going to church with them.

So....why is it so important to soccer fans that the game become popular here?

I could understand this passion 20 years ago when the only way to watch soccer was on grainy tapes. Now, it's on ESPN, International cable stations, etc. I'm pretty sure that you can see most EPL games in the states without too much effort now. So, you don't need the rest of us to see the games.

Explain, yourselves!!!

I have three or four friends who are absolutely adament that I would love soccer if I just gave it time.

It's for your own safety, and the safety of others.

Otherwise lacrosse may fill the void, and we don't need any more sociopaths.

Really, I want all of you to watch cricket

Its the one thing Pakistan excels in without having to resort blowing others up :)

Now if someone told me I don't like Cricket because I don't understand the sport I'd fully agree.

What the hell is going on in that sport? That must be the most confusing sport I've ever seen.

Really, I want all of you to watch cricket

Its the one thing Pakistan excels in without having to resort blowing others up :)

Dude, I've watched a couple of matches, I've read the Wikipedia entry for the rules of cricket literally ten times, maybe more, and I still don't understand it.

I want you to watch soccer? Really?

Here's the reality. I don't. If you do please don't do so around me. I hate when a US sports fan "experimenting" pops up in my vicinity while I'm enjoying a game to annoy me. I want to be surrounded with soccer fans during the world cup whenever possible.

Imagine watching the NFL playoffs at a bar and having a Frenchmen pull up next to you and start saying things like this:

"Why is that a foul?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!" followed by a smirk

"Why does this stupid sport stop all the time?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!"

"Why isn't that a foul?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!"

"OMG another commercial break?!"

"I can see why this game isn't popular worldwide!" followed by a smirk

"They aren't scoring enough touchdowns, we've been sitting here for half the game and they've only scored twice... how hard can it be to run with a ball?!"

"This game will never be popular in the rest of the world"

That is what people forcing themselves to watch soccer are like much of the time. It's the world cup. It's the biggest sporting event on the planet and something the nations in it have been working for YEARS (literally) to reach. You think I want to explain basic **** and deal with moronic comments?

If you can't appreciate it, don't. The World Cup is in absolutely no danger of ceasing to be due to the absence of US enthusiasm. They've never needed US sports fan support and they likely never will. The only thing that matters to me is that I get to enjoy it because I love it. It's like March Madness x100. I only get to do this once every 4 years.

I'm with Destino. I really don't care if others enjoy it. I do.

What I care about is the need many Americans have to immediately tell you how much they think soccer sucks when I'm trying to watch it. We get it- you don't like it and you think it's boring. Now go watch a 4.5 hour baseball game with 30 seconds in between pitches and leave me alone.

The thing that really gets me about soccer is its probably the one major sport, where the best strategy to win is to play not to lose. And that blows.

That's the case when the skill level between the teams is disproportionate. Look at North Korea for example. Against Brazil they bottled up and kept the game close. Against Portugal they decided to play more offense and got themselves a 7-0 historic beating.

That is not the best way for Brazil to beat Spain for example. Both have midfields and forwards that can take the fight to the other. They are best served by playing most of the game in the other teams half. This option doesn't exist for North Korea.

I don't particularly care if people like soccer.

I do care that people respect the World Cup.

I am of the firm belief that soccer/football/futbol/fodbold is a fabulous sport. Those who claim it's boring because teams "play to win" aren't invested in the game, and miss the nuances that make it incredibly exciting.

But if you don't want to like soccer, that's your right. Sports fandom is an opinion and you have a right to your own.

Like I said, however, appreciating the World Cup should be mandatory.

The thing that really gets me about soccer is its probably the one major sport, where the best strategy to win is to play not to lose. And that blows.

Not necessarily. I mean if North Korea wants to stand a chance against Brazil what the heck do you expect them to do? Go out guns blazing? That's what gets you beat 7-0.

I can see where you're coming from but the storyline of will the underdog's composure and organization beat the powerhouse's raw talent is very compelling, at least to me. Didn't work for North Korea. Worked for Switzerland.

Archived