Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports bog: George Starke on Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato

SkinsHokieFan

Click here for rest

George Starke on Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato

The Redskins hosted about 60 former players at the final day of mandatory minicamp on Thursday. We will write many, many words about this event, because it was awesome, and because the turf field was brimming with stories from the likes of Mark Moseley, Sam Huff, Neal Olkewicz, Pat Fischer, Gary Clark, Bobby Mitchell, Art Monk, Clint Didier, Roy Jefferson and on and on and on.

After the media left for post-practice interviews, Bruce Allen addressed many of the alumni down on the field, telling them he wants them to be involved in every training camp, and that they should "let us know how we can help you in your lives." The ex-players loved it, talking about how important it is for them to feel wanted and connected to the franchise, and how special it is for them to see all the old faces.

And at least one of the players very explicitly contrasted this with the immediate past.

"The first thing it means is that the change in the administration from Cerrato to Bruce Allen is a good thing for the Washington Redskins, because Vinny didn't like us around," said legendary Hog George Starke. "He didn't like former Redskins. He wasn't part of this family. And as a result of that, the Redskins never went anywhere. You know, [most] of these guys out there on that field have never been in the playoffs. On this side, you've got guys here with four rings.

Click link for rest

Vinny didn't want them around?

:wtf:

I don't necessarily agree with Satrke's implication that the Redskins' lack of success was somehow related to these players not being invited but damn why in the world would you not want these guys around? At the very least to honor what they've done for the franchise.

I commented on this in the OTA thread, but I'll say it here too. Its these types of little acts that really restore the respect we've been missing for a decade. Whether its bowling with former greats and current players, sharing valuable advice, or just being there, it gives current players a sense of family and unity. We have such a rich history, I'm glad Bruce is cashing in on it.

What better way to motivate current players than letting them meet people who've been to the top of their profession?

Yeah, this organization has such a long history that it should be embraced not shunned. I understand not living in the past, but it's easy to be mindful of the past and honor it whilst looking towards the future.

Was Vinny just kind of an insecure weasel?

Or was he socially awkward, and just didn't want to deal with these types of events?

I can't believe Snyder kept him around for so long.

He probably was picked on by jocks as a kid and so when he got "his" team he thumbed his nose at them.

I think its cool to have all the old guys around. The Yankees have old-timers day when all the former players come to the park and hang out with each other and the current players. Certainly nothing bad can come from this. It gives the current players some perspective and it goes to show if you win, the fans will love you.

Agreed, Old Bay. That was just a symptom.

I can't believe Cerrato didn't want them around. What better way to motivate current players than letting them meet people who've been to the top of their profession?

Cerrato had no appreciation of the rich, Redskin history b/c he was never a part of it.

Makes me wonder why he was even there today.

What a refreshing change. Can we please refer to VC as "he who shall not be named" from now on? ;)

I second this! The culture of winning and tradition now re-established by Shanahan and Allen is one of the (if not THE) most important thing that was missing from the franchise.

Cerrato wasn't well-liked by those in the 49ers organization either who had won Super Bowls because they realized he hung onto their coattails and continued to sell himself as an 'architect' of the 1994 winners.

Everyone knew that was far from the truth.

The irony is that the OC in SF was Shanahan so he knew the backstory on Vinny.

I can't help thinking of Vinny-the-Bobblehead as a Chester type....... remember Chester?

54052647_62b6be1848.jpg

Always hanging on Spike's coattails, always pretending to be "in" on things, and never grasping that he will always have to settle for wannabe status. I am not at all surprised that he was the force behind the alumni being shut out of the franchise. He has always been such an insecure poseur.

What started as a lousy day with all the AH crap flying turned out to be one great day in Redskins history. I cannot imagine anything that could possibly show the contrast between where we was and where we be. To hear Art Monk speak on the subject, you know it's a big deal. Listen to Pat Fischer, there's a guy that gets it. Down the road we are going to be able to point at this day, this very special day and something Bruce Allen gave to us all, and say "There's when it all got going again".

The team is really turning around at this point and I think it pays dividends pretty much right away. London Fletcher is finally taken control of the team as the defensive leader, and I mean without question. HE is the now generation of the old school players George speaks of. Thanks Bruce Allen. Thanks Mike Shannahan and thanks Mr. Snyder. This team is on the up swing, finally.

Archived